Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you react to somebody 'starting on you' on a night out?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Had a girl that my sister used to know start on me two weeks ago in a pub, I just smirked at her and walked away. For the rest of the night she kept staring me out of it looking for a fight but I wasn't going to give in to her. I could see it was annoying her more than it was annoying me even with all the remarks she was putting my way. So well done OP for walking away. I would (have) done the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Threatening someone = scummer
    Keying someone's car = scummer

Simple.

Keying someone's car for no reason is scummy. But do you not think that some actions are justified in certain scenarios? Or are you one of those types who would think it is immoral to do anything but go to the police, make a statement and hold your breath while our fabulous justice system works its magic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Hang on, that's not quite true. These incidents often involve drink, yes, but I don't think it makes any difference whether the victim (for lack of a better word - the person being started on) was drinking. Most scumbags looking for a fight don't care if you've been drinking or not. They've probably been drinking themselves, but it's not like they only threaten people who are also drunk. I don't drink (but I do go out) and I've been started on several times.

If you go out at all you're going to get as much hassle as your drunken counterparts but one thing is that if both parties are drunk (aggressor + aggressee) then I think it's more likely to escalate than if a sober person was approached. Mr. Sober would probably have the cop on to walk away or keep his cool etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Are you kidding man? I get threatened and embarrassed in front of my friends by some wannabe pikey, and in turn ruining the night out for me after I made sure HIS girlfriend was alright, and I'm the scummer for making his day suck in turn? Karma never gets f**kers like him, so I gave my own.

He deserved what he got, FACT

Still, keying a car is the actions of a scumbag. I dont know anyone that would try and justify something like that, nor would I like to.

Honestly, had he hit you what would you have done? You keyed his car because he embarassed you - so I'd imagine you'd cut the breaks or stick an oily rag in his exhaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

Keying someone's car for no reason is scummy. But do you not think that some actions are justified in certain scenarios? Or are you one of those types who would think it is immoral to do anything but go to the police, make a statement and hold your breath while our fabulous justice system works its magic?

He threatened him, and "embarrassed him" in front of his friends. Unjustified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I was in a bar in lurgan a few years back, my first time there so apart from the few friends I was with I didnt know anyone. Bar was pretty packed so we were squeezing past some people when out of nowhere, very deliberately and slyly, this cunt hits me a sneaky elbow just below my ribs, pure winded me. I said nothing and move on but this waste of oxygen keeps eying me up all night.
    Eventually I had enough, walked over to near the door where the bouncers were, caught his eye and very clearly mouthed "fuck you" to him.
    He lost it and came tearing across the bar at me. I took my phone out as if i was just standin there where it was quieter to make a phone call. He didnt get within two feet of me when the bouncers planted the fucking moron and dragged him out.
    I act all shocked, "What the Hell was that about?" And they tell me he's well known for trouble and picking random fights.
    A big bar brawl between my friends and his would have gotten us all kicked out and us all blamed equally, possible even gotten us arrested.
    It can be difficult letting these barely human degenerates get away with their scumbaggery but a cool head is the best approach in the long run.
    I mean, where's the advantage of squaring up to them? Either they beat and possibly seriously injure or kill you, or you beat the shit out of them and get dragged up in front of a court.

That said, this was at the start of the night, a slightly more hammered Crooked Jack would probably have done something stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

lahalane wrote: »
    A while ago I was walking out of the nightclub and as I was passing some lads in tracksuits outside, one of them hit me in the back of the head. I kept walking without looking back and there was no follow up.

As drunk as I was I thought that it was the only was to avoid confrontation in the scenario. I would have gained nothing by turning around to deal with him.

Obviously if he had continued his assault I would have had to be forced to defend myself but luckily it came to nothing.

What would you have done in a situation like that?

Is your pride more important than your physical well being?

Would you care if people considered you to be a 'pussy'?

If you think I was a pussy in that situation then you will feel clarified of your opinion when you read post 66 in this thread.

I would react alright, by hitting the soft nerve plexus and the side of the neck and putting them safely on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

sounds like you were outnumbered & did the smart thing OP, and in any case...a lot of these ****s would not think twice about putting a screwdriver or knife in you if you were winning and brag to their mates when your Death notice is in the paper . .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

SV wrote: »
    This thread is going to contain a shít load of internet warriors.

And the gas thing is I've spotted about 4 people already who have acted the big man, and I know that in real life they can barely lift a sponge :D

Depends on the situation, if I'm alone and it's a group I'd probably just move along, unless it was persistent then I'd get involved.

I think the whole landscape on this issue has changed in the last 5-10 years. 10 years ago if someone "started on me" I'd be up for a scrap and have a go. Nowadays you'd fear for the other person having a concealed blade and the likes. So it's most often not worth the hassle.

Last fight I was in was outside a nightclub where some drunken self proclaimed hard man randomly "started" on one of the lads. Mate is a shy enough type, seemingly bumped into him inside and made him top a bit of his pint. He got two warnings to **** off then he got some slaps. That was a good 6-7 years ago.

Another mate in recent years got bottled and then stabbed in the face with the sharp remains petruding from the smashed bottle. Massive facial damage, facial reconstruction required and plastic surgery. Will suffer nerve pain for the rest of his life.

And this was a case of mistaken identity, where in court, the defendant claimed how " His county's ability at GAA games was slagged"

As someone who has been in plenty of rows and never backed down I've completely changed my outlook on this scenario, you simply just don't know what little nacker is hiding a blade or going to use a bottle etc.

I won't even derail the thread by mentioning every second sham saying how they know "MMA"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm a terrible man for not being able to walk away from this kind of thing, and it has lead to me getting the **** kicked out of me by what turned out to be large groups of lads on two occasions. I've never started a fight, but I've never walked away from one either.

One time it happened on O'Connell Bridge, my then girlfriend saw these two guys harassing a homeless lad who was just sitting there in a sleeping bag. She intervened and told them to leave him alone, so naturally I stepped up and told them to leave it out. They started to get aggressive and instead of walking away I stood my ground. What started with me versus two lads ended up with me and two of my friends versus about 12 lads. Needless to say my head was like a balloon the next day.

The other time I was in Manchester with a friend and it was late at night when out of nowhere a gang of ~15 lads started on my friend. Instead of running like we should have, we stayed and tried to defend ourselves. That time it was his head that ended up like a balloon and we spent the rest of the night / morning in A&E. Fortunately the police over there were superb and arrived very quickly, caught 8 of the guys who ultimately ended up serving stints in prison (from 1.5 to 3 years). It was even in the paper with photos from the CCTV.

I've been involved in other little scuffs, but nothing like those. I like to think I'd have the sense to just walk (or run) away now and that is exactly what I would advise to anyone else who finds themselves in a similar situation. You could end up dead a lot more easily than you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

seems a lot of people blame the younger guys for this but I remember once it was a pair of middle aged lads who started with us, when we were about 17/18ish.

One of the lads who tended to get carried away after a few cans left the green and was running up on cars, as if he was hopping them.

Two guys came out of their house, real middle class looking dads, one of them grabs joxer by the neck and is all up in his grill, no way where the boys taking this, about 10 of us swarmed on the two steamers and suffice to say they were well battered.

I doubt they will be out starting rows with young lads after they learnt that lesson.

Leftist wrote: »
    seems a lot of people blame the younger guys for this but I remember once it was a pair of middle aged lads who started with us, when we were about 17/18ish.

One of the lads who tended to get carried away after a few cans left the green and was running up on cars, as if he was hopping them.

Two guys came out of their house, real middle class looking dads, one of them grabs joxer by the neck and is all up in his grill, no way where the boys taking this, about 10 of us swarmed on the two steamers and suffice to say they were well battered.

I doubt they will be out starting rows with young lads after they learnt that lesson.

I strongly blame the youth coming up, and for the record, I'm only in my 20's.

There is a totally different outlook and mentality. Like I said, blades, knifes, not even in self defence. The rise of youths simply just randomly stabbing or slashing people is mindless. Alot of it doesn't hit the news. My partners is from Malahide, and in the last 12 months three individuals have been unprovokingly stabbed or bottled in the town. A place you would normally assosiate with a good safe night out.

So your mate ran over cars, probably trampling the relatively soft exteriors, and when two middle aged men came out to get you to **** off and give you a little fright, ten of you battered them?

You know your total scum right?

I'm very much assuming that's a troll post by the way you wrote it, but if not, your a dirty little scrout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I think it's you and your friends come across as the arseholes here.

You friend drunkenly jumps all over someones car, and when they remonstrate with them (I'm assuming that's what being "all up in their grill" means), you gang up on them and beat them.

Well done, you're tremendously tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I really hope you are just bullsh1tting here because if not then you are an even bigger scum bag than the knackers op is talking about.

Mod

Leftist - quit trolling.

Everyone else - don't feed him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

bumper234 wrote: »
    I really hope you are just bullsh1tting here because if not then you are an even bigger scum bag than the knackers op is talking about.

how so?

like I said the two geezers had a hold of the young man, shaking him, about ready to hit him by the looks of it, one of them was threatening to hit him, and soon.

Looks to me like too middle aged big boys asked for a fight and got one. it wasn't a problem for them when they were outnumbering a scrawny little kid on which they presumed was on his own.

how so?

like I said the two geezers had a hold of the young man, shaking him, about ready to hit him by the looks of it, one of them was threatening to hit him, and soon.

Looks to me like too middle aged big boys asked for a fight and got one. it wasn't a problem for them when they were outnumbering a scrawny little kid on which they presumed was on his own.

Mod

Don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

For the record, no-one has ever "started" on me, because apparently even as a youngfella I looked like an off-duty NSA goon! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

I was attacked one night and without thinking,i punched him numerous times incredibly fast,breaking his nose and busting his lip in the process,not to mention his head cracked a pub window as he fell back,i was both relieved and slightly proud as im a lover not a fighter.

this guy was just out of jail for a stabbing, so i was even more relieved when i bumped in to him weeks later and he just said hi. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

TheDoc wrote: »
    I strongly blame the youth coming up, and for the record, I'm only in my 20's.

There is a totally different outlook and mentality. Like I said, blades, knifes, not even in self defence. The rise of youths simply just randomly stabbing or slashing people is mindless. Alot of it doesn't hit the news. My partners is from Malahide, and in the last 12 months three individuals have been unprovokingly stabbed or bottled in the town. A place you would normally assosiate with a good safe night out.

happened one of my friends on a night out, outside the nightclub he was talking to some girl and someone gave him a hard shoulder when walking by, my friend told him to be careful, the guy turned around said something to him and gave him a dig in the stomach and walked away, my friend didn't think it was worth the hassle of going after him and went back talking to the girl, it was then she pointed out to him that there was blood all over his shirt, he was stabbed with a screwdriver or needle, lucky enough he got test results back that showed he got no diseases off whatever he was stabbed with, it just show it takes nothing these days to have scum do this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

allibastor wrote: »
    I would react alright, by hitting the soft nerve plexus and the side of the neck and putting them safely on the ground.
    Yes Chuck, Yes you would. And when you do push up you dont push yourself up, you push the world down.
    And Superman wears Chuck Allibaster Norris jammies.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

allibastor wrote: »

Ahaha best post iv seen on boards, right here. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Jesus this thread is making me nervous about going out on a night out ever again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

Jesus this thread is making me nervous about going out on a night out ever again!

I've been going out ten years and only ever really had the two altercations I mentioned so I like to think it's rare. It wouldn't stop me going out.

lahalane wrote: »
    I've been going out ten years and only ever really had the two altercations I mentioned so I like to think it's rare. It wouldn't stop me going out.

Well I'm only nineteen and have been going out for the bones of three years, and I too have had no major trouble. But stories of random assaults are pretty crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Serious incidents can tend to put people off nights out though....

I can only speak for myself but the last time i was "started on" was waiting for a taxi from a friends 21st in 2009 around 3am. Was with 3 other guys all dressed as you would for a night out.

Bunch of lads approached us who were not dressed for a night out. I was sat on a wall, first guy struck me on the left side of my head with a Monkey Wrench or similar, and 2nd guy decided to break a bottle of Bud over the right side of my head.

All in all, got the equivalent of 23 stitches (staples) in my head and to this day i can usually be found on Boards at 3am instead of falling out of nightclubs or pubs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Well I'm only nineteen and have been going out for the bones of three years, and I too have had no major trouble. But stories of random assaults are pretty crazy

dont let it bother you too much, that is the only one major thing that has happened ever from our group, maybe one or two fights but they were broken up before they even started

In answer to the OP's original question, what would I do if I got started on? Probably not a lot. Unless I was actually being assaulted I would be reluctant enough to throw a punch tbh, I've never been in a fight (not that I want to) and don't fancy myself as a hard man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Id avoid confrontation as much as possible really. Im a big enough guy, 6"3 and am in pretty good shape physically, so it might deter people from starting ****. But even still its not worth it, as others have said, who knows if someones got a blade on them, or even a bottle handy, you could wind up getting truly ****ed up. Or if you punch them in the face and they hit their head and die, youre up on manslaughter. Not worth it, just walk away, leave the heroics to internet hardmen.

Advertisement