Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Cruciate confirmed unfortunately. Rotten luck for a super young talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

doc_17 wrote: »
    Rory Kav should have went for under 17 job.

As for the senior panel, not sure what kind addition Eoin will be. He needs to really step up. Bar scoring a last minute point against Roscommon in 2017 he hasn't done much. Potential is there but he's mid 20s now.

Admittedly he hasn`t done a lot at county level to date, but the few times I have seen him at club level I have been impressed.
    Agree he is at a time where he needs to step up at county level because he does look as if the potential is there.
    Hopefully the break will have done him good and he has a serious cut at nailing down a starting place for the county this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Poor lad can't get a break, really feel for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Rotten news about Gillespie. You're probably looking at least the middle of the summer before he's back fully fit so there's another year with Donegal written off.

On the topic of Gaoth Dobhair. They play Crossmaglen in Omagh at 3.30 Sunday week. Scotstown v Coleraine on before it. Great that both semis are on at the one venue. I'd imagine there'll be a big Donegal interest in this generally.

Red Hugh's are in the Junior final on Saturday week. That's in Celtic Park at 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Irelandfan1990

The young lad can't catch a break at all seems to be 1 injury after another and they all long layoffs. Was really looking forward to seeing him in Donegal jersey next year was going to be like a new player to the squad way he was playing with the club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

Luke Barrett u-16 manager.

Hmm.

Gary Duffy u-17
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Gary Duffy u-17
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Wonder was Rory kavanagh asked was he interested in the position seeing as he won the buncrana cup with the same squad of players this year

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    3 way play off to decide promotion. CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC decided that the tie breaker scenario used by the County Board couldn't/didn't apply to league position, only applicable to Championship. Or at least that's my understanding of it.

Shame on Buncrana and the County Board for this BS. How can the County Board have rules in place that are not even viable? Major, major screw up. Every club knew the tie-breakers before the league started, so for Buncrana to appeal after the league finished just because they missed out is really shameful and I hate when clubs pull this crap. I feel really bad for Killybegs as their season finished mid September and now expected to play until December. So much for shortening the sesaon. I really hope Buncrana miss out, but think they will go up.

Oh yeah, if teams finish level on points in the play-offs, tie breaker will be.....scoring difference, the same as what decided the leagues positions. You simply cannot make this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Lacey is back!

(Doing whatever he did last year)

Lacey is back!

Obviously happy but wtf was all that about?

• Advertisement

Lacey is back!

Happy to hear he's still involved but would like to know what it all was about in the first place. Said work commitments meant he couldn't commit yet he was part of a backroom team going for selection in Roscommon the next week so it didn't all make sense

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Obviously happy but wtf was all that about?

No idea.

Very strange carry on altogether. Great news though!

No idea.

Very strange carry on altogether. Great news though!

Looks like there was more to it than was being told, but maybe one of those thing best to remain unknown.

Whatever it was, great to have him back.

Would think Glenfin getting to the U21 Final is a big enough surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭doc_17

Would think Glenfin getting to the U21 Final is a big enough surprise.

Watched them in an earlier round, poor enough team but well set up by Frank.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

DonegalBay wrote: »
    Shame on Buncrana and the County Board for this BS. How can the County Board have rules in place that are not even viable? Major, major screw up. Every club knew the tie-breakers before the league started, so for Buncrana to appeal after the league finished just because they missed out is really shameful and I hate when clubs pull this crap. I feel really bad for Killybegs as their season finished mid September and now expected to play until December. So much for shortening the sesaon. I really hope Buncrana miss out, but think they will go up.

Oh yeah, if teams finish level on points in the play-offs, tie breaker will be.....scoring difference, the same as what decided the leagues positions. You simply cannot make this up.

Ok so my understanding of all this was that the 3 teams finished level. The rules actually didnt state what happens in league for this only championship. Buncrana asked for clarification and the directive came back from Croker that there was no rule clearly in place for league so they had to play off.

In fairness to Buncrana they had every right to ask for clarification. How often does it happen that the top 3 would finish on even points. Once I can remember maybe.
    Sloppy regulating if you ask me. Buncrana probably hoping that 3 teams would be promoted. Terrible situation to go back training for a play off in November.

doc_17 wrote:
    Watched them in an earlier round, poor enough team but well set up by Frank.

Could get an awful hammering in the Final.

I hope they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Phenomenal performance from Gaoth Dobhair. Great discipline also. If they can replicate that performance, they should be in with a good chance to be crowned Ulster champions.

Phenomenal performance from Gaoth Dobhair. Great discipline also. If they can replicate that performance, they should be in with a good chance to be crowned Ulster champions.

I was talking to one of the Gaoth Dobhair lads during the week and they really fancied their chances of scoring goals. He was right!! They carved Cross open and could have scored three or four more.
    Fair play to RedHughs too on winning the Ulster junior.

Great wins for Red Hughs and Goath Dobhair.

That Cassidy fella playing for Goath Dobahir reminds me of a young Michael Murphy.

Are Gaoth Dobhair that good or is that Crossmaglen team a shadow of their former selves?

DOB needs to see more time for the Donegal Seniors next year.

• Advertisement

Great wins for Red Hughs and Goath Dobhair.

That Cassidy fella playing for Goath Dobahir reminds me of a young Michael Murphy.

Are Gaoth Dobhair that good or is that Crossmaglen team a shadow of their former selves?

DOB needs to see more time for the Donegal Seniors next year.

Cross went man to man pressing high up the pitch . When Gaoth Dobhair broke the first tackle they created overlaps and made hay. Gaoth Dobhair have one of the best full backs in the game and they didn't leave him exposed like the Cross rearguard.

Cross naive to the point it was embarassing. GD have another few gears which is frightening. Considering this is their first run in Ulster since 2006 it’s some achievement getting to the final.

Hopefully they can finish the job.

Scotstown are no mugs and plenty of Ulster experience.

McGees vs Hughes.

A lot of messing is guaranteed.

Would love to see Gaoth Dobhair do it.

Fair play to both Red Hugh`s and Gaoth Dobhair yesterday. Great wins for both. Gaoth Dobhair looked comfortable through-out and always looked as if they had an extra gear if needed. That said to me anyway that Cross team was a poor shadow of what we have seen from them in the past. I thought Daire Ó Baoill and Odhran MacNiallais were excellent yesterday but I doubt things will be as handy around midfield against Scotstown. As said above, from looking at Ó Baoill hope he gets a good run with the county. Good mobility and ball carrying with an eye for the net. Seeing Cassidy this year, regardless that he has nobody to blame but himself on how it ended and all the ****e he has come out with in the past few years,it brings back memories of just how good he was at county.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Probably a bit of both. Gaoth Dobhair were excellent but Rangers made it very easy for them. I think Rangers probably did not expect to be in an Ulster semi-final this year. They had not been in the Armagh final since 2015, which given their dominance, represented a major slump.

They do have a lot of excellent young players but I get a sense that they will not be able to adequately replace their older players. As an example, there would be questions around their new goalkeeper, whilst Aaron Kernan will be irreplaceable when he goes.

Time of course will tell, but I cannot see them returning to Ulster dominance over the next few years.

They do have a lot of excellent young players but I get a sense that they will not be able to adequately replace their older players. As an example, there would be questions around their new goalkeeper, whilst Aaron Kernan will be irreplaceable when he goes.

Thought that A Kernan didn't have much impact. Well marked or just not the player he was?

Thought that A Kernan didn't have much impact. Well marked or just not the player he was?

Bit of both probably. He will be 34 in January and the running game of those young Gaoth Dobhair lads wouldn`t have helped.

Time and tide.

Was anyone at the first game yesterday? On the one hand I was hoping for a Coleraine win as Scotstown are very seasoned campaigners and I can imagine they will try and slow the game right down and try and get it played on their terms whereas Coleraine would have been like ourselves in terms of experience. On the other hand, by all accounts Coleraine play a very similar style to Gaoth Dobhair so might have been a tougher match in terms of running games.
    I fancy we have man markers suited to doing a job on the Hughes boys but would be interested in how they looked yesterday. From what I heard the referee was very kind to them.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Was anyone at the first game yesterday? On the one hand I was hoping for a Coleraine win as Scotstown are very seasoned campaigners and I can imagine they will try and slow the game right down and try and get it played on their terms whereas Coleraine would have been like ourselves in terms of experience. On the other hand, by all accounts Coleraine play a very similar style to Gaoth Dobhair so might have been a tougher match in terms of running games.
    I fancy we have man markers suited to doing a job on the Hughes boys but would be interested in how they looked yesterday. From what I heard the referee was very kind to them.

I thought they were very poor Defensively and were only in the game due to poor coleraine finishing and decisions.

The last few kickouts killed Coleraine. That being said, wary of a team coming through a semi like that knowing they need to be really solid the next time out.

I couldn’t call it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Aaron Kernan was brilliant for Crossmaglen Rangers over the course of the Armagh Championship and was much the same in the first round of the Ulster Club against Coalisland. There are many in Armagh who continue to lament his retirement from our County Panel in 2014.

It says a lot therefore for the performance of Gaoth Dobhair that he was so quiet yesterday.

Advertisement