Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons In Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

It's amazing some of the prices, like howling gale ale, it's €2.45 (330ml) it costs €2 in Dunnes and €2.40 in Tesco! So it's at supermarket off licence prices which is incredible,

It's a cork beer aswell! Pubs in the city have it on Tap but it's well over €5 a pint,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

bladebrew wrote: »
    It's amazing some of the prices, like howling gale ale, it's €2.45 (330ml) it costs €2 in Dunnes and €2.40 in Tesco! So it's at supermarket off licence prices which is incredible,

It's a cork beer aswell! Pubs in the city have it on Tap but it's well over €5 a pint,

What places sell Howling Gale for well over a fiver? Most I've ever paid was a fiver, never more than it.

Agreed about the great value for the bottles in Wetherspoon, though. Pubs charge a ridiculous amount for 33cl bottles. I can never understand how many of them justify selling them for more than the draught pints, when you're getting nearly half the beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    What places sell Howling Gale for well over a fiver? Most I've ever paid was a fiver, never more than it.

Agreed about the great value for the bottles in Wetherspoon, though. Pubs charge a ridiculous amount for 33cl bottles. I can never understand how many of them justify selling them for more than the draught pints, when you're getting nearly half the beer.

Space ? Kegs generally take up less room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Its simple the pubs are charged more to bring in bottles than kegs, if you want to ask why again you're goin to the brewers/distillers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pubs charge over the odds for long-necks because enough people are willing to pay over the odds for them. It really is that simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,994 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Pubs charge over the odds for long-necks because enough people are willing to pay over the odds for them. It really is that simple.

It looks cooler :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

rob316 wrote: »
    It looks cooler :rolleyes:

Or a person prefers the taste of the drink out of them

Or a person is watching what they are drinking so as not to get too drunk/cannot handle too much alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

There is a lot of talk about atmosphere in pubs and how some have great atmosphere and others are devoid of it.
    To my mind, atmosphere is created by those around you.

So if I am surrounded by 5 friends and we are having a laugh and joke then that is good enough atmosphere for me.
    If we were in Sober Lane and we had a round of 6 pints we would be looking at €31 a call (@ €5.20 a pint). The same round would cost €17 in JDW (@ €2.90 a pint)

The arrival of JDW might also cool the arrogance of some of the “traditional Irish Pubs” in Cork…
    And when I say arrogance I mean door staff who refuse entry because you might be wearing runners or simply because your face or age demographic doesn’t fit the “traditional Irish pub”

Case in point…. Sitting in the Bodega 3 days before Christmas with two friends who had returned from abroad, one Canada the other London for the festivities and I hadn’t seen them if over 7 years. We decided to head to Soho and because I needed to use the bathroom I said I’d follow them.
    Long story short, doorman at Soho politely tells me I have too much alcohol on board (I had two pints in the Bodega). Having a phone with a rubbish battery I was unable to text friends inside so night spoiled by doorman.
    Up to then they were more than happy to accept my money when I would go in there at lunch times for a bite to eat.

City Centre pubs in Cork are arrogant (not all mind) with their over the top prices and selective door policy.

Welcome to Cork JDW. I’m delighted you are already making waves before your arrival!!

When is it opening btw? and Where?

Space ? Kegs generally take up less room.

The space is a good point for smaller pubs not buying in big stocks (say, a few keg's equivalent), but you'd see pubs with huge fridge space (and, I'd imagine stock space out the back) that sell them at €5+ when the pint is €4.50ish. With kegs, you have to spend on the CO2 cylinders, as well, so they've more cost associated with them.
    Deco99 wrote: »
    Its simple the pubs are charged more to bring in bottles than kegs, if you want to ask why again you're goin to the brewers/distillers.

Why don't the pubs ask why? If they're feeling ripped off (and I agree they generally are), then they should do something about it. Negotiate down, negotiate in groups, get some help off the LVA/VFI or else stock from the supermarket if it's cheaper there than the brewery.
    gimmick wrote: »
    Or a person prefers the taste of the drink out of them

Or a person is watching what they are drinking so as not to get too drunk/cannot handle too much alcohol

If it's the same drink, then it's really not going to taste much different from a bottle. I don't see why half pints aren't more popular here. I know some pubs disincentivise people from buying them by charging more than half the price of a full pint, but you'd still be talking better value than the bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

If it's the same drink, then it's really not going to taste much different from a bottle. .

sometimes taps which are not used often give beers an awful taste (or make you sick), so in certain places its best to go for bottles unless you were sure pints were pulled recently on that tap.

The space is a good point for smaller pubs not buying in big stocks (say, a few keg's equivalent), but you'd see pubs with huge fridge space (and, I'd imagine stock space out the back) that sell them at €5+ when the pint is €4.50ish. With kegs, you have to spend on the CO2 cylinders, as well, so they've more cost associated with them.

Why don't the pubs ask why? If they're feeling ripped off (and I agree they generally are), then they should do something about it. Negotiate down, negotiate in groups, get some help off the LVA/VFI or else stock from the supermarket if it's cheaper there than the brewery.

If it's the same drink, then it's really not going to taste much different from a bottle. I don't see why half pints aren't more popular here. I know some pubs disincentivise people from buying them by charging more than half the price of a full pint, but you'd still be talking better value than the bottles.

1. Even with the CO2 draught is way cheaper than bottles, more profit out of pints, i could find out at weekend exactly what the costs are.

2. The VFI are pretty useless, instead of negotiating with Sky it recommended members to not get it. Maybe Wetherspoons will help on that front.

3. Do you drink much, bottles and draught are way different. Even two different taps of the same draught can be different. Any time i go into a pub i take a look at what everyone at the counter is drinking before ordering.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    sometimes taps which are not used often give beers an awful taste (or make you sick), so in certain places its best to go for bottles unless you were sure pints were pulled recently on that tap.

Got advice for Limerick Racecourse once "drink bottles and bet on Leopardstown"

hoodwinked wrote: »

Kegs keep beer fresh for a good while. The keg and the lines are sealed and under pressure from CO2. Having beer sitting in the lines is the same as having it sit in the kegs. It's the same liquid and the same CO2 gas.
    1. Even with the CO2 draught is way cheaper than bottles, more profit out of pints, i could find out at weekend exactly what the costs are.

2. The VFI are pretty useless, instead of negotiating with Sky it recommended members to not get it. Maybe Wetherspoons will help on that front.

3. Do you drink much, bottles and draught are way different. Even two different taps of the same draught can be different. Any time i go into a pub i take a look at what everyone at the counter is drinking before ordering.

1. According to the Sunday Business Post a few years ago, €130 for a 50L keg of Guinness. I can't imagine it's gotten cheaper in the interim. So, €2.60 a litre. That's the equivalent of 85c a bottle. Plenty of supermarkets and shops are able to bulk sell at that price and turn a profit. If a pub is paying more than the shops are able to sell at, then they're getting ripped off. And if they can get it cheaper in the shops, why not do that? (Indeed, some pubs do buy the multi-packs and re-sell them.)

2. Yet pubs waste their money joining. The VFI and LVA represent the majority of pubs in this country. You'd think a union that size would be able to command a bit of buying power.

3. Apart from varying carbonation and temperature, why would there be a huge different between bottled, kegged and cask beer? If I were to brew a batch and put half of it into a keg and the other half into bottles, what would make it taste very differently?

Kegs keep beer fresh for a good while. The keg and the lines are sealed and under pressure from CO2. Having beer sitting in the lines is the same as having it sit in the kegs. It's the same liquid and the same CO2 gas.

1. According to the Sunday Business Post a few years ago, €130 for a 50L keg of Guinness. I can't imagine it's gotten cheaper in the interim. So, €2.60 a litre. That's the equivalent of 85c a bottle. Plenty of supermarkets and shops are able to bulk sell at that price and turn a profit. If a pub is paying more than the shops are able to sell at, then they're getting ripped off. And if they can get it cheaper in the shops, why not do that? (Indeed, some pubs do buy the multi-packs and re-sell them.)

2. Yet pubs waste their money joining. The VFI and LVA represent the majority of pubs in this country. You'd think a union that size would be able to command a bit of buying power.

3. Apart from varying carbonation and temperature, why would there be a huge different between bottled, kegged and cask beer? If I were to brew a batch and put half of it into a keg and the other half into bottles, what would make it taste very differently?

1. Alot of the discount selling in shops is not at a profit, its called a loss leader where you sell cheaper than you buy to bring in the crowd.
    An item for someone who may know better, are pubs allowed stock from supermarkets? VAT purposes, trading regulations? I think there is a catch somewhere.

2. Its a union not a cartel.

3. Seriously, do you drink beer much? Most people would agree that there is a difference between bottles and pints. It may not be quantifiable but start a poll on here and I would be very confident that there is a similar opinion.

1. Alot of the discount selling in shops is not at a profit, its called a loss leader where you sell cheaper than you buy to bring in the crowd.
    An item for someone who may know better, are pubs allowed stock from supermarkets? VAT purposes, trading regulations? I think there is a catch somewhere.

2. Its a union not a cartel.

3. Seriously, do you drink beer much? Most people would agree that there is a difference between bottles and pints. It may not be quantifiable but start a poll on here and I would be very confident that there is a similar opinion.

1. That loss leader/below cost selling is a line frequently thrown out, but never backed up (including in the government's report into minimum pricing). Places like Centra sell 33cl bottles at 20 for €15. That's a convenience shop, not the kind of place where people would do their weekly grocery shopping. I can't see how they'd survive selling alcohol below cost.

If you have a licence to sell it and you purchase it lawfully, there's no tax or trading laws to stop you from buying from a supermarket and re-selling.

2. Ha, well many would disagree about the cartel thing, considering their constant push for minimum pricing/trying to keep places like JDW from entering the Irish market.

3. I would agree with you, I think many would swear about it being better from one or the other. But then again, many swear that a two part pour remarkably changes the taste of a stout. Do a blind test on either, and I'd wager that most would find both to be the same.

What's the logic behind the huge difference in taste between bottle and keg, for a beer that's fermented in the same container?

1. That loss leader/below cost selling is a line frequently thrown out, but never backed up (including in the government's report into minimum pricing). Places like Centra sell 33cl bottles at 20 for €15. That's a convenience shop, not the kind of place where people would do their weekly grocery shopping. I can't see how they'd survive selling alcohol below cost.

If you have a licence to sell it and you purchase it lawfully, there's no tax or trading laws to stop you from buying from a supermarket and re-selling.

2. Ha, well many would disagree about the cartel thing, considering their constant push for minimum pricing/trying to keep places like JDW from entering the Irish market.

3. I would agree with you, I think many would swear about it being better from one or the other. But then again, many swear that a two part pour remarkably changes the taste of a stout. Do a blind test on either, and I'd wager that most would find both to be the same.

What's the logic behind the huge difference in taste between bottle and keg, for a beer that's fermented in the same container?

There is a skill in pouring a pint of beer, a method to maintaining lines for draught, alot more variables than the bottle out of the fridge. There is a difference between bottles and draight. Draight cider is alot more gassy than bottles in my local. Plus alot of bottles are not available on draught. Would you drink a pint of coors light? i sure wouldnt. :)

There is a skill in pouring a pint of beer, a method to maintaining lines for draught, alot more variables than the bottle out of the fridge. There is a difference between bottles and draight. Draight cider is alot more gassy than bottles in my local. Plus alot of bottles are not available on draught. Would you drink a pint of coors light? i sure wouldnt. :)

Pouring it will affect head retention and carbonation, yeah. But not hugely affect the taste. If a pub doesn't have clean lines, then I wouldn't be going there at all, whether I'm intending to buy draught or bottled. Likewise, you could have spoiled bottles from the sunlight, but, again, you'd expect any decent bar/brewery to have proper storage methods to prevent this.

Draught beer will hav varying carbonation, because the barman sets the level (though, I'd imagine the Diageo and Heineken "quality control" teams try to maintain a standardised level for their brands), whereas the bottles will be sealed throughout. But I wouldn't see how that would hugely change the taste.

I agree with you about the bottles not being available on tap. Eg, you can't expect the Bierhaus' 100+ bottle selection all to be on tap. I was referring to common brands where that are widely available on tap and bottle.

By the way, in answer to your earlier question, they currently have two sites in Cork. The site of the old Newport Café on Paul Street and Douglas. They've apparently also taken out a lease on a place by Dennehy's Cross. No official date set by them yet. They bought the one in town a year and a bit ago, but they were held up on renovation because of planning issues. I'd say it won't be opening before March. For the two in Dublin, they started a countdown on their website about two months in advance.

Pouring it will affect head retention and carbonation, yeah. But not hugely affect the taste. If a pub doesn't have clean lines, then I wouldn't be going there at all, whether I'm intending to buy draught or bottled. Likewise, you could have spoiled bottles from the sunlight, but, again, you'd expect any decent bar/brewery to have proper storage methods to prevent this.

Draught beer will hav varying carbonation, because the barman sets the level (though, I'd imagine the Diageo and Heineken "quality control" teams try to maintain a standardised level for their brands), whereas the bottles will be sealed throughout. But I wouldn't see how that would hugely change the taste.

I agree with you about the bottles not being available on tap. Eg, you can't expect the Bierhaus' 100+ bottle selection all to be on tap. I was referring to common brands where that are widely available on tap and bottle.

By the way, in answer to your earlier question, they currently have two sites in Cork. The site of the old Newport Café on Paul Street and Douglas. They've apparently also taken out a lease on a place by Dennehy's Cross. No official date set by them yet. They bought the one in town a year and a bit ago, but they were held up on renovation because of planning issues. I'd say it won't be opening before March. For the two in Dublin, they started a countdown on their website about two months in advance.

Thanks question answered. As for the other discussion I dont care anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Don't forget the site in Douglas the prince of Wales

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Really? Any idea where? Maybe one of the vacant units in the strip by Tesco Express and Ramen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

VFI LVFI are just mouth pieces. Publicans in practice rarely work together each trying to out do the other out of a half penny. \drinking habits have changed most publicans still don't get this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Good old Benny mcabe was on with prenderville while ago putting down witherspoons! Shaking in his boots I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

CHealy wrote: »
    How very judgmental of you. So anyone that wants to not be ripped off for a pint is now some sort of thug?

I think its your type that Wetherspoons should be wary about. Get down from the top of your nose.

+1

Having been to the Wetherspoons in both Dun Laoghaire and Blackrock (Co. Dublin) they are both well run and by no means draw an ugly / unsavoury crowd.

Like any bar they have bouncers there and anyone unruly is thrown out, that being said I have been there plenty of times and have yet to see any trouble (and that is the honest truth).

blindsider wrote: »
    Really? Any idea where? Maybe one of the vacant units in the strip by Tesco Express and Ramen?

Yeah, that's the rumour. I've only read it on the Wetherspoons threads on the Beer Forum and this one, though.
    Cape Clear wrote: »
    VFI LVFI are just mouth pieces. Publicans in practice rarely work together each trying to out do the other out of a half penny. \drinking habits have changed most publicans still don't get this.

Agreed. There seems to be no sense of collective bargaining, except when it comes to lobbying the government for protectionist legislation. Instead of going after the suppliers, they just want to pass it onto the consumer. the VFI and LVA (who are discussing a merger) represent the majority of pubs in Ireland. Their collective bargaining power is huge and dwarfs JDW.

Not at all surprised to see the two fellas who aren't far off holding a duopoly in city centre pubs coming out in the media like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Centra are supplied by musgraves so they would have no problem selling beer below cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ktc99

Centra is supplied by Musgraves but each shop is a separate business and have different owners who set the prices. Musgraves don't set their prices. It's each owners decision whether to sell below cost price.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I have never seen hard evidence that any supermarket sells beer below cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Not overly relevant i know but they do a damn nice veggie burger, looking forward to them opening, more variety is no harm at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

When they open in cork I think we should have a boardies nite out!

Advertisement