Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Rory was busy winning majors when he were younger.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

GreeBo wrote: »
    He missed them because of covid... Sorry I mean trump... Oh no wait, he likes trump again now right?
    Maybe he had a temporary toothache, or the Olympics was bothering him, perhaps his pet mosquito caught Zika and he was distracted?
    Alas we will never know, unless some of the European tour players tell us

Not helping the thread with this type of posting whatsoever. Please don’t derail threads. Next time it will be a permanent thread banning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Never ending.

What he said about Fleetwood and Molinari was ill considered in light of other players now pulling out due to similar concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Dav010 wrote: »
    What he said about Fleetwood and Molinari was ill considered in light of other players now pulling out due to similar concerns.

I'm sure Fleetwood and Molinari can stand up for themselves. Not that McIlroy even said them anyway.

Rather than still being hung up on last week's press conference, what did you think of his round today? 63 is pretty good.

Or Tiger. He knows the business end of the season is from August to November, so no point taking any risks at the moment for tournaments that are nothing to the likes of him.

• Advertisement

I'm sure Fleetwood and Molinari can stand up for themselves. Not that McIlroy even said them anyway.

Rather than still being hung up on last week's press conference, what did you think of his round today? 63 is pretty good.

He was asked directly about the two of them missing the tournament.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/golf/article-8433391/amp/McIlroy-blasts-Tommy-Fleetwood-Francesco-Molinari-not-competing-PGA-Tour.html

I doubt Tommy and Francesco will be joining us on boards so I see no reason why posters shouldn’t have an opinion on this.

To be honest, I don’t watch a lot of Thursday rounds except for the majors, he was playing while I was at work. Certainly a very good score though, he also had a very good first round last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,042 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Are you the Rory police? Why can't people talk about something that he said last week when there is very significant, related information this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Are you the Rory police? Why can't people talk about something that he said last week when there is very significant, related information this week?

I was curious as to what he thought about his 63. Felt it was weird logging on here following a 63 just to see people bringing up old comments and seemingly ignoring the actual golf, I see you got a warning for it too.

As another poster said, he could go out and birdie every hole only to find posters on here finding some negative to write about instead.

This is a forum about golf but a few people on here seem to be more interested in the off course stuff. Odd enough. But sure whatever people are into I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fred_ wrote: »
    Underachieving?

The man has won 4 majors, World golf championships, World matchplay, Players championship, Wentworth PGA, Euro order of merit, 2 FedEx cups, US tour championship, Euro tour championship (DP World). He's played well in Ryder cups. All this during the most competitive era ever (depth of fields etc.)

He has won every big event in Europe and the US except the Masters. He has won events that critics would say don't suit his one dimensional bombers game (British Open, Players, Wentworth etc.).

Mcllroy will never do enough to satisfy the begrudgers.

He's won 4 majors - well he should have won 8
    If he won 8 - well he should have won 12.
    He's won 2 Fed Ex's - well he should have won 4
    He's number one in the world for 100 weeks - well he should have been number 1 for 200 weeks.

He's already the best Irish golfer this island has produced and is ever likely to produce for a long time.

He's just turned 31 and he's already won more than any other Irish player. He's got a Hall of Fame career already. Not bad for a man just turned 31!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

It was very very good, not just not bad, for a man of 25 though. Which is the thing.
    Can't understand why his supporters don't think he's good enough to do better myself.

• Advertisement

While some tack on a late one, or there is always the few lad picking up their first one late in the day, the early thirties is the age when the multimajor winners pretty much stop winning them: Palmer, Woods, Faldo, Ballesteros, Snead, Trevino, Watson. So 31 is closer to the done and dusted side, than much more yet to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

While some tack on a late one, or there is always the few lad picking up their first one late in the day, the early thirties is the age when the multimajor winners pretty much stop winning them: Palmer, Woods, Faldo, Ballesteros, Snead, Trevino, Watson. So 31 is closer to the done and dusted side, than much more yet to come.

Snead won every single one of his majors after the age of 30.
    Trevino also won 5/6 in his 30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Faldo won 4 of his 6 in his 30's and tiger 7 in his 30's or older

Very different game now anyway with the conditioning most to players are doing

Still plenty of time for Rory I wouldnt be surprised if he went on to win another 2 or 3.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I was curious as to what he thought about his 63. Felt it was weird logging on here following a 63 just to see people bringing up old comments and seemingly ignoring the actual golf, I see you got a warning for it too.

As another poster said, he could go out and birdie every hole only to find posters on here finding some negative to write about instead.

This is a forum about golf but a few people on here seem to be more interested in the off course stuff. Odd enough. But sure whatever people are into I suppose.

Yes people are interested in more than just the golf. Thats human nature.

Just look at the Conor McGregor thread.

Mcllroy will never do enough to satisfy the begrudgers.

He's won 4 majors - well he should have won 8
    If he won 8 - well he should have won 12.
    He's won 2 Fed Ex's - well he should have won 4
    He's number one in the world for 100 weeks - well he should have been number 1 for 200 weeks.

He's already the best Irish golfer this island has produced and is ever likely to produce for a long time.

He's just turned 31 and he's already won more than any other Irish player. He's got a Hall of Fame career already. Not bad for a man just turned 31!!

You seem to get very emotional about any perceived slight.

The topic is Rory McIlroy, not what Rory McIlroy has achieved or done well, not just the golfer. You take the good with the bad. He hasn’t won 8 or 12, it’s 4, the last one six years ago. Surely you don’t think he should be satisfied with 4 or that it reflects his ability?

He says stupid things, does stupid things on the golf course, plays brilliant one day, brutal the next, there are enough of you guys to comment on the positives, but you get tetchy about any negative comment.

The thread is about McIlroy, not you or individual posters, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Still plenty of time for Rory I wouldnt be surprised if he went on to win another 2 or 3.

What will (he) change in the next 6 years compared to the last 6?
    If anything its going to get harder with more and more exceptionally talented young players on the scene.

What do you think he should/needs to change to win more? Or do you think nothing and he will just win them if he continues as before?

The thread is about McIlroy, not you or individual posters, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Absolutely but You're only interested in criticising him, any opportunity you get you're in this thread with the 'I told you so' like a little kid. He shot 63 yesterday and you're wondering why he didn't shoot a 59!

You 100% only want to focus in on anything negative or if can't find anything you'll spin something to suit your agenda. So of course I'm have to call you out on that manure.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

What do you think he should/needs to change to win more?

Shoot lower scores.

Absolutely but You're only interested in criticising him, any opportunity you get you're in this thread with the 'I told you so' like a little kid. He shot 63 yesterday and you're wondering why he didn't shoot a 59!

You 100% only want to focus in on anything negative or if can't find anything you'll spin something to suit your agenda. So of course I'm have to call you out on that manure.

Even if I did, so what? Why does it bother you so much?

My interest in him extends to more than giving him a virtual clap on the back every time he has one good round. Pretty often it is followed by a below average one, so I don’t get as excited as you do by it.

I’m not wondering why he didn’t shoot 59, I am wondering if he will shoot a half decent one today though. And despite what you think, I hope he does.

• Advertisement

There very much a touch of Seve to McIlroy : an early burst of 4 majors, then a blank patch where he winning regular tournaments and probably best in world but not winning majors. Then one last one.
    Rory doesn't have the easy or methodical swing for long lasting like langer or Couples or Jack or Sneed. He is an athletic power player who has big back twist and so more likely to fade early like other stressed swing players like Seve, Tiger, Palmer, Watson. So that's a risk. The next 2-3 years are key to him now. U less he goes for a Jack, Faldo type rebuild

BoldReason wrote: »
    Shoot lower scores.

AgonizingSomeAmericanalligator-small.gif

Will you let him know or should I?

Be my guest. There is no way I would take that little bit of joy from you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

AgonizingSomeAmericanalligator-small.gif

Don't post in this thread again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Fred_

There very much a touch of Seve to McIlroy : an early burst of 4 majors, then a blank patch where he winning regular tournaments and probably best in world but not winning majors. Then one last one.
    Rory doesn't have the easy or methodical swing for long lasting like langer or Couples or Jack or Sneed. He is an athletic power player who has big back twist and so more likely to fade early like other stressed swing players like Seve, Tiger, Palmer, Watson. So that's a risk. The next 2-3 years are key to him now. U less he goes for a Jack, Faldo type rebuild
    Totally incorrect.

An easy swing like Couples or Jack? Couples, or Boom Boom as he was known, is a bomber who has been plagued by back issues. Jack was a bomber too. He had hip issues later on.

Watson didn't fade because of swing stress. He almost won the open at 59. His lack of success later on was due to putting and possibly drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

Are you seriously suggesting that Mcilroy goes for a swing rebuild like Faldo. ? Jesus wept ,

rooney30 wrote: »
    Are you seriously suggesting that Mcilroy goes for a swing rebuild like Faldo. ? Jesus wept ,

I’m pretty sure the point being made is that his powerful swing will be difficult to maintain as he gets older and wear and tare will take their toll. It happens to the more dynamic athletes as they get older. I doubt the poster is saying that he should do it now.

Tiger has gone through a number of swing changes with different coaches through out his career, even before serious injuries set in. Sean Foley claimed credit for changing the way the best golfer in the world at the time gripped the club. DJ changed his short iron swing during his sabbatical from the tour, so it isn’t that unusual for coaches to help golfers to make changes which protect their bodies and improve striking.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VyWOzTulawA

I’m not sure if the link above works, but it’s an illustration of how Tiger’s swing changed with each of his 6 coaches.

Just found this article which gives some insight into injuries and relation to the powerful hitters.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/us-open-2018-golf-injuries-are-trending-upward-and-theories-abound-as-to-why/amp

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

I’m pretty sure the point being made is that his powerful swing will be difficult to maintain as he gets older and wear and tare will take their toll. It happens to the more dynamic athletes as they get older. I doubt the poster is saying that he should do it now.

Tiger has gone through a number of swing changes with different coaches through out his career, even before serious injuries set in. Sean Foley claimed credit for changing the way the best golfer in the world at the time gripped the club. DJ changed his short iron swing during his sabbatical from the tour, so it isn’t that unusual for coaches to help golfers to make changes which protect their bodies and improve striking.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VyWOzTulawA

I’m not sure if the link above works, but it’s an illustration of how Tiger’s swing changed with each of his 6 coaches.

It’s showing no sign of stress thus far . His injury profile has been very good . His body would seem to be no more susceptible to breakdown than any of the other top guys who can bomb it out there, Koepka, JT , Rahm etc
    He doesn’t have an overly aggressive move like Bryson or Tiger of old either .

It’s showing no sign of stress thus far . His injury profile has been very good . His body would seem to be no more susceptible to breakdown than any of the other top guys who can bomb it out there, Koepka, JT , Rahm etc

McIlroy has a degenerative spine condition, it is one of the reasons he has to build up his upper body so much a couple of years ago, and it is likely why he will eventually have to change his swing when he is older.

• Advertisement

It isnt because hes still only 31. But he only has 2-3 years left of that peak athleticism like in other sports, when 33/34 is on the slide. In golf you can keep it going, but it needs change. Unless he is not human he just cant play at 38 like he did at 28, let alone in his early twenties in his major winning days. As above, Tiger did it. Jack did it in the late seventies and got a few more majors out of it and then the bonus masters. Thats why I say this peak MvIlroy only has a couple of years left. Its not really seriously possible to not agree on this. My bet is that he is already past his peak. Can still pick up a major or two in the next 3 years, if he gets his head together, but no real signs of that yet. Either way, I think hell be around for the next 10 years even if as a lesser contender, and will pick up a major somewhere, when it all clicks for him as it can. As I say, he's very much a Seve pattern career. The missing years are the last 5, especially since Tiger faded sooner than might have been expected 6 years ago.
    Decent round today. Ive more respect for that than yesterdays really, because like that drive into the water, he could have had a few bad holes as a result but he kept going, and the key isnt that it is 5 shots worse than yesterday, its that he is in touch of the leader going into the weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement