Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The gains certainly don't justify the losses.

It hasn't been 24 hours yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's just people walking on the street when there's plenty of room on the footpaths.

Be dismissive with daft comments if you like, but the fact remains that 5 bus routes aren't now serving the highest demand areas of the town, the shopping centres and hospital, disadvantaging the most mobility impaired.

The gains certainly don't justify the losses.

The buses stop outside the main shopping centre, adjacent to the start of the areas of highest demand in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The buses stop outside the main shopping centre, adjacent to the start of the areas of highest demand in the town.

They do not. The 7 and 7A are now passing it as it diverts away from George's Street.

The 46A, 63 and 75 now U-turn at the Harbour roundabout and come back along Crofton Road, nowhere near the main shopping centre or George's Street.

It hasn't been 24 hours yet.

It's not something that needs to be measured over time

The buses served Lower George's Street, now they don't. They aren't there for the least mobile. It's an immediate loss.

They do not. The 7 and 7A are now passing it as it diverts away from George's Street.

The 46A, 63 and 75 now U-turn at the Harbour roundabout and come back along Crofton Road, nowhere near the main shopping centre or George's Street.

I was there half an hour ago. The bus in front of me turned right off George's St onto Marine Road, passing two entrances to the main shopping centre.

• Advertisement

I was there half an hour ago. The bus in front of me turned right off George's St onto Marine Road, passing two entrances to the main shopping centre.

Yeah....the 7....... I literally just said that.

But neither it nor the others go down the main street towards Monkstown any more...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Hopefully this is a general DL thread... Going to be out in DL on Wednesday around midday/1pm and looking for some lunch with a pint. Any alternative suggestions aside from Wetherspoons?

Yeah....the 7....... I literally just said that.

But neither it nor the others go down the main street towards Monkstown any more...

So access to the main shopping centre and access to George's St by bus is sorted then.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Thoughts and prayers for Ann urgently please;

https://twitter.com/OConnorOisin/status/1410498025642938371

49km Naas to Sandycove, sounds like a lovely saturday morning cycle to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

The buses served Lower George's Street, now they don't. They aren't there for the least mobile. It's an immediate loss.

And, there's an immediate gain too.

It's a trial, when the trial has ended all will be (re)considered and a decision arrived at.

• Advertisement

It's not a trial, it's a load of pissing around with the lives of the older and less mobile. And the reason it's not a trial is because it has no metrics for success or failure.

There is a brand new square right there to provide the outdoor gathering space that is beneficial, without the need to take a good public transport service out of the heart of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Hopefully this is a general DL thread... Going to be out in DL on Wednesday around midday/1pm and looking for some lunch with a pint. Any alternative suggestions aside from Wetherspoons?

Casper and Giumbini’s does decent food and alcohol.

Olivetto at the Haddington hotel, Casper and Giumbinis (as mentioned already) or Hartley would be my three first choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

If you prefer a pub, the food in the Lighthouse on the newly pedestrianised Lower George St is great - burgers, pizzas.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Yes, the elderly and disabled haven't been seen on Grafton St since 1982, when it was pedestrianised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Trains used to go to Donegal and trams to Howth, now they don't. Life moves on. As I said before, if it works it works and if it doesn't it can be changed. Give it a chance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Mav11 wrote: »
    Trains used to go to Donegal and trams to Howth, now they don't. Life moves on. As I said before, if it works it works and if it doesn't it can be changed. Give it a chance!!

They're two bad decisions to cite - both should have been retained. State sponsored vandalism in the dismantlement of the rail and tram network in this country.

qb123 wrote: »
    They're two bad decisions to cite - both should have been retained. State sponsored vandalism in the dismantlement of the rail and tram network in this country.

Agreed on the rail network, but whether they should or should not have been retained is an argument for a different thread. Its a moot point in terms of life moving on and the pedestrianisation of Georges St..

BTW I'm not sure that I would 100% agree on the tram network point, LUAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Hartleys, Casper & Giumbinis and Gourmet Food Parlour (more limited on booze side but there is alcohol available.)

Alternatively if you fancy a stretch of the legs, FXB in Monkstown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Blut2

Its highly unlikely anyone immobile enough to walk 200 metres down the street is getting the bus anyway. So as with the coast, the obvious solution is to turn all parking spots within say 100metres of Lower Georges St into disabled spots. Then anyone not mobile will be guaranteed easy access.

Obviously this will further slightly inconvenience normal drivers, but seeing as you're so concerned about the least mobile people this wouldn't be an issue right?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Mav11 wrote: »
    Agreed on the rail network, but whether they should or should not have been retained is an argument for a different thread. Its a moot point in terms of life moving on and the pedestrianisation of Georges St..

BTW I'm not sure that I would 100% agree on the tram network point, LUAS?

Can't help but think that what was there would have been nicely complementary to other public transport services, and would have slowed down dominance of car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_tramways

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

The Lighthouse

p15574 wrote: »
    Yes, the elderly and disabled haven't been seen on Grafton St since 1982, when it was pedestrianised.

If it was Grafton Street we are dealing with we'd have a tram at both end and I might almost agree with you.

But it's not, it's a local town built on the custom of its local people and their needs.

If it was Grafton Street we are dealing with we'd have a tram at both end and I might almost agree with you.

But it's not, it's a local town built on the custom of its local people and their needs.

it's a local town with a rail line at one end and extensive bus services built on the custom of its local people and their needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

it's a local town with a rail line at one end and extensive bus services built on the custom of its local people and their needs.
    Dun laoghaire is the third largest borough in ireland, not just a local town

If you prefer a pub, the food in the Lighthouse on the newly pedestrianised Lower George St is great - burgers, pizzas.

what?

they've pedestriansed George's Street?

no one mentioned it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Fine weather for outside dining there. Hope the tents stay up!

fixXxer wrote: »
    Fine weather for outside dining there. Hope the tents stay up!

Nice to see somebody else exhibiting positivity when it’s needed.

• Advertisement

I was in Darbovens for a coffee on Thursday. They seem to be very pleased with the pedestrianisation of Georges st., said that business is way up (could be the weather) particularly at the weekend. Must say that it was a much more pleasant experience having a coffee outside without the traffic noise or fumes.

BTW I'm not liking this new sit at all, seems to be a huge reduction in functionality and ease of navigation. Anybody else feel the same?

Advertisement