Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bodley 2013/14

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭midajoh

when i left there were too game still playing and i dont know what happened on them.
    The score when i left:
    Blanchardstown 0.5 Gonzaga 2.5

The rumour has it that Gonzaga won 3.5 i was just hoping to get confirmation to see if it's true

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

That'd be amazing if true - an almost exact replica of the B group!

Edit - though I see Gonzaga are still showing points deductions for unregistered players, and the deadline has passed... Wonder what happens there?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

cdeb wrote: »
    That'd be amazing if true - an almost exact replica of the B group!

Edit - though I see Gonzaga are still showing points deductions for unregistered players, and the deadline has passed... Wonder what happens there?

Yes, the result was 3.5-1.5 - crazy finish and great win by Danny Dwyer on board 1 for Blanchardstown vs a 1580.
    The points deductions are a mistake, according to Tristan Sheridan; all of our players have been registered since the 27th at the latest.

Good to hear; I agree with the rule, but it'd be an awful way to win/lose a title. Also good to see Gonzaga back in the leagues. Will ye have another Bodley team for next season, so you reckon? The players are there for it anyway.

Danny Dwyer v Alex Byrne on Wednesday is going to be a hell of a game btw. First meeting of two future titled players?

Another idea on the Bodley (not technically mine, but I don't think I disagree) would be to form a division 7 with the teams 7th to 10th in each Bodley group, plus any new clubs. It'd essentially mean relegating those teams, but given some of the big wins, maybe they'd benefit from a more level set of matches. This could be put to the LCU AGM as well, though I'd certainly be reluctant to do so myself without hearing what the teams affected would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

cdeb wrote: »
    Good to hear; I agree with the rule, but it'd be an awful way to win/lose a title. Also good to see Gonzaga back in the leagues. Will ye have another Bodley team for next season, so you reckon? The players are there for it anyway.

Danny Dwyer v Alex Byrne on Wednesday is going to be a hell of a game btw. First meeting of two future titled players?

Another idea on the Bodley (not technically mine, but I don't think I disagree) would be to form a division 7 with the teams 7th to 10th in each Bodley group, plus any new clubs. It'd essentially mean relegating those teams, but given some of the big wins, maybe they'd benefit from a more level set of matches. This could be put to the LCU AGM as well, though I'd certainly be reluctant to do so myself without hearing what the teams affected would think.

It's hard to see anyone who'll have the time to organise and run a Bodley team for next year unfortunately, so we'll most likely have to wait another year for a third team. Is there any word on a Novice Division by the way? I may be able to get a team together for that

Agreed in regards to Alex and Danny. Both of them did very well this year and are backing up their league form at weekenders.

And yes, it's probably time for a seventh division, if there's suitable interest and the lower teams wouldn't mind. It also depends on how many new teams enter next year I think; if there's the same number of teams a two-section Bodley could still work.

• Advertisement

Is there any word on a Novice Division by the way? I may be able to get a team together for that
    Heard from Rathmines that the 18th of May is pencilled down for it. Don't really like that either actually - too close to exams for many surely? I'd also prefer last season's format where it was in a few weekends over the course of the season - made it feel like one of the main leagues, just with shorter time control for newer players.

Talk of two sections - one for u900s and one for u700s.

And yes, it's probably time for a seventh division, if there's suitable interest and the lower teams wouldn't mind. It also depends on how many new teams enter next year I think; if there's the same number of teams a two-section Bodley could still work.
    I'd go with a Division 7 regardless tbh. 25 teams is a genuine possibility for next season; that's too big for one division, end of story.

But you've also got three teams who are scoring a point a game and less - no other division comes close to that level of imbalance. It's hard on those teams, and I know from experience that it's also quite hard to have to keep on winning against lower-rated opposition - it puts extra pressure on you and takes away from some of the fun.

But I'd obviously be interested to hear what players on the teams 7th to 10th thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Irish Warrior

As a member of a club with a team from 7th to 10th position, my opinion is to create a 7th division for 2014/15 and put those teams who finished 7th or below (for 2013/14) in the bodley groups into it would be very arbitrary. Especially as there was no knowledge of it before hand, and nothing teams could do about it now with the Bodley leagues all but over.

But if teams were made aware of it coming into effect for 2015/16 (depending on an LCU motion at the next AGM and that the team numbers are there) then I think it would be time, as having so may teams in the Bodley so that they are split into two (understrength) groups is no longer workable.

It reduces the number of games teams in the groups play. They feel outside the leagues as they finish well before the other leagues and not on the same day. It also dilutes the teams that get promoted to the BEA as the only criteria for group selection seems to be A and B teams go in different groups.

So i would be in favor of a Division 7 as long as the 2014/15 season is used to prepare for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭iriship

Any one know when we will get board prizes?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Past_Pawn_99

looks like gonzaga still have 5 points deducted and its after the deadline.....
    If they dont get them back drogheda would take first.
    Hate to be that person who didn't pay their fees!

I was thinking the same myself because all the other points were restored last night.It wouldn't be a nice way to win.And at the same time it wouldn't be bad either :) as we all know a team could be stuck in the bodley for many years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Past_Pawn_99

yes indeed, especially if there's only one promotion slot. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

iriship wrote: »
    Any one know when we will get board prizes?
    The final days of the leagues or the AGM are the obvious slots. If you've a team in a higher division, you might send Peter Scott an email about it. If not, make sure your club sends a rep to the AGM in the summer.

Bodley board prizes are often given out at the LCU AGM alright.

midajoh - it'd be an awful way to go up alright. If ye're feeling really bad about it, I know a team who'd like to go up instead. :)

looks like gonzaga still have 5 points deducted and its after the deadline.....
    If they dont get them back drogheda would take first.
    Hate to be that person who didn't pay their fees!
    They have their points back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Ciaran

No sign of Blanchardstown tonight. Don't know if they got the date wrong or what.

They forgot, not helped by having played three games already this month. Rearranged for next week

A draw to finish things off for us so.

Danny beat Alex, which was a slight surprise. But obviously both are going to be excellent players.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It was only a draw by an incredibly undeserved swindle from me :(

Seriously, I've never seen an analysis graph swing so fast from definitely-won-for-white to definitely-won-for-black.

299387.png
    (that graph is being capped at 40 there so that the graph's printable on an A4 page - the analysis is actually maxing out at +327 and then -327)

And the *really* annoying part was that the move I thought caused the swing from won-for-white to won-for-black was actually the move that caused the initial swing to won-for-white in the first place, and the swing from white to black had nothing to do with what I was doing :D In fact the way I was hopelessly lost was suggested as a good tactics study in postmortem :pac:

If this game delivers anything, it's the lovely crunching noise of your ego getting hit with a fridge door repeatedly...

Welcome to the bottom board of the Bodley!

It's a pretty wild ride! :D

• Advertisement

Benildus' write-up of last night's game is up and explains why I really really didn't deserve to win :D

Well done to all who have participated in the bodley's it was good fun and i look forward to meeting you's next season :)

Tournament has been rated now.

Woot! 1019 for a first rating, I am inappropriately pleased with that :)

I gained 89 my new rating now is 984 not too bad considering i'm only playing a little over a year

Are the winners of Bodley A and Bodley B playing against each other this Sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Harbour Man

So who won the Bodley Cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

So who won the Bodley Cup?

Gonzaga beat Dún Laoghaire but I don't know the score.

Advertisement