Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you react to somebody 'starting on you' on a night out?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'd walk on a distance, call up a few friends and walk past again, accidentally hitting him with my elbow to get a rise, and then assume my ultimate form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Generally speaking I'd walk on. You've a lot more to lose than them and they're likely to outnumber (and go further) than you.

Depending on how annoyed /drunk I was, I definitely might have had a go back (or tried to get some lads to go back and mob up on them) in years gone by (and probably end up getting a hiding :)) but I'm older now and have kids.

Walking away is nowt to be ashamed of anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

I'd also have walked away.

However, I would spend the remainder of the evening think about how much I'd like to put the little scummer's head through a window :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

fussyonion wrote: »
    I was once punched in the face for no reason by another girl.

I was standing in a queue for a nightclub and this girl just punched me in the face.

Dazed, I was in so much shock I did nothing and I regretted it so much.
    I was just so upset and hurt I went home and tried to forget about it.

Fast forward two months later, I'm out shopping and as I'm loading my boot up, I glance across at the entrance to the shopping centre and I see the girl.

I could feel all my anger coming back from what she did to me, so I walked right up to her and landed her a swift one in the gob.

The look on her face, and from passers-by, was one I'll treasure forever.

Did she come after ya :D?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

Something else happened me a few years prior to this incident that probably influenced my decision to walk away.

I was with a girl from Nigeria at the time. I was in Supermacs and she was walking there with her friends. A lad passed her and said 'What's up ma nigga?' She ignored it but her friends started giving out to him. When I got out of Supermacs I saw them all having a shouting match. The girl I was with looked really uncomfortable and just didnt want to be there at all. I walked in and pushed the guy away, not aggressively, kind of like how a referee separates players scuffling in a match. He hit me twice and broke my nose. I apologised and said I didnt want any trouble.

I walked home with her and he followed us back. He eventually reached us as we got to my house and apologised for hitting me saying he doesnt let anyone push him around. He invited himself in and had a drink with us before leaving but all the time he was there he was kind of throwing his weight around. I was too much of a pussy to ask him to leave so I just hoped for the best and luckily he left after a while. This lad had been in jail a few times before, once for stabbing a guy. There wasn't a hope in hell I was going to get involved with him.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have the self control to just walk away. At the very least I would have turned and confronted him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Dont bother fighting scumbags because they will gang up on you and leave you for dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭moochers

If only taser guns were legal or better still one of those blow pipes that shoot out poison arrows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur.

moochers wrote: »
    If only taser guns were legal or better still one of those blow pipes that shoot out poison arrows.

We'd have scumbags tasering people for a laugh.

No doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Go all Jack Reacher on them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Iv been in this situation a few times. I will always try to walk/run away as my first coarse of action. Things just get ugly.

There are times when you can't simply just get out of there and you have no choice but to fight.

In my teens I got the living bollox kicked out of me by 5 lads and 2 girls, I was cornered and just stood there taking roundhouse kicks to the face. Nothing I could do but take it.

When I was 26 on the way home from a night out, 11 lads started a row with 3 of us. We won. So being outnumbered doesn't always mean outmatched.

Then there are times when you get a dig off someone and you know that if it goes any further you will end up ripping their face off and using it as a hat. So the best thing to do is walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

SV wrote: »
    It's funny, because I didn't say how I would actually react, I just said this thread would be full of internet warriors. Referring to noone in particular.
    Very over defensive, aren't you?

no , so you were not insinuating that anyone that did not toe the "walk away" line was going to be an internet warrior , and i did not say anything about how you would react , i was commenting on your internet warrior rubbish

so can you describe a internet warrior in the context of this thread please ?

very parinod aren't you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

lahalane wrote: »
    Something else happened me a few years prior to this incident that probably influenced my decision to walk away.

I was with a girl from Nigeria at the time. I was in Supermacs and she was walking there with her friends. A lad passed her and said 'What's up ma nigga?' She ignored it but her friends started giving out to him. When I got out of Supermacs I saw them all having a shouting match. The girl I was with looked really uncomfortable and just didnt want to be there at all. I walked in and pushed the guy away, not aggressively, kind of like how a referee separates players scuffling in a match. He hit me twice and broke my nose. I apologised and said I didnt want any trouble.

I walked home with her and he followed us back. He eventually reached us as we got to my house and apologised for hitting me saying he doesnt let anyone push him around. He invited himself in and had a drink with us before leaving but all the time he was there he was kind of throwing his weight around. I was too much of a pussy to ask him to leave so I just hoped for the best and luckily he left after a while. This lad had been in jail a few times before, once for stabbing a guy. There wasn't a hope in hell I was going to get involved with him.

Grow a pair ffs

Grow a pair ffs

Why?

Why?

In all fairness, he let a guy abuse his friends, punch him in the face, have a drink in his house while throwing his weight around.

Come on...

In all fairness, he let a guy abuse his friends, punch him in the face, have a drink in his house while throwing his weight around.

Come on...

He abused the girl I was with but she said she didn't care about him and just wanted to leave. When he followed us back I got the impression he was just looking for any reason to start throwing punches again. I am not going to get into an argument with a guy with his history. I swallowed my pride and let it fizzle out. He went home. We went to bed. We never had trouble with him again anytime we met him out. Since then he's been back in jail twice.

I'd do the exact same thing if it happened again.

He abused the girl I was with but she said she didn't care about him and just wanted to leave. When he followed us back I got the impression he was just looking for any reason to start throwing punches again. I am not going to get into an argument with a guy with his history. I swallowed my pride and let it fizzle out. He went home. We went to bed. We never had trouble with him again anytime we met him out. Since then he's been back in jail twice.

I'd do the exact same thing if it happened again.

You could have beat the shit out of him or call the guards to get him out of your house.

Fcuk that man.

You could have beat the shit out of him or call the guards to get him out of your house.

Fcuk that man.

Why try fight him? Chances are he's got a knife and probably wouldn't need it anyway since he's fighting all his life.

What's wrong with thinking ahead and protecting yourself from future encounters with him?

Ride it out and keep your face intact.

Why try fight him? Chances are he's got a knife and probably wouldn't need it anyway since he's fighting all his life.

What's wrong with thinking ahead and protecting yourself from future encounters with him?

Ride it out and keep your face intact.

Ah look, you're probably right.

I couldn't have done it though. I'm far from a keyboard warrior but I wouldn't put up with a little muppet throwing his weight around my house.

I didn't mean to be a dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Dublinpato

only ever had this happen to me once when i was 17-18-ish some dickhead gave me a sly one on the cheek swear to god didn't feel a thing it was like getting hit with a wet sponge but before i could react this fit burd from the estate was walking past she ran over and used herself as a meat shield stood in front of me and grabbed my arms and wrapped them around her waist and started mouthing the prick off he wen't for another shot at me but she swung me around and was putting herself in the way i tried to pull my hands out i knew i could take this wanker after his first punch but she had my hands locked around her waist he finally ****ed off anyways i owe that wanker a pint for the best night of my life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I work out regularly and am pretty strong, out of my group of friends I'd be the one expected to know what I'm at in an incident like this. But I know i'd get my ass handed to me by 99% of scumbags out there. They know the dirty tricks and have been in fifty times the confrontations I have. It's all about experience.

And despite my furious anger from being clattered over the head like the OP, if they kept walking, so would I.

Ah look, you're probably right.

I couldn't have done it though. I'm far from a keyboard warrior but I wouldn't put up with a little muppet throwing his weight around my house.

I didn't mean to be a dick.

It's ok. I'd understand your reasoning and you'd be well within your rights to try lay him out but I'm happy enough with being a pussy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

It's ok. I'd understand your reasoning and you'd be well within your rights to try lay him out but I'm happy enough with being a pussy. :)

Meh, there is no need to lay him out if you don't want to, if you can one up on him in a way where he doesn't know it was you, you still get the last laugh, and the bollocks will never know.

Beats risking injury or a conviction, even if you were in the right and you walk away satisfied.

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Meh, there is no need to lay him out if you don't want to, if you can one up on him in a way where he doesn't know it was you, you still get the last laugh, and the bollocks will never know.

Beats risking injury or a conviction, even if you were in the right and you walk away satisfied.

Ah I wouldn't have bothered. I felt sorry for him. He's screwed up his life and doesn't look like he'll ever get it together. I'm not one for holding grudges.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Kagawa10

Remember the thread I punched a child hahah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Dublinpato wrote: »
    only ever had this happen to me once when i was 17-18-ish some dickhead gave me a sly one on the cheek swear to god didn't feel a thing it was like getting hit with a wet sponge but before i could react this fit burd from the estate was walking past she ran over and used herself as a meat shield stood in front of me and grabbed my arms and wrapped them around her waist and started mouthing the prick off he wen't for another shot at me but she swung me around and was putting herself in the way i tried to pull my hands out i knew i could take this wanker after his first punch but she had my hands locked around her waist he finally ****ed off anyways i owe that wanker a pint for the best night of my life

I do not understand the motivations of the people in this story, except maybe you getting the ride off some fit mental bird, but even then it's questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

The only time I have been in this situation was in Prague, a Roma pickpocket who I had barred from the bar I was running came up started arguing with me on the street outside the bar as I was heading in to check on the night manager. I think I said something lie "you are barred, get over it" and walked on. Next thing I feel a kick in my back, which almost knocked me down.

I turn around and unclip a very large bunch of keys from my belt, but my mouth has gone dry as these lads are often expert with butterfly knives, just the week before a waitress almost got sliced in a friend's bar.

I narrow my eyes and try to look hard and start swinging the keys slowly. He turn pale and runs.

I congratulate myself on my mean look, I must be harder than I thought, when I feel a large hand on my shoulder. You OK man? It's John, my 6' 11" Nigerian bouncer who was behind me the whole time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The type of person who does that kind of thing is scum of the earth. For that reason I wouldn't retaliate, if they are that quick to throw a slap for no reason I'd imagine they'd be just as quick to pick up a bottle and glass someone. Not worth it.

If there was a guard around I'd probably mention that there was a guy/group hitting randomers trying to start fights, so they are aware of what's going on.

I don't see how retaliation will get you anywhere when they are clearly prepared to beat the **** out of anyone who turns around to them.

No respect for people like that at all, someone I once considered a good friend gets like this when he's drunk and I don't speak to him any more. Its just disgusting, and its how people get killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

dj jarvis wrote: »
    no , so you were not insinuating that anyone that did not toe the "walk away" line was going to be an internet warrior , and i did not say anything about how you would react , i was commenting on your internet warrior rubbish

so can you describe a internet warrior in the context of this thread please ?

very parinod aren't you

By internet warrior I meant anyone who comes along here saying they'd 'smash their heads in' or 'break the neck of anyone who lays a finger on me'
    It's just internet bravado and unless you're a very very unique person(as in hollywood style unique) it does not apply to real life and noone believes a word you're saying anyway.

Theres nothing tough or brave in real life about accepting a fight you could very easily be killed in.

If you were hit in the back of the head and turned around to see 5 or 6 lads staring at you waiing for you to make a move you'd run, and if you say you'd stay and fight then you're not tough, you're a fúcking idiot.

edit: also, how am I being paranoid? :confused: That makes absolutely no sense.
    Unless you actually meant parinod and that means something else but I've never heard of that word before.

Advertisement