Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

I wasn't talking about your reading skills.
    Rory's inability to dominate a field, for one destined to break so many records.
    Rory Wie more like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I wasn't talking about your reading skills.
    Rory's inability to dominate a field, for one destined to break so many records.
    Rory Wie more like.

Why are you describing him as a journeyman.

Journeyman professionals are players who are only just OK if even that and just manage to make living from a sport without much major success

McIlroy has already won 4 majors and will in all likelihood win a few more.

Joruneyman is a completely inaccurate term to describe anyone of McIlroy's level.By winning 4 majors already he can never be accurately referred to as a journeyman.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

Why are you describing him as a journeyman.

Journeyman professionals are players who are only just OK if even that and just manage to make living from a sport without much major success

McIlroy has already won 4 majors and will in all likelihood win a few more.

Joruneyman is a completely inaccurate term to describe anyone of McIlroy's level.By winning 4 majors already he can never be accurately referred to as a journeyman.

Exactly how many have won 4 or more....

I suppose it's like the 7 A candidate in the Lc who like myself only got 6. It's an underwhelming sense of achievement.
    What is he now? 28.

I'd love odds on him winning 10+ in his 30s but until then I feel he's just riding the wave. And it's painstaking to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭bren2001

I suppose it's like the 7 A candidate in the Lc who like myself only got 6. It's an underwhelming sense of achievement.
    What is he now? 28.

I'd love odds on him winning 10+ in his 30s but until then I feel he's just riding the wave. And it's painstaking to watch.

4 time major winner who has just come back after a several week lay off due to injury and has a poor round. 3 away from the greatest European player ever, yet you want to hold him up to ridiculous standards otherwise he is riding a wave? All right....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I may have a few pints on board but I'm nearly sure someone just called Rory a journeyman?! :D:D:D:D That's a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

HighLine wrote: »
    I may have a few pints on board but I'm nearly sure someone just called Rory a journeyman?! :D:D:D:D That's a good one.

Yes. So is DJ. So is Jordan. So is Rickie. So is Jason. So is Henrick, Hideki, Adam and Sergio. So is basically everybody except maybe Phil and Tiger.

Padraig in his hey day was just a wanna be journeyman...... Oh how he used to dream of being good enough for people to call him a journeyman....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Journeyman. I think boards has reached peak bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

I worry he is heading down the Garcia road of great ball striking but woeful putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

I see no future for Rory Mcilroy in the game of golf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

What is he now? 28.

Self aggrandising there.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

rooney30 wrote: »

Ah I dunno, maybe he'd make a good club pro, don't give up on him (or yourself) just yet.

HighLine wrote:
    I may have a few pints on board but I'm nearly sure someone just called Rory a journeyman?! That's a good one.

I might have had a few on board too! Got the place talking though:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

To put it mildly I'm not a fan of McIlroy but even I can admit he sure as hell is no journeyman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

To put it mildly I'm not a fan of McIlroy but even I can admit he sure as hell is no journeyman!

I read an article last year, I think it was by Laurence Donegan who did actually mention that at times Mcilroy actually resembles a journeyman when he is playing. His point was that when he is "in the zone", he is peerless but at times he can look disinterested and doesn't seem to mind when he posts a bad score. The author said that with his ability, he should have more majors by now, but if he starts badly, he rarely recovers.

davo10 wrote: »
    but if he starts badly, he rarely recovers.

Yea, when he starts badly he hardly ever recovers. I mean you would hardly call a top 10 or top 5 finish after a bad start, a good recovery now would you........

Seve OB wrote: »
    Yea, when he starts badly he hardly ever recovers. I mean you would hardly call a top 10 or top 5 finish after a bad start, a good recovery now would you........

How many of those top 5 or top 10 finishes was in in contention to win or even within 5 shots of the winner?

Without googling, do you know who finished top 10 or even 5 in the last tournament McIlroy played in? DJ won it, no one cares who came second much less fifth or tenth.

Golf is tough lads.

How many of those top 5 or top 10 finishes was in in contention to win or even within 5 shots of the winner?

Without googling, do you know who finished top 10 or even 5 in the last tournament McIlroy played in? DJ won it, no one cares who came second much less fifth or tenth.

So you are saying a good recovery after a bad start is nothing short of a win. And you are wasting your time trying to get into the top finishers.

No one cares you say? I bet you the players care, money ranking points and world rankings being motivation wrong with a sense of pride.

I've lost count how many bad starts I've ever had but I can tell you I never give in. I will always play to the death and try to recover to a strong finish and give me something to build on in my next round. I can't see it being different for any pro out there on tour, even more so for those guys.

• Advertisement

McIlroy had an absymal start to the Masters the year Spieth ran away with it. It was a superb performance from Spieth, but McIlroy bettered him over the last 45 holes.

Seve OB wrote: »
    So you are saying a good recovery after a bad start is nothing short of a win. And you are wasting your time trying to get into the top finishers.

No one cares you say? I bet you the players care, money ranking points and world rankings being motivation wrong with a sense of pride.

I've lost count how many bad starts I've ever had but I can tell you I never give in. I will always play to the death and try to recover to a strong finish and give me something to build on in my next round. I can't see it being different for any pro out there on tour, even more so for those guys.

I'm saying no such thing, I referred to an article where the author said Mcillroy is capable of magical and awful play sometimes in the same round, he can play like the best player in the world and a journeyman at times. The article, nor me for that matter, stated that mcilloy is a journeyman pro, that would be ridiculous.

If the thread was about you I'm sure everyone would be impressed by how good you are at recovering from a bad start.

I don't think it's a secret that for the top echelon of golfers, nothing short of a win matters. Money and ranking points pale to insignificance compared to what Woods refers to as a "W". How many top pros have you heard saying "ya I'm delighted with the second place money prize and the points", I'm watching golf for 30 years and I never heard Seve, Faldo, woosnam, Norman, woods, Michelson or indeed Mcillroy say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

rooney30 wrote: »

Ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Ernie Els has won 4 majors and is considered something of a golfing great. McIlroy has won 4 and is only 27. He also saved the Irish open from near extinction.

The man deserves far more respect in my opinion, I can't understand why he gets constantly bashed.

For the record I believe he'll win at least 8 majors in total.

ligerdub wrote: »
    McIlroy had an absymal start to the Masters the year Spieth ran away with it. It was a superb performance from Spieth, but McIlroy bettered him over the last 45 holes.

schwartzel.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

super round from the journey man lol..see how the leaders fair out now

schwartzel.

I'm not sure what your point is. You have to win every tournament you're leading otherwise it's to the scrap yard with ya?

He shot 65 today by the way, in a tie for 6th now.

I'm saying no such thing, I referred to an article where the author said Mcillroy is capable of magical and awful play sometimes in the same round, he can play like the best player in the world and a journeyman at times. The article, nor me for that matter, stated that mcilloy is a journeyman pro, that would be ridiculous.

If the thread was about you I'm sure everyone would be impressed by how good you are at recovering from a bad start.

I don't think it's a secret that for the top echelon of golfers, nothing short of a win matters. Money and ranking points pale to insignificance compared to what Woods refers to as a "W". How many top pros have you heard saying "ya I'm delighted with the second place money prize and the points", I'm watching golf for 30 years and I never heard Seve, Faldo, woosnam, Norman, woods, Michelson or indeed Mcillroy say that.

Haha, I don't think I said I was good at recovering from bad starts, I was saying I never give up and don't let the bad holes get me down. Dig deep and fight till the end.

Regards Rory, you and the article were saying he doesn't recover well from bad starts and that is just not the case. I was merely pointing out that he has recovered well on many an occasion. Today being another example.

And you are wrong or don't watch the interviews because you will quite often hear players say they are happy with their finish even if they don't win. Sure, the bug guns go out to win and bot just make the numbers up.

Rory went out in Mexico lacking in confidence and not expecting anything big. He was quite happy with a very respectable 7th place finish considering his absence from the game.

I'm pretty sure Phil was delighted with his 7th place finish after his jungle trekking.

I'm not sure what your point is. You have to win every tournament you're leading otherwise it's to the scrap yard with ya?

But he is not good at recovering after bad starts;)

• Advertisement

I can see that you don't know what my point is.

Here it is again for the cheap seats at the back.

Rory is not a journeyman pro, he never has been, he never will be. His record since he turned pro means that he can never be considered a journeyman.

My point is, (slowly now), that a respected golf journalist wrote an article stating that at times, Rory plays like a journeyman pro, particularly when he starts badly and realises he has no chance of winning.

I'm not sure that can be written any more simply, but please do let me know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement