Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Murphy has had surgery on his knee apparently. Expected to miss half of the league.

I'd have been in favour of him missing most of it anyway but this is a blow. Last year was probably the leanest / fittest he's ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Division 3 here we come!

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Division 3 here we come!

Send it into Wappa.

Send it into Wappa.

Ha. Those were the days.

In all seriousness...

It's good that he has the time off. Plays far too much. But, 'surgery' never sounds good. Is this something that has just happened or has it been lingering I wonder? There were certain free passed up/kicked short last year that made me wonder. But would that be related to a knee issue? I don't know.

But, when was the last time we won a meaningful game when Michael wasn't playing (not counting McKenna Cup obviously)? I can't recall. I used to keep records but haven't updated them for a while now. I don't know if we have managed it in the last 5 years? Cavan in the 2012 Championship maybe? Drew with Mayo in the 2015 League. Beat (relegated) Armagh from Division 1 in 2012 without him or Paddy. That's all I can find.

Of course, we are missing Paddy for all or most of the League.

Odhran MacNiallais will miss the first few games.

Hmm.

Looks like Ryan McHugh and Jamie Brennan on frees? Maybe Langan. Hugh McFadden will be lurking also.

No sign of Eoghan Bán yet. Gweedore players not available for first 3 games at least.

The first 3 games are games we should be looking to win, but given the players we are missing, we could really struggle, especially with two games away from home.

And, even if we get players back after the Tipp match, the next game is in........LETTER****INGKENNY

We would lose to London if we played them there.

And then we have possibly the toughest stretch - Armagh at home, Cork away and Kildare in North Leitrim.

Could be tight enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Murt15

In all seriousness...

It's good that he has the time off. Plays far too much. But, 'surgery' never sounds good. Is this something that has just happened or has it been lingering I wonder? There were certain free passed up/kicked short last year that made me wonder. But would that be related to a knee issue? I don't know.

But, when was the last time we won a meaningful game when Michael wasn't playing (not counting McKenna Cup obviously)? I can't recall. I used to keep records but haven't updated them for a while now. I don't know if we have managed it in the last 5 years? Cavan in the 2012 Championship maybe? Drew with Mayo in the 2015 League. Beat (relegated) Armagh from Division 1 in 2012 without him or Paddy. That's all I can find.

Of course, we are missing Paddy for all or most of the League.

Odhran MacNiallais will miss the first few games.

Hmm.

Looks like Ryan McHugh and Jamie Brennan on frees? Maybe Langan. Hugh McFadden will be lurking also.

No sign of Eoghan Bán yet. Gweedore players not available for first 3 games at least.

The first 3 games are games we should be looking to win, but given the players we are missing, we could really struggle, especially with two games away from home.

And, even if we get players back after the Tipp match, the next game is in........LETTER****INGKENNY

We would lose to London if we played them there.

And then we have possibly the toughest stretch - Armagh at home, Cork away and Kildare in North Leitrim.

Could be tight enough.

I'd imagine frees will be Thompson right side and Langan left side. Niall O Donnell for a few handier shorter ones.

Murt15 wrote:
    I'd imagine frees will be Thompson right side and Langan left side. Niall O Donnell for a few handier shorter ones.

Good point on Thompson, forgot all about him for a minute.

Ryan McHugh kicks the odd 45 for Kilcar doesn't he? Can't recall him ever kicking one for Donegal.

A few handy frees might be good for Niall.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Murt15

Good point on Thompson, forgot all about him for a minute.

Ryan McHugh kicks the odd 45 for Kilcar doesn't he? Can't recall him ever kicking one for Donegal.

A few handy frees might be good for Niall.

Aye he is well able to hit them for the club and his brother aswell also when Paddy lets them.

Hugh Mc Fadden takes them for Killybegs. I think he got 11 or 12 frees against Naomh Conaill in the 2017 championship. Not sure if he was ever given the chance with the county and can't recall Jamie Brennan either getting a go.

A dark horse for the 45’s could be Caolan Mc Monagle if he gets regular game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭doc_17

One of the Gaoth Dobhair boys could be missing more than just the first 3 games of the league if rumours are to be believed.

doc_17 wrote:
    One of the Gaoth Dobhair boys could be missing more than just the first 3 games of the league if rumours are to be believed.

Hmm, wonder if we have heard the same rumour...

• Advertisement

No news floating through the gap anyway. Do tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Let's just say this old Lee Marvin song might apply to one of our lads...

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Let's just say this old Lee Marvin song might apply to one of our lads...

As long as it's not Odhran we can cope i'd say.

cough, ahem, saying nothing.

:(

It's not Kevin Cassidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

Ah lads :-( :-(

Murt15 wrote: »

Hugh Mc Fadden takes them for Killybegs. I think he got 11 or 12 frees against Naomh Conaill in the 2017 championship. Not sure if he was ever given the chance with the county and can't recall Jamie Brennan either getting a go.

I think I have seen McFadden kick for Donegal, just can't recall when - U21s perhaps.

Only reason I would have mentioned Brennan is cos he is left footed (I think), but that's while I forgot about Thompson.
    A dark horse for the 45’s could be Caolan Mc MGonagle if he gets regular game time.

Aye, I don't know that he will.

Is Rory Carr injured again or is he in the panel?

FFS. Another game in the McKenna Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

FFS. Another game in the McKenna Cup.

Why did yas make of Cavan last night lads? We had a largely inexperienced team out.

We’ve yet to bring back our more experienced lads like McKiernan and Clarke.

• Advertisement

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Why did yas make of Cavan last night lads? We had a largely inexperienced team out.

We’ve yet to bring back our more experienced lads like McKiernan and Clarke.

It's a fitness exercise. Wouldn't take anything from it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

It's a fitness exercise. Wouldn't take anything from it at all.
    Hard to know where either team is at after last night as you say just a fitness exercise, nice to see Ryan back though and langan doing well.
    As for Cavan done a lot of kick passing and finding space inside easy enough just not enough to take the chances .
    We’re still suspect under the high ball in hopefully just need that bit of experience back again.
    And last word to Hugh Mc fadden talking to and helping out the younger lads really growing into that captain role albeit till the mighty returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

My contact in the Gaoth Dobhair squad has heard nothing. Odhran is still owed money from his last trip away.

Aye, it may well just be idle gossip, here's hoping as obviously he's a smashing player and we (club agus condae) need him. Anyway, probably best not to speculate on rumours on here any further than this so I'll leave it at that.

Our McKenna Cup dream is over.

Martin McHugh bemoaning our tackling and taking the ball into contact.

Good to know nothing has changed.

So, if I had to guess who will start against Clare - based on what's been written about Murphy, McGlynn, Paddy McBrearty, plus the fact that we are missing everyone from Gaoth Dobhair and Red Hughs Killygordan

Patton
    McGrath
    McCole (?? Have seen nothing of him, but seems to have played there all through McKenna Cup)
    Ward/Doherty
    Ryan McHugh
    Paul Brennan
    Eoghan Ban (or McCleneghan if EB not fit)
    J McGee
    Captain McFadden
    C Thompson
    McLoone
    O'Donnell
    O'Reilly
    Langan
    Jamie Brennan

Morrison, McGonagle, McElhinney could also start I suppose ahead of Doherty, O'Reilly and McLoone or even O'Donnell. Dunno if Eoin McHugh will be fit or not.

Will be very interesting to see if we can win a game away from home without Murphy, Paddy and our full back from way back.

I see also that there has been no sign of McHugh the elder, McBrearty the younger and Jigger - and manager wouldn't comment on where they are after being included in pre year end training squad.

At least one of them is no loss. Very disappointing that Stephen McBrearty isn't getting more of a chance, for whatever reason. Not seen anything of Jigger for a long time now and doubt he would be good enough to take any of the first choice player, but we lack inside forwards on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

So, if I had to guess who will start against Clare - based on what's been written about Murphy, McGlynn, Paddy McBrearty, plus the fact that we are missing everyone from Gaoth Dobhair and Red Hughs Killygordan

Patton
    McGrath
    McCole (?? Have seen nothing of him, but seems to have played there all through McKenna Cup)
    Ward/Doherty
    Ryan McHugh
    Paul Brennan
    Eoghan Ban (or McCleneghan if EB not fit)
    J McGee
    Captain McFadden
    C Thompson
    McLoone
    O'Donnell
    O'Reilly
    Langan
    Jamie Brennan

Morrison, McGonagle, McElhinney could also start I suppose ahead of Doherty, O'Reilly and McLoone or even O'Donnell. Dunno if Eoin McHugh will be fit or not.

Will be very interesting to see if we can win a game away from home without Murphy, Paddy and our full back from way back.

I see also that there has been no sign of McHugh the elder, McBrearty the younger and Jigger - and manager wouldn't comment on where they are after being included in pre year end training squad.

At least one of them is no loss. Very disappointing that Stephen McBrearty isn't getting more of a chance, for whatever reason. Not seen anything of Jigger for a long time now and doubt he would be good enough to take any of the first choice player, but we lack inside forwards on the panel.

I would imagine Mark Mc Hugh is finished. Has a young kid and has fallen from the heights of previous years. Living a small bit in his younger bros shadow now. He was a great player when we played him in that sweeping role but thats gone now almost. Hasnt found his spot since IMO. S Mc Brearty hasnt come back to training as I understand and Jigger is out injured for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Aye, it may well just be idle gossip, here's hoping as obviously he's a smashing player and we (club agus condae) need him. Anyway, probably best not to speculate on rumours on here any further than this so I'll leave it at that.

He doesn't have wanderlust anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,901 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

2018 Donegal win the McKenna Cup, the Nicky Rackard Cup, Ulster SFC, Ulster Ladies SFC, Ulster Club SFC and Ulster Club JFC, yet have not received a single nomination for the Ulster GAA Writers Association Awards 2018.
    I know we are well used being ignored and forgotten by the Dublin media, but when it comes to being ignored by these so called GAA sports writers in our own province after that haul of titles you would wonder if these so called GAA sports writers actually follow GAA.

• Advertisement

meh.

Just goes to show how little these awards should mean. A load of myopic anoraks sitting around a table spouting sh*te.

Advertisement