Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Connect

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

In fairness €150 a year is very little especially if paid every month.

There is no free way of receiving the English channels unless you get it illegally or overcome geoblocking restrictions.

Even if you overcome the geoblocking restrictions you will only be able to stream with no recording capability.

A satellite dish will give you all of the English channels and a freesat box will give you a full 7 day epg with recording capability. But it will cost a significant initial investment.

Out of interest are you living along the east coast or along the border? If you are you may be able to pick up the English channels through the same saorview aerial. I doubt an indoor aerial would pick them up.

To clarify, this refers to online. It IS perfectly legal to watch these channels for free on satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 thatwilldopig

Anyone else being using the latest beta.?

Is it right that you can't record a satellite channel and watch another. Everytime I try to record a satellite channel the other channels go blank except for a few. So for example record BBC 1 can still watch BBC 2 but UTV out of action. Still very buggy as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Have you 2 satellite cables attached? Did they enable the 2nd satellite input?

Yep have 2 feeds and no idea if they enabled 2nd input. Presume the upgrade did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Yep have 2 feeds and no idea if they enabled 2nd input. Presume the upgrade did that.

But are your two feeds one for sat and one for terrestrial? You won't be able to record one sat channel and watch another on a different transponder (which is why you can watch some channels only while recording).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Is the TG4 playwriting for anyone on the box?

Is theTG4 player working for anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 grealmax

lsjmhar wrote: »
    Is the TG4 playwriting for anyone on the box?

No,I'm getting an error pop up all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Alpha77

Is timer recording available for the satellite side as only now and next are on EPG.

Alpha77 wrote:
    Is timer recording available for the satellite side as only now and next are on EPG.

Yep. You have to set the time, day and date and it will repeat record. Fine for programmes that repeat at the same time. Not great for those that don't, e.g. Match of the Day!!

• Advertisement

Cheers. Hopefully, the next update will fix it.

Yep. You have to set the time, day and date and it will repeat record. Fine for programmes that repeat at the same time. Not great for those that don't, e.g. Match of the Day!!

Thanks. How do you get into timer record? Is it somewhere in Settings or Guide?

JDxtra wrote: »

But are your two feeds one for sat and one for terrestrial? You won't be able to record one sat channel and watch another on a different transponder (which is why you can watch some channels only while recording).

2 Satellite feeds 1 Saoriew feed...

JDxtra wrote: »

2 Satellite feeds 1 Saoriew feed... Plus if I start a recording on Saoriew all Satellite channels go???

Alpha77 wrote:
    Thanks. How do you get into timer record? Is it somewhere in Settings or Guide?

1. Click home button
    2. Select satellite
    3. Select recordings (you need an external hdd formatted to box)
    4. Select Planned
    5. Move to the right (Set recording arrow on right of screen) - this should open option to record in satellite section.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭patsryan

2 Satellite feeds 1 Saoriew feed... Plus if I start a recording on Saoriew all Satellite channels go???

I noticed this on the previous beta and had logged it as a bug. May bring it up with them again if I can reproduce

I notice the manufacturer has a lot of new android set top boxes. I think these are an interesting product as you can have all your android apps on the tv.

Now tv, rte player, tg4 player, eir sports (possibly) could all be accessed off the 1 remote. Then things like security cameras and other content could also be accessed.

I wonder will this platform become more standard as using a chromecast is a poor user experience with a phone being needed to operate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I notice the manufacturer has a lot of new android set top boxes. I think these are an interesting product as you can have all your android apps on the tv.

Now tv, rte player, tg4 player, eir sports (possibly) could all be accessed off the 1 remote. Then things like security cameras and other content could also be accessed.

I wonder will this platform become more standard as using a chromecast is a poor user experience with a phone being needed to operate it.

I've not seen these boxes, can you link to one.

It needs to be Android TV and not touchscreen Android OS. There's a massive difference in the experience. Android TV is designed from the ground up for use on a large screen with a D-pad remote. Android OS is designed for a touchscreen tablets and phones with clunky fingers.

Several of the USA networks are starting to use Android TV for their set to boxes. It's only starting to become very popular, will be mainstream soon

Go back two pages and you will see the link to the Android tv certified boxes. None seem to have both s2 and t2 functionality though, just s2. 3 or 4 boxes there.

Here is the link actually.
    https://www.ekt-digital.com/stb-devices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Any link to what they have. Thanks

• Advertisement

Sorry no phone the next page didn't show. Thanks for the link

1. Click home button
    2. Select satellite
    3. Select recordings (you need an external hdd formatted to box)
    4. Select Planned
    5. Move to the right (Set recording arrow on right of screen) - this should open option to record in satellite section.

Thanks, I would never have found it there.

Alpha77 wrote:
    Thanks, I would never have found it there.

No problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Go back two pages and you will see the link to the Android tv certified boxes. None seem to have both s2 and t2 functionality though, just s2. 3 or 4 boxes there.

Here is the link actually.
    https://www.ekt-digital.com/stb-devices

Serious amount of boxes!

Very short on memory are they not ?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Somewhat similar boxes work very well with 1GB or 2GB ram ...... not short on memory at all.

Somewhat similar boxes work very well with 1GB or 2GB ram ...... not short on memory at all.

Specs are nothing special, equivalent to a Mibox S which is a very budget Android Tv box. I have one, it's only average, I use it on a 720p kitchen TV, it's definitely not a good enough experience for my main TV. It's sluggish with Kodi and STBemu which really need more than 2GB ram

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Specs are nothing special, equivalent to a Mibox S which is a very budget Android Tv box. I have one, it's only average, I use it on a 720p kitchen TV, it's definitely not a good enough experience for my main TV. It's sluggish with Kodi and STBemu which really need more than 2GB ram

I don't have a 4K need, but do use such quad core ARM boxes to view 1080 Live TV and stored media, without any problems using kodi with Tvheadend and also IPTV Simple plugins.

Thankfully I see no sign of sluggishness like I did when I used R-Pi boards for the same purpose.
    Others use these devices for 4K quite successfully from what I have read.
    I have never used (or seen mention of) STBemu so no idea if that could be adversely affecting your experience.

• Advertisement

STBEmu and Perfect Player are the two most used apps for IPTV streams

Advertisement