Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

He plays the Irish, he misses the Irish, really what's the big deal?
    He's given a lot back and resurrected the Irish Open so if he misses one year for what he perceives the betterment of his game then fine.

If you want to physically see him he'll be in Portrush.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

slave1 wrote: »
    He plays the Irish, he misses the Irish, really what's the big deal?
    He's given a lot back and resurrected the Irish Open so if he misses one year for what he perceives the betterment of his game then fine.

If you want to physically see him he'll be in Portrush.

The big deal is that Rory is Irish, as you yourself state, he played a huge part in the Irish Open reclaiming a large part of its former status, so to devalue all that by not playing in his home Open at Lahinch next year would be bad PR for the tournament and could have negative effects going forward. Rory also came under fire from many quarters when he pulled out of the Rio Olympics so the last thing he wants is more negative publicity.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

How many other top pros around Europe don’t play their “home” events? I bet the ratio is very small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

charlieIRL wrote: »
    How many other top pros around Europe don’t play their “home” events? I bet the ratio is very small.

Sergio didn't play Spanish Open although it was won by Rahm.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I wonder about his mental state. He's one of the best in the game tee to 120 yards out but his short game has cost him loads in recent years.

He'll require a huge amount of self belief and mental strength to win any more majors.

I'm just not convinced he's fully tuned in at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Russman

I wonder about his mental state. He's one of the best in the game tee to 120 yards out but his short game has cost him loads in recent years.

He'll require a huge amount of self belief and mental strength to win any more majors.

I'm just not convinced he's fully tuned in at times.

He was also 7th on tour last season from 50-125yds.......

But, I agree, sometimes he doesn't seem tuned in, or maybe its more he switches off for the odd hole, usually a par 5 !

I don't think his driving has been as good this season. I see he has a new driver in the bag this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

there is literally no mention of the Irish Open in the article, nor any new information beyond what McIlroy already stated

Exactly wrote: »
    I don't think his driving has been as good this season. I see he has a new driver in the bag this week.

I assume you are talking about 2018, on the PGA tour he finished 1st in Driving Distance and 6th in strokes gained off the tee so nothing amiss from his driving.

50th in strokes gained from approaching the green and especially 85th in putting says it all, it's his short game

Looking at his putts in particular, Putting from - 10-15' he's 146th, Putting from - 15-20' he's 133rd, they are just brutal stats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

slave1 wrote: »
    I assume you are talking about 2018, on the PGA tour he finished 1st in Driving Distance and 6th in strokes gained off the tee so nothing amiss from his driving.

Hits it far but not so accurate, only hits 55% of fairways which is 165th on tour.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Hits it far but not so accurate, only hits 55% of fairways which is 165th on tour.

True but 6th in strokes gained off the tee takes that into account AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

First cut in the US is practically the fairway but not for stats and he is usually a hell of a lot further down the hole than the 164 others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Strokes gained should be the only stat used talking about these. His driving while not great in the last month or so certainly hasnt been his problem this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭paulos53

He has a good round in progress today. Currently in a 8 way tie for the lead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The big deal is that Rory is Irish, as you yourself state, he played a huge part in the Irish Open reclaiming a large part of its former status, so to devalue all that by not playing in his home Open at Lahinch next year would be bad PR for the tournament and could have negative effects going forward. Rory also came under fire from many quarters when he pulled out of the Rio Olympics so the last thing he wants is more negative publicity.

Not to start a riot but Rory's "home" tournament is the Open. He sees himself as British not Irish. He has stated as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Not to start a riot but Rory's "home" tournament is the Open. He sees himself as British not Irish. He has stated as much.

Hmmmmmm.......that didn't work.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/rory-mcilroy-confident-he-can-defy-dismal-irish-open-record-1.2652058

ligerdub wrote:
    Hmmmmmm.......that didn't work.

He must mean home (when it's in NI) tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

He must mean home (when it's in NI) tournament.

“I’m coming off a couple of decent weeks in the States where I felt like I played better than what the results suggested, so I’m looking forward to the week. The K Club here is a golf course where I feel like I can do well on. It sets up well for me.

“It would be huge (to win). I think anyone that plays professional golf, they dream of winning their home open. You don’t get very many opportunities to do it, so it would be very special. It’s definitely one tournament that is missing from my CV that I would love to add.”

Give it up.

ligerdub wrote:
    Give it up.

Ah sure the British are always mistaking Ireland forpart of Britain.

Rory's just confused. Must have thought he was in Britain giving that interview.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Ah sure the British are always mistaking Ireland forpart of Britain.

Rory's just confused. Must have thought he was in Britain giving that interview.
    And that's your fun over...back on topic now please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭ready4liftoff

Rory McIlroy making some interesting comments regarding his playing schedule, ahead of the opening event of the year in Hawaii, the Sentry Tournament of Champions. What do other posters think about Rory playing less golf in Europe? The link about what Rory said are in the link below.

https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/2018/12/31/rory-mcilroy-focus-pga-tour-2019/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

His comments in relation to The European Tour being a stepping stone to the PGA Tour are spot on. Just look at the trend over the last few years.

I would like to see him support the Irish Open though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭ready4liftoff

AGC wrote: »
    His comments in relation to The European Tour being a stepping stone to the PGA Tour are spot on. Just look at the trend over the last few years.

I would like to see him support the Irish Open though.

Even the European Challenge Tour has started the ball rolling for the likes of Henrik Stenson and in recent times, Brooks Koepka who in 2013 won three times on that tour before as the old saying goes "the rest is history".

You are 100% correct about the Irish Open though. Rory has done an enormous amount of work to make the the event one of the premier events on the European Tour circuit with his excellent hosting of the event between 2015-2018. He just cannot expect to get a free pass if he misses the Irish Open in Lahinch. It will set a bad example to the fans who want to see the best golfers on the island of Ireland play in the Irish Open.

In my opinion he will undo all the good work that he has done to make the Irish Open what it is now, if he does indeed decides to skip Lahinch. It would undermine the tournament big time if the 4 time major winner does not play.

On a separate note, I just feel that Rory wants to associate himself with "yes-men" throughout his team around him. That has to be a recipe for disaster. He might be comfortable in that environment. But I don't think Rory needs this "yes to everything" narrative right now. He needs to be challenged and motivated. Can he do that himself? I personally feel that Rory is his own worst enemy at times so perhaps a sports performance coach like Dave Allred would be very welcome in his camp, that would get him in a set routine and make Rory become the player that we want to see challenging for majors and other big tournaments.

2019 has the potential to be Rory's biggest year in golf. With Royal Portrush to which he held the course record as a young fearless teenager in his amateur days, set to host the British Open in July of this year, this could be Rory's moment to silence the begrudgers and become the great player again that we thought he would after his 4th major win at the US PGA Championship in 2014. But while there is plenty to be optimistic, as I said it is over 4 years since his last major, and until he can find consistently with his wedge game and the putter, then another year without a major could be on the cards.

Rory McIlroy will start his season tomorrow in Hawaii at the Tournament of Champions at Kapalua. He is making his debut at the tournament. He secured entry for this winners-only event after winning the Arnold Palmer Invitational in March of last year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

He wants to play week before all the majors. Lahinch would be 2 weeks before the Open or is he going to play Scottish instead? Be crazy if he misses the Irish open

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

He seems to be a horrible individual. There seems to be very little going on upstairs. His father has way too much influence and Rory seems to act first and think later. He surrounds himself with Yes Men. Now he appears to be treating the European Tour and his colleagues with contempt.

The word on the street is that McIlroy demanded guaranteed appearance money from the Rolex Series events, including the Irish Open; a bit rich given that he was its host until this year. When the Tour refused, it’s alleged that Rory threw his toys out of his pram and abandoned ship.

At what point do people realise that Rory is the problem? He seems to have fallen out with everyone...Chubby Chandler, Conor Ridge, his ex-caddie, Paul McGinley, the European Tour. Calling a spade a spade, he is not a nice guy.

Used to love Rory but he’s a few years of stupid statements and lies at this stage, sore tooth, olympics, not interested in growing the game etc....getting pissed off with him at this stage.
    Stick to playing winning golf and less chat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

I have to say Rory doesn't help himself. He just gives people ammo to fire at him with his comments. Should keep his mouth shut and stick to playing golf. I honestly think he's not really a nice individual. Selfish and arrogant. Unless his golf improves he's going end up as just another golfer on tour. So many good players around that he could just become another golfer. All the talent in the world but is the hunger still there. You can see with tiger the inner desire to win i don't see that with Rory. Half the time he looks like is just going through the motions.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

My sense is that he not only lacks intelligence; he thinks that he’s intelligent; a lethal combo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

He seems to be a horrible individual. There seems to be very little going on upstairs. His father has way too much influence and Rory seems to act first and think later. He surrounds himself with Yes Men. Now he appears to be treating the European Tour and his colleagues with contempt.

The word on the street is that McIlroy demanded guaranteed appearance money from the Rolex Series events, including the Irish Open; a bit rich given that he was its host until this year. When the Tour refused, it’s alleged that Rory threw his toys out of his pram and abandoned ship.

At what point do people realise that Rory is the problem? He seems to have fallen out with everyone...Chubby Chandler, Conor Ridge, his ex-caddie, Paul McGinley, the European Tour. Calling a spade a spade, he is not a nice guy.

He's basically doing what he wants without having to give in to other peoples expectations. Its great to see this - rather than think there is nothing going on upstairs - I think he's very smart and self-aware and has just reached the point now that he knows he's made enough money that he doesn't have to play any games any more.
    He does whatever the fu*k he wants which is great to see.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement