Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FSA "off topic" thread - No discussion relating to FSA or Soccer - please read post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

100 meters final about to start.

Bolt struggled in the semi. Gatlin could blow him away the way things have gone!

I hope I look silly in a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Wow Usain Bolt!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Are you still getting many 503 errors guys?

By the way, still can't connect to boards (still using a 2 days-old opened session here) "too many redirects". Tried to increase the redirection loops limit. Changed nothing.
    It's becoming pretty annoying...

Posted on the Site Development forum. Don't seem to be the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

iroced wrote: »
    Are you still getting many 503 errors guys?

By the way, still can't connect to boards (still using a 2 days-old opened session here) "too many redirects". Tried to increase the redirection loops limit. Changed nothing.
    It's becoming pretty annoying...

Posted on the Site Development forum. Don't seem to be the only one.

Seems to be ok now since I started accessing from work. Was a pain yesterday as I was trying to decide whether to wildcard and I couldn't access here to see how everyone had gotten on and for advice :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Wow Usain Bolt!!

Was incredibly impressive! Must have been his first pro race where he didn't start as the fav maybe he's be running 9.9s just for this so he could lump on himself at decent odds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I think that Gatlin left it behind him to be honest, it's not often that an athlete runs faster in the semis than the final. Delighted that Bolt won though and hope that he is clean. The 200 will be brilliant now.

For those of you interested in athletics I recently read a brilliant book called Two Hours by Ed Caeser which is about the efforts of the top Africans (Kenyans and the odd Ethiopian) to bring the Marathon record closer to that figure. Amazing that the four minute mile was considered impossible right up to the moment it was achieved, suddenly it was being broken regularly.

I think that Gatlin left it behind him to be honest, it's not often that an athlete runs faster in the semis than the final. Delighted that Bolt won though and hope that he is clean. The 200 will be brilliant now.

For those of you interested in athletics I recently read a brilliant book called Two Hours by Ed Caeser which is about the efforts of the top Africans (Kenyans and the odd Ethiopian) to bring the Marathon record closer to that figure. Amazing that the four minute mile was considered impossible right up to the moment it was achieved, suddenly it was being broken regularly.

Yeh strange for him to run that bit slower but all year he's used to being out front on his own so having Bolt right next to him might have unsettled him a touch.

The first time someone runs under 2 hours is just going to be ridiculous I don't think people realise how fast they are running an 18s 100m is tough for a lot of people let alone doing over 420 of them without stopping! I had the chance to train with the Kenyan runners (friend was a PT and had worked with them before) but I left before I had the chance that would have been pretty cool. At first I was like ah man thats amazing then after thinking about it I was like oh dear god what have I said yes to I was a little relieved I didn't get the chance to embarrass myself!

jimmii wrote: »
    Yeh strange for him to run that bit slower but all year he's used to being out front on his own so having Bolt right next to him might have unsettled him a touch.

The first time someone runs under 2 hours is just going to be ridiculous I don't think people realise how fast they are running an 18s 100m is tough for a lot of people let alone doing over 420 of them without stopping! I had the chance to train with the Kenyan runners (friend was a PT and had worked with them before) but I left before I had the chance that would have been pretty cool. At first I was like ah man thats amazing then after thinking about it I was like oh dear god what have I said yes to I was a little relieved I didn't get the chance to embarrass myself!

There's some very entertaining anecdotes in the book, at one stage the Author (6ft 2, 17 stone) goes for a training run with Geoffrey Mutai, Caeser was panting after a minute or so but whenever he looked at Mutai it seemed as if he was walking.
    Another time he explains how he was along for a training run with a group of elite Kenyans (he's on a motorbike) and some middle aged geezer is on his way to work wearing a work outfit and boots, the guy just joins in with these guys who are running at 2 and a half hour marathon pace and keeps up for a mile before breaking off to go to work.

There's some very entertaining anecdotes in the book, at one stage the Author (6ft 2, 17 stone) goes for a training run with Geoffrey Mutai, Caeser was panting after a minute or so but whenever he looked at Mutai it seemed as if he was walking.
    Another time he explains how he was along for a training run with a group of elite Kenyans (he's on a motorbike) and some middle aged geezer is on his way to work wearing a work outfit and boots, the guy just joins in with these guys who are running at 2 and a half hour marathon pace and keeps up for a mile before breaking off to go to work.

The average fitness there is insane. When we were in school we used to play football against some adult teams and while they were terrible they could just run you into the ground if they were in touch with 20 minutes to go you were in trouble! I remember running one cross country race and I was well clear and this group of kids, they must have been maybe 6 years old all barely waist height, started running with me must have been for a good 5 minutes i'm busting my balls trying to win and they're skipping and laughing and playing with each other and having no bother keeping up all while barefoot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

I read a book called The Perfect Mile a good few years ago, about when Bannister broke the 4 minute mile, and the competition to be the first to break it between him, Landy and an American (can't remember his name now). I'd recommend it, a good read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Seems to be ok now since I started accessing from work. Was a pain yesterday as I was trying to decide whether to wildcard and I couldn't access here to see how everyone had gotten on and for advice :P
    Finally back. Hopefully not temporarily!

--

Gatlin fell apart (litterally and mentally) in the last 10m. You could clearly see he had reached his top speed limit and he couldn't go on, he started to make movemnts with his arms and bent way too early while Bolt just stayed technically and physically focused 'till the 100m line. Was a great race.

Great race too today from Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce. She basically is the female Bolt (in terms of her prize-list) and would deserve a bit mor elight.

Huge disappointment today was the pole-vault competition. And not only because Renaud Lavillenie failed again to claim the World Championship (is he cursed or what ?! :p or maybe not that strong mentally speaking...) but the competition itself was pretty dull bar the young Canadian achievement and Holdzeppe third succesful attempt at 5m90. Young French Kevin Menaldo was not too far from getting over it too and thus claiming a podium finish (with a personal best at 5m81 before the championship and weeks of injury recovering that was a pretty impressive contest from him).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I don't think people realise how fast they are running an 18s 100m is tough for a lot of people let alone doing over 420 of them without stopping!
    It's crazy alright. Current world record works out at 70s for a 400m. Most people wouldn't be able to do that fullstop.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    It's crazy alright. Current world record works out at 70s for a 400m. Most people wouldn't be able to do that fullstop.

Yeh when you start looking at it from middle distance times it makes you realise just how insanely fast they are running.

4.22 for 1500 and even 2.20 for 800m are tough enough times for regular runners!

Gatlin had no chance there. Bolt really put everyones doubts to bed this year unreal showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Not to keep bringing this up at the risk of sounding like a dipso but with the season back and well under way now what's the interest like for FSA Beers?

Does this warrant its own thread to find out or should it be brought to a mod?

Gameweek 7 could be ideal with most teams playing on the Saturday (26th)

Strange place to put this request but I realise that some of you are very tech savvy.
    I got a new phone recently, cheap HTC job, it works fine with wifi but it won't connect to the internet otherwise like my old phones did. I'm pretty sure that it did connect for the first few days I had it but I'm not 100% sure. It's a ready to go, I've looked everywhere in the settings but can't find the problem. Is there something I can do or do I need to take it up with Vodafone. I'll be out all day tomorrow and my wife hates me stealing her phone every 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Strange place to put this request but I realise that some of you are very tech savvy.
    I got a new phone recently, cheap HTC job, it works fine with wifi but it won't connect to the internet otherwise like my old phones did. I'm pretty sure that it did connect for the first few days I had it but I'm not 100% sure. It's a ready to go, I've looked everywhere in the settings but can't find the problem. Is there something I can do or do I need to take it up with Vodafone. I'll be out all day tomorrow and my wife hates me stealing her phone every 5 minutes.

Have you enabled 3G on it? If not hooking up to Wi-fi, it needs to log onto the internet through 3G.

Not to keep bringing this up at the risk of sounding like a dipso but with the season back and well under way now what's the interest like for FSA Beers?

They say you should never meet your heroes:P

I'm in Limerick and my missus doesn't realise how much time I spend on here so I'm out unless some quirk of faith has me in Dublin whenever this is set up.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Have you enabled 3G on it? If not hooking up to Wi-fi, it needs to log onto the internet through 3G.

Any idea how I go about doing that:o I'm a hopeless case.
    My last two phones just did it without any hassle!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

There may be a problem with your APN settings. Try the info in the guide below which is for the HTC one. If you can't find the settings, let me know your phone model and android version and i can talk you through it.

http://deviceguides.vodafone.ie/web/htc-one-v/explore/internet/set-up-your-phone-for-internet

If the APN settings are correctly set for Vodafone then you should only have to tick the box on "Mobile Data" under the "mobile networks" menu for it to connect.

A nice idea but i don't think it will work as the regulars here are spread out all over the country.

• Advertisement

zarquon wrote: »
    There may be a problem with your APN settings. Try the info in the guide below which is for the HTC one. If you can't find the settings, let me know your phone model and android version and i can talk you through it.

http://deviceguides.vodafone.ie/web/htc-one-v/explore/internet/set-up-your-phone-for-internet

If the APN settings are correctly set for Vodafone then you should only have to tick the box on "Mobile Data" under the "mobile networks" menu for it to connect.

A nice idea but i don't think it will work as the regulars here are spread out all over the country.

Legend, thank you. I didn't go through all that but when I went into APN settings I was on 2G only, have changed that now but I am connected via wifi at the moment, do I need to leave my current location to check if Its going to work for me?

Legend, thank you. I didn't go through all that but when I went into APN settings I was on 2G only, have changed that now but I am connected via wifi at the moment, do I need to leave my current location to check if Its going to work for me?

You can disable wifi to see if it picks up 3g now. If 2g is working the APN settings should be ok and it might be a coverage problem. If you can't connect with the correct APN settings just toggle mobile data on and off and it should connect. Failing that try a different location where you know 3g would definitely work to confirm if there is a problem.

No, drag down from the top of the screen (where the time is) and a menu pops down. Wifi, Bluetooth etc should show across the top. Click wifi so it is greyed out, not green. If you scroll across to the right there should be a "mobile data" toggle as well. Make sure that's green.

Thanks so much guys, got it working now, had to go through the whole rigmarole you linked me too Zarquon. Don't know why I didn't ask a few weeks ago, my whole Wexford with no wifi saga would have been a doddle. I love you guys:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Has doing a Boards FSA (weekly) podcast ever been discussed on here?

Could be a bit of craic - running through captaincy options, team selections, differentials for the GW, maybe going through common questions that have been asked throughout the week on here etc. Could have different members on every week to keep it fresh.

Paully D wrote: »

Could be a bit of craic - running through captaincy options, team selections, differentials for the GW, maybe going through common questions that have been asked throughout the week on here etc. Could have different members on every week to keep it fresh.

It would be chaos!

Paully D wrote: »

It would be great craic. The thought crossed my mind as i came across a live podcast last week which i linked during the 3pm games but it was utter crap so i turned it off as the banter here is much better.

I listen to the scoutcast which is decent but there is a durge of poor FPL podcasts out there. I rate some of the players on here much more highly than the people running some of the podcasts.

In fairness it's not just an issue with poor quality podcasts. I see people with one good season mixed in with a record of poor finishes running their own blogs and largely followed twitter feeds offering crap advice, all based on their flash in the pan top 1k finish.

It would be great craic. The thought crossed my mind as i came across a live podcast last week which i linked during the 3pm games but it was utter crap so i turned it off as the banter here is much better.

I listen to the scoutcast which is decent but there is a durge of poor FPL podcasts out there. I rate some of the players on here much more highly than the people running some of the podcasts.

In fairness it's not just an issue with poor quality podcasts. I see people with one good season mixed in with a record of poor finishes running their own blogs and largely followed twitter feeds offering crap advice, all based on their flash in the pan top 1k finish.

Scoutcast is the only decent one from the ones I have listened to. As you say a lot of people think they know everything from one good season that doesn't make a good FPL Manager and definitely doesn't make for a good podcast the Scoutcast strength is that Mark & Granville have such a rivalry and they would probably be able to put together a decent podcast on most subjects as they are quite entertaining. Surprised they don't do a gaming one think that could be huge given the background there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I was thinking along those lines recently myself... but rather a FSA get together some Saturday, 30 or so lads in some pub with multiple screens with all the matches (may be a few legal loopholes to jump through ) on.

Zero talk though, just us all sitting there while posting on the forum :)
    Finnharpsboy would be still letting us know who has scored before we see it live. We would have to get him a VIP section for all his gadgets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

PARlance wrote:
    Zero talk though, just us all sitting there while posting on the forum :)

That would be hilarious!

Advertisement