Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Connect

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Hope they sort out players with this and UK epg!!!!! My TG4 player hasn't worked in ages either!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

peking97 wrote: »
    Is there any particular recommendation as regards HDD for use with this box?

I don't have a recommendation but this post from the Tiviar AlphaPlus thread discusses AV compatible HDDs.
    WD and Seagate manufacture dedicated AV HDDs according to the thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108654131#post108654131

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Got another email from the beta team asking to test the new software version so it should be rolled out within the week (for beta users)

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭corm500

Treviso wrote: »
    Got another email from the beta team asking to test the new software version so it should be rolled out within the week (for beta users)

Same here, it also says that the update will wipe my hard drive. I got loads on it that I need to watch fast :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭JDxtra

corm500 wrote: »
    Same here, it also says that the update will wipe my hard drive. I got loads on it that I need to watch fast :D

Updates really should not wipe external hard drives. But this is Saorview we are talking about so to be safe, plug out the hard drive, do the update, plug back in the drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭patsryan

So I have noticed that multiple improvements have been made to the SVC software as of the latest beta update which improves the usablity of the box.
    • Timeshift has been implemented (I.E. Rewind LIVE TV).
    • The Now / Next satellite guide is now populated and kept updated.
    • The box for the most part no longer randomly reboots
    • Performance seems to have had a slight increase

The below bugs / improvements could be made

Saorview side

BUG: RTÉ Player does not show all programs that are available on its app

BUG: The 7 day Rollback guide does not show all programs that are available on RTÉ Player / TG4 Player

e.g The Late Late Show never showed up on the rollback guide but is available to watch on RTÉ Player

BUG: Programs on RTÉ Player fail to play after the ads have played. Currently it shows a black screen with a spinning circular symbol before presenting an error to the watcher.

Satellite Side

BUG: The box has randomly rebooted when changing from Satellite mode back to Saorview, although not as frequently as before.

IMPROVEMENT: The ability for the user to create channel groups / favourites that appear in the left hand side bar of the Home menu or when a coloured button is pressed in the Channels List / Guide should be added.

e.g Entertainment, +1, Movies, Sports, Music, News, Movies, Kids etc

BUG: Channels which form part of the default FTA channel organisation that are hidden by the user are un-hidden when an automatic or manual scan is completed by the user.

e.g The user has hidden the channel Really, they then rescan the box to add new channels and discover that the previously hidden channel is now shown.

BUG: Channels which form part of the 50 or so organised FTA channels, whose channel number has been edited by the user, reverts to the default channel number given as part of the default organisation when a rescan is done automatically or manually by the user.

e.g If BBC One NI HD has been set as 101 it should not revert to 1001 when a rescan is done.

IMPROVEMENT: The user should be able to type in a channel number on the edit screen using the buttons on the remote instead of having to scroll through tens / hundreds of numbers to set a channel number to the desired number.

e.g The user wants BBC One NI HD to be set as 101 not 1001, currently the user has to hold the channel Up button until they have the desired channel in the desired slot.

IMPROVEMENT: Hidden channels show on the edit channels screen but should not show on edit screen so as to keep editing as simple and clean as possible.

IMPROVEMENT: There should be an option to export the channel list so that if the box had to be reset one would not have to reorganise the channel list. This would allow a user to import the channel list onto another SVC box if necessary / wanted to do so.

BUG: The following channels don’t appear after doing an automatic or manual scan.

Sony Crime
    Sony Crime + 1

These are FTA channels and are on the below frequency according to Lyngsat.

https://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2E-2F-2G.html

BUG: Encrypted channels are tuned in but should not be as the user is unable to watch encrypted channels.

e.g AMC from BT

BUG: The following channels cannot be decoded for some reason despite being FTA and there frequency / channel number on the transponder not changing recently.

ITV3+1
    ITV4+1

Both Saorview and Satellite

IMPROVEMENT: Improve on-screen animations so that the SVC box appears faster and fluid.

e.g. Changing between Saorview and Satellite mode appears quite slow

BUG: Change the HDD formatting to a common format that can be recognised on a PC / Mac.

IMPROVEMENT: Add the ability for the user to play their own videos / photos via the SVC box.

IMPROVEMENT: Add the ability for users to watch other online content.

Other apps such as Netflix or YouTube could be one way to do this, although adding some casting technology such as Miracast / DLNA / WiDi / Google Cast / Apple AirPlay 2 could be another way to allow users wanting to watch other online content to do so without requiring additional hardware.

Great observations PatsRyan. Have you sent this through to Saorview?

corm500 wrote: »
    Great observations PatsRyan. Have you sent this through to Saorview?

Yes I have

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

BUG: Change the HDD formatting to a common format that can be recognised on a PC / Mac.

What is the format used on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

If it is the same as the Humax Freesat G2 boxes which use similar software then it will be an encrypted Linux partition that is not readable outside of the box it was created on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If it is the same as the Humax Freesat G2 boxes which use similar software then it will be an encrypted Linux partition that is not readable outside of the box it was created on.

The broadcasters insist on this for copyright reasons.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The encryption is generally only used for HD content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The encryption is generally only used for HD content.

Everything is encrypted on the Humax boxes.
    The hts files are encrypted, just like with the HDR. I haven't had a good look at them yet, but they won't play on a PC. This applies both to SD and HD recordings.

https://www.burningimage.net/humaxusb/

Ext4 is used but recordings / hdd are encrypted

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I was about to query the partition encryption, but see from a later post that it is the files that are encrypted.
    patsryan wrote: »
    Ext4 is used but recordings / hdd are encrypted

Thanks ..... ext4.

There is nothing uncommon about ext4.
    If your OS cannot read ext then maybe get software to do it.
    Definitely not a bug in the box that they decided to use this filesystem format.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I'm currently with Virgin Media, and it's an extra €5 for the basic tv package. However, I really don't want to plough through 8 million awful tv channels to get the few I want. However, I have no aerial or satellite dish, nor do I want to put them hanging outside. Can I get Saorview without either of these two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

gaiscioch wrote:
    I'm currently with Virgin Media, and it's an extra €5 for the basic tv package. However, I really don't want to plough through 8 million awful tv channels to get the few I want. However, I have no aerial or satellite dish, nor do I want to put them hanging outside. Can I get Saorview without either of these two?

You'll need an aerial for Saorview. You might get away with one in the attic if you're not far from a transmitter

You will need an aerial and satellite dish to receive both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

This recent update has given the box significant improvements. It is very useable now and could be recommended to anyone. My only issue is the TG4 player doesn't work for me. Is anyone else having this problem? I love a bit of 7lá.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

gaiscioch wrote: »

I have an indoor aerial and it works fine, but channels are limited. Think you need to be within 8-15km of a transmission point.

• Advertisement

Just did the update. For some reason the Saorview channels are now all over the place. rte1hd is channel 1 but Rte2hd is channel 257!!!

I returned my box and got a full refund. Once recording is launched it may no longer be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

I returned my box and got a full refund. Once recording is launched it may no longer be possible.

Just as a matter of interest how long did you have it before returning it?

peking97 wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest how long did you have it before returning it?

Over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

And which retailer refunded you ? Very Important for integrity point of view!!!

Anyone else notice the DXD7025 is no longer listed on the manufacturers website?

https://www.ekt-digital.com/stb-devices/dxd7025

Is new hardware inbound I wonder?

Hibrasil wrote: »
    And which retailer refunded you ? Very Important for integrity point of view!!!

I will pm you just in case it causes any issue for someone returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

You'll need an aerial for Saorview. You might get away with one in the attic if you're not far from a transmitter
    You will need an aerial and satellite dish to receive both.

OK. Thanks. I had hoped that in 2019 I could get a tv digital box of some form that would negate the need for an aerial or satellite. If I want to keep my Virgin Media broadband, is there any aerial or satellite-free alternative tv service to all Virgin's tv stations? (I'm at contract renewal time and Virgin want to charge €150 per year for 50 channels, 45 of which I would never watch but I would have to go through each time to get to the channels I want)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

OK. Thanks. I had hoped that in 2019 I could get a tv digital box of some form that would negate the need for an aerial or satellite. If I want to keep my Virgin Media broadband, is there any aerial or satellite-free alternative tv service to all Virgin's tv stations? (I'm at contract renewal time and Virgin want to charge €150 per year for 50 channels, 45 of which I would never watch but I would have to go through each time to get to the channels I want)

If you're at contract renewal stage, ring up Virgin and tell them it's too expensive and you're leaving. See how long it takes for them to offer you a new discounted rate.

If you're in a Virgin area, chances are you're close enough to a transmitter to pick up Saorview with an indoor aerial. If you want BBC and Channel 4 for free, satellite dish is the only option.

• Advertisement

In fairness €150 a year is very little especially if paid every month.

There is no free way of receiving the English channels unless you get it illegally or overcome geoblocking restrictions.

Even if you overcome the geoblocking restrictions you will only be able to stream with no recording capability.

A satellite dish will give you all of the English channels and a freesat box will give you a full 7 day epg with recording capability. But it will cost a significant initial investment.

Out of interest are you living along the east coast or along the border? If you are you may be able to pick up the English channels through the same saorview aerial. I doubt an indoor aerial would pick them up.

Advertisement