Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Xander10

OEP wrote: »
    He looks like someone who is in the middle of figuring out his swing again!

3 dropped shots in a row. Needs to steady things.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,859 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

A birdie at 8 was followed by a 3 putt bogey at 9 frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

And now he has already confirmed his very short week with an excellent bogey on 11 after going in water on his second. Such a bad shot with so much more room short and right.

He is just all over the place really but small margins from playing well. 3 putt on 9 was just a complete killer and awful game management.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah usually one bad round costs him and its usually the first round, if he gets through today he'll have a decent chance

Looks like it's the first round killer again.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Just hit the water again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Heading for only his second missed cut ever in Augusta

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

He's yet to post a round of 78.........

• Registered Users Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

He'll went one hell of run in here or it'll be another missed cut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

k4b9mSw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

He has turned into another Pádraig Harrington, Over analysing everything !:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,204 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Currently running sixth last.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Of a field of ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭boardise

Only guys behind him-2 amateurs ,2 pensioners + Mr. Pan !

O-and Westie too who's almost senior.

Ish66 wrote: »
    Of a field of ?

88 golfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Ten years on from the meltdown and still no closer to getting his arm in the sleeves.

May still make the cut but lost on the first day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

You know if - 3 is leading tonight then he's still in with a shout. Needs massive improvement though and I just don't see that happening

DellyBelly wrote: »
    You know if - 3 is leading tonight then he's still in with a shout. Needs massive improvement though and I just don't see that happening
    Even a trip to Lourdes would be no good at this stage :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

He’s playing no where near good enough though.
    Other years when he’d blow the start he could make some sort of comeback but at the moment I just can’t see it.
    Bryson is giving him a run for his money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

It would have been a miracle if he was contending here after how he has been playing and changing coach. Pete Cowen even said don't be expecting miracles at Augusta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭touts

Not a hope. You can predict Rory's rounds in Augusta. They are one excellent round. One terrible round. And two average rounds. He has had the terrible round and now needs the excellent round tomorrow to scrape into the cut. Even if that does happen he will drift away for the last two rounds. Mentally the course destroyed him 10 years ago and he never recovered. I still think he has a couple of majors in him if everything clicks but they won't be a Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Shame Rory has fallen off the pace so much in the last 7 years or so.

I thought Spieth and McIlroy were going to have a generational battle at the top for a long long time.

88 golfers.

Well he is crap then.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

touts wrote: »
    Not a hope. You can predict Rory's rounds in Augusta. They are one excellent round. One terrible round. And two average rounds. He has had the terrible round and now needs the excellent round tomorrow to scrape into the cut. Even if that does happen he will drift away for the last two rounds. Mentally the course destroyed him 10 years ago and he never recovered. I still think he has a couple of majors in him if everything clicks but they won't be a Masters.

The cut line at the start of round 2 will be +2 (Top 50 players + ties). He's 2 shots off that. He has every chance of picking up the shots required to make the cut. It's not going to take something spectacular to scrape through.
    Pussyhands wrote: »
    Shame Rory has fallen off the pace so much in the last 7 years or so.

I thought Spieth and McIlroy were going to have a generational battle at the top for a long long time.

Fallen off the pace? The guy was world no.1 less than 12 months ago. Also, his record in The Masters the last 7 years has been:
    2014: T8
    2015: 4th
    2016: T10
    2017: T7
    2018: T5
    2019: T21
    2020: T5

McIlroy, Spieth, DJ & Koepka are the only multiple major winners in the last 7 years. They are hard to win. Rory's record has been good in majors despite not
    actually winning. I know winning is what counts for these guys but he's been close. He'll win another 3 or 4 before is career is over, you can be sure of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

neddynasty wrote: »
    He'll win another 3 or 4 before is career is over, you can be sure of that.

I think that's really wishful thinking without much supporting evidence. He hasn't won for seven years. The great players (of which Rory is one) have tended to win in spurts over the course of maybe 5-15 years. What they don't tend to do is win a bunch, then have a really long gap and come back to win another bunch. Time is on his side though in fairness, but there's so much competition and Rory just hasn't even properly competed in a long time from my memory. His results look good and may look like he competed but almost always he finishes well after dropping out of contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Probably needs a 67 today to get back into it, seems very unlikely.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

kowloonkev wrote: »
    I think that's really wishful thinking without much supporting evidence. He hasn't won for seven years. The great players (of which Rory is one) have tended to win in spurts over the course of maybe 5-15 years. What they don't tend to do is win a bunch, then have a really long gap and come back to win another bunch. Time is on his side though in fairness, but there's so much competition and Rory just hasn't even properly competed in a long time from my memory. His results look good and may look like he competed but almost always he finishes well after dropping out of contention.

It may very well be wishful thinking. I can't see him not winning any more though. It's like he needs to win one to remind himself how he can win these tournaments and kick on from there. I actually fancy him to win The Open this year. He has 3 more months working with his new coach before then so that's plenty of time to improve his game, which is never that far off being great. The only downside of The Open, it can depend on whether you get the good side of the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭bamayang

I really wouldnt be suprised if the next thing seen from him is retirement. He is rich beyond most peoples wildest imagination and he doesnt seem to have that crazy crazy drive that other have to succeed and win. He seems much more work-life balanced type of person, and now being a father I wonder will he look at this thing and say "I'm out of the top 10, do I really want to commit double the time on practising over the next year to maybe get back to the top, and for what"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Retirement? You're having a laugh, that's just ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭bamayang

etxp wrote: »
    Retirement? You're having a laugh, that's just ridiculous.

I don’t think it is. I imagine it is very hard for him to accept not being one of the best or one of the favourites for every tournament, as he currently isn’t. And faced with the choice of working exceptionally hard at his game for the next number of years or walk away (with a medal haul greater than most), I think he might go with the later option.

* I say all this as a big fan of his, and I hope he doesn’t retire.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement