Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stewart Lee, do you think he's funny?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

stimpson wrote: »
    I found this last night on Lee's website - the Michael Redmond/Joe Pasquale story:

http://www.stewartlee.co.uk/press/writtenformoney/formoney.php?page=1995-12-00-joe_pasquale-sundaytimes.php

Pasquale is lucky he didnt use a friend of Joe Rogan's joke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdugSUFbzws

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

raven136 wrote: »

Southpark absoutely destroyed that guy (and kanye west) in one episode!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

People not liking stewart lee makes me sad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Spunge wrote: »
    People not liking stewart lee makes me sad :(

Think how sad it would make him if everyone liked him!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

By the way Michael Redmond is well worth checking out!
    "i rang a book shop the other day, the woman said "can i help you", i said no i'm just browsing"

He's like an Irish Steven Wright.
    That relentless absurdity but still coming out with great insights.
    Shame that so much comedy has become the opposite of this stuff.

• Advertisement

I don't even think he does take the pi$$ out frankie boyle, i thought the general jist of "boyles law" was that adding anal rape to a joke only makes it funny if it's crafted properly! (not by saying "anus" in sheffield in the middle of a joke told in french!) ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

He's an unfunny, monotoned, ranting bore with a superiority complex and a nasty streak.

You've just summed up why I find him funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

e_e wrote: »
    Top Gear
    Breivik writes in praise of BBC television show Top Gear:
    quotes_1817837a.gifJeremy Clarkson heads the program “Top Gear” at the BBC, one of the funniest shows on TV. Since it has absolutely nothing to do with politics or religion, only with cars, it is one of the very few programs at the Burka Broadcasting Corporation still worth seeing.
    He goes on to quote at length from an article written by Jeremy Clarkson, entitled “we’ve been robbed of our Englishness,"from Times Online, in which Clarkson writes: "This is the only country in the world where the national flag is deemed offensive."
    Breivik says: "I have to disagree with Clarkson regarding the English national flag, though. Discrediting national flags as signs of “bigotry” is happening all over the Western world."

are we done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

raven136 wrote: »

The best thing about the UFC back in the early days was it didnt have that unfunny cock anywhere near it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

It's not even just the younger guys who tend to do it. Rob Brydon & Jack Dee are terrible for talking over others just to make themselves heard.. even Dara Ó Briain has a tendency to do it on panel shows.. and they're all very well respected stand-ups.

Marcus Brigstocke handles himself well on panel shows in comparison to the above. He's usually great on HIGNFY. Actually on the point of that show, I'd say Ian Hislop is funnier than most 'comedians' mentioned so far.. and that's not even his main occupation! Paul Merton is also very very funny live...

Obviously it's just down to personal preference at the end of the day, comedy is probably the most subjective form of entertainment there is.. no one person can truly say that 'x isn't funny'.

Hislop is great, he does it with little effort. Wasn't he involved with Private Eye and Spitting Image?

Love Rob Byrdon and Jack Dee, surprised how funny Dara can be, thought he was a bit safe, but no, he comes out with some crackers

Lee, ah, he is hit and miss. you need to be clued in listening to him, that kind of rules the fun a bit

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm not a fan. I think he's one for the hispster comedy snob who takes smug satisfaction in understanding the joke.

I don't know OP. I think you probably could have gotten a few more loaded adjectives in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Hislop is great, he does it with little effort. Wasn't he involved with Private Eye and Spitting Image?

Yeah.. he's one seriously funny and intelligent man but yet hates when his stuff is described as 'comedy'

That in itself shows him for what he is.. since he's purportedly the 'most sued man in British history'.. while loads of other comedians get away with stuff by saying it was 'only a joke' (Frankie Boyle springs to mind), Hislop actually fights his cases using facts!

He made a holy show out of people when he appeared at the Leveson Inquiry.. the man's a genius. Should be Pope, or Taoiseach.. or something!

Saw stu last night...brilliant of course...I was actually honoured that we are now up there with Glasgow and stu and rip the pi$$ out of us to our faces!!

Got to observe a heckler in his habitat too from my balcony seat...what pathetic lives they lead...after he heckled, his "mates" and people around him turned on him a little and he spent the next 10 minute looking for their attention...and the rest of the gig with his head down ...dejected that nobody was interested..."Are you a sardine?" indeed mr heckler....you f**ing tw*t......

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭cb102

Saw him last night too. Wasn't his best performance in my opinion.
    He seemed a little p1$$ed off (and yes I know it can be part of the act).

Hecklers ruined a couple of key moments. Have you ever heard a funny heckler? :(

"Did you know you can get locked up in England if you say you are English" x 50 - not great
    Imaginary Black wife and Gay man wife - great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Got to observe a heckler in his habitat too from my balcony seat...what pathetic lives they lead...after he heckled, his "mates" and people around him turned on him a little and he spent the next 10 minute looking for their attention...and the rest of the gig with his head down ...dejected that nobody was interested..."Are you a sardine?" indeed mr heckler....you f**ing tw*t......

That guy was a c*nt. F*cking idiots.
    cb102 wrote: »
    "Did you know you can get locked up in England if you say you are English" x 50 - not great

It was a bit of a work-in-progress show so I'd say those routines will be finely tuned next time you see him do them.

Thought Eleanor Tiernan was pretty good too in support.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

cb102 wrote: »
    Saw him last night too. Wasn't his best performance in my opinion.
    He seemed a little p1$$ed off (and yes I know it can be part of the act).

Hecklers ruined a couple of key moments. Have you ever heard a funny heckler? :(

I saw him Sunday night and we were spared the hecklers. Obviously the real fans got tickets for the first gig. He doesn't like new people coming to his shows :)

The repetition is part of the act - he always seems to push it that little bit too far to wind up the audience. He did it in Carpet Remnant World too, and on the telly.

It did seem a bit short to me though - on at 9:15, finished at 10:30. I'm pretty sure he did a 2 hour set last time.

In the taxi on the way home the taxi driver started going on about people with 7 kids on social welfare. I nearly said you can stop here and let me out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I went to see him in Vicar Street the other night and realised... I actually don't find him that funny.

He's intelligent and what he talks about can be interesting, but I realised, when it comes down to it, I like my comedians to give me belly laughs as well as being intelligent and insightful.

I also don't really like the way he tends to bitch about other comedians in his sets, even if they're not even comedians I like. Tis a bit snide.

I went to see him in Vicar Street the other night and realised... I actually don't find him that funny.

He's intelligent and what he talks about can be interesting, but I realised, when it comes down to it, I like my comedians to give me belly laughs as well as being intelligent and insightful.

Did you agree the sh*t out of his set? :pac:

• Advertisement

repsol wrote: »
    He is Ricky Gervais favorite comedian which is high praise in my book.

Really? It isn't, in mine.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Did you agree the sh*t out of his set? :pac:

I don't understand this post, which probably means I missing some clever joke. Ah well.

I don't understand this post, which probably means I missing some clever joke. Ah well.

He talked last night about 'comedy by consensus' - "didn't laugh at him but I agreed the sh*t out of his set."

I felt it apt since you seemed to fall into that category.

Did he not mention that on Sunday night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

first time ive ever seen him .that very first clip in the ops post about del boy was absoloute ****e.kak.going on that i wouldnt watch him ever ever again.
    thankyou for wasting my time op.

He talked last night about 'comedy by consensus' - "didn't laugh at him but I agreed the sh*t out of his set."

Oh yes, he did. Christ, shows how unmemorable I found his show! I was also really uncomfortable, and very tired which didn't help!

krudler wrote: »
    Well to be fair people will naturally defend something they have a vested interest in, god knows I do it too. I'm not saying Lee is a bad comedian, he's not, I just don't like his delivery a lot of the time and constant banging on about how other comedians suck. Is he funny? yes, clever when he wants to be? yes. Beyond criticism? nope. He has plenty of weak points, but pointing those out means you "just don't get it".

Just like when people criticise Ricky Gervais.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Just like when people criticise Ricky Gervais.

I like Gervais too but he's very hit and miss, watched Derek recently and thought it was great though.

That guy was a c*nt. F*cking idiots.

It was a bit of a work-in-progress show so I'd say those routines will be finely tuned next time you see him do them.

Thought Eleanor Tiernan was pretty good too in support.
    and i nearly forgot...the guy who heckled right on the punchline!!

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Pardon anyone for knowing anything about literary fiction or art.

Yes, anyone who doesn't like Stewart Lee is a literary philistine... apparently.

• Advertisement

Oh, wait did you think of the Lativan bit?

I didn't think it worked, at all.

I'd be surprised if it turns up in the finished show.

Advertisement