Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

I think Rochford is a very good appointment. He really pushed Mayo up a level (even though they didn't win Connacht) and they were the only team that could actually compete with the dubs since 2014. Kerry kind of had a decent go in 2015 but they haven't been anywhere near Dublin over the last few years. That fact that every other team was taken apart by Dublin this year shows the level Mayo were at to have been able to live with what Dublin have.

i just have one concern. Rochford was a number 1 and would be accustomed to having complete control I'm guessing. His role is going to change, but he may not want to change his views and it could lead to disagreements as often happens when too many big ego/characters are involved and trying to control one team.

Hopefully, that won't happen, but it's a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,940 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I think Rochford is a very good appointment. He really pushed Mayo up a level (even though they didn't win Connacht) and they were the only team that could actually compete with the dubs since 2014. Kerry kind of had a decent go in 2015 but they haven't been anywhere near Dublin over the last few years. That fact that every other team was taken apart by Dublin this year shows the level Mayo were at to have been able to live with what Dublin have.

i just have one concern. Rochford was a number 1 and would be accustomed to having complete control I'm guessing. His role is going to change, but he may not want to change his views and it could lead to disagreements as often happens when too many big ego/characters are involved and trying to control one team.

Hopefully, that won't happen, but it's a possibility.

A concern I would share from even the recent past. Seemed to be a touch of it doing the rounds in 2013 from an individual that is best not named.

If only for the sake of my blood pressure.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think he'll be a great addition, him going there is a good sign imo, I'd imagine he recognises the potential there, he's young, possibly got shafted a bit in Mayo and might feel he has something to prove.
    I think he's a good football man, good on the line, seems like a decent sort too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭overshoot

Cautiously optimistic on it. Rochford will have a point to prove for sure. I'd be slightly worried he didnt bring many young players through in Mayo in terms of developing our young squad but in saying that I know little of Mayo football and there may not have been the quality there to come through.

Stoner wrote: »
    I think he'll be a great addition, him going there is a good sign imo, I'd imagine he recognises the potential there, he's young, possibly got shafted a bit in Mayo and might feel he has something to prove.
    I think he's a good football man, good on the line, seems like a decent sort too.

I have said my piece on the man as to why I think he is not the right fit for the needs we have at the moment but that has nothing to do with the man himself. I wish him well. He has also struck me as an honest and decent lad and it is a serious commitment from him having a young family and the distances involved.

He was more than a bit shafted in Mayo, but by who and why is another question, so I can see why he would want to get back up on the horse.

As a manager he has shown that at club and county level he is top class, but we already have a manager and while it is flattering in one way that he has joined as he recognises the potential, I would be a bit worried that perhaps part of the reason of getting back up on the horse with us is that there aren`t many high profile jobs going at the minute.

I sincerely hope I am wrong in any doubts I have, and if he adds to us going on to fulfill the potential I believe we do have, then I would only be delighted to admit it.

• Advertisement

overshoot wrote: »
    Cautiously optimistic on it. Rochford will have a point to prove for sure. I'd be slightly worried he didnt bring many young players through in Mayo in terms of developing our young squad but in saying that I know little of Mayo football and there may not have been the quality there to come through.

I wouldn`t knock to much Rochford on not bringing young players through with Mayo. While there were some who thought he didn`t give some players he tried out enough game time to get up to the level required at senior inter-county, I believe he was caught between the two stools of damned if he did and damned if he didn`t.

The best place to blood young lads is in the league and last year especially not only was he expected in Mayo to have a team primed and ready for the championship there appeared to be serious pressure to maintain their Div 1 status which lessened the chances of him giving young lands the time to find their feet.
    The other reason as you say is that the quality may not have been there to start with. Going back all through the original Horan era before Rochford, Mayo had a problem with a lack of scoring forwards and their full back position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Confirmed by County Board.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

And Michael Murphy playing foreign sports for the winter.

We are in some sort of twilight zone hiy.

Next thing Cassidy will dedicate Sunday's win to Jim McGuinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

So what do people think about the game on Sunday? I'd like to see Gweedore win but 9/5 on Glenties is very tempting.

So what do people think about the game on Sunday? I'd like to see Gweedore win but 9/5 on Glenties is very tempting.

Tempting odds on the old dog for the hard road basis even if I wouldn`t mind seeing Gweedore win.
    The only problem I would have is that if they did Kevin Cassidy would probable find some way too drag Jim McGuinness`s name into it too spoof more of his sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Any Gweedore or glenties men on here?

How are ye feeling about the game?

Marty Boyle has always shone whenever I have seen him play.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,118 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Macnialas is a great lad to watch when he's in the mood

retalivity wrote: »
    Macnialas is a great lad to watch when he's in the mood

When he turns it on he is a class act. He really was something else today.

Cargin next. Who scored 5 points to win the Antrim Championship.

Gweedore can enjoy their Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,118 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Cargin next. Who scored 5 points to win the Antrim Championship.

Gweedore can enjoy their Paddy.

Jesuz...was it played in the bann??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Very proud day for the parish yesterday, this group of lads are a special bunch. Huge credit must go to Tom Beag who brought most of these through under his coaching.
    Some of the movement yesterday was of a very high standard and as stated Odhran is a real class act when in form. Daire and Naoise O'Baoill were superb as well and the lads defended like tigers. Glenties it has to be said were poor enough, they lacked discipline which was surprising really, I would have expected them to be a bit more experienced (Leo was lucky not to walk if a couple of off the ball incidents were spotted). It was great to hear Niall (captain) say this is only the start of the journey for this team, hopefully they can make a serious push at Ulster now.

Maith na lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

I thought Gweedore were much the better team, lots of pace and Cassidy gives them a focal point up front. Glenties look like a team who realise they need more than a blanket defence but have forgotten how to attack.

As well as McNiallais, thought Daire O'Baoill was excellent. I'd like to see Mulligan and Gillespie get a run for the county team in the league next year.

All things being equal, Daire O'Baoil, Kieran Gillespie and Cian Mulligan should all start for Donegal next year. Although Mulligan might be as well used from the bench.

Michael Carroll was disappointing but I'd put some of that down to his holiday in the US. Still think he has something to offer the seniors but will need to put in a big personal effort over the winter.

From TV, Gweedore looked much the better team, but they gave up some good goal chances late on and I thought back to last year's semi-final once or twice...

Looked like Leo was well marked, but to be honest, I don't think he is as capable of influencing the game as others on the pitch. Anthony Thompson was quiet, I can't see what he has to offer the County team next year. I guess Brick wasn't fully fit. Ethan O'Donnell and Kieran Gallagher did ok but hard to know.

Good luck to Gweedore in Ulster. Should be handy enough the next day, but no easy games after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Well done Gweedore deserving winners came through a tough group and played great football along the way they have players that can form the spine of the county team for years to come in Gillespie, Mac Niallais, Mulligan, Carroll and the two O' Baoills really talented players

• Advertisement

Odhran Ferry always goes unnoticed when the plaudits are being dished out. A horrible player to play against and a total pest / mouth (these are compliments).

He was exceptional on Sunday I thought. Leo is far and away their most influential player, not to mention being fiercely competitive and a really tough lad. Young Ferry fella took him out of the game for the most part and reveled in it, some task that in a county final at 20 years of age.

I thought he was brilliant. Not sure how it looked on TV but thought he was immense at the game. I've saw a good bit of him this summer and I'd have him in the county panel. He's a good player with potential but more importantly, there seems to be serious fight in him.

Agreed Nidge, he was indeed mighty on Sunday (and all year). He is a great man marker with real discipline and as you say has plenty of fight in him. You could see Leo getting increasingly frustrated, no more than others, even the great Michael Murphy before him. It's a role that not too many would revel in but Odhran really does seem to enjoy it. Not only that but he can run all day, obviously has a great engine on him.

Aye, I was thinking OMcFF was thran on Sunday based on the TV coverage.

Just the sort you need to take on our Ulster rivals.

Aidan O`Rourke was due to be ratified as the new Roscommon manager Monday after some delay due to the "unexpected doubts in relation to Karl Lacey`s availability" according to the Roscommon County Board chairman, but O`Rourke has withdrawn his name.
    I thought Karl had quit the backroom team due to work and family commitments, but that does not seem to been the reason.

Maybe Karl didn't want to work alongside someone from Armagh.

Fair play to him.

Yeah but surely the question is, if Karl was available to work then why did he leave the Donegal setup? We were led to believe he wasn't able to commit time to it but it must be more than that.

Did the appointment not fall apart because he was unavailable?

FWIW my understanding is that Bonner / County Board knew that Karlo was probably stepping aside for a while regardless of anything else. No rows though.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Yeah but surely the question is, if Karl was available to work then why did he leave the Donegal setup? We were led to believe he wasn't able to commit time to it but it must be more than that.

Left me wondering the same. If he really was stepping aside for work and/or family reasons, then why was his name in the mix to join O`Rourke with Roscommon.
    Seems very strange to me, and not what we were led to believe.

I'm hoping this was just some cockup on the part of either Roscommon CB or Aidan O'Rourke in that they put him name out there without having checked with him first. It would be some bad form on their part but it's the only thing that would make sense of this, I mean like why would Karl leave Donegal to go and take up a similar position with Roscommon, that makes absolutely no sense!

• Advertisement

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    I'm hoping this was just some cockup on the part of either Roscommon CB or Aidan O'Rourke in that they put him name out there without having checked with him first. It would be some bad form on their part but it's the only thing that would make sense of this, I mean like why would Karl leave Donegal to go and take up a similar position with Roscommon, that makes absolutely no sense!

I think it's good for people like that to get additional experience elsewhere.
    I'd rather he was with us (naturally), but if he was to go elsewhere I think it'd be good in the long term.

He'll not be gone for too long!

Advertisement