Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Lads, do you not get it.

Trump is going to........ and I quote.....
    "Make Rory great again" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

red ears wrote:
    He will be back in action on Thursday in Mexico.

Just to be clear here, you meant Rory yeah? :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Registered Users Posts: 17,794 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Certainly seems like he spent the last 2 months hitting irons and wedges!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Ha, on the 10th he hit his drive 393...crazy stuff

• Advertisement

Nice little bounce off the bank for Eagle.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Only his first hole out on a par 4 since the Tour Championship 2016. It's either in the hole or 20 foot wide with a wedge.

Continue like this world number 1 and at least 1 major this year beckons.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Another strong birdie chance coming up

Keano wrote: »
    Another strong birdie chance coming up

And misses, certainly one he should have taken, hopefully it doesn't come back to cost him in the end.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

3 poor putts coming home for Rory, disappointing because it really should be a 5 shot lead instead of 2. Could be crucial.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

That finish will leave a bad taste in his mouth.

Should have birdied 16 and definetly 18 and had a poor 3 putt on 17. Such a pity as his long game was just immaculate.

Watching on playback. That was a terrible pull on 18.
    I've seen worse 7 handicappers make those.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

That finish will leave a bad taste in his mouth.

Should have birdied 16 and definetly 18 and had a poor 3 putt on 17. Such a pity as his long game was just immaculate.
    For me, the big improvement is in his approach play. He's sticking a lot more shots close to the pin now and that's what was really costing him last year and previous years. He'll still miss a few putts, but if he's getting a birdie chance every second hole or so, how bad could it be?

For me, the big improvement is in his approach play. He's sticking a lot more shots close to the pin now and that's what was really costing him last year and previous years. He'll still miss a few putts, but if he's getting a birdie chance every second hole or so, how bad could it be?

With respect I disagree. His tee to green game was wonderful last year, but he hit serious issues with the flat stick. He'll need to sort that out if he is to get back to the top.

He isn't going to stick it to 4 feet on every hole every day, so he can't count on that to give him the scores. Still though, I'm being picky, it's great to see him play so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

ligerdub wrote: »
    With respect I disagree. His tee to green game was wonderful last year, but he hit serious issues with the flat stick. He'll need to sort that out if he is to get back to the top.

He isn't going to stick it to 4 feet on every hole every day, so he can't count on that to give him the scores. Still though, I'm being picky, it's great to see him play so well.

You must be just talking about his driving and long approaches? He was shockingly poor with a wedge in his hand all of last year. From 100-150 yards out, he was ranked circa 150 but from 225-250 yards out, he was ranked 3.

Very happy to see him dialed in now. All elements of his game are looking excellent at the moment.

HighLine wrote: »
    You must be just talking about his driving and long approaches? He was shockingly poor with a wedge in his hand all of last year. From 100-150 yards out, he was ranked circa 150 but from 225-250 yards out, he was ranked 3.

Very happy to see him dialed in now. All elements of his game are looking excellent at the moment.

But was that based on his proximity to the hole or the amount of shots it took for him to hole out from that distance. I'm open to correction of course.

To me it seemed his biggest problem was yippy putting, especially athe PGA where it was bordering on painful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

.....and Rory eases into sole possession of the lead.....

Ol' Lefty's wedge over the tree was something special!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Halfprice

Dont think Rory would mind if he had wait a long time again to play with Phil. With Phil been all over the place it surley affected Rory a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

ligerdub wrote: »
    But was that based on his proximity to the hole or the amount of shots it took for him to hole out from that distance. I'm open to correction of course.

To me it seemed his biggest problem was yippy putting, especially athe PGA where it was bordering on painful.
    The putting wasn't good, but he was leaving himself with 15+ footers a lot of the time, despite being within a spit of the green for his second shot.

I suspect his putting stats would have been a lot better if the ball was in the same post code as the hole. There were some shocking misses with a wedge in his hand. And let's face it, for most Par 4s, he has a wedge in his hand for his second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

The putting wasn't good, but he was leaving himself with 15+ footers a lot of the time, despite being within a spit of the green for his second shot.

I suspect his putting stats would have been a lot better if the ball was in the same post code as the hole. There were some shocking misses with a wedge in his hand. And let's face it, for most Par 4s, he has a wedge in his hand for his second.

A little reminiscent of Garcia with the putting. I hope he doesn't develop putting issues like him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Not much went for him last night. Driving the ball quite far on some holes but not getting some standard chips close so birdie was a long shot.

He would have been better with the 3 wood off the tee and a PW to green.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

Good to see he's gone back to the trusted vokey's and using Callaway woods and driver is a strange one! Lot of talk about the Callaway Epic driver giving the TM M1 a bit of competition..

Really should have been in a better position on Saturday having not taking his chances on Friday coming home.

Competition has never been stronger imo. Tough ask to get back to number one.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Jan 12 - SA Open (ET)[2nd]
    Jan 19 – Abu Dhabi (ET)[Injured]
    Feb 2 - Dubai Desert (ET)[Injured]
    Feb 23 - Honda Classic (PGA)[Injured]

Mar 2 – WGC Mexico [T7]
    Mar 16 - Arnold Palmer (PGA)
    Mar 22 – WGC Match Play
    Apr 6 – Masters
    May 4 – Wells Fargo (PGA)
    May 11 – Players (PGA)
    May 25 – BMW PGA (ET)
    June 15 – US Open
    July 6 – Irish Open (ET)
    Jul 13 – Scottish Open (ET)
    Jul 20 – Open Championship
    Aug 3 – WGC Bridgestone
    Aug 10 – US PGA
    Aug 24 – Northern Trust (PGA)(FedEx)
    Sep 1 – Dell Championship (PGA)(FedEx)
    Sep 14 – BMW Championship (PGA)(FedEx)
    Sep 21 – Tour Championship (PGA)(FedEx)
    OCT 26 - WGC HSBC
    Nov 2 – Turkish Airlines (ET)
    Nov 16 – DP Tour Championship (ET)

Updated schedule

When you look at it like that it's not too bad. Two week stints then a break for 2 weeks kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Quintis wrote: »
    Jan 12 - SA Open (ET)[2nd]
    Jan 19 – Abu Dhabi (ET)[Injured]
    Feb 2 - Dubai Desert (ET)[Injured]
    Feb 23 - Honda Classic (PGA)[Injured]

Mar 2 – WGC Mexico [T7]
    Mar 16 - Arnold Palmer (PGA)
    Mar 22 – WGC Match Play
    Apr 6 – Masters
    May 4 – Wells Fargo (PGA)
    May 11 – Players (PGA)
    May 25 – BMW PGA (ET)
    June 15 – US Open
    July 6 – Irish Open (ET)
    Jul 13 – Scottish Open (ET)
    Jul 20 – Open Championship
    Aug 3 – WGC Bridgestone
    Aug 10 – US PGA
    Aug 24 – Northern Trust (PGA)(FedEx)
    Sep 1 – Dell Championship (PGA)(FedEx)
    Sep 14 – BMW Championship (PGA)(FedEx)
    Sep 21 – Tour Championship (PGA)(FedEx)
    OCT 26 - WGC HSBC
    Nov 2 – Turkish Airlines (ET)
    Nov 16 – DP Tour Championship (ET)

Updated schedule

Judging by that he takes about 22 weeks off in the year. Not including the 3 missed events with the stress fracture.

The more I see of him the more the journeyman he is. Rors has got to be dominating fields like this. Not turning up and flunking it.
    No majors this year either Rors.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The more I see of him the more the journeyman he is. Rors has got to be dominating fields like this. Not turning up and flunking it. No majors this year either Rors.

He hit some shots today that had the commentary team lost for words. His putting was woeful but he is no journeyman.

First Up wrote:
    He hit some shots today that had the commentary team lost for words. His putting was woeful but he is no journeyman.

He does make it hard work though. Somewhere between a journeyman and upper echelons.
    Don't get me wrong, when he's on there's no better. His on days need to be more often though. I mean 12 to 16 championship rounds on the trot, just to forgive that bad round where even still the competition knows where you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

He does make it hard work though. Somewhere between a journeyman and upper echelons. Don't get me wrong, when he's on there's no better. His on days need to be more often though. I mean 12 to 16 championship rounds on the trot, just to forgive that bad round where even still the competition knows where you are.

That's not my definition of a journeyman.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement