Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red button on Saorview

Options
  • 20-02-2016 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Just looking at Schedule for TG4 for Saturday 27th on saorview EPG and it is showing election coverage all day and live Pro 12 Rugby via Saorview Red Button and UPC CH 602 @ 7pm . I think this has to be a first for Saorview and if so fair play to TG4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes I just noticed this now. Perhaps the testing going on with TG4HD the last while has something to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The notice is listed on my Triax combi box now as well. This news sounds very encouraging. :)

I hope this becomes a great feature for Saorview viewers in the future.

Good if it happens. Just to point out though on TG4's own schedule online:

http://www.tg4.ie/en/schedule/

the following info is given re the rugby.
    Live coverage of Connacht v Ospreys from the Sportsground in the 16th round of the PRO12. Available on UPC Red Button and Virgin Channel 602.

Saorview red button not mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

the following info is given re the rugby.

Probably a misprint as virgin /UPC are same thing and I am reading Saorview EPG info

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They are certainly mentioning it on the Saorview EPG

• Advertisement

lertsnim wrote:

Great addition to Saorview of course RTE to backward thinking to use features like that . One thing I am curious about ; does using red button take up more space in mux or not ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

brick man wrote: »
    ... does using red button take up more space in mux or not ?

Course it does, it's just an extra channel/service/whatever. On receivers without MHEG5 'red button' feature, it will have to be selected from the channel list.

does using red button take up more space in mux or not ?

Yes. It will require a separate stream.

Had a look at RTE's online listings. They repeat the info given by TG4, ie the 'UPC red button'.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/listings/television/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This taken from the Saorview What's on page from their website.

https://www.saorview.ie/en/whats-on
    Vóta 2016 - An Comhaireamh
    Beidh torthaí beo agus cuimsitheacha ag TG4 ón gcomhaireamh toghchain ar VÓTA 2016. (Live results from the election count on VÓTA 2016. Host Paidí Ó Lionaird is joined by a panel of experts including Alan Dukes, Mary Coughlan, Éamon Gilmore and Liadh Ní Riada to discuss the results as they come in. Regular summaries of results and trends will be presented by Maolra Mac Donnacha in the studio with a visual representation of how the votes impact the political landscape. Eimear Ní Chonaola will anchor news headlines on the hour, with concise summaries and overviews on events. Live PRO12 rugby available on Saorview Red Button and Virgin/UPC Channel 602 at 19.00)

10:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why have they waited years to use something thst was there from day 1?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Had a look at RTE's online listings. They repeat the info given by TG4, ie the 'UPC red button'.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/listings/television/

Red button is not supported by some Virgin Media platforms - in particular Horizon.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭mike2084

I expect there is no chance this will be made available to satellite viewers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭StreetLight

There was a very brief Red Button test on Saorview in May 2015:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95473513

348742.jpg

348743.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

mike2084 wrote: »
    I expect there is no chance this will be made available to satellite viewers?

Doesn't seem so. Worse than it could be since it appears Welsh TV has passed up this game(S4C is showing under 20s Six Nations, BBC Two Wales repeats)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

icdg wrote: »
    Doesn't seem so. Worse than it could be since it appears Welsh TV has passed up this game(S4C is showing under 20s Six Nations, BBC Two Wales repeats)

I presume S4C is contracted to show Welsh U 20s game and there is no way BBC2W would have rugby clashing with S4C. Also BBC2W's Pro 12 game for this next round of fixtures is Dragons vs Glasgow on Thursday night. I see your point though. For those with satellite only access to TG4 there will be no rugby coverage and I presume TG4 on Freeview in NI will have the election coverage also and not the rugby. With RTE1 having continuous election coverage could TG4 not have given up this slot for the rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

For those with satellite only access to TG4 there will be no rugby coverage and I presume TG4 on Freeview in NI will have the election coverage also and not the rugby. With RTE1 having continuous election coverage could TG4 not have given up this slot for the rugby?

Surely the best thing was to continue the election coverage via the red button and have a break for the game on normal TG4. An onscreen ticker could have popped up if any counts/results were declared during the rugby. Still it's good to at last see use been made of the extra capacity and technology that's available.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If my memory serves me, wasn't it a GREEN button on Saorview they were testing or is my memory failing?

If my memory serves me, wasn't it a GREEN button on Saorview they were testing or is my memory failing?

They used green in the very early days to test the MHEG-5 EPG. I think the recent test on News Now was red.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭khumbu

medoc wrote: »
    Surely the best thing was to continue the election coverage via the red button and have a break for the game on normal TG4. An onscreen ticker could have popped up if any counts/results were declared during the rugby. Still it's good to at last see use been made of the extra capacity and technology that's available.

Maybe the reason that election coverage was not moved to red button is because the election coverage is on regular TG4 saorview in SD & the Rugby will be in HD on red button?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

khumbu wrote: »
    Maybe the reason that election coverage was not moved to red button is because the election coverage is on regular TG4 saorview in SD & the Rugby will be in HD on red button?

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one ! They are fluting around with the last month or so, with "testing" of TG4 HD, even though there is no concrete evidence that the loop of Galway etc that keeps running, is an actual test for TG4 HD, never mind HD via the red button. And forgive my scepticism , but I'll believe the red button coverage when I see it, even in SD, because we all know that the wheels in Saorview turn VERY slowly.

TG4 HD did appear on that channel last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

lertsnim wrote: »

So people are saying and I'll take their word for it, but it must have been a rare sighting, as it hasn't been seen since ! Can't understand the delay. How much testing do they need ?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

galtee boy wrote: »
    So people are saying and I'll take their word for it, but it must have been a rare sighting, as it hasn't been seen since ! Can't understand the delay. How much testing do they need ?
    I totally agree ,it's three or four weeks testing now .If i remember right when RTE1 HD started , there was no testing :rolleyes:

lertsnim wrote:

Would it need ministerial approval like RTE to change ?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Would it need ministerial approval like RTE to change ?
    Sometime next year so for ministerial approval

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

lertsnim wrote: »

Unless the test was for the temporary use of some space just for the Rugby.:) Sure it falls under the testing of the interactive services.

Anyhow whats the Skin you are using. Its very clean.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭mike2084

icdg wrote: »

Yes I noticed that too dosen't look good for satellite viewers

STB. wrote: »
    Unless the test was for the temporary use of some space just for the Rugby.:) Sure it falls under the testing of the interactive services.

Confluence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

STB. wrote: »

If the test was for temporary space for the rugby then it will be on HD which is good for Saorview viewers. Still hope though that TG4 goes HD on Saorview sooner rather than later.

Advertisement