Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stewart Lee, do you think he's funny?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Very good tonight in Galway, great show
    loved his bit at the end about the Hamster and the sock :D

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cozski

He is without doubt the most thought provoking comedian out there at theminute and has been for the last 10 years. Nobody picks people's certainties apart as thoughtfully and sublimely as he does. Those who charge him a tendency towards sneering snobbery have missed the point completely... but that's okay because it's what he intended. He should be Knighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

cozski wrote: »
    Those who charge him a tendency towards sneering snobbery have missed the point completely... but that's okay because it's what he intended.

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I was at one of the tables, and was seriously envious of people in the rows, as they have backs to their seats!
    block D blacony! nice seats and your own bar!

One night myself and a mate were in bits watching various vids on youtube, and i clicked on "the rappers" routine, "you know the rappers?" and some genius on youtube as edited 20 mins of it repeating the same part over and over....took us 14 mins to notice, i was thinkin "this is dragging on a bit, even for stu"...godamn weed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

I think his way with words and articulation is what makes him funny. Its not everyone's cup of tea at all. To be honest its the only type of comedy I like. Comedy that isn't reliant on a certain punchline but more the concept of the story/joke and expressions he makes while telling it. I love his pauses and stares, they give me time to take in what he had just said and really adds to the humour.

Like I said, not everyone's cup of tea at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

FatRat wrote: »
    Comedy that isn't reliant on a certain punchline but more the concept of the story/joke and expressions he makes while telling it.

He does have punchlines though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Great punchline after punchline here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Yeah of course he does! He just doesn't rely on them very much. For me anyway.... For example he'd say a line that isn't necessarily the punchline but repeat it often enough and with the right expressions to eventually leave me out of breathe laughing. "Are you a sardine" is a prime example. My favourite piece! The "Ang Lee" piece too and the piece on Richard Hammond. I mean when would the line "He's not even a hamster" be funny unless you were 10 years old. Well I think Stu somehow makes it extremely funny... Repetition, exxagerations and just his style in general makes it possible.

That said some of his jokes do have straight up punchlines. I just think his funnier pieces are a result of his intelligence and style as oppossed to whitty oneliners. They're just the kind of jokes I like.

FatRat wrote: »
    Yeah of course he does! He just doesn't rely on them very much.

That's the problem, for me at least. The stuff leading up to the punchline can be trying at the best of times, and then to cap it all, the punchline is often pretty weak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

cozski wrote: »
    He should be Knighted.

Yeah. He'd hate that. Think of the material!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭cb102

Just remembered, he was slagging off craft beers... one he called 'Gandalf's Memory Stick' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

cb102 wrote: »
    Just remembered, he was slagging off craft beers... one he called 'Gandalf's Memory Stick' :)

'Hogwarts Bukkake' was my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,257 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

To the people who don't think he is funny, you should check out some of the earlier stuff he did with Richard Herring like Sunday heros

(check it on youtube, i can't link here cause It's blocked on this network)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Galway gig was ok.
    But I think his previous stuff was better.
    In fact, I even found myself predicting the last punchline.
    I dunno, I enjoyed it but some of it was kinda flat.
    Still a very interesting guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Saw him last night and thought he was fantastic ;)

though the previous time I saw him I think he was a bit better. still by far one of my favourite comedians

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Linvoy Primus

Not only is he the world's best ever stand-up comedian (even better than Tom O'Connor!), but he has impeccable taste too. His Comedy Central show The Alternative Comedy Experience was about 10 great episodes of stand-up and interviews. Well recommended. He showed his non-character side in some of the interviews too. Highlights were Josie Long, Tony Law, Simon Munnery, Henning Wehn, and loads more. More people need to see this!

Not only is he the world's best ever stand-up comedian (even better than Tom O'Connor!), but he has impeccable taste too. His Comedy Central show The Alternative Comedy Experience was about 10 great episodes of stand-up and interviews. Well recommended. He showed his non-character side in some of the interviews too. Highlights were Josie Long, Tony Law, Simon Munnery, Henning Wehn, and loads more. More people need to see this!
    I think he should do more TV, i know he avoids the panel shows, but i'd like to see him do documentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Henning Wehn is brilliant. Love his Nazi-piss-take shtick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I've never seen it - will seek it out tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

That's the problem, for me at least. The stuff leading up to the punchline can be trying at the best of times, and then to cap it all, the punchline is often pretty weak.

If you want strong punchlines you should check out Bobby Davro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I'm a big fan. A few of us went to see him in the Roisin's in Galway last night.
    I was a little disappointed to be honest.
    He just seemed a little light on material considering he was charging €28.

If you want strong punchlines you should check out Bobby Davro.

Stewart Lee fans - the pretentious gift that keeps on giving. :pac:

You know, it IS possible to be intelligent, insightful, poetic AND provide belly laughs. Hello, Dylan Moran.

CrinkElite wrote: »
    He just seemed a little light on material considering he was charging €28.

Didn't you wonder why the ticket price was so low? He made it clear it was a show for trying out new material.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

I think he's great. I can completely understand how he wouldn't appeal to everyone as a large part of the character he plays is him 'failing' at being a stand up.

Absolutely love the Braveheart stuff he did in Glasgow

• Registered Users Posts: 22,257 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I just saw Stewart Lee at the Hague today getting convicted of genocide and war crimes.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I just saw Stewart Lee at the Hague today getting convicted of genocide and war crimes.

A ha ha ha ha I saw that.... Let himself go though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I.... think he makes good, intelligent points rather than being really funny. Kinda like I feel about Bill Hicks. Interesting points but wouldn't have me busting a gut laughing.

I was surprised to hear that his wife is a practicing Catholic, I'm just surprised he's married to someone religious for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

He was released - the woman in the hague did the form in wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

This bit is absolute genius. You have to watch it all the way through though.

Advertisement