Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Underachieving because his early years show what he could be. Its 6 years since he has won a major - the key measure for guys of his level (and its not as if he is a regular 4, 5,6 tournament a year winner like Tiger, Watson, Seve, or even a much leeser player like Mongomerie). During prime years where he didn't have to even handle 'first major' pressure like Mickelson or Sergio.

I didn't say he is the least talented. If I taught that, I wouldn't be saying he's underachieving. I only say that because I think he could be achieving so much more.

He can win so much without a real competitive killer instinct (and focus and control of himself) because his game is so good. He wins when his A game is just there and happening, almost despite himself. He's that good. But he never battles one out against the odds, grinds through it when the going is tough, minimise the impact of a bad day or bad luck, and still believe he can win. He throws in the towel too easily, or has himself psyched out of it before he even gets to the back nine on Sunday where the real winning is done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭abff

So changing caddy is a no brainer really. It could only be up. And just the act of changing something, like that, could be a but of gear change for him.

Any other great golfer, and a hell of lot of lesser lads, would ditch Harry. Enough of the friends. Just hire a competant experience caddy.

What a loads of codswallop!

You’re entitled to express an opinion, but laying it out in such emphatic terms and arriving at the conclusion that any competent experienced caddy would do a better job than his current caddy is just ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Underachieving because his early years show what he could be. Its 6 years since he has won a major - the key measure for guys of his level (and its not as if he is a regular 4, 5,6 tournament a year winner like Tiger, Watson, Seve, or even a much leeser player like Mongomerie). During prime years where he didn't have to even handle 'first major' pressure like Mickelson or Sergio.

I didn't say he is the least talented. If I taught that, I wouldn't be saying he's underachieving. I only say that because I think he could be achieving so much more.

For those who think he is under achieving, what do you think he should have won by now?

He's been on tour about 11 years and 4 majors in the bag. That's roughly 1 every 3 years. If he keeps going at that rate he'll probably win anther 5. Will 9 in total be enough?

Phil Mickelson won his first of 5 majors at the age of 34. Do you think Phil has under achieved?
    Monty never won a major and I don't think he ever won on the PGA Tour either (maybe once). Hard to compare Rory to Monty.

If he keeps going at his current rate, hell end up on 4.
    How many times did he genuinely content for one even in the last 6 years? No just a respectable 7th now or whatever, but where he was really nip and tuck in the last few holes?

• Advertisement

neddynasty wrote: »
    Hard to compare Rory to Monty.

Be fair now. I'm not. But the fact that a golfer who can't even be compared with him, outstrips him on one important aspect, is my fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

For those who think he is under achieving, what do you think he should have won by now?

He's been on tour about 11 years and 4 majors in the bag. That's roughly 1 every 3 years. If he keeps going at that rate he'll probably win anther 5. Will 9 in total be enough?

Phil Mickelson won his first of 5 majors at the age of 34. Do you think Phil has under achieved?
    Monty never won a major and I don't think he ever won on the PGA Tour either (maybe once). Hard to compare Rory to Monty.

It was Monty's Birthday yesterday, surprised he is only 57, the Golf Channel did a piece on him last night and they said no PGA tour wins.

3 senior majors though.

If he keeps going at his current rate, hell end up on 4.
    How many times did he genuinely content for one even in the last 6 years? No just a respectable 7th now or whatever, but where he was really nip and tuck in the last few holes?

The Open 2018 he finished T2 and 2 strokes behind Molinari.

Rory had a final round -1 compared to Molinari's -2. Rory was one of 13 players who were under par in the final round who finished in the top 50 in the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,042 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

He's been on tour about 11 years and 4 majors in the bag. That's roughly 1 every 3 years. If he keeps going at that rate he'll probably win anther 5. Will 9 in total be enough?.

Except its not, its 0 in 6 years. If you average it out then its grand, but he hasnt added one in a while

GreeBo wrote: »
    Except its not, its 0 in 6 years. If you average it out then its grand, but he hasnt added one in a while

Tiger didn't win a major for 10 years. Before the Masters in 2019 would you have described Tiger as a golfer with 0 majors in 10 years or 14 time major champion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Fred_

But he never battles one out against the odds, grinds through it when the going is tough, minimise the impact of a bad day or bad luck, and still believe he can win. He throws in the towel too easily
    He's world number one because of his consistency. He almost always performs well. (~7 top five finishes in a row before lockdown)

Yet you say he throws in the towel and doesn't grind through when the going is tough.

I don't see how he never battles it out yet always finishes high. Pure nonsense and contrary to the facts.

Tiger didn't win a major for 10 years. Before the Masters in 2019 would you have described Tiger as a golfer with 0 majors in 10 years or 14 time major champion?

It depends on what the question was. If someone was asking did I think he was going to win more, I wouldnt average out his 14 and say yes, I would look at the 10 years without one and say no.

Using the same logic, would you expect Tiger to win 1 every 2 years now? ;)

Be fair now. I'm not. But the fact that a golfer who can't even be compared with him, outstrips him on one important aspect, is my fair point.

What does Monty outstrip him on? Can't wait to hear this...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Fred_ wrote: »
    He's world number one because of his consistency. He almost always performs well. (~7 top five finishes in a row before lockdown)

Yet you say he throws in the towel and doesn't grind through when the going is tough.

I don't see how he never battles it out yet always finishes high. Pure nonsense and contrary to the facts.
    Its not pure nonsense from the perspective of finishing high with no chance of winning, lots of times he throws in one bad round, and three good ones. But if a horrible 77 was 72 not playing well, that would be grinding, he doesn't do it enough. Running on at the finish is OK from a statistical point of view, but realistically to do that without a winning chance, reminds me of a real under achiever, who was always at it, guess who?

Sergio Garcia :)

Its not pure nonsense from the perspective of finishing high with no chance of winning, lots of times he throws in one bad round, and three good ones. But if a horrible 77 was 72 not playing well, that would be grinding, he doesn't do it enough. Running on at the finish is OK from a statistical point of view, but realistically to do that without a winning chance, reminds me of a real under achiever, who was always at it, guess who?

Sergio Garcia :)
    I just don't see that he can consistently throw in the towel / doesn't grind and finish so highly so often. Doesn't add up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Fred_ wrote: »
    What does Monty outstrip him on? Can't wait to hear this...

Senior Majors, of course. Rory has never won one of those.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Using the same logic, would you expect Tiger to win 1 every 2 years now? ;)

The oldest major winner was Julius Boros at 48 years old. Tiger is 44 so lets say he has 4 years left in him. Do I expect him to win 2 more in those 4 years. Probably!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The oldest major winner was Julius Boros at 48 years old. Tiger is 44 so lets say he has 4 years left in him. Do I expect him to win 2 more in those 4 years. Probably!! :D

I’d make that an unlikely myself, he has had physical problems even since he won the Masters.

I think it was you who asked a poster about underachievement, I doubt anyone, including McIlroy would have thought in 2014 that in 2020 he wouldn’t have added to the four he won. Majors are still the currency by which the top golfers measure success.

Dav010 wrote: »
    I’d make that an unlikely myself, he has had physical problems even since he won the Masters.

I think it was you who asked a poster about underachievement, I doubt anyone, including McIlroy would have thought in 2014 that in 2020 he wouldn’t have added to the four he won. Majors are still the currency by which the top golfers measure success.

Yeah that's fair. In 2014 I think everyone would have thought McIlroy would have another 1 or 2 majors won. But golf has that mindset. When a player is winning everyone thinks it'll roll forever. Look at Spieth. 3 Majors between 2015 - 2017 & contented for a handful more. Everyone was talking about how this guy had the potential to overtake Tigers major wins and possibly even Nicklaus. His game is in rag order and he hasn't won a tournament in 3 years let alone a major. Golf is hard!

Looking at the decade 2010 -2019, I would still say McIlroy was the best golfer of that decade. But the opinion seems to be he underachieved, so there should have been a bigger gap between him at the top and the rest of the field.

Yeah that's fair. In 2014 I think everyone would have thought McIlroy would have another 1 or 2 majors won. But golf has that mindset. When a player is winning everyone thinks it'll roll forever. Look at Spieth. 3 Majors between 2015 - 2017 & contented for a handful more. Everyone was talking about how this guy had the potential to overtake Tigers major wins and possibly even Nicklaus. His game is in rag order and he hasn't won a tournament in 3 years let alone a major. Golf is hard!

Looking at the decade 2010 -2019, I would still say McIlroy was the best golfer of that decade. But the opinion seems to be he underachieved, so there should have been a bigger gap between him at the top and the rest of the field.

When compared to most other golfers, he has by no means underachieved. But by the standards he set early in his career, I think he has, particularly in the Majors. The first half of that decade is when he really set down a marker that the second half didn’t live up to. He did an interview a few years ago where he said that players can go through streaks like he did 12-14, Speith did, then Keopke where they win a lot, then tail off (not saying that will happen to Keopke), that does seem to be the way of the game now, maybe dechambeau is going to be the next “streaker”.

I do acknowledge the irony of talking about underachieving when he sits atop the world rankings, but golfers are remembered for wins, not how many top 10s they had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

3 under thru 7 at the travellers is Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Remind me wrote: »

With negative strokes gained putting!! Standard for him.

Wouldn’t be surprised by someone shooting 59 around this course again this week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

With negative strokes gained putting!! Standard for him.

Wouldn’t be surprised by someone shooting 59 around this course again this week

He only made 2 from outside 10 feet, and also kissed one from about 6 feet, so not surprising it rates as a poor putting performance. To still shoot -7 shows how good he was tee to green.

Can he do 72 holes though? He often is the best player in a given 54 holes in a tournament, it’s the other 18 that kill him. If he turned those two over par 9s even to level par 9s he’d be winning a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭Trampas

Has Rory made any comments about the scoring is to low like he did last year about European tour or has his memory gone again

Trampas wrote: »
    Has Rory made any comments about the scoring is to low like he did last year about European tour or has his memory gone again

No comment either about ranks 4 and 5 withdrawing due to coronavirus, do they also not care about their careers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Dav010 wrote: »
    No comment either about ranks 4 and 5 withdrawing due to coronavirus, do they also not care about their careers?

Never ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

Im no Rory fan. Well I'm indifferent to him not to bothered either way. I don't like nor dislike him. But it seems to me that if Rory had birdied every hole and Eagled the 2 par 5s there would be lads here wondering why he didn't hole out on any of the par 4s.

BoldReason wrote: »
    Im no Rory fan. Well I'm indifferent to him not to bothered either way. I don't like nor dislike him. But it seems to me that if Rory had birdied every hole and Eagled the 2 par 5s there would be lads here wondering why he didn't hole out on any of the par 4s.

He missed them because of covid... Sorry I mean trump... Oh no wait, he likes trump again now right?
    Maybe he had a temporary toothache, or the Olympics was bothering him, perhaps his pet mosquito caught Zika and he was distracted?
    Alas we will never know, unless some of the European tour players tell us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

Maybe it's just me and Rory did and said some stupid things when we were younger.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement