Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

fullstop wrote: »
    Do you play golf yourself? If you do, you’ll know that some courses just don’t, for whatever reason. But it could also just be the fact that you can’t be on your game every week that’s he’s having a couple of quiet weeks.

Single figure handicap, if that makes a difference to having an opinion.

The poster said these three courses don’t play to his strengths, what Id like to know is how or why he thinks they don’t play to the world No.1. I’m aware form can go through peaks sand troughs, but that is not what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Dav010 wrote: »

It doesn’t.

Just knowing the Sport beyond absolute casual allows an educated opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Not particularly, no. But you need to at least play the game to understand why some courses just don’t suit you or suit your eye, and it doesn’t have to make sense why they don’t.

fullstop wrote: »
    Not particularly, no. But you need to at least play the game to understand why some courses just don’t suit you or suit your eye, and it doesn’t have to make sense why they don’t.

You could say that as an excuse for any course you play badly on.

So how did these three courses not play to the strengths of the world No.1 as he/she stared? I’m genuinely interested in Mantis’s opinion of what strengths he has, that don’t lend themselves to these three courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭abff

So how did these three courses not play to the strengths of the world No.1 as he/she stared?

Just trying to understand the point you’re making. Is your contention that the being the world number one means that you play equally well on all types of course?

• Advertisement

abff wrote: »
    Just trying to understand the point you’re making. Is your contention that the being the world number one means that you play equally well on all types of course?

Not at all, I am asking the poster which strengths the best golfer in the world at present has that don’t suit these courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

You could say that as an excuse for any course you play badly on.

So how did these three courses not play to the strengths of the world No.1 as he/she stared? I’m genuinely interested in Mantis’s opinion of what strengths he has, that don’t lend themselves to these three courses.

I dont think anyone can make the case the courses didnt suit him. Quite apart from the word no1 should behaving the skills to be good whereever he plays, on the same courses, the other top golfers and big drive based guys like Johnson, Keopka, Dechambeau, Thomas, Watson, Reed have all done better than him, so dont see how that could stand up. Its not as if Rory is known for his wedge play, chipping, putting, or links type courses skills. So if not these three, then what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭rooney30

7000yrd par 70
    7100yrd par 71.
    6841yrd par 70.

Why wouldn’t they play to the world No.1s strengths?

I think it’s clear to everyone here that the point Mantis was making is that mcilroys driving advantage is somewhat negated in shorter narrower courses where the big stick does not come into play as much . I’d be confident that is obvious to you as well !

rooney30 wrote: »
    I think it’s clear to everyone here that the point Mantis was making is that mcilroys driving advantage is somewhat negated in shorter narrower courses where the big stick does not come into play as much .

Yet less negating for the likes of Johnson, Keopka, Dechambeau, Thomas, Watson, Reed ?

I think it’s clear to everyone here that the point Mantis was making is that mcilroys driving advantage is somewhat negated in shorter narrower courses where the big stick does not come into play as much . I’d be confident that is obvious to you as well !

Big hitters don’t perform well on these courses?

• Advertisement

Big hitters don’t perform well on these courses?

I dont know whether they do or they don’t but thats the point Mantis was getting at , which I think was obvious to all . Maybe he can confirm

Yet less negating for the likes of Johnson, Keopka, Dechambeau, Thomas, Watson, Reed ?

The assumption is that shorter courses level the field somewhat . Doesn’t mean that big hitters won’t do well there Like I said I don’t know if this is borne out in the stats but intuitively most would believe this to be the case

The assumption is that shorter courses level the field somewhat . Doesn’t mean that big hitters won’t do well there Like I said I don’t know if this is borne out in the stats but intuitively most would believe this to be the case

Considering the increase in driving distances on tour, surely that isn’t the only strength Mantis believes doesn’t suit these courses. Hitting the ball long off the tee isn’t as big an advantage over the field as it used to be. Other big hitters seem to adjust pretty well to shorter courses.

Just having a read through some reports of the course, River Highland doesn’t appear to have especially narrow fairways and tends to have low scores.

I dont think anyone can make the case the courses didnt suit him. Quite apart from the word no1 should behaving the skills to be good whereever he plays, on the same courses, the other top golfers and big drive based guys like Johnson, Keopka, Dechambeau, Thomas, Watson, Reed have all done better than him, so dont see how that could stand up. Its not as if Rory is known for his wedge play, chipping, putting, or links type courses skills. So if not these three, then what ?

Not know for his chipping? I would consider him an outstanding chipper of a golf ball , one of the best out there in fact . Not known for his links skills ? Well he is a past open champion and holds the course record at Portrush so you might credit him with some level of links proficiency surely .

Not know for his chipping? I would consider him an outstanding chipper of a golf ball , one of the best out there in fact .

2019 : 149th
    2018 : 20th
    2017 : 91st
    2016 : 71st

I dont doubt you do, but it isnt supported by the facts. His rankings from the fringe are as above for the last four years. So clearly, for a top 10 golfer the reality is that its an area where he loses to his competition, and ranks pretty poorly in fact. PGA Tour figures and all. That not one of the best chippers type figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

SG: Around the Green would probably be a fairer reflection on short game than those stats in fairness.

BoldReason wrote: »
    SG: Around the Green would probably be a fairer reflection on short game than those stats in fairness.

But I was referring to chipping, not bunker play, etc.

But I was referring to chipping, not bunker play, etc.

“Around the green , proximity to the hole average “ is the stat id be looking at to reflect chipping
    8th in 2019
    9th in 2018
    As I said , one of the best

“Around the green , proximity to the hole average “ is the stat id be looking at to reflect chipping
    8th in 2019
    9th in 2018
    As I said , one of the best

But for chipping stats you shouldn't look at those to reflect chipping. The Pga call chipping 'from the fringe' which are the stats I wrote. 'Around the green' numbers include pitches, sand shots, from the rough, and other locations. So his overall short game is OK. But his chipping itself is a weakness. And a long long way from one of the best what ever you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Another good solid week, Top 11, 4 rounds in the 60's is always good with a 63 thrown in.

Still a long way off his best but he's trending in the right direction.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Another good solid week, Top 11, 4 rounds in the 60's is always good with a 63 thrown in.

Still a long way off his best but he's trending in the right direction.

Four rounds in the 60’s, but the course doesn’t play to his strengths? You are being harsh on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

This thread has gone to the dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

OEP wrote: »

FACT

OEP wrote: »

And the Lowry one. If people actually believe what they write then their Golf knowledge is quite limited. Some posts try to get as many different digs in at the player as possible.

Unfortunately it's the world we live in.

And the Lowry one. If people actually believe what they write then their Golf knowledge is quite limited. Some posts try to get as many different digs in at the player as possible.

Unfortunately it's the world we live in.

And there in lies the fundamental problem with this thread. Some posters believe that every negative post is a dig/personal/hateful. You know what?, sometimes McIlroy says/does/plays bad and deserves a bit of flack.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

The thread over the last while has had it's issues. Certain posters, some who are no longer allowed post in this thread and forum in general were hell bent on derailing the thread. Few things to address, just because someone doesn't like Rory that doesn't mean they are immediately a troll, stop throwing that word around. Secondly, coming into this thread posters should expect very robust defence of the man who the thread is about but that doesn't mean other posters cannot questions thing he says or does on or off the course. However, us mods will not stand by and let it be a free for all. As of right now, any posts deemed to breach any of the charter will be removed and/or carded.

But for chipping stats you shouldn't look at those to reflect chipping. The Pga call chipping 'from the fringe' which are the stats I wrote. 'Around the green' numbers include pitches, sand shots, from the rough, and other locations. So his overall short game is OK. But his chipping itself is a weakness. And a long long way from one of the best what ever you say.

‘From the fringe’ most likely includes putts from off the green etc. though, if, as the name would suggest, it excludes chips from the rough. So SG around the green probably is a better measure. Just because the ball is in the rough doesn’t mean it’s not a chip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Fred_

Stroke gained around the green for Mcilroy for last 4 years - 16th, 19th, 18th, 70th

Lowry is widely regarded is having an exceptional short game. His ranks - 70th, n/r, 122nd, 174th, 58th

Time to look past the comments of lazy commentators and look to the stats for the real story. Mcilroy's short game is underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Fred_ wrote:
    Time to look past the comments of lazy commentators and look to the stats for the real story. Mcilroy's short game is underrated.

Is it?
    He started with a birdie yesterday, then took 5 from about thirty yards on the 2nd. Took the wind out of his sails pretty fast.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    Is it?
    He started with a birdie yesterday, then took 5 from about thirty yards on the 2nd. Took the wind out of his sails pretty fast.

So one hole defines someone’s performance over the year? Todd took 5 to get down from about 5 yards yesterday, including a shank, but I wouldn’t look at that and just write him off as having a crap short game...you might but each to their own.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement