Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stewart Lee, do you think he's funny?

Options
  • 22-09-2013 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭

I'm not a fan. I think he's one for the hispster comedy snob who takes smug satisfaction in understanding the joke.

Is he funny? 308 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    62% 192 votes
    I'm watching d'All Irelan'
    37% 116 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I think he's brilliant, went to see him live last year and had one of the best times at a comedy gig I've had in my life, he was terrific ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

No, and I have tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Jokes go on far too long and the pay-off is always deliberately terrible so why would you bother. It's like those achingly tedious family guy jokes all rolled into one depressed self-deprecating package. However he obviously loves that people think he's ****, and that's what I really don't like about his style. I do like this page on his site though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

No. Unfunny, doesn't appreciate good comedy & tries to deconstruct other people's work in an effort to make himself seem funnier & clever.
    He fails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

I don't like people who have a first name as a second name, so I dislike him anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 326 ✭✭Savoir.Faire

He likes to rip the piss out of more commercially minded comedians like Michael McIntyre. The thing is they are both really shit, only in different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Find some of his stuff funny but it all comes across as sneering snobby comedy. The clip about breaking down the Only Fools clip above. How many people will remember a Stewart Lee gag in 30 years time and use it as part of a standup routine? exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

He's pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I think he is brilliant live, but I don't agree with some of his snobbish comments.

Richard Herring is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

I don't like Hipsters but I like the comedy of Stewart Lee.

Although I think he has it wrong on health and safety.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I find it hard to describe his comedy or why it's good, but it really is very good. Not really something you can watch a youtube clip of, or even an abbreviated 20min set of - you have to sit down and watch the dvd's from start to finish to get into the tone and enjoy all of the callbacks. Very intense and good stuff though - I'd take him over Michael McIntyre or Stewart Lee any day of the week (though I used to like the latter and MM is alright in small doses).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Compared to some comedians on the go atm, he's not that bad.

I'd sooner listen to him than Russel Howard or Ross Noble or any of those other mentally challenged dopes that think shouting makes their jokes funnier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

His piece about political correctness was spot on.

Total hipster though. Quite condescending and aloof mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

He likes to rip the piss out of more commercially minded comedians like Michael McIntyre. The thing is they are both really shit, only in different ways.

Yeah McIntyre is the polar opposite, I'd rather listen to an upper-class white boy joke from McIntyre any day than Lee droning on about how s*** we all are though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Never heard of him. Honestly. Must be rubbish so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

He's an unfunny, monotoned, ranting bore with a superiority complex and a nasty streak.
    The most overrated comedian of all time by a considerable distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Some of his stuff his on the money but as stated above already, it is the way it is delivered I find problematic. He spends far too much time slaggin other comedians also, even if he is right about alot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I'm not a fan. I think he's one for the hispster comedy snob who takes smug satisfaction in understanding the joke.

"The hipster comedy snob who takes smug satisfaction in understanding the joke." Way to come off as a total and utter hipster with that truly bizarre sentence. Being satisfied with oneself because you were intelligent enough to understand something? Christ, I would just hate that.

Stewart Lee is one of the greatest comedians the UK has ever produced. 41st greatest stand up in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Compared to some comedians on the go atm, he's not that bad.

I'd sooner listen to him than Russel Howard or Ross Noble or any of those other mentally challenged dopes that think shouting makes their jokes funnier.

Most of these young guys are more panel show guests than actual comedians. Russel Howard, Jack Whithall, Chris Ramsey etc. They are Westlife equivalent in TV. Pretty boys who are famous for being famous rather than contributors to the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

He used to be funnier, he's after dumbing down his act a lot in the last few years so he'll appeal to the masses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

He's about as funny as cancer IMO.

I thought he and his sketch material was brilliant on "This Morning with Richard not Judy". Very under rated show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I thought he and his sketch material was brilliant on "This Morning with Richard not Judy". Very under rated show.
    Consider the lilly.

Ahhhhhh.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

He did a routine at the Edinburgh comedy festival a few years back about the film Braveheart. Absolute comedy genius. Did a great routine about 9/11 also.Some of his stuff is a bit hit and miss sometimes but thats the case with all comics. He is very original and those who don't like him probably don't understand the jokes.He is Ricky Gervais favorite comedian which is high praise in my book. People think he is some over privileged toff. This is not the case as he was at one time sleeping rough on an office floor before his career took off.

Setun wrote: »
    Consider the lilly.

Ahhhhhh.

;)

:D

Kevin Eldons stuff on that was pure gold aswell, Simon Quinlak etc

Some of his stuff his on the money but as stated above already, it is the way it is delivered I find problematic. He spends far too much time slaggin other comedians also, even if he is right about alot of them.

Agree, those loooong meandering stories repeating the same thing over and over "and Rodney made a face" yeah we get it. If as a comedian you're making people want you to hurry up and get to the point of the gag or story then you've lost them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

krudler wrote: »
    Agree, those loooong meandering stories repeating the same thing over and over "and Rodney made a face" yeah we get it. If as a comedian you're making people want you to hurry up and get to the point of the gag or story then you've lost them.

Nope, they were already lost and had no business being at the show.

I like him in small doses and some of his observations are very astute, but if he dropped the intellectual snobbery and occasional bout of sneering, he'd be funnier.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Most of these young guys are more panel show guests than actual comedians. Russel Howard, Jack Whithall, Chris Ramsey etc. They are Westlife equivalent in TV. Pretty boys who are famous for being famous rather than contributors to the genre.

It's not even just the younger guys who tend to do it. Rob Brydon & Jack Dee are terrible for talking over others just to make themselves heard.. even Dara Ó Briain has a tendency to do it on panel shows.. and they're all very well respected stand-ups.

Marcus Brigstocke handles himself well on panel shows in comparison to the above. He's usually great on HIGNFY. Actually on the point of that show, I'd say Ian Hislop is funnier than most 'comedians' mentioned so far.. and that's not even his main occupation! Paul Merton is also very very funny live...

Obviously it's just down to personal preference at the end of the day, comedy is probably the most subjective form of entertainment there is.. no one person can truly say that 'x isn't funny'.

• Advertisement

Nope, they were already lost and had no business being at the show.

He does make some very funny observations, but his delivery takes too long, and it's just the same sentence over and over. mumble into the mike, wait for sneering applause, more mumbling. repeat same observation a half dozen times more before punchline. Repeat for show.

It's easy to make fun of other people's work, even if you don't like the people he's slagging off. I'm no fan of Michael McIntyre either but he's made me chuckle a few times, it's easily relatable comedy, pretty harmless stuff. He's a gurning fool at the best of times but I'd be lying if I said I've never once laughed at something he said.

Advertisement