Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Thoughts and prayers for Ann
    Good move to keep culchies out of beautiful Dun Laoghaire seaside ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

markpb wrote: »
    Fortyfoot is not the only sea though. There's plenty of parking right beside the sea at other nearby locations like Poolbeg, Sandymount, Blackrock, DL Harbour and Bray. Removing a few parking spaces at one part of the coastline does not prevent anyone from accessing the sea. Most of those have decent public transport options as well.

The very point you avoided is access for recreational use, the 40 foot is one of relatively few dedicated sea bathing locations, Seapoint is another dedicated and serviced bathing location that is geared primarily towards local access.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Interesting the timing of this as access to the sea is a key feature of the newly published National Marine Planning Framework. The closest public transport from the 40 Foot is 500m away and the closest public car-park is 1km away. It's all well and good shouting down the opinions of people who you disagree with, but a wider debate on public access to marine recreational areas is absolutely necessary and, for some, vehicular access is necessary. Access to the sea for recreational use is not the preserve of the lucky few who live within sight of it.

I'm always curious by these arguments - these people being "discriminated" against are fit enough to go swim in the Irish Sea but not fit enough to walk a few hundred metres?

As mentioned in a few posts, 40 foot is not the only marine recreational area if someone is looking to walk by the sea - plenty of parking in DL by the sailing clubs/shopping centre/marine hotel. Seapoint, Blackrock, Ringsend, Sandymount, Dalkey & Killiney all a short drive away too...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

loyatemu wrote: »
    1km? so 10 minutes walk?

That depends entirely on the speed you walk...

There are 4,500 parking spaces in DL.

There are tens of thousands of parking spaces in Dublin county, what's your point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

The very point you avoided is access for recreational use, the 40 foot is one of relatively few dedicated sea bathing locations, Seapoint is another dedicated and serviced bathing location that is geared primarily towards local access.

Seapoint only has the dart and loads of buses going past it, how limiting.

fixXxer wrote: »

It does, very useful for those who live along the Dart line or on the 7 bus route.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭ARX

You can drive from Naas and park on Belgrave Square. No point on Belgrave Square is more than about a 450 metre walk from the swimming area at Seapoint. If you have a disability that prevents you from walking that far, you might be able to use one of the two disabled parking places at Seapoint, provided that they haven't been taken by other disabled people, many of whom suffer from disabilities of a nature that does not preclude kitesurfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

loyatemu wrote: »
    1km? so 10 minutes walk?

most people be they motorists, cyclists, scooterists or hoverboarderists tend to like parking near as possible to their destination (not me personally actually, i tend to prefer more secluded parking spots as i dont really car to be rammed between two other cars either of which could damage mine as they enter or exit but thats a digression)

it appears to be just human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah I would have no sympathy for an Ann. As a swim-lifesaving instructor in my younger years I fought with others to improve emergency vehicle access to the Forty Foot/Sandycove beach, which used to be shockingly bad.

Some places lend themselves to a certain amount of car access, considering the roads around Sandycove are probably 200 years old in layout, it's just not one of them. Fair play to her lack of self awareness to stick it in a letter to the Times all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Interesting the timing of this as access to the sea is a key feature of the newly published National Marine Planning Framework. The closest public transport from the 40 Foot is 500m away and the closest public car-park is 1km away. It's all well and good shouting down the opinions of people who you disagree with, but a wider debate on public access to marine recreational areas is absolutely necessary and, for some, vehicular access is necessary. Access to the sea for recreational use is not the preserve of the lucky few who live within sight of it.

There is on street parking by the 40 foot. Talk of 1km away is nonsense. There is lots of access to the sea, there are several car parks in the harbour and the west pier. Do you really think every bit of the coast should have a car park ?

The former baths site will have an adjacent car park with a special place just for Anne.

So access to the sea is not just preserved for the lucky few who live within sight.

Cyrus wrote: »
    most people be they motorists, cyclists, scooterists or hoverboarderists tend to like parking near as possible to their destination (not me personally actually, i tend to prefer more secluded parking spots as i dont really car to be rammed between two other cars either of which could damage mine as they enter or exit but thats a digression)

True, but just because it's human nature doesn't mean it should be accommodated by default. As with anything in life, there's a balance to be struck.

In this case, the pros and cons to weigh up are that removing a few spaces directly at the spot, will improve the enjoyment and safety for those there, plus improve access for those walking & cycling there.

The cons are that Ann from Naas who visits once a year can't drive within 100 yards of where she wants to go.

fixXxer wrote: »

Lots of bike spaces. Tends to get busy can be over 300 bikes on a sunny day. Many who come out from the city on a Dublin bike.

ARX wrote: »
    You can drive from Naas and park on Belgrave Square. No point on Belgrave Square is more than about a 450 metre walk from the swimming area at Seapoint. If you have a disability that prevents you from walking that far, you might be able to use one of the two disabled parking places at Seapoint, provided that they haven't been taken by other disabled people, many of whom suffer from disabilities of a nature that does not preclude kitesurfing.
    There is also a car park at Seapoint dart station an d the west pier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Mav11

ted1 wrote: »
    There is also a car park at Seapoint dart station an d the west pier.

Salthill and Monkstown dart station. None at Seapoint.

There is on street parking by the 40 foot. Talk of 1km away is nonsense. There is lots of access to the sea, there are several car parks in the harbour and the west pier. Do you really think every bit of the coast should have a car park ?

The former baths site will have an adjacent car park with a special place just for Anne.

So access to the sea is not just preserved for the lucky few who live within sight.

There are three car parks in the area that I know of, all are 1km away. Unless the locals know of more car parks that aren't obvious to non locals?

I see you have also decided to ignore the point I made about access to marine recreation areas (in this case swimming) and just decided that any car parking by the sea is reasonable. It's not.

The fact that you acknowledge the convenience of the parking beside the hopefully soon to be opened baths shows how well you understand the point that access for all modes of transport, in a measured and equitable way, is a good thing. :)

There are three car parks in the area that I know of, all are 1km away. Unless the locals know of more car parks that aren't obvious to non locals?

I see you have also decided to ignore the point I made about access to marine recreation areas (in this case swimming) and just decided that any car parking by the sea is reasonable. It's not.

The fact that you acknowledge the convenience of the parking beside the hopefully soon to be opened baths shows how well you understand the point that access for all modes of transport, in a measured and equitable way, is a good thing. :)

I addressed your marine access, you didn’t specify swimming. But this was also covered when I said that the council have a car park adjacent to the the old baths where a swim jetty is being provided.

On street parking is provided across Dun Laoighre including Sandycove. Why are you looking for a car park?

If you are being specific about swimming. There is 2 car parks at killiney beach, so DLRCoCo are looking after swimmers. Indeed the access points are being upgraded at this very moment

The parking on the west pier and Seapoint Dart Station facilitates those who want to swim at Seapoint.

The bike racks at Sandycove free up parking for those that need to drive.

If you think they there should be a car park at the 40 foot , would you ask the council to CPO a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Blut2

Theres a very easy solution to this - turn all the parking spots within 500m of the coast into disabled permit only spots. That way there will always be guaranteed parking available for people who genuinely do have difficulties walking distances.

The solution isn't more parking spaces, its better use of the ones we already have.

Mav11 wrote: »
    Salthill and Monkstown dart station. None at Seapoint.

Yes, I regularly mix up the two S’s

Why does convenience for a select few drivers have to trump all others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,842 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There are tens of thousands of parking spaces in Dublin county, what's your point?

My point is that anyone driving to the Forty Foot has oodles of parking within a short walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,842 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Cyrus wrote: »

I like to get strawberries and ice cream, but I don't expect the Council to provide it.

We don't all get what we like. Maybe Ann needs to arrange her own storage space for her own private property?

I like to get strawberries and ice cream, but I don't expect the Council to provide it.

We don't all get what we like. Maybe Ann needs to arrange her own storage space for her own private property?

i didnt say she was entitled to it, i was just making an observation about people, cyclists seem to be the same.

Someone should tell Anne to drive down on a Sunday, she can park anywhere she likes then.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Aegir wrote: »
    Someone should tell Anne to drive down on a Sunday, she can park anywhere she likes then.

parking wardens work on Sundays now. Plenty of cars were ticketed in Sandycove for illegal parking last weekend.

parking wardens work on Sundays now. Plenty of cars were ticketed in Sandycove for illegal parking last weekend.

Proper order… illegal parking just messes the place up

Proper order… illegal parking just messes the place up

agreed, we need more of that.

good, it needs it. they need to be there until 10pm every evening as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Trial pedestrianisation today, I have friends that live in DL so I love visiting

https://twitter.com/BobHannan2016/status/1412021277141913604

Look at the horror it has caused, old people, buggies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's just people walking on the street when there's plenty of room on the footpaths.

Be dismissive with daft comments if you like, but the fact remains that 5 bus routes aren't now serving the highest demand areas of the town, the shopping centres and hospital, disadvantaging the most mobility impaired.

The gains certainly don't justify the losses.

Advertisement