Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

fullstop wrote: »
    Could you point out where I said that, because I’m pretty sure I didn’t say that?

“No time for sentiment in professional sport I guess”.

Clearly a swipe at lack of loyalty from Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I used to live in a block of flats and one of my neighbours was a cheery alcoholic named Michael Bannon so that's who I think of when I see the name, he was found dead surrounded by Dunnes cans about 10 years ago, they tested his alcohol and found blood in it. Back on topic, he's playing Ryder Cup hero poults tomorrow in a made for sky matchup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Dav010 wrote: »
    That’s my point, you can’t really talk about any of their “potential” anymore once they reached the peak of their careers, will Keopke/spieth etc develop their games above that peak? Doubtful, will Mcilroy improve his game beyond the level achieved 12-14?, doubtful. You could argue that deChambeau has been developing his game and may not have yet reached its potential, time will tell in his case because he is less experienced than the others, and possibly younger.

No doubt all will compete, and probably win, but chances are, not at the level achieved when they won majors in those bursts.

DJ didn’t become world number one or win a major until he was older than McIlroy is now. He has undoubtedly been the best player in the world for at least the last year. There is every chance that McIlroy’s best play is ahead of him. Whether it’ll be enough to win another four majors against the standard of players today isn’t certain but he absolutely has the potential to better than he’s been at any time to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah Bannon is still on the ticket just cocooning and not too interested in traveling. He'll still be there in the background. Cowen will more day to day. He's worked with him previously but now it will be more official. Will likely be a while before any changes take affect but I'd expect him to improve over time. Interesting to see how he gets on against the postman tomorrow.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

tobsey wrote: »
    DJ didn’t become world number one or win a major until he was older than McIlroy is now. He has undoubtedly been the best player in the world for at least the last year. There is every chance that McIlroy’s best play is ahead of him. Whether it’ll be enough to win another four majors against the standard of players today isn’t certain but he absolutely has the potential to better than he’s been at any time to date.

What could you possibly be basing that on? Is he a better player now than he was 7 years ago? What gives you such confidence that his “best play is ahead of him”?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

“No time for sentiment in professional sport I guess”.

Clearly a swipe at lack of loyalty from Rory.

“Are you saying that he is obligated to stay with Bannon”

Again, not what I said.

And not a swipe at lack of loyalty. He’s had Bannon coaching him for 23 years, in which time he’s changed managers, caddy, etc., while Bannon remained the one constant around him. I would have said that he’s been quite loyal actually, but if Bannon was suddenly out of the picture that would have been tough on him after all that time spent coaching a player since he was a kid (The Big Easy has since clarified that isn’t the case).

But sure you know what I meant more than I do apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭boardise

Dav010 wrote: »
    Eh no, potential is capability to develop into something in the future. What you are alluding to is playing to a level achieved in the past, that is not potential.

I think you've developed an unnecessary semantic hang-up about the concept 'potential'.
    Potential really means no more than 'possibility' . There's no age limit implicit.

What Rory fans are hoping is that he can raise his game above his current level because they believe he still possesses the basic ability which -if any mental or physical issues are removed or reformed -can enable him to get better results i.e. he has the potential to get better than he is now or ,as stated in the post above , he has the capability to develop into something (better ) in the future.

I'm no too bothered about him being world no 1. I'd just like to see him in contention in the back 9 of the majors a bit more often and hopefully pick up a few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Rory 2 down against poulter after 4 and just hit oob on the 5th. Hopefully this match is *NOT* over right away :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Poulter very steady early on McIlroy struggling big time, going to take a while before any changes take affect.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Hopefully this match is over right away :(

What does this mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The camera panning to his first tee shot sitting at the bottom of somebodys swimming pool was pretty funny tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

4 down now. There is not one part of his game that is functional at the moment. Sad to see such a rapid decline from a once great golfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

I'm sure he'll get it back together soon, doubtful it will be in time for the Masters though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

Poulter seems to be playing some stuff though too

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

OEP wrote: »
    Poulter seems to be playing some stuff though too

He is the ultimate match player. Hit a shot from 266 long iron and left himself 6 foot eagle putt. His putting is very good too. I dont know how he doesn't compete more in traditional stroke play formats. Maybe he is not long enough off the tee.

Hacking about out there today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Just chipped from one side of the green to the other side into the water.

He's looked completely lost here and at the Players

Easy to kick a man when he is down and obviously struggling with his game at the moment. Keep taking cheap shots at him though if it makes you happy.

Easy to kick a man when he is down and obviously struggling with his game at the moment. Keep taking cheap shots at him though if it makes you happy.

You think he is reading boards?

• Advertisement

Not sure if that's directed at me but I'm a big fan of his.

There's nothing wrong with calling it as I see it though and he's looked completely out of sorts the last few weeks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    4 down now. There is not one part of his game that is functional at the moment. Sad to see such a rapid decline from a once great golfer.
    A rapid decline ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭benny79

2 bad tournaments Jesus his career is over! :rolleyes: he was in contention less then 4 weeks ago.. Golf is hard.

benny79 wrote: »
    2 bad tournaments Jesus his career is over! :rolleyes: he was in contention less then 4 weeks ago.. Golf is hard.

That's what I find strange, he seemed to be playing well until the Players. Bar the usual questions over his wedge play etc it was business as usual.

I know many have cited the fact that he started chasing distance but as far as I know that was in October, so why would it only manifest for the first time nearly 6 months later?

I assume it's just a blip

Not sure if that's directed at me but I'm a big fan of his.

There's nothing wrong with calling it as I see it though and he's looked completely out of sorts the last few weeks.

Not directed at you or anyone in particular. Just happened to come after your comment.

It's just the nature of this thread I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Poulter loves this format . Not a disgrace he lost to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭benny79

blip.. mental tiredness, personal life who knows. In fairness most tournaments he enters he has been finishing in the top 10 or thereabouts. He is human after all but you would swear he's a robot they way some people go on about him.

And I dont even like him .lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Exactly wrote: »
    What does this mean?

Typo. Meant to say hope it's *not* over right away!
    Sadly it was, 6 & 5 hammering. Worst slump I've seen from Rory, hopefully he can get his game back.

Not directed at you or anyone in particular. Just happened to come after your comment.

It's just the nature of this thread I'm afraid.

No worries, thought that might have been the case alright

I wonder how working with Pete Cowan will turn out for him, it'll be interesting to see what happens

• Advertisement

No worries, thought that might have been the case alright

I wonder how working with Pete Cowan will turn out for him, it'll be interesting to see what happens

Hopefully it will have a positive impact for him but it is very hard trying to figure it out in the middle of tournament play. He probably hasn't even had a chance to work properly with him yet. Looks like his head is melted at the moment. We have all been there as have many of the other top players in the not so recent past. That's what makes it such a great game to watch and sport to play.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement