Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

ligerdub wrote: »
    Rory had to go for it, given the circumstances it wasn't too surprising that it went well beyond. He doesn't 3 putt that if he didn't absolutely have to make it.

On another note, Hatton and Fleetwood are in great form at the moment, they could do some damage at the Masters.

Yes Rory wasn't interested in anything other than winning.

I'd like to see Tommy F do well in the Masters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Does that put McIlroy up to #2 in the world? It must be close enough......washed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,835 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Does that put McIlroy up to #2 in the world? It must be close enough......washed up!

has to

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yep, he's moved ahead of Day. DJ still has a big lead at the top though, just over 2.5 points ahead of McIlroy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Come on lads this is not the PGA Tour thread, a lot of posts have been moved as they have no place here. People like to log on to check how Rory is doing , not scroll thought a lot of posts about everyone else!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Jan 12 - SA Open (ET)[2nd]
    Jan 19 – Abu Dhabi (ET)[Injured]
    Feb 2 - Dubai Desert (ET)[Injured]
    Feb 23 - Honda Classic (PGA)[Injured]

Mar 2 – WGC Mexico [T7]
    Mar 16 - Arnold Palmer (PGA) [T4]

Mar 22 – WGC Match Play
    Apr 6 – Masters
    May 4 – Wells Fargo (PGA)
    May 11 – Players (PGA)
    May 25 – BMW PGA (ET)
    June 15 – US Open
    July 6 – Irish Open (ET)
    Jul 13 – Scottish Open (ET)
    Jul 20 – Open Championship
    Aug 3 – WGC Bridgestone
    Aug 10 – US PGA
    Aug 24 – Northern Trust (PGA)(FedEx)
    Sep 1 – Dell Championship (PGA)(FedEx)
    Sep 14 – BMW Championship (PGA)(FedEx)
    Sep 21 – Tour Championship (PGA)(FedEx)
    OCT 26 - WGC HSBC
    Nov 2 – Turkish Airlines (ET)
    Nov 16 – DP Tour Championship (ET)

Updated schedule. Moved from 3rd to 2nd in the World Rankings and from 79th to 46th in the FedExCup Standings

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Typical of a journeyman pro, gets himself into position and then bottles it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Reminds me of Westwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

In some ways it was a typical Rory display, I've seen this script with him so often, slow out of the traps, pretty much plays himself out of contention in days 1 and 2, pressure comes off then he starts to play well and tear the course up, usually leading to getting himself in the mix or at least on the periphery, so the pressure comes back on again and he then does something daft again, and that's murder she wrote! Obviously not all the time but imo that happens quite alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I do reckon he'll get a win soon, hopefully in two weeks time! Would fancy his chances at the matchplay also.

• Advertisement

Not sure I agree, on the 18th tee box he would have seen Leishman at -11 and at -10 knew he probably needed a birdie to make a play-off. The wedge was poor but the three putt doesn't mean much, he had to make the putt to have any chance so was never going to leave it short, the putt back meant nothing in the grand scheme, the difference between a two putt for T2 and a three putt for T4 would never have crossed his mind, only the chance of making the first putt. Shows a desire to win, he had enough chances to win over the 4 days, just needs a bit more sharpness with the wedges over the full 4 days imo

Quintis wrote: »
    Not sure I agree, on the 18th tee box he would have seen Leishman at -11 and at -10 knew he probably needed a birdie to make a play-off. The wedge was power but the three putt doesn't mean much, he had to make the putt to have any chance so was never going to leave it short, the putt back meant nothing in the grand scheme, the difference between a two putt for T2 and a three putt for T4 would never have crossed his mind, only the chance of making the first putt. Shows a desire to win, he had enough chances to win over the 4 days, just needs a bit more sharpness with the wedges over the full 4 days imo

Agreed. McIlroy is more interested in winning than coming 2nd etc.
    Firstly, coming 2nd doesn't really help with your statistics.......nobody talks about who comes 2nd. There's a huge jump in money between 1st and 2nd and a lot less between 2nd and 3rd..
    So he was right to give it everything he had and to risk messing up. On another day he'll do the same and win. At his stage and with his money he is only interested in winning if he gets within striking distance. I'd say most of the top 5 or so golfers in the world are only interested in winning and they don't mind too much if occasionally they gamble and lose.
    His game is all about being aggressive and trying to win.......and that's why he does win. Being conservative means that you finish 2nd or 3rd or 4th too often. He wants to win and with it is the risk and reward shots that don't always come off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Russman

Exactly, in the circumstances I wouldn't read too much into the 3 putt, especially on greens that quick.

Interesting draw in the match play - with Grillo, Woodland & Kjeldsen. On paper he should come through, but in matchplay Grillo & Kjeldsen could be banana skins for him.

Russman wrote: »
    Exactly, in the circumstances I wouldn't read too much into the 3 putt, especially on greens that quick.

Interesting draw in the match play - with Grillo, Woodland & Kjeldsen. On paper he should come through, but in matchplay Grillo & Kjeldsen could be banana skins for him.

Maybe Woodland too, McIlroy beat him in the last match in 2015 at Harding Park. Saying that Woodland lost in the first round in his other 2 appearances at the Match Play, 2015 could have just been a form week on a course that suited him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

first time in awhile he's in good form for the masters, has to be between him and DJ imo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

AnneFrank wrote: »
    first time in awhile he's in good form for the masters, has to be between him and DJ imo

There's been enough unlikely winners over the years to make such predictions no more than guesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭bren2001

AnneFrank wrote: »

I don't see how Speith cannot be the favorite, loves the course T2, Wins, T2 in the last 3 years. Has made an ok start to the season so far.

As already stated, its unpredictable. Matsuyama, Justin Thomas or even Hadwin could make a push along with the established group of Phil etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

bren2001 wrote: »
    I don't see how Speith cannot be the favorite, loves the course T2, Wins, T2 in the last 3 years. Has made an ok start to the season so far.

As already stated, its unpredictable. Matsuyama, Justin Thomas or even Hadwin could make a push along with the established group of Phil etc.

Good shout, even with Speith a little off form he does have to be favourite.

With Rorys wedge play last weekend, i think everything is coming together nicely for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Yep, I feel like Rory is playing himself nicely in to form. A win between now and Augusta would set him for his first green jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Putter still needs to click. Lag putting looks grand but the 5-20 footers are not up to much. He was all over the place with the putter last year and changed grip as a result. Worse this year. Couldn't bet on him for Masters.

PGA Stats
    From 4-8' 64.71%
    From 10-15' 22.73%

From 4-8' 66.04%
    From 10-15' 29.53%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

The way dj and rory hit the ball, as in very long, and very high, sets them up as clear favourites for me,
    Especially Dj,

Jan 12 - SA Open (ET)[2nd]
    Jan 19 – Abu Dhabi (ET)[Injured]
    Feb 2 - Dubai Desert (ET)[Injured]
    Feb 23 - Honda Classic (PGA)[Injured]

Mar 2 – WGC Mexico [T7]
    Mar 16 - Arnold Palmer (PGA) [T4]

Mar 22 – WGC Match Play [T30]
    Apr 6 – Masters
    May 11 – Players (PGA)
    May 25 – BMW PGA (ET)
    June 1 - Memorial (PGA)
    June 15 – US Open
    June 22 - Travelers (PGA)
    July 6 – Irish Open (ET)
    Jul 20 – Open Championship
    Aug 3 – WGC Bridgestone
    Aug 10 – US PGA
    Aug 24 – Northern Trust (PGA)(FedEx)
    Sep 1 – Dell Championship (PGA)(FedEx)
    Sep 14 – BMW Championship (PGA)(FedEx)
    Sep 21 – Tour Championship (PGA)(FedEx)
    OCT 26 - WGC HSBC
    Nov 2 – Turkish Airlines (ET)
    Nov 16 – DP Tour Championship (ET)

Updated schedule. Stays 2nd in the World Rankings and from 46th to 43rd in the FedExCup Standings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

Cmon McIlroy call over to Player and let him tell you how he did it!!!!!!!!! Seven back. Shoots a 64.

Ballesteros never lacked for fire in the belly and no more so than every return to Augusta, but that fire was further fuelled by events in the final round of the 1978 tournament.

Playing alongside Gary Player, Ballesteros was out of contention. The galleries - Augusta's famous "patrons" - assumed the South African was too, something he sensed and resented.

In his famous black attire Player turned to Seve and said, "These people don't think I can win. You watch, I'll show them."

With that he reeled off an astonishing seven birdies in the final 10 holes, playing the back nine in just 30 strokes to complete a stunning victory. When the final putt dropped on the 18th green the young Spaniard embraced the veteran South African joyously; "You have shown me how to win," he said, awed by the pride and passion he had witnessed.

luvthegame wrote: »
    Cmon McIlroy call over to Player and let him tell you how he did it!!!!!!!!! Seven back. Shoots a 64.
    That's just silly. Also tell us about the times when famous golfers said "I'll show them" and then went on to shoot 80!
    If Player could turn on a 64 when he wanted to then why didn't he do it more often? Or was he lazy or couldn't be bothered and only tried at certain times.

No golfer in the world is that dominant that they can flick a switch and shoot 64 or lower. One morning they will wake up and everything is easy; the next day they'll play as well and every putt will lip out.
    It's only in books and in hindsight that these stories get revealed. I guarantee that Player couldn't turn on a low score just by clicking his red footjoys together.

stockdam wrote: »
    That's just silly. Also tell us about the times when famous golfers said "I'll show them" and then went on to shoot 80!
    If Player could turn on a 64 when he wanted to then why didn't he do it more often? Or was he lazy or couldn't be bothered and only tried at certain times.

No golfer in the world is that dominant that they can flick a switch and shoot 64 or lower. One morning they will wake up and everything is easy; the next day they'll play as well and every putt will lip out.
    It's only in books and in hindsight that these stories get revealed. I guarantee that Player couldn't turn on a low score just by clicking his red footjoys together.

ah don't know about that. I could very easily go out and shoot a 95 if I want to this afternoon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

I think Rory needs to win one of the other majors again before he'll win The Masters. Like a reminder or refresher for him of how it's done. Stupid thought I know.

I think Rory needs to take a leaf from Sergios book. He wants the masters to bad. Listening to Sergio last night and how he spoke about letting the course beat him for years and overcoming that. I think Rory is at the stage that the course is beating him, he want is so bad he is chasing it to much. It's time to take a step back and go out there and have fun, do what you do and the win will take care of itself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Seve OB wrote: »
    I think Rory needs to take a leaf from Sergios book. He wants the masters to bad. Listening to Sergio last night and how he spoke about letting the course beat him for years and overcoming that. I think Rory is at the stage that the course is beating him, he want is so bad he is chasing it to much. It's time to take a step back and go out there and have fun, do what you do and the win will take care of itself
    It should have given him some comfort as well, to see two guys who aren't noted for their putting to have been ahead of the field pretty much the whole final day.

Rory's putting was pretty decent. Average of 1.61 per hole with 5 three putts. Sergio had 1.65 but only 1 three putt. The main difference between them was Sergio had less bogeys and no doubles as well as an eagle. But Rory was 17th in putting, so definitely not an issue there.

Rory's biggest problem this year imo, was the number of fairways he missed. I think it was something like half of them. Now you could say that he hits it longer and that's where they get narrower, but Sergio was driving pretty long too and got 80% of them. Second most accurate in the field to Rory's 50th or thereabouts.

If you're taking your second shot from the trees, you're really not going to be hitting greens. Ask Justin Rose. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

In terms of strokes gained, Rory leads the pack off the tee, and leads in the "approach-to-green" category......but is 112th in SG when it comes to putting, and 117th when it comes to strokes gained around the green.....

......him and his people will have much more accurate information available to him, but at this macro level the data would suggest that pinging the fairways isn't an issue, it's the accuracy of his short game.

Contrast that with Sergio - who is ranked second in shots gained off the tee, is 82nd in the approach to green category, but is 23rd in shots gained around the green.

Sergio might take, on average, a few shots more than Rory to get to the same position around the green on any given hole but when he gets there, he has, typically, fewer shots left to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

McIlroy has a pretty decent record in terms of overall position in the Masters over the last few years. He has been top 5 or so without really threatening to win it.

Just wasn't his week, he wasn't that far off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement