Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons In Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

In case anyone didn't spot it, there was a notice in the paper during the week that they're after applying for permission to open in the old Bank of Ireland in Douglas - across the road from Barry's.
    Change of use of the former bank building (incorporating modifications permitted under 10/5227 PL 04.237720) to licensed premises. The proposed development includes the infill at ground floor level of existing vehicular access route at the northern site boundary (c.175m2) to provide additional accommodation including bar and food servery, wash up and ancillary office accommodation and WC; internal modifications including the provision of ladies and gents WC, and staff room at ground floor level, kitchen/storage at first floor level; the construction of a beer garden (c.133m2) to rear at ground floor level is also proposed; modifications to the front and side elevations incorporating elevation treatment finishes, fenestration alterations, new openings and replacement signage. A screened plant area (c.1.5m in height) is located at rear on roof of single storey extension. No customer or staff car parking is provided but vehicular access to the existing car park serving adjacent office building is maintained via existing southern access point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Opening in Douglas would really shake things up for the current rip off pubs, especially Barry's and John O's, they could do with a bit of competition to bring down their extortionate prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ya I saw that the other day, excellent for douglas. Barry ' s, o sullivans and east village charge as much for a pint as anywhere in the city centre.
    Opening one of these in a Suburb will cause alot more worry for publicans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Are they still opening in town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Are they still opening in town?

January or February I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

douglas happy days.............

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Name of Cork outlet now listed on www.jdwetherspoon.ie

The Linen Weaver

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Big Whiskey

Where has the new one in Cork been mooted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

the former Newport bar opposite paul street car park

plus an application for one in douglas in the old tsb has been lodged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Geuze wrote: »

Those drink prices are ridiculous . The craft beer bottle prices are cheaper than some off licences.

The food is more expensive than I imagined though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

That's a great menu. Looking forward to it opening in Douglas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Footoo wrote: »
    Those drink prices are ridiculous . The craft beer bottle prices are cheaper than some off licences.

The food is more expensive than I imagined though.

i'd imagine if competing with all the pubs in Douglas will keep their prices low, then competing with all the food places in Douglas means they will lower their food prices there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Whatever you think about the place in regards to atmosphere and that, I'm delighted they are finally opening in Ireland. It is what it is and I'd love to see the faces of those in the Vinters Assosition when they read that menu. It will hopefully shake up the rest of them to stop charging ridiculous prices for crap beer.

Was up in Belfast a few months ago and got a big Ulster Fry and a pint of Stella for 6 pounds, it was absolutely fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Not sure I would eat the food there, you,l need to know where it come from 1st, cheap drink, its about time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Footoo wrote: »

less of a testament to low prices in Wehterspoons and more of a blatant rip off on behalf of off licences. The word 'craft' can be very expensive ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

farmerjj wrote: »
    Not sure I would eat the food there, you,l need to know where it come from 1st, cheap drink, its about time.

From the menu....

USE IRISH BEEF IN OUR CHILLI CON CARNE,
    LASAGNE AND BEEF & STOUT PIE
    • ALL OF OUR BURGERS CONTAIN 100% IRISH BEEF
    • ALL OF OUR STEAKS COME FROM IRELAND
    • WE USE BANDON VALE CHEDDAR CHEESE, RIVERVIEW
    FREE-RANGE SHELL EGGS, LOUGHNANES PORK SAUSAGES,
    McCARREN BACK BACON, WHOLESOME FARMS MILK,
    GLENOWN ICE CREAM AND IRWIN’S WHEATEN BREAD

About time someone disrupted the Pubs like the way Aldi/Lidl did with grocery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Wetherspoons coming to Cork is a very good thing imo. I reckon they'll clean up over here. Having lived in the UK I have seen the effect they have in kicking overpriced pubs into touch. Sure, the food isn't exactly gourmet but you wouldn't expect it to be at the price point! Plus, in general everyone knows what they're getting. I would often go for breakfast there ahead of going to a Saturday afternoon rugby game - it was £6 for their large full English and a pint. You can't go wrong for that.
    57568276.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i'd imagine if competing with all the pubs in Douglas will keep their prices low, then competing with all the food places in Douglas means they will lower their food prices there.

Not going to happen in any significant way. Wetherspoon's essentially serve ready meals - everything is made in bulk, frozen and just reheated. That's why it's so cheap, because they don't need kitchens or chefs or much equipment. Anywhere with a proper kitchen, chefs, prep team etc isn't going to drop its prices to compete with Wetherspoons any more than they dropped their prices to compete with McDonalds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Faith wrote: »
    Not going to happen in any significant way. Wetherspoon's essentially serve ready meals - everything is made in bulk, frozen and just reheated. That's why it's so cheap, because they don't need kitchens or chefs or much equipment. Anywhere with a proper kitchen, chefs, prep team etc isn't going to drop its prices to compete with Wetherspoons any more than they dropped their prices to compete with McDonalds.

Their menu states that burgers are never frozen?

http://fft.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Final-ROI-Menu_Page_1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

sozbox wrote: »
    Their menu states that nothing is ever frozen?

http://fft.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Final-ROI-Menu_Page_1.jpg

No, because the meals are cook-chilled. Wetherspoon's is OK for a drink and a feed, but don't expect gourmet meals.

Don't think anyone is expecting gourmet, the fair comparison is to other pub grub right? The poster above stated all the food is frozen but didn't provide any reason for this conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

its not just McDonalds or Eco's in douglas either? there are a lot of in-between places to eat/drink, including the pub food you get in douglas (which is also cook-chilled in the same manner). which means they may lower price's here to compete with these, since douglas is over run with eateries the competition will be fierce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Time will tell but imo I think most if not all of the pubs around Douglas will have to drop the prices of both their food and drink due to Wetherspoons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

hoodwinked wrote: »
    its not just McDonalds or Eco's in douglas either? there are a lot of in-between places to eat/drink, including the pub food you get in douglas (which is also cook-chilled in the same manner). which means they may lower price's here to compete with these, since douglas is over run with eateries the competition will be fierce.

The likes of johnos and the East village will most certainly be worried!! Too compare Witherspoons too MacD's is laughable really!

Whilst Witherspoons may not hold a crowd all night IF they have no music etc, you can be sure it'll be jammer a untill 12 o clock

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I may well be wrong then. Time will tell.

I may well be wrong then. Time will tell.

You have given me a craving for McDonalds though!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

food prices are ridiculous don't see any bargains there plus the beer is ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

ROY RACE wrote: »

Where, McDonalds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

less of a testament to low prices in Wehterspoons and more of a blatant rip off on behalf of off licences. The word 'craft' can be very expensive ;)

That's just a lazy generalisation, which can be disputed with a small bit of research. Tesco sell O'Hara's stout and red ale at about €1.80 a (500ml) bottle, which is a good bit cheaper than their Heineken (€3 for a 650ml bottle, so the equivalent of €2.30 for 500ml). Their pale ale and chocolate stout is about €2.50, so about the same as the Heineken, Guinness, Smithwicks etc. Their Douple IPA is about €3.30 a bottle, but that's 7.5%, so alcohol-wise, it's also better value.

Aldi sell O'Shea's pale, red and golden ale and stout for €2, so pretty much the same as the big brands.

The word "premium" can be very expensive, too. Just look at pints of Heineken and Guinness going for €5+ a pint in town and suburbs like Douglas.

ROY RACE wrote: »

Yeah, that's very true of the average, "traditional" Irish pub. Thankfully Wetherspoons will come in and offer a wide variety of some very decent beer.

Advertisement