Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

yipsnomore wrote:
    So how did his putting look? I didn't catch the coverage.

From the bits of golf I seen last night it wasn't great given the standard you expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

If only he could read this thread it might solve all of his putting woes.......:rolleyes:
    Shut the forum down lads, gorfield doesn't like us discussing his buddies.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

You would worry he could head the same direction as Sergio with the putting. He rolled it well last night 3 putted the par 5 but had a lot of good putts just miss the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

mike12 wrote: »
    You would worry he could head the same direction as Sergio with the putting. He rolled it well last night 3 putted the par 5 but had a lot of good putts just miss the hole.

Ah cmon now lets not get excited, sergio was petrified of his putts from 6 feet in.

Rory will be fine imo and people are getting a bit worked up over an off week with the putter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Putting much better today!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Putting much better today!

Absolutely super apart from the second hole

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Seve OB wrote: »

If only he changed his caddy he could be leading by 10 shots at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Just holed a 23 footer to tie the lead. :cool:

ForeRight wrote: »
    If only he changed his caddy he could be leading by 10 shots at this stage

I hope you are joking, but even still, I think the caddy nonsense has been well overdone at this stage so will ya give it a rest

I hope you are joking, but even still, I think the caddy nonsense has been well overdone at this stage so will ya give it a rest

Of course I'm joking!!!

Great putt on the last there for a great round.

I actually love that Rory can be so hot and cold. It's exciting to watch.

• Advertisement

ForeRight wrote: »
    Of course I'm joking!!!

Great putt on the last there for a great round.

I actually love that Rory can be so hot and cold. It's exciting to watch.

Putt on the last was class, as was the one on 15? Par 3.... I'm brutal at remembering holes! He had a few unlucky putts also, the par 4 he drove for it to run into the bunker, his putt there was decent, unlucky not to go in, left a couple in the jaws earlier on so maybe learnt from those about the pace of the greens. His putt on 2 was shocking, and his wedge play was yet again, not even average

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

Putt on the last was class, as was the one on 15? Par 3.... I'm brutal at remembering holes! He had a few unlucky putts also, the par 4 he drove for it to run into the bunker, his putt there was decent, unlucky not to go in, left a couple in the jaws earlier on so maybe learnt from those about the pace of the greens. His putt on 2 was shocking, and his wedge play was yet again, not even average

Really positive today. Really hope this continues and he wins the Masters playing his best stuff. Scott was great today as well.

yipsnomore wrote: »
    Really positive today. Really hope this continues and he wins the Masters playing his best stuff. Scott was great today as well.

The masters will be so tough for him with all the hype and about 10 others who could easily blitz it on their day too.

11 if you include padraig

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Amazing stuff - that he could even go around under par - never mind -7. You'd imagine it would have taken months.

Just goes to show - he is another level from a skill / talent point of view.

It is wrong to ever actually read anything into his form - he is just not like that - he seems to be a Ronnie O'Sullivan type - it is just there when he wants.

Amazing stuff - that he could even go around under par - never mind -7. You'd imagine it would have taken months.

Just goes to show - he is another level from a skill / talent point of view.

It is wrong to ever actually read anything into his form - he is just not like that - he seems to be a Ronnie O'Sullivan type - it is just there when he wants.

I see where you are comin from. They both are quite similar in that regard where they have all the talent, but sometimes they just seem to turn off.

I would say though that Rory does seem much more dedicated to his game than Ronnie does
    And
    Ronnie has much more natural talent than (dare I say it) probably any other sports person.....ever:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

http://www.golfpunkhq.com/news/article/rory-mcilroy-changes-putting-grip

This article has a quote from Rory about the logic behind the change.

Great to see the numbers last night, 11 1-putts & a hole out from the fringe?

Problems solved ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Rors needs to win this if he's to deal Spieth a psychological blow in the world rankings. Jordans putting a bit iffy by his standards atm and Mcilroy needs to stand on his neck a bit. Main worry is Scott who's on fire these times.

My bet is Scotty must be sick he didnt go with a short putter years ago :rolleyes:

Rors needs to win this if he's to deal Spieth a psychological blow in the world rankings. Jordans putting a bit iffy by his standards atm and Mcilroy needs to stand on his neck a bit. Main worry is Scott who's on fire these times.

Disagree. Needs to consolidate his putting confidence over next two rounds. If he is beaten by someone playing really well so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

My bet is Scotty must be sick he didnt go with a short putter years ago :rolleyes:

Great player with an ever better caddy but this aim point method of putting is infuriating to watch and needs to be stamped out of the game. Scott has a phenomenal swing and all round game but I'm finding it increasing difficult to watch him given his putting style. It's all we need now is for every amateur to be sticking fingers in the air and walking along their line determining the slope of the greens. You didn't see the best ever putter in the game (Tiger) at this silly stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Couldn't agree more with the above!! Actually had the misfortune of playing with some clown during the week who was doing it. I didn't half rip him out of it after his first 3 putt.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

yipsnomore wrote:
    Disagree. Needs to consolidate his putting confidence over next two rounds. If he is beaten by someone playing really well so be it.

Poor mindset for any pro to approach a tournament let alone aspiring world number 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Depressing to watch this. Hasn't hit a good shot for 6 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Its bad alright.

But, what he has done in his putting is more important in the bigger picture (IMO).

We can't expect (even Rory) - to do that with with putting and be 100 % with the rest of his game.

I'd be seriously giving him a pass - and really reminding myself what he did with putter in that short a time - is sort of hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

It's hard to watch. Needs something big and a few mishaps from others

A truly awful days work so far for him but in general id be happy at the improvements this week and feel he is trending in the right direction to mount a serious challenge at Augusta.

It a bad sign when the on course commentator runs up to the group ahead.

1 birdie all day. Not what he hoped starting out.

Putting didn't let him down today, not close enough with irons and after finding the water on 8th, it was sand all the way home.

1 birdie all day. Not what he hoped starting out.

Putting didn't let him down today, not close enough with irons and after finding the water on 8th, it was sand all the way home.

No doubt he was out ironed by Scott. Rory just looked tight. He was trying to flight the ball all day. Scott was swinging through free and full.

All the focus on putting had to have an effect elsewhere. It has taken Scott a whole year to come good after a big putting change.

Overall McIlroy has to be happy. He just missed two cuts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

yipsnomore wrote:
    Overall McIlroy has to be happy. He just missed two cuts!

I'd say he is about as far from happy as you can get. It was eerily similar to his collapse at the Masters. He regularly "bounces back" after one bad hole but if the bad run extends beyond a hole or two - he is gone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement