Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you react to somebody 'starting on you' on a night out?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlimpyBoy

I had a junkie and his junkie missus hassle me for a smoke while I was walking to the taxi rank on Aston Quay at around 3 a.m.

Ms. Junkie asked me for a smoke. I said I didn't smoke and didn't have any.

Both of them asked me a few more times for a smoke while getting more insistent and following me up the street.

Eventually the the guy says "Here, give us a bleeeeeeeeeeeedin' smoke or your getting stabbed"

I turned around and screamed at them "I DON'T FCUKING SMOKE YOU STUPID JUNKIE CNUTS. COME ON THEN IF YOU WANT TO BE A FCUKING HARDMAN! I'LL BREAK YOUR FCUKING FACE!"

Without even waiting for a response I turned back around and legged it up to the taxi rank and hopped in a taxi.

I wasn't getting stabbed over nothing so it seemed like the thing to do. Hopefully it scared them for a second but I'd say they were just a bit confused. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I've lived in Limerick city for 17 years and the worst instance of violence I have witnessed personally is a guy throwing a milkshake at another guy dressed as a Tellytubby.

OP, well done. Usually when this happens, you know he's part of a much bigger group.

There is a chance that walking up and laying him out will scare the sh!te out of the rest of them, esp if he is the leader of the group, but it's a big risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I would have kept walking. One hit in the back of the head is better than risking a more aggressive fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

DarkJager wrote: »
    I wouldn't walk away from a provocation like that so fair play to you for doing so.

He says from the safety of his keyboard :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

A few years ago I would have responded. Now that I'm in my thirties I would have done what you did but would have reported him to the police as soon as I was out of sight. Chances are they would keep doing it until someone did react. Stories everyday about how someone gets knifed or badly beaten over stuipid incidents like this. I blame the parents

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Well I'm only nineteen and have been going out for the bones of three years, and I too have had no major trouble. But stories of random assaults are pretty crazy

By your age, I'd been beaten up 3 times and had several knives pulled on me. But I put it down to that age between 14-21 where young lads have something to "prove". Gosh knows what that actually is, mind.

Still doesn't stop me from going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Still, keying a car is the actions of a scumbag. I dont know anyone that would try and justify something like that, nor would I like to.

Honestly, had he hit you what would you have done? You keyed his car because he embarassed you - so I'd imagine you'd cut the breaks or stick an oily rag in his exhaust.

I keyed his car because he threatened me in a public place after I made sure his drunk as f**k girlfriend (who I know...I know most of her family in fact) could stand upright and make it home ok in a chip shop at 2:30 in the morning, where the boyfriend was nowhere in sight. Could have avoided the confrontation if I had just been a snob and completely ignore her and leave her there in a twisted state. I don't think any scummer would even do that.

If he had have punched me, I'd have went to the guards and do worse damage to his car, wouldn't go over the top with your ideas but I'd make sure he noticed it. He would more than likely have gotten away with assaulting me if I went to the guards, that stuff just gets thrown out of court. I would take it onto myself to get my own back, my way. If the justice system won't work in my favour, create your own and get the last laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

A girl started a fight with me when I spoke to her boyfriend (who I know longer than she did). She was proper full on challenging me to a fight and I was mortified. She swung for me but missed and was pulled away by security.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I normally just roar "stop, you're giving me an erection"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

mfceiling wrote: »
    I normally just roar "stop, you're giving me an erection"

Haha think Stephen Fry said that to somebody at one point, think it was when he was being bullied in school.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 moe_green

someone else refered to the fact that alcohol brings out the pacifist in them , im the same , I go quiet when drinking , had my fourth pint of the black stuff in a pub last Saturday night when this " pig " comes up behind me and hits me a punch to the back , I already have a bad back and have suffered with it since 2007 after an accident , the alcohol dulled the pain so I just made some comment to him ( it wasn't an assault , this guy is just a moron and known for it ) about how if he did it again , id hit him back , anyway , five days later and I had to go to the doc today for anti inflamatorys , damn thing is hurting bad , im furious and fully intend to bust the guy the next time I see him , you cannot let things like that go , its really bad for your self esteem to let people away with stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Yeah but just be pure evil about it... A couple of digs, no mates around , no cameras,no security,no glory, no sceals after... He know, you know ( and why )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Never happened to me, then again I don't really drink or go out much anymore.

I carry whats called a "continuity of violence" on my person at all times.
    Front right pocket, pepper spray, front left a striking tool.

Oh and also a 357 snub nose S&W (the same one as Mr White in Breaking Bad actually), you gotta love America, where your chances of a beating are probably 10X lower than in Ireland, but being shot, maybe 5x higher....

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭treborflynn

KILL KILL KILL, KILL THEM ALL!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    I keyed his car because he threatened me in a public place after I made sure his drunk as f**k girlfriend (who I know...I know most of her family in fact) could stand upright and make it home ok in a chip shop at 2:30 in the morning, where the boyfriend was nowhere in sight. Could have avoided the confrontation if I had just been a snob and completely ignore her and leave her there in a twisted state. I don't think any scummer would even do that.

If he had have punched me, I'd have went to the guards and do worse damage to his car, wouldn't go over the top with your ideas but I'd make sure he noticed it. He would more than likely have gotten away with assaulting me if I went to the guards, that stuff just gets thrown out of court. I would take it onto myself to get my own back, my way. If the justice system won't work in my favour, create your own and get the last laugh.

Nowhere in sight, but saw you talking to his girlfriend.

Sounds like you shat yourself when he approached you, you did the right thing walking away - but couldnt let him 'get the better of you' and just had to damage his car. You're a sneak, and a coward basically.

People like that DO get their comeuppance, and you probably will for keying his car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

harmoniums wrote: »
    Never happened to me, then again I don't really drink or go out much anymore.

I carry whats called a "continuity of violence" on my person at all times.
    Front right pocket, pepper spray, front left a striking tool.

Oh and also a 357 snub nose S&W (the same one as Mr White in Breaking Bad actually), you gotta love America, where your chances of a beating are probably 10X lower than in Ireland, but being shot, maybe 5x higher....

Scary stuff. I briefly carried a blade in my teens but it's foolish. Could be used against you.

Advertisement