Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

funnily enough the ones i generally come across on footpaths dont look like the easily scared type but who knows what horrors they have endured.

ownership of an electric scooter gives one licence to do as one pleases it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Congrats on your ability to see past traumas with a passing glance. Impressive.

Thanks I appreciate that

They get very close so that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

• Advertisement

I have just teceived an email from Cormac Devlin TD to say the cycle lane is going in on Deansgrange Road.

Only 13 per cent of the public voted for this but its being rammed through anyway.

Another trip to the courts now and the taxpayers will fund all councils legal costs.

The Green Party will be blamed for this and will be annilated at the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Nobody "voted". It wasn't a referendum on the proposals. People made submissions. 63% of people in the wider area were in favour of the active travel proposals in the DLR area. This is part of the Park to Park route from Killiney to Blackrock DART station. And its only a trial. If it is a disaster it can go back to normal.

Could you provide a link to and further details of this vote please?

Here's the eh, bumper to bumper traffic on Frascati Road at 2pm today, on a sunny summer weekend, one of the peak periods for traffic in the area.

https://streamable.com/zl86i6

Look at the cars queuing at the traffic lights.

There has been no reduction in traffic in Blackrock, I cant leave the window open at night due to traffic noise. Its taking longer and longer to go anywhere and closing Deansgrange Road is utter madness.

I drove from Gorey to South Dublin today at 4 pm.

I didnt pass one cyclist until I got to Stillorgan and he was delivering food, Its a lovely afternoon and no one cycling , whats it going to be like in the winter and now precious road space will be tumbleweed.

Closing Deansgrange Road wont encourage anyone to cycle as other local roads will not take the displaced, sorry, evaporated traffic and you have to use these roads to get to the cycle lane.

whats the point in Local Government if changes that locals dont want are imposed anyway, we can vote to get rid of councillors but no getting rid of officials, this decision will incense locals and business people, the officials wont lose a cent of income, insulated from covid etc as they are.

• Advertisement

@taxiperson Bump. Any chance that you could provide a link to the source for your claim that :

“Only 13 per cent of the public voted for this but its being rammed through anyway.”

Thanks

So just to be clear, when you referred to 'bumper to bumper traffic' you were referring to the kinds of traffic seen in the video, mostly free flowing, 5-10 cars lined up at each traffic light. This is problematic levels of traffic, caused by the new cycle facilities, in your opinion?

Oh for goodness sake.

You clearly dont live in the area, you have no idea of the knock on effects of closing heavily trafficked roads.

The traffic doesnt evaporate, it moves elsewhere, there is no major increase in people cycling except on the road to the Forty Foot on a warm day.

People are avoiding public transport because of covid, they arent cycling, new cycle lanes mostly empty all day.

You are a member of a cycling mafia, you are virtuous in your lycra and expensive bike, you have no children to move from A to B, no elderly parents to take out, you arent disabled, your whole life revolves round your cycling.

No further point in engaging with you, its a waste of time.

The full report is available on the Councils website.

Over six thousand people made submissions and only 13 per cent favoured reducing Deansgrange Road to one way only.

This is insane and is more about making car use miserable than it is about cycling.

It will bring traffic into residential areas and onto other local roads and actually will put people off cycling.

This was tried in Blackrock, a proposal to make Avoca Avenue one way was proceeded with in spite of practically every local councillor and the majority of residents saying NO.

I feel so sorry for Deansgrange residents and business owners, their lives will be a misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

I work in public transport, mostly in the Dún Laoghaire area, and I see a lot more people on bikes than in the recent past. I've found the changes to date extremely positive. I haven't cycled a bike since I was twelve, so I'm not part of any imaginary "cycling mafia" - I just happen to think there are too many cars on the roads and that they ruin the place for everyone else.

There is no increase in cycling in Blackrock, Stillorgan, Foxrock or the surrounding areas.

The cycling lanes are empty most of the day, its really nice weather now, perfect for cycling but it will be wet, windy and dark shortly so why create major traffic difficulties for little benefit.

It takes traffic off one road and funnels it elsewhere.

To be honest if you need segregated cycling lanes to take you from A to B then cycling isnt for you.

You need to learn to cycle in traffic and if you cant handle it then take public transport or drive.

I see people taking young children out on busy roads, some even bring the dog on the lead too, these people arent entitled to demand cycle lanes if it means others are stuck in rage inducing traffic jams, this helps no one.

If 87 per cent of residents object to the closing of a major road they need to be listened to, they have to live with the consequences of experiments like this.

The residents in Deansgrange arent as well heeled as those in Sandymount or Avoca Avenue, Blackrock but I can see legal action over this decision.

63 per cent in favour of better cycling infracstructure, 13 per cent in favour of changes to Deansgrange Road.

Thanks but I’m having trouble finding it. Could you provide a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

There is a marked increase in cycling in the area.

People wanting their children to be able to cycle safely? Perish the thought!

If you're enraged because you're stuck in traffic it may be worth considering that you are part of the problem. If you can't handle it then take public transport, walk, or cycle.

That’s a completely different story to your original claim. So was it the case that only 13% voted in favour of turning the road into a one way system, not that only 13% voted for cycle lanes?

• Advertisement

Its not safe to take your children out cycling on busy roads, you dont see people doing this on country roads and its equally as dangerous in the city.

If you want to take your children cycling then buy a bicycle rack and go somewhere quiet, this is what caring parents do.

You cant expect car owners who need and want to drive to sit in traffic jams so you and junior get to use the transport mode you want. When your child is old enough to cycle in traffic then you can enjoy this option.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

What do you think is the primary factor that makes roads unsafe for cyclists?

Also, your entire post is predicated on the idea that roads may only be used by motorists. That's just not true.

Hopefully, in time, the inconvenience will make a lot of car owners think about whether a car journey into the centre of Dún Laoghaire is necessary or not - especially when the town is so well served by public transport. And public transport works a lot better when it's not being impeded by private cars.

The problem is the inconvenience is making car owners think Dunlaoghaire isn’t worth the hassle and this is why the town is becoming more decrepit by the day.

The cinema will be the next amenity to go, I would have walked into it and then got the number 7 bus home (outside Argos).

I won’t traipse around Dunlaoghaire on a dark winters evening to the seafront or wherever the bus stop is now,I won’t travel on the Dart at night time either, too much anti social behaviour.

I will drive to Dundrum instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I think somebody newly joined to boards with 43 posts to their name all against cycling infrastructure in both the Cycling and Dublin South forums may have an axe to grind. There would appear to be little point in trying to refute your arguments/opinions. All these arguments have been gone over multiple times on this thread and elsewhere.

Remember all these proposals are on a trial basis. Not a permanent implementation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nobody with any sort of objectivity believes these schemes are trials.

How could they be, they have no metrics for success or failure. They are quite plainly Empire building, by certain senior officials looking to make a name for themselves. Further evidence for that is the efforts to try and shoehorn major public realm changes in under traffic management legislation. Legislation which requires no approval at Council level.

The 7 still stops at the junction of George's St. and Marine Rd - literally a stone's throw from Argos. I don't think too many cinema goers will be put off by the thought of a one-minute walk.

• Advertisement

Its not the actual walk, its the darkness and isolation of that area without buses and cars.It wont feel safe.

I used to walk down to seapoint at night time too, I dont do it after dark now, there are no cyclists on it once it gets dark, no cars on one side of the road, very few people around from September on, it feels sinister.

The cycle lane is a great amenity on a lovely summers day but there are downsides and people are entitled to relay how they feel, some of us have lived in the area for decades and the changes impact us.

Our voices dont matter, hence close off half of Deansgrange road so a minority of people who like cycling can cycle from Park to Park from Killiney to Blackrock Dart station, think someone posted this is the thinking behind this.

Sure put a cycle lane through a cemetery too, the dead wont care and we can ride roughshod over the locals wishes too.

Advertisement