Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How I Met Your Mother - Season 9

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Average-Ro wrote: »
    How I met your Father isn't about Tracey though. It's a brand new set of characters that it'll be following.
    My bad - shows how quickly I glossed over the press release due to my complete lack of enthusiasm.

Ted's still a dick though for basically spending days on end talking to his kids, who lost their mother, about how great their aunt is. He only talked about their mum for a few minutes. Lovely fathering skills Ted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ixoy wrote: »
    My bad - shows how quickly I glossed over the press release due to my complete lack of enthusiasm.

Ted's still a dick though for basically spending days on end talking to his kids, who lost their mother, about how great their aunt is. He only talked about their mum for a few minutes. Lovely fathering skills Ted.

Robin was never their aunt. More step mother

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Now that you mention it, it was really weird that the kids were just okay with Ted hijacking a story that was meant to be about their Mother and talking about all the women he used to bone, especially since she's dead. Have some goddamn respect Ted!

"Sure dad, go screw Aunt Robin! That was a beautiful story by the way, those four sentences at the end about Mom made it all worthwhile."

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Given the ****pile that it had become, this wasn't that bad an episode, considering. It panned out exactly as I imagine most people thought it would. The fact that 20 years was compressed into 20 minutes is ripping the audience off, but applying the actual time frame to the characters makes it plausible enough an outcome. The could really just have dumped the bit with the kids and been done with that; it added nothing but an insoluble constraint.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Everythin coming up Milhouse

What happened to Bob Saget?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Aye, feel more sorry for Saget than the Mother tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I agree with a lot of what has been said. Such a disappointing finale. Yay, the writers filmed the scene with the kids at the start. Fantastic planning and typical of the attention to detail in the early seasons. Pity they forgot about (or ignored) that ending and told the most fcuked up / round about story ever to finally get Ted back with Robin. To say at the end that it was never about the mother and was all about how Ted loves Robin was 50% clever and 50% a middle finger to the audience. It was a good twist ruined by about 4 seasons too many, turning it into a lame twist undoing everything Barney and Robin went through. Didn't we spend 3 or 4 seasons building up to their wedding and Ted meeting the mother there. Then in 1 episode, they get divorced, Barney goes back to old ways, the mother dies and Ted goes after Robin. It was all so forced in the end, none of it was natural.

This show should have ended in 5 seasons when they still knew how to layer in plot strands across episodes/seasons. It became a convoluted mess by the end, the characters were not consistent and most of them turned into grade A assh*les.

Most criminal of all, they never made me care at all about the mother or the fact that she died. The writers completely emotionally detached her from Ted so they could have him go after Robin. Ditto for the kids, 6 years have passed, Ted's still "the good guy", he can be with Robin.

Some people suggested ending with that scene at the train station. That would have been waaay better and might have packed an actual punch, knowing that the mother would ultimately die and Ted, though he has his kids, would be alone.... not off chasing Robin again.

/rant Should have stopped watching 3 years ago. Damn stop loss fallacy :(

Has it be known for a showrunner/producer to say no to a series expansion before?

I'm trying to think of one, and I can't off hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Has it be known for a showrunner/producer to say no to a series expansion before?

Yeah not sure how much say realistically they have in renewal really. Considering how many shows continue running after the creators/original wanted season 9 badly enough to talk Jason Segel into it so I don't think Bays and Thomas had any issue with the number of seasons they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

can some one explain to me, how after god knows how many times of getting together and realizing it wasn't going to work. that some how ted and robin believed it's gonna work this time?

this is not rachel and ross from friends, those two actually worked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    can some one explain to me, how after god knows how many times of getting together and realizing it wasn't going to work. that some how ted and robin believed it's gonna work this time?

this is not rachel and ross from friends, those two actually worked.

One if the bug things was that she didn't want kids and he did. That's not a problem now. Can't remember what else got in the way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

best one i could think of is Breaking bad, simply in the case that it went out on top, the showrunner said it was time for it to end rather than AMC, id say AMC would have been more than happy to get another 2-3 seasons out of it, and id say the show had another 2-3 good seasons too,

it went from a 2 million average in season 1 to a 10 million average in season 5, no way AMC cancelled it without a fight,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i would be pissed at the ending except for the fact that the show should have ended 2-3 years ago, it was nice to met the mother a bit and get to see what she was like, but i feel cheated that we didnt get to know her more, and ted met her and she dies in the same episode, did nobody think that would be a bit much,

i'm gonna totally ignore that ending and just say that the whole ted meeting the mother scene was just absolute perfect. that should have been the ending. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    i'm gonna totally ignore that ending and just say that the whole ted meeting the mother scene was just absolute perfect. that should have been the ending. :D

Agreed, days on and still annoyed about the very ending. Ended for me at the train station, the rest is just pretty silly imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

This is the real ending to me!!

pedatron wrote: »

see instantly squeal like a little girl :p

pedatron wrote: »

It's so perfect and so easy. WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST DO IT LIKE THAT:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Apparently there's a petition on Change.org to change the ending of HIMYM. I for one like the ending posted above. I'm gonna choose to pretend the last episode never happened!!!

Carter Bays ‏@CarterBays 3m
    So anyway, here's a bit of news: 16 days ago today we were in the HIMYM edit room, trying to decide between two very different endings.
    Carter Bays ‏@CarterBays 3m
    We only shot one script, but through edit room magic we had two possible outcomes for the series.
    Carter Bays ‏@CarterBays 2m
    We chose the ending we chose and we stand by it. But we loved the other version too.
    Carter Bays ‏@CarterBays 2m
    We're going to include that version on the Complete Series DVD as an alternate finale to How I Met Your Mother.

• Advertisement

I think from the above the writers know they screwed up tbh. This alternate ending should be aired on television as half of us wont be watching it on dvd format.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Raf32 wrote: »
    I think from the above the writers know they screwed up tbh. This alternate ending should be aired on television as half of us wont be watching it on dvd format.

It will get leaked sooner or later and will end up on youtube, seen on ign and facebook aboot 18 minutes of footage was cut in total including a Robin Sparkles scene.

No doubt something just like the video up above ^

some kind soul will put it up on youtube :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Hadn't watched since christmas and didn't realised it was over until I saw something on fb during the week. Was expecting it to end in May like most shows.

Again like others here this was the first show I began watching on the internet so I've stuck with it through the decline of recent times.

So I decided to binge watch over the weekend and just got through the finale. Awful, awful, awful. Once of the most depressing things I've ever witnessed. It'll be a long time before I can rewatch this show, if ever at all again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

So very happy with the ending of HIMYM!

Those who didnt see an ending of that sort coming were not paying attention and never got the story. Well written, well executed.
    Every complaint seems to be that it could have been happier. Happiness is just one emotion, and it is really weird in my mind that 99.9% of TV and movies have to end that way to pander to soppy elements.

Great ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Raf32 wrote: »
    Agreed, days on and still annoyed about the very ending. Ended for me at the train station, the rest is just pretty silly imo.
    But that would have made no sense.
    The son summed it up perfectly. This is a 10 year story about Ted and Robin. We meet the mother only really in the last couple of episodes - not enough to emotionally connect. The story is does Ted ever end up with Robin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

It will get leaked sooner or later and will end up on youtube, seen on ign and facebook aboot 18 minutes of footage was cut in total including a Robin Sparkles scene.

They cut Robin Sparkles!?! WTF? Seriously? I have randomly found myself singing 2 Beavers are better than 1 on numerous occasions. Also I've definitely said "It's Robin Sparkles 4 ya'll" about 6 times in the last month! My boyfriend thinks I'm a weirdo because he's never seen a single episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

So very happy with the ending of HIMYM!

Those who didnt see an ending of that sort coming were not paying attention and never got the story. Well written, well executed.
    Every complaint seems to be that it could have been happier. Happiness is just one emotion, and it is really weird in my mind that 99.9% of TV and movies have to end that way to pander to soppy elements.

Great ending.

I think the main complaint was the bad, rushed writing. They wrote a plot 9 years ago, and the show evolved that the plot no longer suited, then in the finale they changed a huge amount of things in a very short space of time just to fit their original ending.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Every complaint seems to be that it could have been happier.

Was even one single complaint that on this thread? I think most people felt that if they wanted to tell a story which involves a man have a wonderful marriage cut short by death and then move on with an old love they did that very, very badly. Most people have a problem with how the story was told, not with what they told us. (And they certainly told us rather than showed us.)

Advertisement