Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stewart Lee, do you think he's funny?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Being satisfied with oneself because you were intelligent enough to understand something? Christ, I would just hate that.

The point I should have elaborated on I suppose was the type of person in the crowd chuckling away at Stewart Lee's comedy whilst scanning the room and sneering at blank faces in the audience who obviously don't get the genius of Stewart Lee.

- Oh I get it, I just don't it funny. He's not my least favourite comedian by any stretch. That's vacated by Jim Davidson.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I think he's funny, but he's not the best comedian ever like some people like to portray him. I can usually only manage him in small doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

krudler wrote: »
    Agree, those loooong meandering stories repeating the same thing over and over "and Rodney made a face" yeah we get it. If as a comedian you're making people want you to hurry up and get to the point of the gag or story then you've lost them.

This is called form.

The same way poets use form and playwrights and novelists. Most comedians don't have a clue what form is and he is one of the few that does.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    This is called form.

The same way poets use form and playwrights and novelists. Most comedians don't have a clue what form is and he is one of the few that does.

Hang on so if you were reading a book that had the same phrase repeated over and over and over for a full page you wouldn't think "jesus get to the point?" That's how I feel seeing a lot of Lee's stuff, and the payoff isn't all that funny some of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I like him , he makes some really funny,original observations, but he makes FAR too much use of repetition in his delivery. A little adds style,I'll give him that, but he crosses the line into bloody insufferable at times saying the same thing over and over.

Someone needs to tell him aint no one got time for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Hang on so if you were reading a book that had the same phrase repeated over and over and over for a full page you wouldn't think "jesus get to the point?" That's how I feel seeing a lot of Lee's stuff, and the payoff isn't all that funny some of the time.

That's because while you were sitting there waiting for the punchline to happen, it was already happening and you were it.

I like him , he makes some really funny,original observations, but he makes FAR too much use of repetition in his delivery. A little adds style,I'll give him that, but he crosses the line into bloody insufferable at times saying the same thing over and over.

Someone needs to tell him aint no one got time for that!

A lot of the time he is being insufferable on purpose.

The point I should have elaborated on I suppose was the type of person in the crowd chuckling away at Stewart Lee's comedy whilst scanning the room and sneering at blank faces in the audience who obviously don't get the genius of Stewart Lee.

- Oh I get it, I just don't it funny. He's not my least favourite comedian by any stretch. That's vacated by Jim Davidson.

So some fans of his happen to be spas and that's his fault in your eyes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭BlurstMonkey

That's because while you were sitting there waiting for the punchline to happen, it was already happening and you were it.

His newest recorded show had some great bits with regard to this, taking the piss out of the crowd at the back who bought tickets off the back of his TV success. It was all playful naturally, he makes another crack at how all of his real fans are pseudo-intellectuals, which again wasn't meant in a harsh way. It was a great inclusive quip that was representative of his humour.

I love Stewart Lees stuff. He's a man of quality at swim in a sea of mediocrity and I do genuinely believe that people don't like him because following him requires just a certain amount of mental stimulation, and it is a kind of intellectual satisfaction. That I feel I shouldn't be typing that as a statement goes to show the current of anti-intellectualism that exists in modern day culture. I expect some Disney/Sesame Street type reaction along the lines of "everyone has their own opinion", which is just encouraging stupidity, mediocrity and a society incapable of critical thinking.

Nope. But he attracts this type of fan and seems to lap it up with gusto.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nope, they were already lost and had no business being at the show.
    This is called form.

A lot of the time he is being insufferable on purpose.
    Consider if you will the pretentious, self important and snobbish replies above. As dog owners are commonly seen to resemble their dogs, maybe a comics audience follows the same idea? I think it says as much about Lee as anything I could possibly add.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Consider if you will the pretentious, self important and snobbish replies above. As dog owners are commonly seen to resemble their dogs, maybe a comics audience follows the same idea? I think it says as much about Lee as anything I could possibly add.

I hope you realise just how snobby you're being with that generalization, and comparison with dogs thrown in, very tasteless. Talk about having your precious nose in the air.

Nope. But he attracts this type of fan and seems to lap it up with gusto.

I'd agree with you there alright, as for whether he laps it up I can't speak for him. I'm sure he likes their money!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Well to be fair people will naturally defend something they have a vested interest in, god knows I do it too. I'm not saying Lee is a bad comedian, he's not, I just don't like his delivery a lot of the time and constant banging on about how other comedians suck. Is he funny? yes, clever when he wants to be? yes. Beyond criticism? nope. He has plenty of weak points, but pointing those out means you "just don't get it".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think the definition of "snob" and indeed "pretentious" is being confused by some here. Pointing out snobbery does not mean one is being a snob to do so. Often means the exact opposite. The dogs reference? I could have said cats I suppose. No "taste" or lack of it involved. If anything I was equating the audience with dog owners. Humans as it were. Did you actually think I was calling people/equating people with dogs? Ehhhh :confused:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Pardon anyone for knowing anything about literary fiction or art.

Well to be fair people will naturally defend something they have a vested interest in, god knows I do it too. I'm not saying Lee is a bad comedian, he's not, I just don't like his delivery a lot of the time and constant banging on about how other comedians suck. Is he funny? yes, clever when he wants to be? yes. Beyond criticism? nope. He has plenty of weak points, but pointing those out means you "just don't get it".

I'd be of the same opinion. I do appreciate a fair bit of his material but I don't like being accused of being thick for being critical of his long repetitive sequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭zega

He's an unfunny cnut.

zega wrote: »
    He's an unfunny ****.

Yay! Finally an After Hours reply!

Complete horse ****e from you Wibbs and ironic how you use pretention, self importance and snobbery to accuse me of same. Stewart Lee is flawed like any other and I disagree with his opinion and certain statements on occasion, but as far as originality and innovation is concerned he's light years ahead of most of his peers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

he's about as funny as been hung by the bollix

he's pretentious, and the people who find him funny and frown on others who don't are pretentious bellends

Complete horse ****e from you Wibbs and ironic how you use a pretention, self importance and snobbery to accuse me of same.

He is being ironic like Stewart Lee.

Pardon anyone for knowing anything about literary fiction or art.
    Ahhh the gift of pretension that keeps on giving. :pac: Do you even see how you're coming across here MB? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'm quite fond of the way he seems to intentionally sabotage his own jokes just because he wants to.

I don't think he's super clever or breaking boundaries in comedy or any ****e but he has his own thing and he does it well.
    His thing is comedy about comedy (as opposed to about trains, or ex-wives or whatever). That doesn't make it better or worse. It's just a topic.

I think the definition of "snob" and indeed "pretentious" is being confused by some here. Pointing out snobbery does not mean one is being a snob to do so. Often means the exact opposite. The dogs reference? I could have said cats I suppose. No "taste" or lack of it involved. If anything I was equating the audience with dog owners. Humans as it were. Did you actually think I was calling people/equating people with dogs? Ehhhh :confused:

You can address me directly. Retreat into technicalities if you like. The connotations involved in the dog comment you made are obvious and as old as the hills when it comes to talking down your nose about something or someone. I won't even bother, I'm not looking to argue. I'll say again, it's a comment in bad taste. Pull the confused face if you like, it's not impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

He's OK but he's no Tom O' Connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

More interesting than funny to me...

Ahhh the gift of pretension that keeps on giving. :pac: Do you even see how you're coming across here MB? Really?

Lee's comedy is grounded in postmodern literature. Deconstruction, intertextuality, self referentiality and meta-comedy is his shtick. Some people will like it, some will not. I know exactly how I am coming across; I'm simply trying to highlight some of the merits of his stand up. I already said in my first post in the last thread this would appear to some as pretentious (heaven forbid someone actually understand his methods). You believe that this is pretentious. There is very little I can do about the assumptions you are making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Complete horse ****e from you Wibbs and ironic how you use pretention, self importance and snobbery to accuse me of same. Stewart Lee is flawed like any other and I disagree with his opinion and certain statements on occasion, but as far as originality and innovation is concerned he's light years ahead of most of his peers.

No, no he's not.
    His ramblings are mostly inane & the fact that he occasionally says something insightful should not negate the hours of verbal diarrhoea that one has to suffer beforehand.

• Advertisement

Complete horse ****e from you Wibbs
    That's usually a given.
    ironic
    We'll get to that later...
    pretention
    Please point out the pretension in my post.
    self importance
    Not a hard sell, but again point it out in this instance.
    snobbery
    Please point out the snobbery in my post.

However your posts are far more easily construed as "snobbish". I could re quote them, but that would be churlish. And we come back to the "Ironic" of above.
    I'll say again, it's a comment in bad taste.
    Good god. OK I apologise unreservedly for bringing in dogs and their owners as a metaphor.

Advertisement