Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I've been hit with a €5 increase starting from Feb 1st.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057353511/1#

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Right I think it's time to look at this again. Lein: any luck with negotiating a new contract in lieu of the increase? Mines going up 8 euro.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Not yet Astro.

Flat out in work. Hoping to get around to it tomorrow.

There's a good chance I'll end up @ sky as I'm going to go all the way in calling them out on this.

I will keep UPC for broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

LEIN wrote: »
    Not yet Astro.

Flat out in work. Hoping to get around to it tomorrow.

There's a good chance I'll end up @ sky as I'm going to go all the way in calling them out on this.

I will keep UPC for broadband.

Sky are also a ripoff and jack up their prices every year - I'd love to be able to get UPC (mainly for the broadband).

loyatemu wrote: »
    Sky are also a ripoff and jack up their prices every year - I'd love to be able to get UPC (mainly for the broadband).

Understood. I'll be keeping broadband.

Sky TV is far superior in my opinion. I'm paying €40 a month at the moment and I don't believe it's worth anything near that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Upgraded (bb) package and downgraded price...

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Nice result over wifi with new router:

4066919240.png

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

Anyone else experiencing appalling speeds last night?

1127131401.png

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Aronaay

Anyone else experiencing appalling speeds last night?

1127131401.png

This is the only reason I won't switch back to them. I had there broadband in both my home and business and there service is the most unreliable I've ever dealt with. All they ever had to say about it was either there is no fault or an engineer is looking into it. I even went over a month with 1mb down and they still tried to charge full price

I got a new router last week, and had terrible connection all weekend, and put the connection problems down to it being this new fandabidozi 500Mb-capable router. Completed a full factory reset today via UPC support and now all sorted. So perhaps it was a coincidence and actually not the router?!

@Robertr: you wouldn't have gotten that speed on wifi (your graphic suggests it wasn't a wifi connection).

@Hamstervision: I rebooted the router several times but still didn't sort it. Are you still experiencing problems?

• Advertisement

Having speed issues but not near as bad. 200Mb package.

4072918357.png

Router had to be reset 3 times which is not normal.

Ok, well it's good to log issues here so we know what's happening. Everything looking OK for the time of evening (wired straight to router).

4072957709.png

How can they sell 240Mb when 200Mb is proving difficult at peak times...

4072975841.png

Much better this morning.

4073865008.png

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

astrofluff wrote: »

@Robertr: you wouldn't have gotten that speed on wifi (your graphic suggests it wasn't a wifi connection).

Eh, yes it was. On my Microsoft Surface. Does not even have an ethernet port. Got a new AC band router.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-RT-AC68U-Wireless-Broadband-Router/dp/B00G323PG0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421762089&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+ac

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

Watch out for that UPC 'customer loyalty' discount, it apparently expires after 12mths without notice.

Just noticed my bill has gone from €27 to €40. Called them to query and they transferred me to customer loyalty, who hung up after I was holding for 5 mins.
    Sky don't seem to be much cheaper - €30 rising to €40 after 6mths.

Any other players in this space locally? Anything over €30 is a lot just for broadband - it's a basic human right these days surely? #FirstWorldProblems :-)

Watch out for that UPC 'customer loyalty' discount, it apparently expires after 12mths without notice.

Just noticed my bill has gone from €27 to €40. Called them to query and they transferred me to customer loyalty, who hung up after I was holding for 5 mins.
    Sky don't seem to be much cheaper - €30 rising to €40 after 6mths.

Any other players in this space locally? Anything over €30 is a lot just for broadband - it's a basic human right these days surely? #FirstWorldProblems :-)

Vodafone €35 a month for just broadband, no phone.

Be careful if you're a very heavy user though - "unlimited" with Vodafone means 300GB per month, use more and they charge you.

Rang to cancel today and got everything half price for 6 months.

Happy with that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

7 or 8 UPC heads walking around Greystones town today. Looking at the footpaths as if they are going to dig them up or something.

Not too bad.

4080729808.png

• Advertisement

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    7 or 8 UPC heads walking around Greystones town today. Looking at the footpaths as if they are going to dig them up or something.

fingers crossed, starting to feel a bit technologically deprived with no UPC and no eFibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

pixbyjohn wrote: »

Where exactly please, as wondering near my gaff. no analogue service for months

There are plenty of estates for UPC to cable up to digital standard. I count Redford, Rathdown Park, Applewood, Hillside, Bellevue, and Heathervue. If they're going to invest in upgrading the old cable system I would expect these estates to be the first estates to be upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Sasso wrote: »
    Where exactly please, as wondering near my gaff. no analogue service for months
    I saw them walking from Fenton Fires down along to the Burnaby, 7 of them with clip boards and hi vis jackets. They seemed particularly interested in the footpaths outside Café Delle Stelle and Sam McCauley's

Much better results now that there aren't many on-line.

4082586759.png

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Anyone know if the 240mb fibre is available in Charlesland? Trying to decide on whether to go with Vodafone 100mb or UPC 240mb. Its for streaming TV so would prefer the higher speed and unlimited downloads from UPC but a quick read of the thread suggests UPC not all its cracked up to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Aronaay

I've had both and have found that upc gives you the advertised speed but is unreliable and Vodafone struggle to give you the speed but is reliable. This was in wood

Vodafone have a 300GB per month limit, so not a great option if you are planning a lot of streaming.

wicklowdub wrote: »
    Anyone know if the 240mb fibre is available in Charlesland? Trying to decide on whether to go with Vodafone 100mb or UPC 240mb. Its for streaming TV so would prefer the higher speed and unlimited downloads from UPC but a quick read of the thread suggests UPC not all its cracked up to be.

Look at my speed test just above your last post. Taken from Charlesland Wood.
    Aronaay wrote: »
    I've had both and have found that upc gives you the advertised speed but is unreliable and Vodafone struggle to give you the speed but is reliable. This was in wood

I wouldn't call it unreliable. Since the cable connection it has been mainly bullet proof with just a few speed issues during peak hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

UPC it is

Advertisement