Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stewart Lee, do you think he's funny?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Who made a comparison. I listed artists in the avante garde movement. Lee is not really avante garde. Although he does borrow from him.

You mean he steals.

Or Adolf Hitler, Mussolini, Joe Stalin, Genghis Khan all prícks

and
    Stewart Lee.....he's a lovely fella

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

I think he's pretty sharp.

What's this "hipster" thing about in relation to anything a person doesn't like that isn't mainstream? The term has merit for some stuff, but it's become just a way to dismiss/sneer a lot of the time too, which is ironically what hipsters get accused of.

True.
    I wouldn't have thought hipsters would have liked him anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

You made him sound like Alan Partridge there!

Funny you should mention that. He actually wrote a lot of early Alan Partridge stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

You mean he steals.

Or Adolf Hitler, Mussolini, Joe Stalin, Genghis Khan all prícks

and
    Stewart Lee.....he's a lovely fella

His dark self deprecating comedy is very Beckettian.

Joyce was a self christened copy and paste artist.

Its called intertextuality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Its actually called bullshít.
    He's an average comedian, loves to deconstruct others work & then try to make a living from that.
    Maybe more Joycian than Beckett

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

RayM wrote: »
    Funny you should mention that. He actually wrote a lot of early Alan Partridge stuff.

Didn't know that. You learn something new every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

I suppose there is a bit of a "you have to be in on the joke" kind of thing in order to appreciate him. The joke being that on stage he is playing a caricature of himself - someone who had higher ambitions than being a lowly comic and is bitter of all those people like Michael McIntyre who sold out and have become successful and well liked.

Maybe that is what is so hipsterish about him I suppose???

That being said I am very much a fan and for those of you that don't like him, you might at least enjoy this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 326 ✭✭Savoir.Faire

He doesn't even have a good dick joke though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Real Life wrote: »
    hes probably my favourite comedian along with another AH loves to hate Ricky Gervais.
    Eh whatever about Lee, even he doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as Gervais. Gervais; a comic that provides his own laughter track. While I personally find Lee tiresome he at least is attempting to work on few gears, Gervais with rare exceptions only has one gear.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

calanus wrote: »
    I suppose there is a bit of a "you have to be in on the joke" kind of thing in order to appreciate him. The joke being that on stage he is playing a caricature of himself - someone who had higher ambitions than being a lowly comic and is bitter of all those people like Michael McIntyre who sold out and have become successful and well liked.

Maybe that is what is so hipsterish about him I suppose???

That being said I am very much a fan and for those of you that don't like him, you might at least enjoy this.

Very funny.
    Poor Stew.
    Some seriously hateful people out there.
    The Crohn's comment was particularly vile.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

He doesn't even have a good dick joke though.
    Unlike Joyce.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

The point I should have elaborated on I suppose was the type of person in the crowd chuckling away at Stewart Lee's comedy whilst scanning the room and sneering at blank faces in the audience who obviously don't get the genius of Stewart Lee.

- Oh I get it, I just don't it funny. He's not my least favourite comedian by any stretch. That's vacated by Jim Davidson.

What place is occupied by Jim Davidson?

Wibbs wrote: »
    Consider if you will the pretentious, self important and snobbish replies above. As dog owners are commonly seen to resemble their dogs, maybe a comics audience follows the same idea? I think it says as much about Lee as anything I could possibly add.

Multi-quoting is surely an indicator of pure ars*y-ness/snobbishness in itself tbh. "Oh look at me, I've encapsulated all that's wrong with the underlying statements. This thread is over".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

du Maurier wrote: »
    Multi-quoting is surely an indicator of pure ars*y-ness/snobbishness in itself tbh. "Oh look at me, I've encapsulated all that's wrong with the underlying statements. This thread is over".
    Is it not just responding to individual posts but doing so on one post instead of a bunch of separate posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Lee's comedy is grounded in postmodern literature. Deconstruction, intertextuality, self referentiality and meta-comedy is his shtick.

Lee's deconstruction, intertextuality, self referentiality and meta-comedy pales in comparison to that of Les Dennis.

Is it not just responding to individual posts but doing so on one post instead of a bunch of separate posts?

I'd like to think it should be, but it usually carries a large degree of lordliness, encapsulating the error in their erroneous posts. Just seems a bit stuffy to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I voted yes but that's because I thought the vote was for Stewart Francis. Now he is funny. But Stewart Lee is not. Can I change my vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Blondie919 wrote: »
    I voted yes but that's because I thought the vote was for Stewart Francis. Now he is funny. But Stewart Lee is not. Can I change my vote?

My vote can cancel out yours! I voted No when I probably shouldn't have seeing as I haven't seen enough of his material to come to a fair conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I think he's pretty sharp.

What's this "hipster" thing about in relation to anything a person doesn't like that isn't mainstream? The term has merit for some stuff, but it's become just a way to dismiss/sneer a lot of the time too, which is ironically what hipsters get accused of.

Hipsterism is starting to confuse me, if I like something popular, that's considered uncool, does that make it...cool?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

krudler wrote: »
    Hipsterism is starting to confuse me, if I like something popular, that's considered uncool, does that make it...cool?

Stuart lee was a hipster before it was cool.

• Advertisement

The video below is an excellent conversation on Stand up comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭BlurstMonkey

krudler wrote: »

It's not a thing, it's a phantom idea. Hipster is a catch all for anyone that's young and doesn't fit the usual drag net of nerd or goth or whatever. It's half meant to be attributed to pseudo-intellectuals but there is no such thing as an "intellectual" 18 or 19 year old, meaning you can stick the label on anyone who tries to seem smart or different. No matter who they are going to be, at that age they're mostly going to have pretensions.
    It's more of an insult than an actual sub culture. The whole "culture" of the thing was brought to fruition in the first by Pabst Blue Ribbon in order to get their sales up. It's all just smoke.

It's not a thing, it's a phantom idea. Hipster is a catch all for anyone that's young and doesn't fit the usual drag net of nerd or goth or whatever. It's half meant to be attributed to pseudo-intellectuals but there is no such thing as an "intellectual" 18 or 19 year old, meaning you can stick the label on anyone who tries to seem smart or different. No matter who they are going to be, at that age they're mostly going to have pretensions.
    It's more of an insult than an actual sub culture. The whole "culture" of the thing was brought to fruition in the first by Pabst Blue Ribbon in order to get their sales up. It's all just smoke.

Awful, awful beer.

Exactly FF. Jesus I'm longwinded enough without multi posting. Otherwise I'd kill the effin servers. I'm thinking of the hamsters here.
    Though we crossed swords earlier you dog.:D I agree 100% with you on this BM. It's a very lazy label in general. Though because it has legs in the culture now there are actual "hipsters" abroad. People who knowingly bind to the lazy label and act it out in a daftly stereotypical way.

20Cent wrote: »
    Stuart lee was a hipster before it was cool.
    Actually that's one thing I'd not accuse the chap of.

The video below is an excellent conversation on Stand up comedy.

Whatever else is said about him, the guy is refreshingly articulate, earnest and decent.

Whatever else is said about him, the guy is refreshingly articulate, earnest and decent.

It is an excellent conversation and he reveals a lot about his style and method.

It is an excellent conversation and he reveals a lot about his style and method.

Love his criticism of a lot of crap shock-comedy (Frankie Boyle etc).

Edit: The "dog ****ting on the pavement" bit is a perfect depiction of the link between his own comedy and any offence caused.

Frankie Boyle is pretty awful, he has some good one liners on panel shows but as a full standup act he's woeful. I hate "I'll pick on the audience" comedy, it's a sign of a sh1te comedian. Jason Byrne etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I'm a fan. Very funny, sharp observations, brutally honest and hugely interesting to watch perform. Surely one of the UK's greatest ever comedians, imo at least, a comic genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I saw him a couple of weeks ago at the Edinburgh Fringe - he's one of the few comedians who you'll come away from their show with a few new thoughts in your head. For those open-minded enough to listen to what he says, they'll quickly realise he's repeating phrases for a reason :)

Advertisement