Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Banner fights back

fullstop wrote: »
    ET website doesn’t have him playing any events this season except the WGC, so they are his last 7.

The other comment wasn’t aimed at you, it was for the poor lads who have been waiting for about 9 months to come in and call him a bottler. Must have been tough for them.

Rory did play in the Dubai world championship last year and finished 4th.

Agree with full stop that anyone that thinks that winning the tour and players championship last year constitutes a failure for Rory is absolute bs. These are the two biggest events outside the majors and I'm most disappointed that once again certain people just continue to love to knock one of our own when Rory struggles.

I think that's shameful behaviour IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Rory did play in the Dubai world championship last year and finished 4th.

Agree with full stop that anyone that thinks that winning the tour and players championship last year constitutes a failure for Rory is absolute bs. These are the two biggest events outside the majors and I'm most disappointed that once again certain people just continue to love to knock one of our own when Rory struggles.

I think that's shameful behaviour IMO.

Id love to be even half the bottler he is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

He's good enough to be at Tiger levels in terms of turning good scores into wins. But he has a definite weakness in converting good positions. Not all of them of course but his win ratio from good positions, although improving, is not where it should be. He is so good that he is in contention literally every week but still has a tendency to fade. Skill wise he is head and shoulders above most other players. Third worst score in the entire field today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Id love to be even half the bottler he is!

Wouldnt we all. But that doesnt mean that there isbt a strong touch of the underperformer about him given his talent and all. Seems to be his attitude or concentration or something. So hes great, no argument. But amongst all the multimajor winners, he is a bit of an odd lad. For such a good golfer, I dont think any of the rest of them would have Rorys frequency of missed cuts, and blowouts in majors. And I dont think thats criticism really. Hed probably agree it himself, as he does seem a fairly level headed and realistic guy, and Id say frustrated by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Surprised to see oraiste struggle today. He seems to lack the mental strength at times.

What is this guff doing in this forum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

callaway92 wrote: »
    What is this guff doing in this forum

Dont know what it means either. Autocorrect on a phone keyboard probably, which does some strange stuff at times for me anyway, and you dont always notice even though you started to type the right word.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Surprised to see oraiste struggle today. He seems to lack the mental strength at times.

What's the oraiste thing about? I've seen you post it a few times. Some sort of sectarian comment or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

Does oráiste not mean orange in irish? Clearly some lad doing a bit of trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Dont know what it means either. Autocorrect on a phone keyboard probably, which does some strange stuff at times for me anyway, and you dont always notice even though you started to type the right word.

I think we know what he meant.

Some coincidence if not.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Not surprised by your narrowmindedness judging by some of your contributions on Boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Not going to add to some of the poor previous comments about Rory.

He's having a bad day so that's it.

Got a chuckle from Faldo after finding out that Rory shot 41 on the front 9, "He's going to need a second pencil".

Not going to add to some of the poor previous comments about Rory.

He's having a bad day so that's it.

Got a chuckle from Faldo after finding out that Rory shot 41 on the front 9, "He's going to need a second pencil".

That was pretty funny alright. Also enjoyed this one from Kyle Porter

https://twitter.com/KylePorterCBS/status/1272245149762977797?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

lostatsea wrote: »

I presume the nonsense part was where you tried to link Rorys comments to it affecting McGinleys relationship with colleagues.

On the article, both Tiger and Jordan had enough off course and court goings on to keep their mouths shut and not shine any needless political or media interest in them. Ronaldo I thought has been quite outspoken in his support for Palestine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

The nonsense part was the entire post, but particularly the 2nd half of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Banner fights back

Rory has made some very interesting comments about some of those European based players that are remaining in Europe and not travelling to America regarding the resumption of the PGA Tour. Personally I fundamentally disagree with Rory's comments as covid 19 is spreading like wildfire in America and clearly Tommy Fleetwood and Francesco Molinari are not comfortable in travelling to the US and I agree with Tommy and Francesco in this regard.

Remember they have young families too and the last thing that they want is put their kids in any danger from covid. I say fair play Tommy and Francesco. I'm certainly not on Rory's side in this regard. I'm actually disappointed and as a big Rory fan, this was not one of the world number 1 finest comments for sure.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/2020/0617/1148107-mcilroy-if-you-really-care-for-career-you-quarantine/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Rory has made some very interesting comments about some of those European based players that are remaining in Europe and not travelling to America regarding the resumption of the PGA Tour. Personally I fundamentally disagree with Rory's comments as covid 19 is spreading like wildfire in America and clearly Tommy Fleetwood and Francesco Molinari are not comfortable in travelling to the US and I agree with Tommy and Francesco in this regard.

Remember they have young families too and the last thing that they want is put their kids in any danger from covid. I say fair play Tommy and Francesco. I'm certainly not on Rory's side in this regard. I'm actually disappointed and as a big Rory fan, this was not one of the world number 1 finest comments for sure.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/2020/0617/1148107-mcilroy-if-you-really-care-for-career-you-quarantine/

It seems it's more about players complaining about it which would be fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would agree with Mcllroy on this one, can't believe some stayed behind to play in Mickey mouse European tour events.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

McIlroy engaging mouth before brain again.

Who knows what personal circumstances some players have.

Ironic that American is still rampant and back playing compared to other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,027 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    McIlroy engaging mouth before brain again.

Who knows what personal circumstances some players have.

Ironic that American is still rampant and back playing compared to other countries.

Even more ironic when you consider who made this particular statement:

“After speaking with those closest to me, I’ve come to realize that my health, and my family’s health, comes before anything else,” McIlroy said in a statement. “Even though the risk of infection from the Zika virus is considered low, it is a risk nonetheless, and a risk I am unwilling to take.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

Rorys dead right . It sounds to me that the European lads couldn’t be arsed with the two week quarantine . Wouldn’t say it’s much to do with covid risk . Re Fleetwood and Molinari , it’s not as if UK and Italy are virus free .

rooney30 wrote: »
    Rorys dead right . It sounds to me that the European lads couldn’t be arsed with the two week quarantine . Wouldn’t say it’s much to do with covid risk . Re Fleetwood and Molinari , it’s not as if UK and Italy are virus free .

Big difference between staying in your own home with your family, and travelling to the US to play golf. Coronavirus cases have surged in Texas and South Carolina in the past 7 days. When you consider what he said himself about the risk of infection and family considerations in relation to Zika, his criticism of others now for staying home is totally hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

Dav010 wrote: »
    Big difference between staying in your own home with your family, and travelling to the US to play golf. Coronavirus cases have surged in Texas and South Carolina in the past 7 days. When you consider what he said himself about the risk of infection and family considerations in relation to Zika, his criticism of others now for staying home is totally hypocritical.

He is being hypocritical for sure , but what he is saying now happens to be right , in my view . That was my point . These are young fit athletes in the prime of their lives , they are not vulnerable . Golf is their livelihood , they need to go back to work, just like the rest of the world .

He is being hypocritical for sure , but what he is saying now happens to be right , in my view . That was my point . These are young fit athletes in the prime of their lives , they are not vulnerable . Golf is their livelihood , they need to go back to work, just like the rest of the world .

I think that family considerations are probably more important rather than financial. Most of us have to go back to work to earn a living, these guys are already very rich.

I think it's bollix that the owgr has started up and is a real kick in the teeth to the European tour. Whatever about Fleetwood and Molinari there are players there on the cusp who would not get invites to these tournaments and are shooting further down the rankings.

Exactly alot more covid 19 in the UK per Capita. Would have been safer to head to the US like all the other top players. There's rigorous testing in place. Absolutely no risk. Isolate from your family if there so worried. The lads can have no complaints.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Exactly alot more covid 19 in the UK per Capita. Would have been safer to head to the US like all the other top players. There's rigorous testing in place. Absolutely no risk. Isolate from your family if there so worried. The lads can have no complaints.

Have you seen the US response to Covid-19???

Have you seen the US response to Covid-19???

Have you seen the UK's response? No better.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

True. But as said before they can remain isolated at home with their family far easier than if travelling around the US. Rory is an exceptional talent but his media management is far from exceptional. Seems to backtrack constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Not sure why anyone would be put out by a golfer's decision to play or not to play. Of travelling and staying in hotels, even going on a plane is risky. Fleetwood and Molinari have mostly been committed ET players. Do they even have houses in the US?

McIlroy should know by now when to shut his mouth. He doesn't have to answer every question and what others do is none of his business.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement