Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

First Up wrote: »
    I'd say he is about as far from happy as you can get. It was eerily similar to his collapse at the Masters. He regularly "bounces back" after one bad hole but if the bad run extends beyond a hole or two - he is gone.

Today maybe but when he looks back in a few days lots of positives

• Registered Users Posts: 13,316 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I'd say he is about as far from happy as you can get. It was eerily similar to his collapse at the Masters. He regularly "bounces back" after one bad hole but if the bad run extends beyond a hole or two - he is gone.

Ah, it's not a bit like the Masters. Two over for the round when his playing partner was double bogeying successive holes is not a meltdown by any stretch.

Level par would have got him to a playoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

He finished two off the lead. That's not a bad weekend. Had the headlines been "Lowry finishes two off lead" or even "Anatom finishes two off lead"* the reaction would have been completely different. Its because it's Rory that expectations are so much higher. We need to cut him a bit of slack. He had a good weekend.

(* Not least because Anatom would still be too drunk to be able to write his own name twice in the one sentence...)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Anatom wrote: »
    He finished two off the lead. That's not a bad weekend. Had the headlines been "Lowry finishes two off lead" or even "Anatom finishes two off lead"* the reaction would have been completely different. Its because it's Rory that expectations are so much higher. We need to cut him a bit of slack. He had a good weekend.

(* Not least because Anatom would still be too drunk to be able to write his own name twice in the one sentence...)

Its not about expectations. He had a three shot lead at the start of the day, extended it to six over Scott and then frittered it away with sloppy driving and poor approach play. Sure Scott played well (and showed great resilience after two doubles) but Rory going from 6 ahead to 2 behind in 13 holes doesn't sound like a good weekend to me.

then frittered it away with sloppy driving and poor approach play.

Do you play golf ha ha ? That's what happens when you are 5 to 10% off on a windy course with more water than Venice. It wasn't sloppy. Scott played similarly the day before. When your off your off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Anatom wrote: »

He bottled a 3 shot lead and was the only player on the first page of the leaderboard who was over par for the final round - it was a very poor final round from Rory and there's no getting away from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

As above.. I'm sure Rory himself would accept that his Sunday performance was shockingly poor considering the lead he had and how he basically threw it away.

That said, his Friday and Saturday rounds were really good and the new putting grip obviously worked with 23 putts on Saturday. Onwards and hopefully upwards.

yipsnomore wrote: »
    Do you play golf ha ha ? That's what happens when you are 5 to 10% off on a windy course with more water than Venice. It wasn't sloppy. Scott played similarly the day before. When your off your off

Same course and conditions for everyone. Scott had two doubles yesterday and still had the skill and mental strength to come back. I know it isn't a popular opinion but there is a weakness in Rory's mental make up and (an even less popular opinion) his caddy does bugger all to help when he is out of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Same course and conditions for everyone. Scott had two doubles yesterday and still had the skill and mental strength to come back. I know it isn't a popular opinion but there is a weakness in Rory's mental make up and (an even less popular opinion) his caddy does bugger all to help when he is out of sorts.

You're really not a JP fan are you?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I wouldn't be blaming his caddie, he's not exactly a psychologist.

Rory's main problem was he was trying to defend a lead instead of increasing it, he's not good defensively, taking irons off the tee might sound sensible but it doesn't work for him, he needed to make a few birdies early on and finish it as early as possible

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

You're really not a JP fan are you?:rolleyes:

In those situations, no I'm not. Maybe JP would be happy to get more involved if Rory would let him; maybe he doesn't know that to do.

Either way, the necessary chemistry when things are going badly is simply not there.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I wouldn't be blaming his caddie, he's not exactly a psychologist.

Rory's main problem was he was trying to defend a lead instead of increasing it, he's not good defensively, taking irons off the tee might sound sensible but it doesn't work for him, he needed to make a few birdies early on and finish it as early as possible

The best caddies are psychologists, or at least the best player/caddy relationships include a bit of it.

Regardless (until afterwards) the only thing that matters this year is the Masters. McIlroys history is one of bouncing back quick. I fully expect him to be in the mix at Augusta.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

The best caddies are psychologists, or at least the best player/caddy relationships include a bit of it.
    More caddy talk...seriously.

Keano wrote:
    More caddy talk...seriously.

Well it is hardly in dispute that Rory is prone to mental lapses and has had a number of implosions when leading or close to the lead.

If you can think of anyone who might be able help him better than the guy carrying his bag and walking beside him, I'd say he would be glad to hear from you.

He bottled a 3 shot lead and was the only player on the first page of the leaderboard who was over par for the final round - it was a very poor final round from Rory and there's no getting away from it.

His playing partner shot 79. DJ

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Exactly wrote: »

that had to of been a factor. it is awful to be playing with someone hacking it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Exactly wrote: »

This must have contributed to Rory's problems. DJ loping around like a sick giraffe, stinking out the course can't have been good for McIlroys concentration.

If people are looking for reasons, I'd say DJ in full meltdown mode beside him couldn't have been much help.

On the 18th DJ put his ball in the water on the left and then Rory pushed his out to the right.

I've noticed before how playing partners can bring players who otherwise have been playing well down a notch or three if they're playing badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

I understand the DJ factor cant have helped. But this should not be an excuse at this level.

He simply did not get it done. End of. The greats would never have lapsed under these circumstances regardless.

• Advertisement

kiers47 wrote: »
    I understand the DJ factor cant have helped. But this should not be an excuse at this level.

He simply did not get it done. End of. The greats would never have lapsed under these circumstances regardless.

End of. :)

The greats have all had bad rounds. There's usually a reason.

Please give an example? All the greats I can think of gave up bigger leads at some stage

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Well it is hardly in dispute that Rory is prone to mental lapses and has had a number of implosions when leading or close to the lead.

If you can think of anyone who might be able help him better than the guy carrying his bag and walking beside him, I'd say he would be glad to hear from you.
    18th hole in the bunker, Willets caddy says clear as day to him you are the one playing the shot what do you see.

18th rough, Scott's caddy says to him if you like that shot, pick your target and go for it, we all know what Scott did.

The player at the end of the day is the boss, something you seem to forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

yipsnomore wrote: »
    Please give an example? All the greats I can think of gave up bigger leads at some stage

I am not talking giving up leads im talking the playing partner playing badly being an excuse.
    It is rubbish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Keano wrote: »
    18th hole in the bunker, Willets caddy says clear as day to him you are the one playing the shot what do you see.

Slightly off topic but I was fairly surprised to hear that. Rich Beem thought it was great so maybe things like that are what the players want to hear. Suppose different strokes for different folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

HighLine wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I was fairly surprised to hear that. Rich Beem thought it was great so maybe things like that are what the players want to hear. Suppose different strokes for different folks.

Every time I hear Willett interviewed he says 'we' played this shot 'we' held this putt. Never says I

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

HighLine wrote: »

Very surprised by it also. That is the last thing I would want to hear if I was asking a caddy, the one person who can advise you, for help on a shot.

Beem good on some stuff but a little too happy clappy at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Remember the time Steve Williams threw away The Open a few years back by letting Scott bogey the last 4 holes or whatever it was? Should have sacked him on the spot, he'll never be a good caddy.

I am not talking giving up leads im talking the playing partner playing badly being an excuse.
    It is rubbish!
    It's not though. I've seen it so many times. Remember Ernie Els three putting from two feet? His playing partners all played badly as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

DJ only fell apart on the back 9, he actually beat McIlroys score on the front 9. Maybe McIlroy dragged down DJ tongue.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement