Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah no doubt Rory is great to watch, there's a reason why he's always in the featured groups.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Now this sums his game up;

Rory hit this 5 wood from 257 yards closer to the hole (8’9”) than any full wedge he’s had today.

No. 11: 95 yards - Missed Green
    No. 13: 98 yards - 20’8”
    No. 14: 121 yards - 16’5”
    No. 17: 111 yards - Missed Green
    No. 1: 106 yards - Missed Green
    No. 3: 133 yards - 9’9”

Yeah his short game has been poor today. Thought he improved with the wedges in the last year but since covid he's been poor, definitely lots of room for improvement.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Yeah his short game has been poor today. Thought he improved with the wedges in the last year but since covid he's been poor, definitely lots of room for improvement.

It is infuriating that he seems the need to have 5/6/7 iron over the field to have an advantage

If I was a fan of Dechambeau, the frustration would be even worse. Was Dechambeau always as suspect with a wedge

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Now this sums his game up;

Rory hit this 5 wood from 257 yards closer to the hole (8’9”) than any full wedge he’s had today.

No. 11: 95 yards - Missed Green
    No. 13: 98 yards - 20’8”
    No. 14: 121 yards - 16’5”
    No. 17: 111 yards - Missed Green
    No. 1: 106 yards - Missed Green
    No. 3: 133 yards - 9’9”

Astonishing, but at least he’s consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

I talking just about the majors really and not the likes of this and still think it's clear and interesting that compared to other 3-6 majors winners, there is this element to him through prime 10 years that others dont have. Anyways I mean it that this is the reason his majors record seems underperforming for some one so good, who is world number one and that its not the correct read of him that he cracks under pressure which I take to be majors where you go into the last round in the lead, have a comfortable lead at any stage in one, or are in the mix on the back nine. I think because he had the couple of high drama blowouts that that's his problem and I don't think it is. It's his mental approach to the majors where he makes a balls of it before it's even got going through nothing other players are doing or putting on pressure, he just collapses out of nowhere.

These kind of tournament s are really on footnotes in his carreer and count more as just total tournaments rather than being significant wins in there own right.

Only Phil and tiger in the field have more majors than him

Brooks ties him

Phil has 5, all chokers I suppose, I suppose both old and young Tom were chokers too

Was jack a choker for not winning all those majors he came second in

Only Phil and tiger in the field have more majors than him

Brooks ties him

Phil has 5, all chokers I suppose, I suppose both old and young Tom were chokers too

Was jack a choker for not winning all those majors he came second in

Personally I didn’t see much of old and young when they were in their pomp, winning majors so I can’t comment on them, Phil is unlucky that his career overlapped a serial winner called Tiger Woods, Keopke’s wins are all very recent so we might have to wait a while to see if he burned brightly, like McIlroy for a brief period in majors, and as for Nicklaus, it would be strange to even question that the man who holds the record for Majors is a choker, but maybe he did fluff the odd one, I don’t know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Dav010 wrote: »
    .. and as for Nicklaus, it would be strange to even question that the man who holds the record for Majors is a choker, but maybe he did fluff the odd one, I don’t know.

I do get his point, he was runner up in 19 majors AFAIK and he himself has said he won Majors he should not have won but lost a considerable amount more that he should have won because he did not close out

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Phil is unlucky that his career overlapped a serial winner called Tiger Woods

Mickelson has finished Runner up in 11 majors, one of those was to Tiger!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Pogue eile wrote: »
    One of those 75's he actually won the tournament for gods sake! Another of the 75 was in the US open won by McDowell at even par. He has also broken 2 course records and shot 63 twice, a 64 and a 65 in the two opening rounds of Majors.

These scores have nothing to do with bottle or mental strength or lapses of concentration or any other such nonsense. McIllroy is simply an incredibly aggressive golfer and when he blows hot its scintilating when he is off it can be extremely bad.

Give me that over a steady eddie who posts 70 every round, any day of the week.

The above bold bit stands out for me in the context of a recent Off the Ball interview I heard. The context was of how incredible Tiger was from 1997 to 2001/2002. The types of shots he hit, chose to hit, were like nothing ever seen or done by any golfer before.

Then he decided to reign it in, to play within himself, take less chances. He worked out that was all that was needed. His conservative game was good enough to win. I'm paraphrasing here, but it was really interesting to hear outlined from a pro (think it was Harrington) how much he changed.

So effectively Woods was in his steady Eddie mode for all his wins since 2001, albeit his stead eddie mode is considerably better than most. See last year's Masters as example. Just went for pars, and birdies on par 5's. And got some luck with wayward drives. But everyone else fell away. Jack used to do the same, grind it out, let others fall away. Rory doesn't seem to have worked this out as the best way to tick off victories. This is what furstrates me about Rory, that he has all the ability in the world to win more majors, more titles, but he doesn't have the game plan to do so, nor seemlingly the ability to dig deep/drind/bounce back when adveristy hits, which it does due to his aggressive style.

• Advertisement

Who requested the title change or which mod changed it off their own bat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Exactly wrote: »

Dont think it was a mod, it was more like Rory effectiveyly done it himself after a mediocre run of things compared to the other top boys.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Thread titles get amended all the time. Is there something wrong with the title, drop a PM to any of the mods with your concerns. Cheers.

Dont think it was a mod, it was more like Rory effectiveyly done it himself after a mediocre run of things compared to the other top boys.

Hardly mediocre. Maybe by your standards but not by most.

Not at his best absolutely. Mediocre no.

Keano wrote: »
    Thread titles get amended all the time. Is there something wrong with the title, drop a PM to any of the mods with your concerns. Cheers.

Won't waste my time. Thanks for the reply though.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

The above bold bit stands out for me in the context of a recent Off the Ball interview I heard. The context was of how incredible Tiger was from 1997 to 2001/2002. The types of shots he hit, chose to hit, were like nothing ever seen or done by any golfer before.

Then he decided to reign it in, to play within himself, take less chances. He worked out that was all that was needed. His conservative game was good enough to win. I'm paraphrasing here, but it was really interesting to hear outlined from a pro (think it was Harrington) how much he changed.

So effectively Woods was in his steady Eddie mode for all his wins since 2001, albeit his stead eddie mode is considerably better than most. See last year's Masters as example. Just went for pars, and birdies on par 5's. And got some luck with wayward drives. But everyone else fell away. Jack used to do the same, grind it out, let others fall away. Rory doesn't seem to have worked this out as the best way to tick off victories. This is what furstrates me about Rory, that he has all the ability in the world to win more majors, more titles, but he doesn't have the game plan to do so, nor seemlingly the ability to dig deep/drind/bounce back when adveristy hits, which it does due to his aggressive style.

Koepka does the same. Just hangs around long enough for 3 quarters of field to play their way out of contention albeit he is struggling himself these days. McIlroy just doesn't seem to have the short game. He duffed a few chips last week. It's rare you'd seen a tour pro leave the leading edge in the ground and he did that 4 or 5 times. For a big man John Rahms scrambling was amazing. His touch around the greens was top class.

Hardly mediocre. Maybe by your standards but not by most.

Not at his best absolutely. Mediocre no.

By his standards. He hasn’t had a top 10 finish since the tour resumed, he was in great form before lockdown when he went to No1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I think its ridiculous changing the thread title to the current rankings!!! how dare they!

Keano wrote: »

Surely current players champion or Fedex champion would be a better title.

We're still looking at Paul Dunne 2017 masters champion, amazing that one wasn't changed as quick!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Surely current players champion or Fedex champion would be a better title.

We're still looking at Paul Dunne 2017 masters champion, amazing that one wasn't changed as quick!!

But Paul Dunne is still the 2017 Masters Champion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Thread Title Updated, let's not get caught in semantics

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Remember Jack saying 30 years ago or more that he won a good few of his majors, by just being there and waiting for the field to lose it to him. And he wouldnt even have been referring to the Doug Sanders one there. People are familiar with the Tiger fear factor and how so much of the field felt they knew the couldn't beat him in his best years and that helped him by their inferiority feeling. But forget its was the same or even bigger effect with Jack from about 65 as Palmers faded, to 75 when Watson came good. And simple having his name at the top had people crumble. So I think it worked both ways. People look at the number of seconds, but they were a result of that approach too I think. If he'd gambled or pushed more on some majors he might have won some of them - but might have lost some of the ones he won too that he picked up by basically just always making himself be there in the top 10 and see what happens. Overall you can't argue it didn't work out from him really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

People bottle majors all of the time without Jack or Tiger on the leaderboard. Virtually every major you watch the majority of the top 10 utterly crumble on the last day, I think its less of a fear factor about those players and more that they were sensible enough to just stick around as the madness unfolds. Also worth noting Tiger was leading after 3 rounds in pretty much all of the majors he won.

Would agree somewhat with this although I think his bouncebackability is quite good he'd regularly follow a bogie with a birdie.

I think he lacks patience at times and wants to be extremely aggressive when sometimes the smart play is to take par and move on especially when he's out of position. Lots of the big tournaments are won by just hanging around and then going to win it on the back 9 on Sunday. I find when he's in contention on Sunday he'll come out all guns blazing and after 5 holes you already know he's either going to shoot 65 or 75.

He seems to have 2 gears, 1st gear or 5th gear, no middle ground. This makes him fascinating to watch. Think if he can find that 3rd gear and be able to move through the gears over 18 holes there's no reason why he couldn't bag another 3 or 4 majors.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

He seems to have 2 gears, 1st gear or 5th gear, no middle ground. This makes him fascinating to watch.

I think that is a pretty accurate description of Rory and his 1st gear or 'A' game is pretty untouchable.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I think that is a pretty accurate description of Rory and his 1st gear or 'A' game is pretty untouchable.

His A game is based on his prodigious length, that is far from untouchable now.

Yeh, pity one them who cant touch it at the moment is Rory himself thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭rooney30

Yeh, pity one them who cant touch it at the moment is Rory himself thought.

Can someone translate please !

rooney30 wrote: »
    Can someone translate please !

A poster said McIlroys A game is untouchable, but even McIlroy himself is no where near within reach of his A game at the moment.

• Advertisement

:D:D yeah that's an accurate summary of this game lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement