Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons In Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What a lot of people don't realise is that JDW play a huge part in supporting local craft breweries wherever they open. Sober Lane has never been known for stocking Irish craft beers.

Most people bashing JDW don't realise this.
    They are not just purveyors of cheap beer, the also sell a lot of cheap, high quality local beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Theres even a section on their website where you can apply to be a supplier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

So multi million pound industry JDW are now the good guys?

I like Sober Lane. It does have a good atmosphere in there and Ernest did roll up his sleeves at the start. When he took it over I remember going in and it was as dead as its previous incarnation - The Office. Between good offers, decent music and nice food, he has made it probably Corks busiest pub.

Id far prefer see the likes of him and Benny etc thrive than some faceless franchise do well. I am not against JDW coming in, quite the opposite in fact, but if it causes other places owned locally to shut their doors then I am against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

gimmick wrote: »
    So multi million pound industry JDW are now the good guys?

I like Sober Lane. It does have a good atmosphere in there and Ernest did roll up his sleeves at the start. When he took it over I remember going in and it was as dead as its previous incarnation - The Office. Between good offers, decent music and nice food, he has made it probably Corks busiest pub.

Id far prefer see the likes of him and Benny etc thrive than some faceless franchise do well. I am not against JDW coming in, quite the opposite in fact, but if it causes other places owned locally to shut their doors then I am against it.

Any chance you might be in support of competitive prices?

Nobody forcing anybody in the door, Looks Sober Lane and the rest are a little afraid that its gonna cut into their massive profits.

Of course I am, thats why I said
    I am not against JDW coming in, quite the opposite in fact

But Id hate to see Cork pubs all becoming JDWs etc for the sake of saving a few quid on a night out.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the Sober Lane post, it has gotten them a crap load more free publicity. They have the whole social media lark down to a tee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Should they be untouchable to criticism / competition?

Of course not, but there's a difference between tripe like 'he doesn't know the meaning of struggle' and a valid criticism.

I'm perfectly free to identify that as pure sour grapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

pwurple wrote: »
    Of course not, but there's a difference between tripe like 'he doesn't know the meaning of struggle' and a valid criticism.

I'm perfectly free to identify that as pure sour grapes.

I don't have any sour grapes, I run a moderately successful local business with another person myself and have really struggled through the recession and hard times. We lost about 70% of our trade at one stage.
    I just think the larger pubs have had it a lot easier than retail businesses that have been torn apart by competition locally, nationally, online and multinational retail.

There isn't much price competition for the pub trade per say as they all charge the same. Its more customers preference wins out.
    Ernest has built a fine collection of establishments over the years and yes he built up that kip the office into sober lane which is one of the busiest places in town.

The average working man has been priced out of going out for a drink in the city centre for some time now, places like Wetherspoon's will open that market back up.
    Who knows it could have zero effect here or have the pubs slashing prices, I don't know.
    What I took exception to was SB's attitude on facebook, real childish and unprofessional response's to mostly well laid out points.

I'm not a fan of Wetherspoons but I'm even less of a fan of pints over €5.

This is the fella from Idaho Café then giving out about chains. This will be the same guy complaining about the empty units in the city and how run down it looks.

1. Richard Jacob idahocafe
    2. @simoncoveney Investment is always welcome...... My concern is to maintain Cork's name as a City of variety and history ... Talk soon
    1. GE2011_photo_small_normal.jpg Simon Coveney @simoncoveney
    Follow
    @idahocafe u make a fair point - unique Locally owned cafés r what gives a food city real Character and personality
    9:19 PM - 9 Jan 2015

7 Retweets 9 favorites
    " Variety and history" - give me a break ffs its your bottom line you care about.

I couldnt be bothered trawling through the replies on FB, but what was said by Sober lane in the responses?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

rob316 wrote: »

" Variety and history" - give me a break ffs its your bottom line you care about.

'Variety' I can understand, but 'history'? Would probably get it if his business had been around for the last 50 years.

TBF none of them are running charities, either make a profit (or at least break even) or go out of business.

• Advertisement

'Variety' I can understand, but 'history'? Would probably get it if his business had been around for the last 50 years.

TBF none of them are running charities, either make a profit (or at least break even) or go out of business.

You own a business you get up in the morning to make money, sure some trades can benefit people and the world but end of the day its all about the dollar. I fcuking hate when businesses use this bull**** to hid behind and come across holier than thou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I don't have any sour grapes, I run a moderately successful local business with another person myself and have really struggled through the recession and hard times. We lost about 70% of our trade at one stage.
    I just think the larger pubs have had it a lot easier than retail businesses that have been torn apart by competition locally, nationally, online and multinational retail.

There isn't much price competition for the pub trade per say as they all charge the same. Its more customers preference wins out.
    Ernest has built a fine collection of establishments over the years and yes he built up that kip the office into sober lane which is one of the busiest places in town.
    Even if he had it easier during the recession as a bigger establishment, it's because the work, planning, investment and risk was put in over several years to make it be robust with a huge customer-base. Sober lane didn't fall out of the sky all neatly packaged ready to run... which is what you were saying.
    What I took exception to was SB's attitude on facebook, real childish and unprofessional response's to mostly well laid out points.

I'm not a fan of Wetherspoons but I'm even less of a fan of pints over €5.
    I agree with you here, I already said it was badly worded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

So anyone know the opening date
    Looking at the menu and cider at €2.95 lools appealing

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/irish_menu.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

gimmick wrote: »
    Of course I am, thats why I said

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the Sober Lane post, it has gotten them a crap load more free publicity. They have the whole social media lark down to a tee.

Publicity doesn't guarantee people will spend their money in there though ...

Speaking personally, I think the vast majority will go wherever they are getting the best value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

kingtut wrote: »
    Publicity doesn't guarantee people will spend their money in there though ...

Speaking personally, I think the vast majority will go wherever they are getting the best value for money.

Some people are very easily led. Maybe it's an Irish thing to give out stink about the cost of drink in a place and still go in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭nuts86

I personally will be staying away from Wetherspoons at the beginning, low prices and the location of it will draw a rough crowd to begin with, they will have to have some very good door staff, i dunno will they hire local people for this or not, hopefully they do.

As regards Sober Lane, anytime i've been in there I have enjoyed myself and even though I have felt the price of a pint was cheeky, I didnt mind paying it for the experience you get in there... ie good music, free table quiz, flip a coin and of course very reasonably priced, good quality food

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

nuts86 wrote: »
    I personally will be staying away from Wetherspoons at the beginning, low prices and the location of it will draw a rough crowd to begin with, they will have to have some very good door staff, i dunno will they hire local people for this or not, hopefully they do.

How very judgmental of you. So anyone that wants to not be ripped off for a pint is now some sort of thug?

I think its your type that Wetherspoons should be wary about. Get down from the top of your nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

As regards Sober Lane, anytime i've been in there I have enjoyed myself and even though I have felt the price of a pint was cheeky, I didnt mind paying it for the experience you get in there... ie good music, free table quiz, flip a coin and of course very reasonably priced, good quality food

What ARE you on about??

Obviously, you've never been to a Wetherspoon's huh? IME, it draws a decent office crowd for both the lunchtime and the early evening. The proposed location in town would be ideal for that, wouldn't you say?

Oh - and in the evening, they DO have door staff. Again, they're licenced (as is the law here as well as in the UK I believe). Whether they're local or not is irrelevant IMO.

So - you're moaning about the prices in Sober Lane as they're 'cheeky', but don't want to go to the Wetherspoon's either in case the wrong people get in and the doormen aren't local.

You need to make up your mind what you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Jesus, wait until the place is open at least.

wetherspoon never had a thug element in the uk, door staff are spot on and very courteous, i think the same will apply here.
    one of my locals for a while was a wetherspoon, barking dog, they did pints for a pound on a monday till 7pm, this was great for the local pensioners, and handy for a couple on the way home from work, never any trouble
    give the place a chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Sober Lane has done some job in jumping on bandwagon and giving itself a boost. Great place to watch a match whilst listening to blaring music instead of commentary during Spain Holland in the world cup. Great. Never dawned the doors since. Sacrilege.

Deco99 wrote: »
    Sober Lane has done some job in jumping on bandwagon and giving itself a boost. Great place to watch a match whilst listening to blaring music instead of commentary during Spain Holland in the world cup. Great. Never dawned the doors since. Sacrilege.

Liverpool and united on the box in there the last time I was there couldn't enjoy it with that pat fitz playing in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Liverpool and united on the box in there the last time I was there couldn't enjoy it with that pat fitz playing in the corner.

Jumping on the tables no doubt and creating general hilarity... Vom...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Just back from London and had a few pints in wether spoons in Greenwich last nite, a mixed crowd of the all day drinkers students office workers my group a few cadets from the naval college all having a few drinks bite to eat minding their own business. Had a few guest ales and a round of three pints was £5.97. Will post up a pdf of the price list tomorrow.

kooga wrote: »
    Just back from London and had a few pints in wether spoons in Greenwich last nite, a mixed crowd of the all day drinkers students office workers my group a few cadets from the naval college all having a few drinks bite to eat minding their own business. Had a few guest ales and a round of three pints was £5.97. Will post up a pdf of the price list tomorrow.

i have posted a link to the irish prices on here already, we wont be getting uk prices sadly but still good prices for a city bar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

i have posted a link to the irish prices on here already, we wont be getting uk prices sadly but still good prices for a city bar

I think I'll make that price list my new screen saver :D

thats the old price list.

Here's the new one for The Three Tun Tavern, http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/ThreeTunTavernDec14.pdf

Not a single ****e beer on it, the Heineken and Bud drinks wont be pleased, except me, a decent "craft" beer for not €6 a pint I'm all over that:D

You can get a burger and glass of wine for €8.95, if you took a €3.95 glass of wine you are getting the burger for just €5:eek:

I doubt the food will be as good as sober lane but that is serious value, that's McDonalds prices.

Here's the new one for The Three Tun Tavern, http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/ThreeTunTavernDec14.pdf

Not a single ****e beer on it, the Heineken and Bud drinks wont be pleased, except me, a decent "craft" beer for not €6 a pint I'm all over that:D

You can get a burger and glass of wine for €8.95, if you took a €3.95 glass of wine you are getting the burger for just €5:eek:

I doubt the food will be as good as sober lane but that is serious value, that's McDonalds prices.

thats dec 14 but with fosters and beamish now back in the fold......there should be a revised one. Anyway going to scan in the greenwich one wetherspoons now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Tom Creans Lager...thats a nice beer, have it in Kerry whenever Im there
    Also a nice price

Advertisement