Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons In Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

following a decison by ABP they can start when ever they want, 20 week fit out

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

kooga wrote: »
    permission granted to the newport by ABP

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/244072.htm

Interesting reading - now we know why they started construction then stopped like that. If I were that business owner next door I'd much prefer a bar closing at 00:30 next door than Mangan's nightclub!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

Interesting document alright, decision seems reasonable though.

Surprised that a 20 week fit-out will be required after 4 weeks work already considering there was a similar use business there before. Looks like it will be August 2015 before it opens at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just read it there, a shoe shop owner ffs.

Its pretty short sighted to complain about the disruption to business the construction will cause while ignoring the fact this super pub will bring a lot of footfall to your business when its completed.

Also comical to suggest the congregation of people outside the pub will be bad for business considering the square facing there shop is full of homeless, junkies and gothic kids. :rolleyes:

Glad they got this BS sorted.

CHealy wrote: »
    As per Irish Public Housing laws I'd imagine. If they wish to apply for a late opening licence I'm sure that's available to them.

Yep available to any publican for the lovely sum of €410 per night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Game on. This development was held up by a shoe shop owner for too long.
    Bit cheeky of them! One of the objections being on the basis that the pub might interfere with alterations they may or may not wish to make at some time in the future.

Interesting document alright, decision seems reasonable though.

Surprised that a 20 week fit-out will be required after 4 weeks work already considering there was a similar use business there before. Looks like it will be August 2015 before it opens at this rate.

20 weeks sounds about right, its the Newport and Mangans, its a huge complex like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Would it of been cheaper to buy out the shoe shop?
    Tis great to see it going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Not suggesting that this is the case here, but it wouldn't be unknown for a vested interest to object to competition through an unrelated third party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

It seems like a strange complaint, but at least the council had sense, they basically it was a pub before and now it will be a different pub, what did the shoe shop owner want I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

How much would this objection have cost the little old woman who lives in a shoe I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

Could the pubs of Cork been bank rolling this "objection" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

The_Banker wrote: »

With my tin foil hat on that seems the most likely. Buying the vitners a bit more time too come up with a decent objection

i see on another post, Fingal CC have granted permission for wetherspoons in the former pub light in blanchardstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The_Banker wrote: »

While I have no knowledge or evidence to support it, I seriously suspect this to be the case.

We have lift off

ZllEfTm.jpg

Any news on the douglas one?

MrMac84 wrote: »

Barry's, John O Sulllivans, all of them will fight that tooth and nail. Opening up in a suburb will be a lot tougher I'd imagine, local council people will cause hassle.

rob316 wrote: »
    Barry's, John O Sulllivans, all of them will fight that tooth and nail. Opening up in a suburb will be a lot tougher I'd imagine, local council people will cause hassle.

Sure how can they fight it? "Their going too be cheaper then us??" Hardly grounds too object

Sure how can they fight it? "Their going too be cheaper then us??" Hardly grounds too object

Local councillors etc will do there best to put the brakes on it IMO. They will cause ruin to the Douglas cartel like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I was in the one in Dun Laoighre recently. It would be great to have something like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

Work has been ramped up the newest link in the JD Wetherspoon’s chain in Careys Lane.
    Walls, cladding, flooring and fittings are being removed ahead of a large–scale remodelling of the extensive site, which also housed Mangan’s Nightclub. The current phase of works, which involves a large team of local builders and is focusing on demolition and the remodelling of the internal space, will be complete within two weeks.
    The project, which will be ongoing through July, will see the building completely transformed, with the interior split–level of the old nightclub divided into two floor to provide space for two bars, going back from the Paul Street façade of the former Newport Lounge, and a kitchen. The current Mangans gable, widely considered to be an eyesore and defaced with graffiti, will be clad to integrate it more with the historic look and feel of Carey’s Lane, which is part of Cork’s renowned Huguenot Quarter.

the douglas application is gone out for a request for further information, the applicant has two months left to submit their reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

rob316 wrote: »
    Local councillors etc will do there best to put the brakes on it IMO. They will cause ruin to the Douglas cartel like.

that's exactly what it is, a cartel. Even if Wetherspoons open in Douglas there is more than enough business around for the existing pubs to continue to make a profit, they just might have to actually work a bit harder and begin to offer value for money..shock horror :eek:

kooga wrote: »
    the douglas application is gone out for a request for further information, the applicant has two months left to submit their reply.

Very good. Be great too see these get the go ahead and bring prices in Douglas down a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Won't happen in a million years, not in Douglas anyway.

Can't wait for the Paul Street venue to open. €5.20 I paid for a pint last Saturday afternoon from the Electric. I know its known as an expensive place but how can they justify those prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I know its known as an expensive place but how can they justify those prices.
    Cause people pay it?
    Not knocking you, just about all of us pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Can't wait for the Paul Street venue to open. €5.20 I paid for a pint last Saturday afternoon from the Electric. I know its known as an expensive place but how can they justify those prices.

You and many many others paid it...therefore justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I suppose the thing about pub prices is that consumers are expected to go in, order blind and hand over a tenner or a twenty without knowing the prices. In a shop or a restaurant, they have them displayed on the shelves or on the door/menu. Many have it online as well, so you can get an idea of what you'll be paying ever before you enter the place. Pubs like the Franciscan Well and Bierhaus are very informative in terms of their products, with menus/chalkboards displaying the type of beer, abv and price. Wetherspoons will be good as well, with their menus in the pub and online. The majority of pubs don't do this, however. They know that the consumer with ten others behind him in the queue won't ask "What's the price of this tap? And this one? And this one?". They'll just feel under pressure and order a beer without knowing the price.

Lack of consumer information is probably my biggest gripe with the pubs. Charging high prices for drinks is one thing. Their value can be debated. But not having the prices of your products clearly displayed is simply unacceptable, in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Im sick of it anyway, I was in the Vicarstown Friday, €5.30 for a pint of their own red ale. I'm not rich or poor but the price of the pint is starting to take the enjoyment out of it for me.
    I'll happily drink away there on a Friday or Saturday and have a chat with my mates, off with them if they want to go somewhere with an atmosphere then. Me and my 1/2 price pints will have no probably not been "cool" :D

Advertisement