Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    What, in the sense that 5 years ago they hadn't a clue what the symptoms of concussion were and the long term impact on the brain, and they still don't know today?

You think concussion was only discovered in the last five years? Of course we are learning more about all injuries (and treatments) all the time. That doesn't mean that we weren't always aware that both amateur and professional rugby players get injured more often than golfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

How did he play last night?

Pretty well. -4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

Putted very well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Caught an excerpt from a bit of one of his interviews:

Interviewer:
    "So how does it feel to stripe it 320 yards down the middle of the fairway?"

Rory:
    "Normal"

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Caught an excerpt from a bit of one of his interviews:

Interviewer:
    "So how does it feel to stripe it 320 yards down the middle of the fairway?"

Rory:
    "Normal"

:D

Saw that too - class!

Putting poorly so far after 4th hole. Very poor wedge on 3rd forced a bogey

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don't like Rory's stance when he's putting. Far to upright and unbalanced looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I don't like Rory's stance when he's putting. Far to upright and unbalanced looking.

Tweet him and let him know and invoice him for the lesson

Nice round of 4 under par. Just two off the lead right now, but what a bunched leaderboard. It's wide open.

• Advertisement

Only level par for the first five holes. Rory needs to get on his bike. Adam Scott is -4 already!

vienne86 wrote: »
    Only level par for the first five holes. Rory needs to get on his bike. Adam Scott is -4 already!

A tale of two putters.

Three bogies and one eagle on the first 7. :eek:

Encouraging tourney overall from Rory. His putting looked very good at times. I think he got a bit aggressive on the greens in the final round. Maybe it was watching Scott drain absolutely everything for the first 9.

Bodes well for Augusta but Bubba looks good for his third one!

So he didn't catch Jason in the rankings. All in all I think he is playing nicely, and I wouldn't be overly worried about yesterday. Just dissapointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I would be worried about yesterday. I know he will get it together hopefully sooner rather than later but I watched some very bad golf from him over the last few days. The fact that he got to -10 at one stage was a miracle. With a wedge in his hands, he was very poor!

Not where I'd like him to be at this stage but as I said, he will hopefully get it together shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

HighLine wrote: »
    I would be worried about yesterday. I know he will get it together hopefully sooner rather than later but I watched some very bad golf from him over the last few days. The fact that he got to -10 at one stage was a miracle. With a wedge in his hands, he was very poor!

Not where I'd like him to be at this stage but as I said, he will hopefully get it together shortly.

He got to -12 and tied for the lead after his first hole, I think if you're going to slate him, it helps if you have you facts right.

I though he had left those melt down days behind him. It is worrying to see it this close to the Masters where he has had a similar collapse.

First Up wrote: »
    I though he had left those melt down days behind him. It is worrying to see it this close to the Masters where he has had a similar collapse.

Poor pace on a few putts left him chasing it. What happened after was just him trying to make something happen. Riviera wont let you do that! I think this tournament will have reminded him of whats important at Augusta;Hit to the middle of the greens and lag putt well! Whether he can get his feel on the greens back under the pressure of completing the career grand slam who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

To me He went out in the mind he was going for everything putting wise.
    He eagled the first but if that didn't hit the cup it was 6-8ft past too.

It was schoolboy stuff after that. Surely after that eagle and in a tie for the lead after 1 hole you just relax a bit and wait for your chances. Drilling putts miles past the hole when in a tie for the lead with 3/4 of a round to go was silly carry on from him imo

He should go back to titleist and change his caddy quick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

ForeRight wrote: »
    To me He went out in the mind he was going for everything putting wise.
    He eagled the first but if that didn't hit the cup it was 6-8ft past too.

It was schoolboy stuff after that. Surely after that eagle and in a tie for the lead after 1 hole you just relax a bit and wait for your chances. Drilling putts miles past the hole when in a tie for the lead with 3/4 of a round to go was silly carry on from him imo

He should go back to titleist and change his caddy quick

Too much testosterone if you ask me. Pumping iron has left him Pumping putter.
    Saying that, there's nothing that can't be solved by sacking a caddy.

No love for McIlroy here i see!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,771 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think you seen a lad that doesn't really care if he is out of something.

It means nothing.

Just most other pros at that level don't do that.

Is interesting.
    It probably means nothing - but is a bad habit as it is only a few weeks to a major.

PARlance wrote:
    Too much testosterone if you ask me. Pumping iron has left him Pumping putter. Saying that, there's nothing that can't be solved by sacking a caddy.

Not the first time he has lost the head, with JP like a rabbit in the headlights. I know they are good mates but at this stage, Rory's only weakness is his temprament. If his caddy can't help with that, he is bringing nothing to the party.

I think you seen a lad that doesn't really care if he is out of something.

It means nothing.

Just most other pros at that level don't do that.

Is interesting.
    It probably means nothing - but is a bad habit as it is only a few weeks to a major.

I don't think he's ever been any different and thats got him four so far?

First Up wrote: »
    Rory's only weakness is his temprament. If his caddy can't help with that, he is bringing nothing to the party.

I think his wedges and his putting are a problem. He is putting himself into great positions and actually losing shots from there. Sure this is affecting his demeanour but I dont think its as simple as saying when he is playing poorly he should be able to get on with it and win anyway. Perhaps only Tiger could do that in his day. But Tiger putted a lot better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

yipsnomore wrote: »
    I think his wedges and his putting are a problem. He is putting himself into great positions and actually losing shots from there. Sure this is affecting his demeanour but I dont think its as simple as saying when he is playing poorly he should be able to get on with it and win anyway. Perhaps only Tiger could do that in his day. But Tiger putted a lot better!

Agree with this. Really don't subscribe to the caddy arguments. Rory and JP have 4 majors together and 10+ wins and they will have a lot more.

There was a lot of scrappy play and as I said before, his wedge shots were very poor which has a knock on effect of placing additional pressure on putting.

Early days and small issues.. He will back to his winning ways shortly.

HighLine wrote:
    Early days and small issues.. He will back to his winning ways shortly.

I'm sure he will but there have been enough implosions over his career to know that when his head gets scrambled, he isn't great at unscrambling it.

Golf's history is littered with cases where a caddy's intervention has turned a player around at a time of crisis. From the body language and what I've heard anecdotally, I just don't see anything like that in the Rory/JP relationship. Maybe that's the way Rory wants it but I think it hurts him.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Halfprice

Do we think Rory is up there with the great putters... likes of Woods an Stricker. I certainly dont think so. He's not a bad putter but he's not great either. He has all the shots to recover but his putting is probably his weaknesses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Halfprice wrote: »
    Do we think Rory is up there with the great putters... likes of Woods an Stricker. I certainly dont think so. He's not a bad putter but he's not great either. He has all the shots to recover but his putting is probably his weaknesses

Not even on the same planet as the great putters.. when you hit the ball 320+ into the middle of the fairway and then can knock it on to the green with the regularity he can you dont have to be.

Putting for me is decidedly average and streaky.. long game covers it up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement