Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Rory played golf with the democratically elected President of the United States?? Shock and indeed horror... incidentally, how's he getting on in the Race to Dubai so far??
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_the_United_Arab_Emirates
    Flogging and stoning are legal forms of judicial punishment in the UAE due to Sharia courts.[3] The government restricts freedom of speech and freedom of the press, and the local media is censored to avoid criticizing the government, government officials or royal families. Freedom of association and freedom of religion are also curtailed.

Slamming Trump is very fashionable these days though, innit!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭thejourney

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Rory played golf with the democratically elected President of the United States?? Shock and indeed horror... incidentally, how's he getting on in the Race to Dubai so far??

As I said before its only the poor and lazy give trump a hard time because they failed at life

Not successful people like Rory and his girlfriend who is a republican and a well respected lady, not a redneck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

WHIP IT! wrote: »

Indeed it is - and in a sport that relies on fashion and branding etc you'd have to question the wisdom of the decision from a golfing/branding perspective.

And yes, golf is played in countries with atrocious human rights records, and a lot of us wear gear stitched together by kids in sweatshops and play over tracks of prime land that could be put to much more productive use using gear produced using techniques that are chronically environmentally unfriendly, which is why I didn't say the move, for Rory wasn't right and it wasn't wrong - only that it might not have been the "brightest."

Plus for someone who has worked hard and generally been successful at navigating the parochial politics of this island to play at the top level of the sport, I'd have thought teeing it up with as divisive a character as Trump (even if it is 'fashionable' to bash him) is something he'd have diplomatically side-stepped.

But whatever, he, and his advisors, know a lot more about it than I do, but for myself, he's dropped a bit in my estimation, not that I doubt that worries him one single jot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

thejourney wrote: »
    plays of 2 handicap at 73 years old, in good shape, and very healthy. What have any of those complaining achieved? I'd say very little..

https://www.thestar.com/sports/golf/2011/12/19/kim_jongil_once_carded_38under_par_at_pyongyang_golf_course.html

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

If Rory had refused to play, he would have been slaughtered by the American press and given the fact that he earns his living there.... it would have been a very foolish move.

I played golf with Hitler .... he couldnt get out of the bunker ! .... life goes on :p

• Advertisement

What makes people assume Rory wanted to turn him down? Because the people on your Facebook page told you that that dastardly Trump is a baaaaad man??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

No politics talk, this is a golf forum. Next person to go off topic gets a ban. You've been warned already, there will not be a third warning. Either get back talking about Rory's golf or take the week off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

well said keano

DUSTIN is no1 in the world. Rory will have that spot back in no time. `DUSTIN bodgy the last 3 holes to win last night. under presure heNot good enough

But he wasn't under any pressure that's why he bogeyed the last 3, he probably became bored because he had smashed up the field and was romping to an easy victory!Yes DJ has chucked away a few majors in the past, most top players will give away a few big events in their career but he's a phenom and justifiably world No.1 at the moment, to say Rory will easily take that off him is a bit of an insult to Deej!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

But he wasn't under any pressure that's why he bogeyed the last 3, he probably became bored because he had smashed up the field and was romping to an easy victory!Yes DJ has chucked away a few majors in the past, most top players will give away a few big events in their career but he's a phenom and justifiably world No.1 at the moment, to say Rory will easily take that off him is a bit of an insult to Deej!

And they were his 34th, 35th and 36th holes of golf in the one day, with a big lead, a drop in concentration and fatigue are a given in the scenario, he didn't have the adrenaline or pressure to push him towards the end. I wouldn't judge him on those three holes alone, I'd look at the first 18 played Sunday where there was pressure and competition and it blew away the field

The sight of DJ, Rory, Jason Day and (in a different way) Jordan Spieth operating on full power must make Tiger Woods' back feel even sorer...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The good thing is that if he's playing this high profile game I suppose we can't expect him to back out of the tourney in Mexico next week. That was a quick return from a fracture.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Jayop wrote: »
    The good thing is that if he's playing this high profile game I suppose we can't expect him to back out of the tourney in Mexico next week. That was a quick return from a fracture.

4 competitive rounds guaranteed too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Good piece by Eamonn Sweeney in the Sindo about this.
    McIlroy, like all the greats, is on his own side.

Refusing to play the game of most of the rest of the world.
    Fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Fair play to him.

It's a slightly hypocritical article from Sweeney .See below what he wrote a few weeks back.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/eamonn-sweeney-hollywood-should-spend-less-time-feeling-superior-to-sport-and-more-time-learning-from-it-35368230.html
    Some people will applaud Streep because she was putting the boot into Trump. But it's a bit late for that, isn't it? The shameful fact is that the movie and television world which celebrated its own worth that night has always been pretty tight with The Donald. There have been 11 cameo appearances for him in various movies, there was Jimmy Fallon's appallingly fawning interview with him on The Tonight Show during the election campaign and, above all, there was The Apprentice - which gave him the chance to be a TV star for 14 seasons and build the profile which enabled him to make his run for the presidency.
    Sport had zero to do with the rise of Trump, but if it wasn't for television he'd never have become president. That's just one more thing we can thank Meryl Streep's entertainment world buddies for.

He had a go at Hollywood being all pally wally with him and it helping him win the election.It's a bit hypocritical of him to criticize Hollywood for being in with him but be OK with sports stars being in with him.By the way I don't have a problem with who McIlroy plays golf with I really couldn't give a ****e about Donald Trump the whole thing is tedious at this stage.

Fair play to him.

One thing you'll notice about Rory is that he is his own man, and never pals around with the other Irish journey men golfers on tour.

No Irish golfer will ever be as successful as him, let alone 99% of the golfing world.

I think Rory doesn't rate the rest of them highly, and he is probably, right!

Lowery tweeted a negative post about Trump 2 weeks ago, getting a dig in even though he was playing in AMERICAN as a guest:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Rory pals around with a lot of people, he doesn't have the narrow range that a lot of others have.

He'd probably be happy to say that the likes of Shane Lowry, Rickie Fowler and Oliver Wilson are some of his best friends of his fellow pro's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

One thing you'll notice about Rory is that he is his own man, and never pals around with the other Irish journey men golfers on tour.

No Irish golfer will ever be as successful as him, let alone 99% of the golfing world.

Lowery tweeted a negative post about Trump 2 weeks ago, getting a dig in even though he was playing in AMERICAN as a guest:eek:

Where is this country AMERICAN located?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

It's great that we have you to provide such insights on what goes on the tours. I'm assuming you must on one of the tours or work in the industry. Fair play to you.

It's great that we have you to provide such insights on what goes on the tours. I'm assuming you must on one of the tours or work in the industry. Fair play to you.

Should me proof I am wrong? Not happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Should me proof I am wrong? Not happening!

You can say that again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

ForeRight wrote:
    You can say that again

Preferably in a known language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'd imagine the fact that they are all on different schedules etc means they are probably only rarely in the same time zone and outside of the Majors, rarely on the same course?

The name Peter Lawrie springs to mind and how he helped him with invites a couple of years ago.

Just to be clear for everyone here, who has been living under a rock

Rory lives in AMERICA, Rory is engaged to an American, Rory loves America.

So why not spend time with the american president, I Know that everyone would here if they were asked to play a round at a 5 star golf resort and make connections for life

So many two faced people here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

You know what was a perfect juncture to park this whole Rory playing golf with Trump nonsense... his statement he released below.

In other news... Rory McIlroy is back and will be playing a WGC event this weekend!

https://twitter.com/McIlroyRory/status/835227511126622209

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Would I play golf with Trump? No.
    Do I expect Rory to make decisions to keep the like of Ewan MacKenna happy? No.

He's free to do what he wants, off with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Russman

HighLine wrote: »

In other news... Rory McIlroy is back and will be playing a WGC event this weekend!

And hopefully he's pain free and picks up the win

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

lets face it rory was probably trying to appease his sponsors who were more than likely the ones who set up and rory doesn't want to pee them off by saying no.

im sure i heard rory make jokes about trump saying he was glad he didnt have to vote in the election.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Is this dead horse still being flogged? I hope there's a similarly long thread about Tiger's decision to go golfing with that subversive Obama.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Just to be clear for everyone here, who has been living under a rock

Rory lives in AMERICA, Rory is engaged to an American, Rory loves America.

So why not spend time with the american president, I Know that everyone would here if they were asked to play a round at a 5 star golf resort and make connections for life

So many two faced people here!!

The sort of people who would be impressed with Rory snubbing the president i wouldn't want to spend any time with in the first place.

He will be back in action on Thursday in Mexico.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement