Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stewart Lee, do you think he's funny?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Oh, wait did you think of the Lativan bit?

It was alright, I've seen that idea trounced out by people before - the 'making up stereotypes about countries we don't know anything about'. I imagine it'll be a lot tighter if he keeps it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'd love to know what goes through the mind of hecklers, you're never as funny as the person on stage and they'll probably verbally destroy you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Going to him in roisin tonight
    Cant wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Bambi wrote: »
    His top gear routine is worth it.

I have to admit, it's great. Bang on the money.

stimpson wrote: »
    He did the stand up circuit with him back in the day and Lee gives him credit for his originality and creativity. Harry is very eccentric and he harks back to the complete daftness of the likes of Spike Milligan or Monty Python. Taken like that, it makes sitting down to You've been Framed with the kids less of an ordeal than it used to be.

He also gives Hill credit for inventing the callback, where an idea is introduced early in a set and reintroduced again later on to comedic effect. Anyone who has managed to sit through a whole Stewart Lee gig will see that he likes to use it himself quite a bit.

Ok, warming a bit more to Stewart for his bigging up of Harry Hill, who I ****ing love! :D

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It was alright, I've seen that idea trounced out by people before - the 'making up stereotypes about countries we don't know anything about'. I imagine it'll be a lot tighter if he keeps it.

Yeah, if he wants to keep it, he'll need to do something to change it a bit.

krudler wrote: »
    I'd love to know what goes through the mind of hecklers, you're never as funny as the person on stage and they'll probably verbally destroy you.

Not a Richard Herring fan usually, but watch this:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Hoop66

The one where he's talking about Richard Littlejohn and "how far he will go in his quest for the accurate labelling of dead women" is just sublime.

Mostly he makes me laugh, and that's good enough for me.

I don't judge you if you don't like him. Why would I, when there are so many other things to judge you about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

krudler wrote: »
    Find some of his stuff funny but it all comes across as sneering snobby comedy. The clip about breaking down the Only Fools clip above. How many people will remember a Stewart Lee gag in 30 years time and use it as part of a standup routine? exactly.

I wish I was psychic/had a time machine...

Not a Richard Herring fan usually, but watch this:

There's a good documentary called Heckler on the subject. I think it's all on youtube too, Jamie Kennedy inteviews comedians about heckling, harsh reviews and when critics get personal. It's well worth a watch, some of the comedians responses to being heckled are absolutely brilliant. Not quiet the guy who smashed a guitar off a hecklers head though :pac:

• Advertisement

I wish I was psychic/had a time machine...

I watched a few of Lee's full shows and found him much funnier in context like that, I still think he drags the arse out of punchlines way too long but some of his stuff is very funny indeed, the bit about Diana's death and the inflatable E.T. doll is absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Oh, wait did you think of the Lativan bit?

I didn't think it worked, at all.

I'd be surprised if it turns up in the finished show.
    i thought that was brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Was at the show on Saturday. Loved it.

It had a bit of a lull in the middle but finished brilliantly.
    The bit about his pet guinea pig was genius. My friend next to me could barely breathe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Got to observe a heckler in his habitat too from my balcony seat...what pathetic lives they lead...after he heckled, his "mates" and people around him turned on him a little and he spent the next 10 minute looking for their attention...and the rest of the gig with his head down ...dejected that nobody was interested..."Are you a sardine?" indeed mr heckler....you f**ing tw*t......

That was bizarre. The "are you a sardine?" thing is a line from one of Stewart Lee's earlier shows, so the heckler was presumably an actual fan (albeit a fucking retard), as opposed to someone who just turned up accidentally or was dragged along by friends.

I enjoyed it and it had some great moments, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as his usual shows. In fairness, the tickets were a bit cheaper and he acknowledged on his website that it would be unstructured and disjointed.

Incidentally, the seating in Vicar Street is seriously uncomfortable.

RayM wrote: »
    That was bizarre. The "are you a sardine?" thing is a line from one of Stewart Lee's earlier shows, so the heckler was presumably an actual fan (albeit a fucking retard), as opposed to someone who just turned up accidentally or was dragged along by friends.

At comedy gigs sycophants who love the act and think they'll impress them by shouting out stuff are much more annoying that people who just don't like the act.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    At comedy gigs sycophants who love the act and think they'll impress them by shouting out stuff are much more annoying that people who just don't like the act.
    I actually watched the c*nt...he had no interest in the show from that point on...the only time he raised his head was to try and attract the attention of his "friends" who were ignoring him

Olympia is horrible too if you're more than 5 foot tall, impacts on how many comedy gigs I go to.

thought was great with one heckler "what?.....what?????....What???"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Olympia is horrible too if you're more than 5 foot tall, impacts on how many comedy gigs I go to.

+1 The International is a much comfier venue despite being the size of a shoebox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

Skid X wrote: »
    I think he is brilliant live, but I don't agree with some of his snobbish comments.

Richard Herring is better.

Totally agree man, Herring's self deprecating humor instantly makes him more likeable - although I think Lee's stand up isn't meant to be funny outright - it's meant to get people thinking and question themselves and what we find funny as an audience - it's a bit George Carlin and that has to be respected.

• Advertisement

by the way he doesn't really take the pi$$ out other comedians...it is part of the persona..jimmy car funded his return to comedy and he credits Ricky Gervais's name dropping him as the saviour of his career...

(obviously i'm not talking about Mcintyre and the russles)

I actually watched the c*nt...he had no interest in the show from that point on...the only time he raised his head was to try and attract the attention of his "friends" who were ignoring him

I'd be so embarrassed if I came to a gig with a tool like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Went to the show last night, the "are you a sardine" heckler was roundly jeered and Lee's line about the audience culling their own was very funny. The black wife/gay man wife bit was terrific, I actually thought the repetition bit at the start about the taxi driver worked and added to the later tie in involving the imaginary wives. Real shame that another heckler ruined Lee's big punchline which, he himself said, he'd been building up to for 50 minutes. Not as tight or structured as other shows he's done but more than enough laughs, ideas and talking points to warrant the admission fee. I also thought his encore was brilliant.

I liked how he continually referred to the Sugarcubes instead of the Sugababes too.

i thought that was brilliant!

Really? Did nothing for me. And there was a fairly muted reception to it in general. Bear in mind that this was a room full of Stewart Lee fans!

Really? Did nothing for me. And there was a fairly muted reception to it in general. Bear in mind that this was a room full of Stewart Lee fans!
    yeah we're not very funny people to be around!!..i was muted as i was trying my best to take it all in!!

quite simply the whole concept of somebody finding out they are Latvian and it being absolutely no surprise at all to his mates who were always sure he was anyway was hilarious!
    draw bridge latvian penis pants...

yeah we're not very funny people to be around!!..i was muted as i was trying my best to take it all in!!

You've summed up my problem with Stewart Lee's style right here.

I understood the concept, it just didn't make me laugh, or amuse me very much at all!

I was at one of the tables, and was seriously envious of people in the rows, as they have backs to their seats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

If this were a referendum, it would be a landslide YES.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

My favorite stand up comedian ever !

Advertisement