Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons In Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

For your information, here is a selection of prices from Wetherspoon Enniskillen, based on a visit during April 2014.

All prices in stg.

Draught beer

Guinness 265

Carlsberg 3.8% 205
    Stella 299
    Heineken 5.0% 269

Ruddles ale 175
    Abbot ale 5.0% 215
    Adnam's Broadside 210
    Sharp's Doom Bar 225

Spirits

Gin = 2.20 with free tonic, 4 choices - this seems very good value

Bells = 250
    Malts = 305 - 3 choices
    Jameson = 325

Double spirit, 70ml according to menu, for 1.00 extra

So for 3.20 you get a double gin and tonic, that's under 4 euro - unreal value

A double Jameson is 4.25, that's under 5.50 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭.red.

You dont just convert ££ to €€ to find out what prices they will be. Shorts in the uk are a different size to us. Ours are bigger, somewhere between a single and a double in the uk i think. I presume wetherspoons will have to pour them to our usual units.
    Also vat and all other sorts of charges are different
    Most importantly, most retailers have a "because we can" tax on products when selling in the republic.

.red. wrote: »
    You dont just convert ££ to €€ to find out what prices they will be. Shorts in the uk are a different size to us. Ours are bigger, somewhere between a single and a double in the uk i think. I presume wetherspoons will have to pour them to our usual units.
    Also vat and all other sorts of charges are different
    Most importantly, most retailers have a "because we can" tax on products when selling in the republic.

I was clear that these are GBP prices.

Shots in NI are the same as RoI, 35ml. The menu specifically states this.

Yes, VAT here is 23% versus 20% in the UK.

VAT on food is lower here at 9% than in the UK, at 20%.

Beer excise duty is fairly similar.

But, yes, wages and overheads are higher here, of course.

If I get time, I will try to adjust for these costs and estimate possible selling prices in RoI.

Or maybe somebody else might have a go at that exercise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

There is still no sign of this new pub appearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

kcb wrote: »
    There is still no sign of this new pub appearing?

Planning permission notice is up on the door at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Passed the Newport site earlier looked like work started. Construction boarding gone up around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

rob316 wrote: »
    Passed the Newport site earlier looked like work started. Construction boarding gone up around it.

About time really; I was sure it'd be open by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I've been to the one that opened recently in Blackrock (Dublin) twice and I must say it's not too bad.

You get what you pay for and also for someone like me who goes to the pub to chat without having to shout over the television / loud music it's perfect.

kingtut wrote: »
    I've been to the one that opened recently in Blackrock (Dublin) twice and I must say it's not too bad.

You get what you pay for and also for someone like me who goes to the pub to chat without having to shout over the television / loud music it's perfect.

Ya I was in Dublin yesterday and was passing so popped in, I just had a coke (driving) while I read some emails but it was a nice pub, much nicer than other wetherspoons I had been in England. Will be a good addition to the pub scene in Cork, offers something a bit different. Few people were eating around me and the food looked decent enough.

A family were sitting near me who obviously came into eat, they saw the menu on the table but spent about 10 mins waiting for someone to take there order, I told them you need to go up and order your food and pay, there isn't any waitress/waiter to take your order. They couldn't understand it the concept was a bit alien to them. For anyone who hasn't been in one of these pubs before that really needs to be pointed out better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

rob316 wrote: »
    Ya I was in Dublin yesterday and was passing so popped in, I just had a coke (driving) while I read some emails but it was a nice pub, much nicer than other wetherspoons I had been in England. Will be a good addition to the pub scene in Cork, offers something a bit different. Few people were eating around me and the food looked decent enough.

A family were sitting near me who obviously came into eat, they saw the menu on the table but spent about 10 mins waiting for someone to take there order, I told them you need to go up and order your food and pay, there isn't any waitress/waiter to take your order. They couldn't understand it the concept was a bit alien to them. For anyone who hasn't been in one of these pubs before that really needs to be pointed out better.

Ye they have a "curry club" on Thursdays which I went to the last 2 weeks, curry (with a naan, popadoms and rice) and a pint for €10.

I would say the only bad things are that the staff seem very nervous and can be incredibly slow (they all look too young to work in a bar if I'm honest) but sure we all had to start somewhere.

I agree that the whole order food at the bar thing should be pointed out better (it is mentioned on the menu that you have to do it) although it's not all that obvious and not something that you typically expect to have to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Think this will be a great addition to the area. The Newport has well and truly had it's day. Looking forward to trying it out something different :)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

hear one opening in briar rose douglas ? maybe / maybe not hit the google and there is a briar rose in the uk ..
    i know the former newport is opening...but no idea when

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/
    this page has a link to the menu and shows prices
    Heineken 4.75
    dinner and a pint for from 9.95
    i will give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

hear one opening in briar rose douglas ? maybe / maybe not hit the google and there is a briar rose in the uk ..
    i know the former newport is opening...but no idea when

Lot of construction work starting in the Newport yesterday, so must be opening relatively soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Anyone know why work was stopped on the place today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

54kroc wrote: »
    Anyone know why work was stopped on the place today?

A few issues with planning certs and necessary documents, ten weeks delay now before unless someone fast tracks the applications issues.

Don't know the details.

Dead right not to stock Diageo products, paying 20% higher here than in the UK is taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Pigs with their noses in the trough. When are the big companies going to realise that Irish consumers are no longer willing or able to pay the inflated prices they charge? :mad: No wonder the pub trade is dying...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Pigs with their noses in the trough. When are the big companies going to realise that Irish consumers are no longer willing or able to pay the inflated prices they charge? :mad: No wonder the pub trade is dying...

plenty of people willing to pay €5+ for a pint, check out town on a Friday or Saturday night. Now I agree with you, the greed on behalf of these companies is unreal (publicans included) but there are still plenty of people tolerating it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I know people like to think big multinational drink companies are evil and greedy but surely most of the greed is with the pubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Mostly younger people though. Personally, I prefer to drink at home. Not too fond of Wetherspoon's either if I'm honest, but the pub trade is dying off, which is a great shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

Geuze wrote: »

Anyone understand why there would be such big planning issues? It was a pub before and it's goin to be a pub again- cork city council being a nightmare for businesses as usual.

Dave47 wrote: »
    Anyone understand why there would be such big planning issues? It was a pub before and it's goin to be a pub again- cork city council being a nightmare for businesses as usual.

Big planning issue? Where are you getting that from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Big planning issue? Where are you getting that from?

work has stopped on site due to planning issues. It's also mentioned in the article linked in the post above yours.

work has stopped on site due to planning issues. It's also mentioned in the article linked in the post above yours.

It is not understood to be big planning issues, more technicalities and formalities. In a local radio interview the head of Wetherspoons in Ireland, said he asked the City Council if there was anything else they needed, they replied no and then as the stripe out work was completed they came back and said actually we do need a few more documents.

The company having built 400 pubs already in many different counties envisioned no situation or document requirement that they don't have or can't produce.

As of yesterday, they are no suspicions of any major planning issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

a 10 week delay to work is a pretty large planning issue! that might be more down to the slow bureaucracy in Ireland, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i hope they being in plenty of UK brewery stuff, might bring the "craft" beer prices down

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

a 10 week delay to work is a pretty large planning issue! that might be more down to the slow bureaucracy in Ireland, but still.

yea that's what I meant as opposed to anything else- it's well known dealing with the council atm is a nightmare- 10 weeks is ridiculous alright, had no idea it was that long.

• Advertisement

Someone in the City Hall doesn't want them opening before Christmas how else can you say they said we didn't need any other paperwork and now all of a sudden they do, bang 10 week work stoppage. With Christmas been such a busy time for the pub trade, it makes sense.
    The landlords around the city are terrified what Wetherspoons will do to there business.

Advertisement