Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

Dav010 wrote: »
    McIlroy has a degenerative spine condition, it is one of the reasons he has to build up his upper body so much a couple of years ago, and it is likely why he will eventually have to change his swing when he is older.

What degenerative spine condition does he have ?

McIlroy has a degenerative spine condition, it is one of the reasons he has to build up his upper body so much a couple of years ago, and it is likely why he will eventually have to change his swing when he is older.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,027 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

rooney30 wrote: »

The one he said he was diagnosed with.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-central-blog/mcilroy-working-out-protect-his-back-spine%3famp

Ah ok . Swinging a golf so much and so fast as a young fella caused some disc issues because the rest of his body wasn’t strong enough to keep up. This would happen to most people . He solved this problem by working on his core strength and more general gym work . A degenerative spine condition is a bit of a stretch , it’s good for a Golf Channel headline article though

Ah ok . Swinging a golf so much and so fast as a young fella caused some disc issues because the rest of his body wasn’t strong enough to keep up. This would happen to most people . He solved this problem by working on his core strength and more general gym work . A degenerative spine condition is a bit of a stretch , it’s good for a Golf Channel headline article though

It literally says that McIlroy learned he had the condition, he goes into more details in other articles about the degenerative problem with one of his discs which caused him to miss tournaments. It isn’t a golf channel conspiracy. Any athlete would find it difficult to maintain strength and conditioning at that level as they get older.

• Advertisement

It literally says that McIlroy learned he had the condition, he goes into more details in other articles about the degenerative problem with one of his discs which caused him to miss tournaments. It isn’t a golf channel conspiracy. Any athlete would find it difficult to maintain strength and conditioning at that level as they get older.

Ah sure . He need not worry Davo, I know you’ll be there on the 18 th someday with a wheelchair to give him a helping hand when he eventually does breakdown

Ah sure . He need not worry Davo, I know you’ll be there on the 18 th someday with a wheelchair to give him a helping hand when he eventually does breakdown

I have it ready.

The golf channel article was lifted from one on the PGA tour official website.

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2015/04/02/behind-the-scenes-of-rory-mcilroy-at-mens-health-cover-shoot.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Wondered what I would log in to read this evening...his spine is about to pack it in apparently.

Carry on folks.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Wondered what I would log in to read this evening...his spine is about to pack it in apparently.

Carry on folks.

Go back a page or two and you will get a clearer understanding of the context of the conversation. Swing changes as a golfer gets older to protect their body and ensure they stay at the top of the game.

Oh, and he had a pretty good round today as well, currently lying tied fourth and looking well placed to have a good weekend.

Go back a page or two and you will get a clearer understanding of the context of the conversation. Swing changes as a golfer gets older to protect their body and ensure they stay at the top of the game.

Oh, and he had a pretty good round today as well, currently lying tied fourth and looking well placed to have a good weekend.

Correct , two good rounds and well placed for the weekend . Truly inspirational stuff. The North American Spine Assiciation will be so proud

• Advertisement

Correct , two good rounds and well placed for the weekend . Truly inspirational stuff. The North American Spine Assiciation will be so proud

Actually the correct name is the North American Spine Society (NASS) if that is the one you are referring to.

https://www.spine.org/

You may know more about them then I do, which admittedly is nothing, but I’m sure they could use him as an example of how physical exercise and conditioning can help to overcome back issues. Good call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Watching Rory and Bryson go head to head over the last 2 days was glorious. They have taken driving to a new level. We are lucky to have such a talent as Rory in our game.

I for one love it when he is competing on the leaderboard. Don't get all the hate for him. He owes us nothing. If you truly love golf then you can only admire his achievements.

Actually the correct name is the North American Spine Society (NASS) if that is the one you are referring to.

https://www.spine.org/

You may know more about them then I do, which admittedly is nothing, but I’m sure they could use him as an example of how physical exercise and conditioning can help to overcome back issues. Good call.

They sure could.
    In fact I don’t think Rory has gotten enough credit in golf or international sport generally for getting to where he has carrying the weight of this degenerative and debilitating condition . It’s truly remarkable

They sure could.
    In fact I don’t think Rory has gotten enough credit in golf or international sport generally for getting to where he has carrying the weight of this degenerative and debilitating condition . It’s truly remarkable

You are right, spinal issues can indeed be debilitating, particularly with golfers for obvious reasons, Tigers career has been a testament to that. The fact that it was identified early and McIlroy took steps to protect his back, as he has said in interviews, should help to protect him and give longevity to his career. People with back problems often have to carry that “weight” for a lifetime, I’m glad to see you now understand why having a powerful swing can stress the back/spine. Every day is a school day for all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

All over the place on the 1st, way right off the tee then hits it through the green. Tricky shot back to 12 feet and missed the putt for par. Poor start.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Terrible bogey on 4. Miles up the middle off drive, misses green with a wedge. Doesn't get up and down, really should have. Very frustrating to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Don't get all the hate for him. He owes us nothing.

Where do you see the hate for him ? I dont think theres any. I just see all in agreement that hes a great golfer and Ireland's best ever no question about it. And loads hoping he wins loads more. Why do you even think you see hate for him. As I said, those who think hes an underachiever actually rate him higher than the ones who dont think hes underachieving.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Where do you see the hate for him ? I dont think theres any. I just see all in agreement that hes a great golfer and Ireland's best ever no question about it. And loads hoping he wins loads more. Why do you even think you see hate for him. As I said, those who think hes an underachiever actually rate him higher than the ones who dont think hes underachieving.

You obviously haven't been on this thread too long

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Game is a bit off last 2 days. Long game is very loose but doing well with the short game and putting.

Remind me wrote: »
    You obviously haven't been on this thread too long

Should be easy to back up the statement so with a few examples.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Cut the crap all of you in this thread. It will be locked for good the way people are carrying on.

Yesterday was not good, no question. Where the field is shooting -2 to -9, then he is effectively, with old timer Phil, at the bottom of the pack of those who went out yesterday with a realistic shot at the trophey. So while Friday was acceptable, he managed the few bad shot and held it together, yesterday he was off the pace and is now an also ran for this weekend. But on the other hand, these tournaments really are nothing for McIlroy. They just wont change his general position in the game, and its the majors that matter, so its what does he do when we get to the USPGA that matters, like for Tiger who is sensible keeping away from just playing run of the mill tournaments and saving himself for the busy Autumn schedual where there are real titles to play in.
    So you can say its normal service from McIlroy at the moment. Top notch rounds, but too may mediocre ones. And theres no point talking about the corona, thats the same for them all. Maybe these tournaments damage his fragile mental state and he should just play fewer of them, then hed have less of a sense of how his game is going into a major and it might free him up a bit to really give his best without feeling he has to up his game. A string of finishes in the 30s and 40s would do anyone any good mentally. So the fewer the better, and its not as if his game needs practice, he has all that. Its just about getting his mind in order and changing his approach, that why a new caddy, while not in itself a factor, could be just enough of a mental change to jolt him out of the rut.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

I’d say he will shoot in the low 60’s today. No pressure on and just playing more relaxed. Ultimately he is going to be very disappointed with his last 3 weeks. Showed plenty signs his game was in good shape only to fall short in one or two rounds with silly errors

• Registered Users Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Definitely not back up to speed even if the 3 courses didn't play to his strengths. The break came at the wrong time for him.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Definitely not back up to speed even if the 3 courses didn't play to his strengths. The break came at the wrong time for him.

Nonsense. It came at the same time for them all. He is a healthy fit lad, OK, passed his prime but still a few years short of really weakening, so theres no excuses. Hes just off the pace, but we know he can turn that quickly. We need to see how he responds now to three mediocre tournaments, where even the like of Poulter has been outperforming him. Does is rattle him. Or does he nuckle down and, ride it out, and build towards the PGA. Also, every shot matters in the battle for world number one which is something, with some many hot young guns looking for that slot, he needs to fight all the way no matter what. There still a touch of him just wishing he was on a plane out of there in the body language though when it not going his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I’d say he will shoot in the low 60’s today. No pressure on and just playing more relaxed. Ultimately he is going to be very disappointed with his last 3 weeks. Showed plenty signs his game was in good shape only to fall short in one or two rounds with silly errors

Not looking likely . 1 over through 5 holes last I heard

even if the 3 courses didn't play to his strengths..

7000yrd par 70
    7100yrd par 71.
    6841yrd par 70.

Why wouldn’t they play to the world No.1s strengths?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

7000yrd par 70
    7100yrd par 71.
    6841yrd par 70.

Why wouldn’t they play to the world No.1s strengths?

So the only measure of a course playing to someone’s strengths is the length of the course and the par? Jeez every day’s a school day on here.

fullstop wrote: »
    So the only measure of a course playing to someone’s strengths is the length of the course and the par? Jeez every day’s a school day on here.

That is why I asked, thank you for making my point, the length and par are the same for everyone, the poster said the three courses don’t play to his strengths, how so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

That is why I asked, thank you for making my point, the length and par are the same for everyone, the poster said the three courses don’t play to his strengths, how so?

Do you play golf yourself? If you do, you’ll know that some courses just don’t, for whatever reason. But it could also just be the fact that you can’t be on your game every week that’s he’s having a couple of quiet weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement