Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons In Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Cape Clear wrote: »
    oh now wouldn't that be something? I may just have to stop taking the car to Turners Cross when CCFC play!

yep, I can see some messy scenes around the Cross on match day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

There is a new sergeant around the Turners Cross area who will object to Wetherspoons completely. He is one of these pioneer alcohol is evil types. I have on good authority he told the Horseshoe that he could not do his 3 pints for €11 deal until after 10.30pm match nights. If he did, he was told things will get difficult.

So cheap booze as standard will not fly with him. Whether or not he has the power to make sure it doesn't happen I do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

gimmick wrote: »
    There is a new sergeant around the Turners Cross area who will object to Wetherspoons completely. He is one of these pioneer alcohol is evil types. I have on good authority he told the Horseshoe that he could not do his 3 pints for €11 deal until after 10.30pm match nights. If he did, he was told things will get difficult.

So cheap booze as standard will not fly with him. Whether or not he has the power to make sure it doesn't happen I do not know.

Correct on all counts. Barman in the Beergarden actually said if he had his way all the pubs around the area would be closed before games. Can't be serving beer to those throngs of football hooligans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

It's easy too intimidate locals. Won't be so easy with a big multi national (faceless) company

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

ofcork wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but seeing as one place is opening the boardwalk is closing soon.

They closed last Saturday

• Advertisement

MrMac84 wrote: »
    It's easy too intimidate locals. Won't be so easy with a big multi national (faceless) company

Im talking from the point of view of them getting the go ahead. If the Gardai object to their license that could be that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

gimmick wrote: »
    Im talking from the point of view of them getting the go ahead. If the Gardai object to their license that could be that.

I understand. But we'll just have too see how this plays out Cuz it's not encouraging binge drinking or anything when the prices are set 24/7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Judes wrote: »
    Apparently when they designed the All Bar One Bars it was to make women feel less intimidated and more comfortable as they were big, bright and airy. And I suppose they thought where women flock to, men will follow?!*

LOL! When I read that part 1st, I had to wonder who "they" referred to - women or the pubs? Then I wondered if you'd forgotten an apostrophe:

"as they (Women?) were big, bright and 'airy."

That's an awful thing to say about women!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

"Blindsider" you gave me a giggle too - methinx I should have put in a little more punctuation :D Nice big, bright, airy - BARS - the patrons, on the other hand, were every shape and size ..................

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Was told last night witherspoons in talks over the turners cross tavern

Funnily when I passed that a few weeks ago, the thought occurred to me that it would be a perfect spot for a wetherspoons. Wouldn't even need much work to get up and running like their other cork locations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ludo wrote: »
    Funnily when I passed that a few weeks ago, the thought occurred to me that it would be a perfect spot for a wetherspoons. Wouldn't even need much work to get up and running like their other cork locations.

Great for a few cheap pints before a City game in the Cross as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,138 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The_Banker wrote: »
    Dont they have subsidised beer in The Dáil?

No, they don't.

They may not make large profits, though.

The_Banker wrote: »
    Will minimum pricing apply to the Dáil bar? Doubt it.

The proposed MUP minimum unit pricing will have no effect on pub prices at all.

Just off-licence prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

this page getting a few likes over the last few days https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wetherspoons-Cork/718587034922781

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

this page getting a few likes over the last few days https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wetherspoons-Cork/718587034922781

Is that a genuine page? I suspect not.

Not a genuine page.

That is not an official JD WS Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ya definitely not,
    funny though
    10264322_718864688228349_6375868987881068456_n.jpg?oh=35c173d4e5af371d410e6b1abe5ecf04&oe=5567E9C5&__gda__=1431041260_61baec2ac788278b85b12fc872c4b954

Wetherspoons Cork

31 January at 17:51 · Edited ·

Holy cow,a pub in Cork not naming names is selling a beer we will be selling for €2.70 they are charging €5. ‪#‎crazyprices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ktc99

I face palmed when I read the statuses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

permission granted to the newport by ABP

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/244072.htm

• Advertisement

I take it this will go ahead baring a judicial review?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

I take it this will go ahead baring a judicial review?

u bet ya, c'mas party booked

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭out da lough

The planning decision says they have to close at 12:30 AM on thursday friday and saturday nights

The planning decision says they have to close at 12:30 AM on thursday friday and saturday nights

As per Irish Public Housing laws I'd imagine. If they wish to apply for a late opening licence I'm sure that's available to them.

It would be great to see the licensing laws changed to facilitate late night opening. Also hopefully this pub will open just before the minimum unit pricing for alcohol becomes law, meaning that city centre pubs will still have real price competition, if not from supermarkets, then from lower priced outlets such as this.

€5.50 for a pint of lager in the city centre is just waaay too expensive. If the opening of this pub creates some competitive tension it may encourage some of the local chains to reduce their prices. They are currently way out of sync with the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I just wish they'd drop the stupidly restricted licencing laws. They just encourage bringing and social disorder at closing time. Longer opening would let things fizzle out at night rather than encourage brawls.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

Does anyone know when this is likely to open? There were builders/workmen on site before christmas so hopefully it is already fitted out. Anyone have any insider knowledge?

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I just wish they'd drop the stupidly restricted licencing laws. They just encourage bringing and social disorder at closing time. Longer opening would let things fizzle out at night rather than encourage brawls.

Im told there is a sitting district court judge who will not allow any easing of the opening times in his lifetime. A total alcohol is evil pioneer type.

• Advertisement

Game on. This development was held up by a shoe shop owner for too long.

Advertisement