Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    I'm hoping this was just some cockup on the part of either Roscommon CB or Aidan O'Rourke in that they put him name out there without having checked with him first. It would be some bad form on their part but it's the only thing that would make sense of this, I mean like why would Karl leave Donegal to go and take up a similar position with Roscommon, that makes absolutely no sense!

Now you're talking. Let's see what Karl or Declan have to say about it. Neither has said anything publicly since the County Board statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,939 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Did the appointment not fall apart because he was unavailable?

FWIW my understanding is that Bonner / County Board knew that Karlo was probably stepping aside for a while regardless of anything else. No rows though.

That would seem to be why it fell apart last week. O`Rourke looked for a 24 hour deferral of his announcement as manager because of doubts over Karl`s availability, but I would find it very strange if he had put forward Karl`s name for the position of head coach to the Roscommon county board without talking to him and having a strong belief he was interested much earlier than that.

With Karl leaving the backroom team, Rochford coming aboard, Karl`s name coming up as proposed head coach in Roscommon, all within such a short space of time, I just found very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭doc_17

Odhran Ferry always goes unnoticed when the plaudits are being dished out. A horrible player to play against and a total pest / mouth (these are compliments).

He was exceptional on Sunday I thought. Leo is far and away their most influential player, not to mention being fiercely competitive and a really tough lad. Young Ferry fella took him out of the game for the most part and reveled in it, some task that in a county final at 20 years of age.

I thought he was brilliant. Not sure how it looked on TV but thought he was immense at the game. I've saw a good bit of him this summer and I'd have him in the county panel. He's a good player with potential but more importantly, there seems to be serious fight in him.

He is indeed a pest at club level. But a bit like Joe Gibbons, it's a real step up to play county. I think he's a really good club player but that's as far as it goes.

Hopefully Carroll and Gillespie can make an impact next year for us. They could of course miss the entire as well if they are as good as some of think they might be!!

Comhgairdeas Gaoth Dobhair.

And what the hell is going on in Division 3?????

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

doc_17 wrote: »
    And what the hell is going on in Division 3?????

do elaborate!

• Advertisement

3 way play off to decide promotion. CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC decided that the tie breaker scenario used by the County Board couldn't/didn't apply to league position, only applicable to Championship. Or at least that's my understanding of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

He is indeed a pest at club level. But a bit like Joe Gibbons, it's a real step up to play county. I think he's a really good club player but that's as far as it goes.

Hopefully Carroll and Gillespie can make an impact next year for us. They could of course miss the entire as well if they are as good as some of think they might be!!

Comhgairdeas Gaoth Dobhair.

I think he's far better than someone like Gibbons. And has the recent experience with the minors / u-20's too. I'd be surprised if he wasn't involved next year.

Re: Division 3 - this could end up in a complete disaster for Buncrana. Going down to junior is pathetic for a club of their size. If they were to miss out on promotion now through these play offs it'd be a another massive kick in the you know where for them. You'd worry for football in inishowen at the minute.

I think he's far better than someone like Gibbons. And has the recent experience with the minors / u-20's too. I'd be surprised if he wasn't involved next year.

All he’s done so far is show that he’s a pest. Won’t get away with what he gets away with under close scrutiny of intercounty officials and the cuteness of top players. I stand to be corrected but I wish him all the best.

Re: Division 3 - this could end up in a complete disaster for Buncrana. Going down to junior is pathetic for a club of their size. If they were to miss out on promotion now through these play offs it'd be a another massive kick in the you know where for them. You'd worry for football in inishowen at the minute.

Has it ever been much better? Malin made a push to the semi one year but that’s the height of it. Too much soccer there

• Advertisement

All he’s done so far is show that he’s a pest. Won’t get away with what he gets away with under close scrutiny of intercounty officials and the cuteness of top players. I stand to be corrected but I wish him all the best.

And super fit, and good on the ball, and combative.

He'll be useful in the squad at the very least in the early stages. I'm not saying the guy is Martin Gavigan but he''s worth including.
    Has it ever been much better? Malin made a push to the semi one year but that’s the height of it. Too much soccer there

Soccer mad up there. Those Buncrana lads won the minor 5 years ago you'd have been looking at them pushing on with a view to coming through intermediate. Now they're junior championship and a strong chance of ending up in division 3. Be really hard to recover from that. Malin were solid for a few years though up around division 1 / 2 and tough in championship but again on the slide big time. At least they've got senior football as something to look forward to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I never even saw one GAA club when I was last in Inishowen, I saw soccer clubs though, I shouldn't have been surprised given that Derry is in Inishowen too(geographically it is)

There's plenty of clubs in Inishowen. The standard is low however. Too much focus on foreign sports.

I never even saw one GAA club when I was last in Inishowen, I saw soccer clubs though, I shouldn't have been surprised given that Derry is in Inishowen too(geographically it is)

By the time the Inishowen lads play soccer for a team in Donegal and then play soccer for a team in the Derry league there’s. I time left for Gaelic!

Jebus. Reading the pre match tweets about who was missing for Gaoth Dobhair you would worry for them. But 10 points up at half time.....

Crossmaglen next.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Jebus. Reading the pre match tweets about who was missing for Gaoth Dobhair you would worry for them. But 10 points up at half time.....

Crossmaglen next.

It wasn`t plain sailing after that. Back to 2 points after 55 mins. Carroll punched to the next and they won by 4. 3 -11 to 1 -13.

Next one will be a good test for young Ferry if they put him on Crosses Rian O`Neill. Scored 0-7 Saturday night out of their 0 - 12 against Coalisland. 4 from play, 2 frees and a 45.

Hope Gillespie isn’t too badly hurt. Can’t seem to
    get a run at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Dislocated kneecap apparently. Not sure how long he will be out but hard to see him back for the Ulster campaign.

Dislocated kneecap apparently. Not sure how long he will be out but hard to see him back for the Ulster campaign.

If it wasn`t for bad luck that young lad would have no luck at all.
    Poor devil really has had it tough.

Poor lad. Have to feel for him.

• Advertisement

No great surprise but Michael Carroll, Eoin McHugh and Jason McGee are back in the Senior squad according to DSH.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    No great surprise but Michael Carroll, Eoin McHugh and Jason McGee are back in the Senior squad according to DSH.

Good to hear. Good additions to the panel and you would hope all three can make a strong case for the starting 15 on any given day.

Luke Barrett u-16 manager.

Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Big year ahead for Michael Carroll, will be a serious addition. Could and should bring similar qualities to that of Ryan Bradley when he was on his game in 2011/2012.

Luke Barrett u-16 manager.

Hmm.

On the plus side he was involved when his father was in charge faik.
    Other than that I`m not sure what qualifies him for the job other than he will be close enough to their age.

Big year ahead for Michael Carroll, will be a serious addition. Could and should bring similar qualities to that of Ryan Bradley when he was on his game in 2011/2012.

I would be hoping to see a big year ahead for the other two as well. James`s young lad has a fair bit of pace going for him even if his decision making on the ball can be a bit dodgy at times but a bit of coaching and a regular run could go a long way to helping in that. McGee is a good hardy young lad well able to knock a bit of pace out of some of those Tyrone bucks.

charlie14 wrote: »

On the plus side he was involved when his father was in charge faik.

You can see why someone would be sceptical.

Wonder why Rory Kav wasn’t interested again.

You can see why someone would be sceptical.

Wonder why Rory Kav wasn’t interested again.

Very much so.
    A cynical thought I know, but the first thought I had when I read Rory Kav was that himself and old stargazer Eamonn Mc may have reformed the wild bunch now that they are both retired and decided to give it a real go this time with no distractions.

Rory Kav should have went for under 17 job.

As for the senior panel, not sure what kind addition Eoin will be. He needs to really step up. Bar scoring a last minute point against Roscommon in 2017 he hasn't done much. Potential is there but he's mid 20s now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

The news isn’t good apparently

Advertisement