Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Seve OB wrote: »
    But he is not good at recovering after bad starts;)

Not as good as you apparently, if you do say so yourself.

Seriously, you have never seen the rounds where he 3 and 4 putts and misses repeatedly from a couple of feet or misses the greens with a wedge? The ones where he looks like he prefer to be anywhere but the golf course? They are the rounds the journo is on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,859 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

davo10 wrote: »
    Not as good as you apparently, if you do say so yourself.

Yet again, I didn't say that so will you quit it.

As for the respected journalist you speak of, I don't know much about him, but just came someone writes something it doesn't mean it's true.

I know you are only saying that at times he plays like a journeyman but that's just a stupid thing to day, because by that logic at times every single top golfer plays like a journeyman when they are not on top form.

Why can't you just say at times he doesn't play to his full potential? But at the same respect, nobody in any sport has ever always played to their full potential. There are always peaks and dips, that's just the way it is.

Yet again, I didn't say that so will you quit it.

As for the respected journalist you speak of, I don't know much about him, but just came someone writes something it doesn't mean it's true.

I know you are only saying that at times he plays like a journeyman but that's just a stupid thing to day, because by that logic at times every single top golfer plays like a journeyman when they are not on top form.

Why can't you just say at times he doesn't play to his full potential? But at the same respect, nobody in any sport has ever always played to their full potential. There are always peaks and dips, that's just the way it is.

Ah here, are you saying "Tiger is not playing to his full potential"? C'mon.

There is a difference between an op ed and a fact file. One is an opinion, here's the thing, most sporting journalists write their articles based on opinion. When any golfer plays crap and sprays the ball all over the place, you don't see the headline "XXX doesn't play to potential, he might tomorrow", only a simpleton would expect an opinion piece like that from a journalist.

Every single golfer does have their off days, the article could be written about them, that does not make it any more right or wrong. It's probably just that his brilliant days are so brilliant and his bad days so bad, that the bad days are more newsworthy by comparison. A true journey man never reaches the consistant brilliance of someone like Mcillroy so they don't get articles written about them.

Maybe if more journeymen had your abilities of recovery, they would win more and not be journeymen.

My point is, (slowly now), that a respected golf journalist wrote an article stating that at times, Rory plays like a journeyman pro, particularly when he starts badly and realises he has no chance of winning.

I'm not sure that can be written any more simply, but please do let me know.

Just because paper doesn't refuse ink, it just means the ink spells out nothing more than an opinion. Opinions are not always correct, sensible it even factual.

Rory has played himself out of many a tournament early on and has quite often dug deep to produce scores such as his 65 today. If you keep insisting that he can't or indeed rarely recovers after bad starts then my opinion is you need to watch more and read less.

Of course all players go through the motions at times. It not always plain sailing you know, even for the best of them

Ah here, are you saying "Tiger is not playing to his full potential"? C'mon.

There is a difference between an op ed and a fact file. One is an opinion, here's the thing, most sporting journalists write their articles based on opinion. When any golfer plays crap and sprays the ball all over the place, you don't see the headline "XXX doesn't play to potential, he might tomorrow", only a simpleton would expect an opinion piece like that from a journalist.

Jesus wept. Tiger was a phenomenon. There will never be the likes of him again. But he never played week in week out to his full potential no. If he did he would have won every single event he entered. Nowadays it might be said Tiger plays above and beyond his potential......

I'm done

• Advertisement

Jesus wept. Tiger was a phenomenon. There will never be the likes of him again. But he never played week in week out to his full potential no. If he did he would have won every single event he entered. Nowadays it might be said Tiger plays above and beyond his potential......

I'm done

Here's an opinion, Tiger is arguably the best golfer ever to lift a club, now when he does play, sadly he plays like a journeyman golfer.

Here's an opinion, Tiger is arguably the best golfer ever to lift a club, now when he does play, sadly he plays like a journeyman golfer.

Well actually popular opinion now is that he plays like an old man as opposed to a journeyman.

Well actually popular opinion now is that he plays like an old man as opposed to a journeyman.

Old man? He's only 44, what a ridiculous thing to say, 44 isn't old. By that rationale all golfers over 43 are old. He's a great golfer, he just isn't playing to his potential.

(Tongue in cheek).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Russman

Maybe respected golf journalist is full of sh1t€.......?

Rory on many occasions (truth be told too many) has a great weekend or even final round where he ends up 4th or 5th in a tournament he was never realistically in the hunt for, that's not giving up imo, I think he refers to them as back door top 10s.

There was an article (actually it may well have been written by said journalist, or maybe the Scottish fella that writes in Golf World) years ago about Rory playing in some sh1tbox tournament, in Germany I think, and he was talking about how hard it must be for player of Rory's talent to be interested and motivated playing and practising on such a bland and uninteresting course as they had that week. These guys are human too, and golf is hard, nobody has ever been great every week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Rory is 5 shots off the lead, another 65 tomorrow and who knows

• Advertisement

Old man? He's only 44, what a ridiculous thing to say, 44 isn't old. By that rationale all golfers over 43 are old. He's a great golfer, he just isn't playing to his potential.

(Tongue in cheek).

There you go again. Will you read what I say and not what you imagine I'm saying. I never said he was old, nor did anyone else. And by the way, he is only 41.

What I said was popular opinion is that he is playing like an old man, and his potential is probably not much more than the level he is playing to. Just cause he used to be better, doesn't mean that he can still go out and shoot the lights out.

Oh yea, he is not a great golfer. He was. But he is not anymore.

And by the way, the opinions of him playing like an old man is not mine, nor a journalist, but those of people who see him on the range and who know him well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

(Tongue in cheek).

Yeah he isn't old he is crocked. Phil is older and nobody would be surprised to see Phil won the masters in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I can see that you don't know what my point is.

Here it is again for the cheap seats at the back.

Rory is not a journeyman pro, he never has been, he never will be. His record since he turned pro means that he can never be considered a journeyman.

My point is, (slowly now), that a respected golf journalist wrote an article stating that at times, Rory plays like a journeyman pro, particularly when he starts badly and realises he has no chance of winning.

I'm not sure that can be written any more simply, but please do let me know.

Here's a tip for you, if you want to come on here all uppity and gimpy because someone takes up your point wrong, you might want to use more than one word in your posts.

There you go again. Will you read what I say and not what you imagine I'm saying. I never said he was old, nor did anyone else. And by the way, he is only 41.

What I said was popular opinion is that he is playing like an old man, and his potential is probably not much more than the level he is playing to. Just cause he used to be better, doesn't mean that he can still go out and shoot the lights out.

Oh yea, he is not a great golfer. He was. But he is not anymore.

And by the way, the opinions of him playing like an old man is not mine, nor a journalist, but those of people who see him on the range and who know him well.

The irony of this post is lost on you.

I'm not saying he's a journeyman, I never said he is a journeyman, he isn't a journeyman, I said a respected golfing journalist wrote that he occasionally plays like one.

Did those players tell you personally or did they give their opinions to/through the TV/print media via journalists?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Enough already. Or take the week off.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

The journeyman :D

Is going well and could make a run at this Arnold Palmer Inv.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

T-2nd now, 3 off the lead (Kisner)

Bad drive from Rory on the 12th par 5.

good shot to 4 feet from 91 yards.

Nice to see him make birds up and down from that distance too.

Could be an exciting finish here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

The wedge is working nicely today

• Advertisement

more like 5 feet

10 under - 2 back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

AGC wrote: »
    The wedge is working nicely today

Massive improvement in his wedge game this year. He obviously put alot if work into it. Paying off now

that bunker shot on 1 - is what makes Rory a player at another level. Looked like a 3 iron or something from a bunker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

IT would be glorious if he fought back for a win here.

jesus - that was a shocker with an iron from Rory - he knows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Rory needs to get to -12 to have a chance

370 yards drive by the journey man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Huge drives this week by Rory. He may just miss out but he is trying to birdie everything.

stockdam wrote: »
    Huge drives this week by Rory. He may just miss out but he is trying to birdie everything.

Yes serious sign of his form heating up - Masters will be class again this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Just missed his putt for a birdie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement