Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Sums up Rory's problems there - 117 yards out, accepted, he was in rough twice.

But a bogey.

If he gets that together he will be winning these thing comfortably - he still is in the mix doing that sort of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

Sums up Rory's problems there - 117 yards out, accepted, he was in rough twice.

But a bogey.

If he gets that together he will be winning these thing comfortably - he still is in the mix doing that sort of stuff.

Made bogey twice from under 120 yards out.

Do great drivers of the ball make average wedge players and vice versa???????

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

yipsnomore wrote: »
    Made bogey twice from under 120 yards out.

Do great drivers of the ball make average wedge players and vice versa???????

Wedge play was poor last week. Too many full shots with too much spin in my hackers opinion.. would like to see him playing with softer hands

Just an observation

Wedge play was poor last week. Too many full shots with too much spin in my hackers opinion.. would like to see him playing with softer hands

Just an observation

Interesting take cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Shocking three putt on the last.

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »
    Shocking three putt on the last.

Followed mcilroy in fota in 2014 and didn't see the next few months coming where he blitzed everything. Maybe he has to hit a real bad patch before every high.

BUT no way he gets close at Augusta with wedges and putts like today.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Yes but isn't that the point . His weaknesses is most likely early season stuff. ...

No one in the game can improve as quickly as him.

We are big enough golf fans to know , Rory is different. He can just turn it on.

He is there or there about . A slight improvement from his course positions will be dramatic. And when his confidence and focus is up it is another gear there all the time......

He was in the mix only on a final day 4 days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

HighLine wrote: »

Well let's see. We know he's worked on his game since Honda. I'm looking for better wedges. Putting not so sure if he's got a problem that more practice can help. But better wedges for a start.

Not sure what to think of this... fairly big change (left hand low).

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCcxD7cL2Eg

• Advertisement

Whilst his putting has obviously been poor, I think it's the following stat that is costing him shots and additionally putting pressure on his putting.

APPROACHES FROM 100-125 YARDS 24' 6" Rank 187

Contrast the above to the stat below...
    APPROACHES FROM 200-225 YARDS 25' 2" Rank 1

He is nearly closer to the pin from 200+yards than he is from inside 125 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Whilst his putting has obviously been poor, I think it's the following stat that is costing him shots and additionally putting pressure on his putting.

APPROACHES FROM 100-125 YARDS 24' 6" Rank 187

Contrast the above to the stat below...
    APPROACHES FROM 200-225 YARDS 25' 2" Rank 1

This isn't anything new though, been like that for a while. Maybe if he packs in the weights for a few weeks and practices his wedges he'd be better off!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Not sure what to think of this... fairly big change (left hand low).

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCcxD7cL2Eg

It certainly doesn't give the impression of a putter who's confident with his action - a bit desperate maybe?

Really worrry when he sticks on of those P2 putter grips on :P:P:P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

It certainly doesn't give the impression of a putter who's confident with his action - a bit desperate maybe?

Really worrry when he sticks on of those P2 putter grips on :P:P:P

Nothing wrong with the P2 Grips, few new styles now too!! I was shown these at work last week. Was given a free sample to try as well!

379208.jpg

On the one hand, I think that he has won 4 majors and 10+ wins with a normal grip and on the other.. maybe a shakeup will do him good.
    https://twitter.com/JasonSobelESPN/status/705076249673207809

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

Shades of Paddy coming back to haunt us again....

Say it ain't so?!!!

Anatom wrote: »
    Shades of Paddy coming back to haunt us again....

Say it ain't so?!!!

Depends why he is doing it! If it's because he is targeting a specific fault in his stroke then it could be good. If it's because he is developing the Y issue then it could be a very very bad few months for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

yipsnomore wrote: »
    Depends why he is doing it! If it's because he is targeting a specific fault in his stroke then it could be good. If it's because he is developing the Y issue then it could be a very very bad few months for him.
    He mentioned Dave Stockton telling him he had a tendency to move his knee in his stroke. Maybe this is to counteract that.

The < 125 yard approach shots seem to be the big problem though. The five to ten foot putts the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

If only he could read this thread it might solve all of his putting woes.......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭benny79

Well I heard Gary player saying one night when he was commentating on the golf and Spieth was putting that if he could start over again he would definitely put left under right!
    As that it keeps your shoulders more level..

He convinced me to change anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

benny79 wrote: »
    Well I heard Gary player saying one night when he was commentating on the golf and Spieth was putting that if he could start over again he would definitely put left under right!
    As that it keeps your shoulders more level..

He convinced me to change anyway :D

Nicklaus and Faldo also shared this opinion.

If only he could read this thread it might solve all of his putting woes.......:rolleyes:

Too true but at least we are talking about something related to golf. Of course guys like me commenting on the best player in the world is slightly ridiculous. However as a top player you could improve the quality of the discussion by giving an opinion on technique. What is wrong and what you think could work for him.

Great insight there.... a worthy contribution.

It's a discussion forum and posters are discussing his putting which has been poor of late. Don't like it? Don't read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I'm sure Harrington has said it in the past also...

To be honest, I don't see why it's necessary to 'announce' it at all. It will only lead to questions and more focus and scrutiny on it than necessary, which won't make it any easier for Rory.

I'd sooner see Rory just say nothing, go out and play then he can answer all the questions in a nice matter-of-fact kinda manner after his first round when it's inevitably noticed that he has putted left-hand-low.

Announcing it like this makes it "a thing" and pressure on him that he could have avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Yes but Rory is not starting out again - he's well into his career!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

1 under after 2

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Yes but Rory is not starting out again - he's well into his career!!

Well into it, but at least another 10+ years left at the top level you would think. Almost double the time he has been up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    I'm sure Harrington has said it in the past also...

To be honest, I don't see why it's necessary to 'announce' it at all. It will only lead to questions and more focus and scrutiny on it than necessary, which won't make it any easier for Rory.

I'd sooner see Rory just say nothing, go out and play then he can answer all the questions in a nice matter-of-fact kinda manner after his first round when it's inevitably noticed that he has putted left-hand-low.

Announcing it like this makes it "a thing" and pressure on him that he could have avoided.

Did he announce it? It was probably more like a response to a question from a journo, the response to which was announced by tweeters etc. e.g. I see you have been putting cack handed on your practise rounds Rory, how's that going? Yeah, well, I'm going to stick wih it...

So how did his putting look? I didn't catch the coverage.

• Advertisement

Did he announce it? It was probably more like a response to a question from a journo, the response to which was announced by tweeters etc. e.g. I see you have been putting cack handed on your practise rounds Rory, how's that going? Yeah, well, I'm going to stick wih it...

He put up a video of himself practicing putting cack handed so I guess you could say he announced it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement