Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

In control of his match today and not a single post here. Seems to be playing a good bit better than yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Unfortunately I think he is effectively out with Poulter up

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I think he is effectively out with Poulter up

Not if Poulter loses tomorrow and he wins. If level of points then it's a sudden death play off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭Augme

Not if Poulter loses tomorrow and he wins. If level of points then it's a sudden death play off.

Hard to him losing tomorrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

In control of his match today and not a single post here. Seems to be playing a good bit better than yesterday.

I’ve been switching over and back, very little coverage of his match to comment on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Exactly wrote: »

it be a 3 way play off?

if 2 tie, is it just game between that 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭boardise

Augme wrote: »
    Hard to him losing tomorrow though.

Matchplay can be a total gamble as we know and features hosts of 'form' upsets.

Way I figure it is this .
    It's like one round of a four round strokeplay tournament. So let's say a high ranked player-X- will be likely to have three good rounds and maybe a poor(ish) one.
    A lower ranked player- Y- might have three moderate rounds and a good one.
    If Y's good round turns up opposite X's poor round -then that's that in matchplay -even though X might finish well ahead of Y in four rounds of stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Serious bottle shown yesterday to bounce back.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

He's not without a chance today but either way its another competitive round head to head which will tell him more about where he is at.

He hit 11 practice bags of balls after the match with Poulter so we can't acuse him of not putting the work in on the range. As he said himself the game is coming a bit harder to him at the moment and you only ever get out of something what you put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Hard to See Poulter losing to Griffin but you never know. Rory can only worry about his own match anyway which wont be easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/rory-mcilroy-s-visit-to-see-tiger-woods-opens-his-eyes-to-where-his-focus-should-be-1.4530502

Surprised no one has picked up on this yet.

Rory went to visit Tiger recently.

".. it was while there that something hit McIlroy for the first time. Woods’s trophy cabinet contained only those trophies featuring the 15 Major titles he’d won.

“I said, ‘that’s really cool. Where are all the others?’ He said, ‘I don’t know’. I go, ‘What?’ He said, ‘Yeah, my mom has some, and a few are in the office and a few are wherever’.”

McIlroy continued the story: “I was driving home and I was thinking, ‘that’s all he cared about’, so how easy that must have felt for him to win all the others. That was just all that was in my mind, he talked about these are the four weeks that matter . . . so, I’m just thinking to myself, how easy must that have felt for him if all he cared about were four weeks a year. The other stuff must have been like practice. So, that’s a cool perspective to have, right?” "

It's an interesting insight into Rory's mindset. Depending on your point of view it could tell you how important Tiger regards the majors compared to other events and compared to how Rory does, or how Rory doesn't elevate the majors above the other events.

Not sure Rory even agrees with himself at times, says one thing does another.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Pdoghue wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/rory-mcilroy-s-visit-to-see-tiger-woods-opens-his-eyes-to-where-his-focus-should-be-1.4530502

".. it was while there that something hit McIlroy for the first time. Woods’s trophy cabinet contained only those trophies featuring the 15 Major titles he’d won.

“I said, ‘that’s really cool. Where are all the others?’ He said, ‘I don’t know’. I go, ‘What?’ He said, ‘Yeah, my mom has some, and a few are in the office and a few are wherever’.”

McIlroy continued the story: “I was driving home and I was thinking, ‘that’s all he cared about’, so how easy that must have felt for him to win all the others. That was just all that was in my mind, he talked about these are the four weeks that matter . . . so, I’m just thinking to myself, how easy must that have felt for him if all he cared about were four weeks a year. The other stuff must have been like practice. So, that’s a cool perspective to have, right?” "

It's an interesting insight into Rory's mindset. Depending on your point of view it could tell you how important Tiger regards the majors compared to other events and compared to how Rory does, or how Rory doesn't elevate the majors above the other events.

To me it appears Rory puts himself under pressure to win every tournament. If he took Tigers approach, he may relax more during non-major tournaments and may end up winning more.

Tiger still wanted to win every tournament he played in, he might have been more prepared or focused for those 4 weeks in the year but he still went out to win every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Was Mcilroy the only person on earth to not know that only the majors mattered to Woods?

If he gets off to a good start and shoots level par or better then who knows but he needs to avoid being too aggressive on the first day and taking him out of the competition.

The course is playing really tough at the minute and it's going to be a slog, level par round would be good. Go after the par 5's, pars good score elsewhere.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Trampas

Even though everyone knew it I don’t think it should have been said. It comes across disrespectful for tournaments. Paid millions to turn up and he’s all smiles and great comments. Goes home with trophy and literally throws it in the bin. I wonder what Jack and Arnie feel to hear comments like that.

Full masters coverage won't start until 8pm but thankfully he's in the featured groups on sky.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Trampas wrote: »
    Even though everyone knew it I don’t think it should have been said. It comes across disrespectful for tournaments. Paid millions to turn up and he’s all smiles and great comments. Goes home with trophy and literally throws it in the bin. I wonder what Jack and Arnie feel to hear comments like that.

I doubt if Arnie feels anything at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Have a listen to Giftgrub's masters preview from this morning. Their comparison of Dustin & Rory's mental game is great.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/JustinRayGolf/status/1379959645347930112?s=19

This suggests that it's approach play as opposed to putting that's his achillies heel at agusta

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I mean the script is pretty locked in here already right?

He will have one very good and one terrible round today and tomorrow in no particular order. Then cruise through the weekend and finish as a non-competitive Top 10 where you didn't even realise he was still on the course until he pops up as T8 thru 15 holes on Sunday night.

Is everyone ready for Rory to get our hopes up to then mess it all up on one hole?

Frisbee wrote: »
    I mean the script is pretty locked in here already right?

He will have one very good and one terrible round today and tomorrow in no particular order. Then cruise through the weekend and finish as a non-competitive Top 10 where you didn't even realise he was still on the course until he pops up as T8 thru 15 holes on Sunday night.

Yeah usually one bad round costs him and its usually the first round, if he gets through today he'll have a decent chance

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

This suggests that it's approach play as opposed to putting that's his achillies heel at agusta

I think its his approach play everywhere but it hurts more at Augusta because that's what the course design is there to test.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

Full masters coverage won't start until 8pm but thankfully he's in the featured groups on sky.

I thought the featured groups were Koepka's and Johnson's? Where did you see that?

Blud wrote: »
    I thought the featured groups were Koepka's and Johnson's? Where did you see that?

Maybe you're right, saw earlier he was in a featured group but checked again and its different. Better download the masters app.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

It's pretty well universally accepted that it's his approach play which is his biggest issue, just exacerbated at Augusta

First Up wrote: »
    I think its his approach play everywhere but it hurts more at Augusta because that's what the course design is there to test.

100%. Duval was saying Augusta looks for a champion with precision and great course management. If you listen to the US channels they don't even really consider Mcilroy a contender around Augusta any more. There not going to say it outright but its obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

He looks like someone who is in the middle of figuring out his swing again!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement