Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milkround Offers 2013/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What happens if you miss out on a CAP1 exemption? Are you pretty screwed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

ryanf1 wrote: »
    What happens if you miss out on a CAP1 exemption? Are you pretty screwed?

Which one? Some people go into training contracts with no exemptions.

Financial Accounting. I messed up an exam yesterday which means I will fall short of the criteria.

Financial Accounting. I messed up an exam yesterday which means I will fall short of the criteria.

I dunno, I mean, I know of someone who got a training contract coming from a science degree!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Check the details of your contract

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

Can you not repeat it to get the exemption?

jubella wrote: »
    Can you not repeat it to get the exemption?
    No I dont think so. You need an average grade over certain modules to qualify for exemptions so for me to get Financial Accountiing I needed a B2 to bring my average to where it needed to be and I dont think I got that.
    If I fail it, which I dont think I did, then I can repeat but not otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

No I dont think so. You need an average grade over certain modules to qualify for exemptions so for me to get Financial Accountiing I needed a B2 to bring my average to where it needed to be and I dont think I got that.
    If I fail it, which I dont think I did, then I can repeat but not otherwise

Ah ok, I know in my college we can repeat even if we don't fail in order to get exemptions - it's probably different in other colleges though. Either way go to your department and ask, no harm!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hamm

I applied to all of the top ten accounting firms and a countless number of industry graduate jobs during the milkrounds. Unfortunately, I only got one last minute interview in which I was rejected.

Being honest, I have found the complete lack of interest in me quite surprising because I have good grades (2.1,2.1 & 1.1 in 1st - 3rd year) and I held managerial roles in accounting and finance positions. I feel the problem lies with my 300 point Leaving Cert.

When I was applying for graduate programmes during the Milkrounds I didn't tick the box to state that I would be interested in doing a Masters in Accounting, but I've slowly come to the realization that it's probably a good option if I don't secure a trainee contract before my final 4th year exams in May. But I can't afford to do a masters without funding from a firm. I know this is a long shot but does anyone know if any of the big firms would be likely to consider interviewing me on the basis of giving me sponsorship towards a masters if I contacted them and told them that my circumstances have changed and that I'm interested in doing a masters, or has that ship sailed a long time ago?

Hi hamm, did you apply to the Microsoft grad programme, out of interest? Did you hear anything back?

As to your query... I dunno. You not ticking the box might not be why you didn't get more interviews. I made around 15 applications in total (~ 7 at the milkround time and some later ones) - I have 480 LC points, including a higher B in Maths and English, a 2.1 degree (science though) and am doing an Accounting PgDip which gives me a number of exemptions.

I got one interview, with KPMG (unsuccessful). Most firms, I didn't even hear back from. It's likely my applications just weren't up to scratch. But I wouldn't contact firms that didn't give me an interview on the basis that my application fell short. They made their decision.

Training contracts tend to be advertised again later in the year, so I'd focus your attention on that, if I were you! :) It is likely that your LC might be an issue too, but I don't know. They do seem a tad hung up on points, I think because it shows you're consistent across different types of exams, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Aine20

Anyone accept Deloitte Audit for Dublin :)

I'm starting to look into smaller firms now. Seen one called beechwood partners that I like. Ad says they are seeking "high calibre graduates" but it doesn't specify anything in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

I'm starting to look into smaller firms now. Seen one called beechwood partners that I like. Ad says they are seeking "high calibre graduates" but it doesn't specify anything in particular.

I interviewed for them through a recruitment agency haven't heard anything back. They specify in tax. The recruiter called them a "tax boutique" He was very scrutinising of my results so i'd say they are looking for a very high standard. Hope that helps!

cat_xx wrote: »
    I interviewed for them through a recruitment agency haven't heard anything back. They specify in tax. The recruiter called them a "tax boutique" He was very scrutinising of my results so i'd say they are looking for a very high standard. Hope that helps!

What kinds of things did they ask about your results?

What kinds of things did they ask about your results?

Why weren't they better essentially! I have a 2.2 corporate law degree and then I did a LLB to get a 2.1 and now im doing tax exams. I got nowhere with a 2.2.

The thing about applying to smaller firms is they only take on 1 or 2 people. Keep trying for the bigger firms and try to get help with your applications from career services because they know exactly how to answer the questions.

Why weren't they better essentially! I have a 2.2 corporate law degree and then I did a LLB to get a 2.1 and now im doing tax exams. I got nowhere with a 2.2.

The thing about applying to smaller firms is they only take on 1 or 2 people. Keep trying for the bigger firms and try to get help with your applications from career services because they know exactly how to answer the questions.

I'm expecting to get a 2:2 business degree too, I find the bigger firms have no interest if you don't have a 2:1.
    I do have some personal things which I would hope might help in explaining why my grades are not top notch but for me are very good considering what I've dealt with. Maybe not though.

I'm expecting to get a 2:2 business degree too, I find the bigger firms have no interest if you don't have a 2:1.
    I do have some personal things which I would hope might help in explaining why my grades are not top notch but for me are very good considering what I've dealt with. Maybe not though.

Is there no hope of getting a 2.1? Surely you have summer exams that could pull you up? I do know it is easier said than done though from my own experience!

Is there no hope of getting a 2.1? Surely you have summer exams that could pull you up? I do know it is easier said than done though from my own experience!
    It would take a miracle but never say never, I'm a good bit away from it so it would mean getting A's in nearly all exams which is not a realistic aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

I was sitting on a high 3rd lower 2.2 in after Christmas exams, pulled it up to 3% off a 2.1 so it's not impossible, of course it depends on your attitude and the college system on exams, and likewise I had personal issue for most of my college life, so you can do it, but it's a lot of work and sacrifice!

With regard to salary, does the minimum wage apply to training contracts?

• Advertisement

With regard to salary, does the minimum wage apply to training contracts?

20,500 - 21,500 seems to be the going rate for the big 4 and mid tier firms this year inc. Dublin. Might be a bit higher for tax?

cat xx, do you know what your starting salary will be if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 xiongnu

I think 22,500 is the starting salary for a bachelor's, don't know what other firms are though, just assuming they wouldnt be any less.

Hi April

I meant to apply to Microsoft but forgot to in the end. Did you?

I think most of the firms use LC points as the first filter for applications. Not to sound bitter but it's annoying to hear about my classmates with a better LC get multiple interviews with the big firms while I have been consistently getting 20-30% more than them in exams over 3rd and 4th year and I got one lousy last minute interview with a top 10 firm and countless PFO emails after the deadline.

That's good to know that more contracts will be advertised again.
    Hi hamm, did you apply to the Microsoft grad programme, out of interest? Did you hear anything back?

As to your query... I dunno. You not ticking the box might not be why you didn't get more interviews. I made around 15 applications in total (~ 7 at the milkround time and some later ones) - I have 480 LC points, including a higher B in Maths and English, a 2.1 degree (science though) and am doing an Accounting PgDip which gives me a number of exemptions.

I got one interview, with KPMG (unsuccessful). Most firms, I didn't even hear back from. It's likely my applications just weren't up to scratch. But I wouldn't contact firms that didn't give me an interview on the basis that my application fell short. They made their decision.

Training contracts tend to be advertised again later in the year, so I'd focus your attention on that, if I were you! :) It is likely that your LC might be an issue too, but I don't know. They do seem a tad hung up on points, I think because it shows you're consistent across different types of exams, I guess.

Does anyone know how many weeks study leave the big firms give for ACA exams each year, and what is the norm in industry for ACCA?

hamm wrote: »
    Hi April

I meant to apply to Microsoft but forgot to in the end. Did you?

I did. Filled in an evaluation form they sent, no reply yet. If I pass, the next stage is a phone interview. I have no idea if they send the evaluation form to everyone who applies though.

LC points aren't always a guarantee of an interview. One of my classmates got 500+ points and a 2.1 and only got one interview.

Did you analyse your applications to see where you might have gone wrong? Perhaps they came across a bit complacent or something?

April, I don't know. I'd guess only some of the applicants get the evaluation form as they look to cull the numbers at each stage.

It got to the stage where I was so fed up by the umpteenth application that I was just rejigging my answers from other applications, in order to meet the deadlines, so I'm sure I made loads of stupid mistakes.

hamm wrote: »
    It got to the stage where I was so fed up by the umpteenth application that I was just rejigging my answers from other applications, in order to meet the deadlines, so I'm sure I made loads of stupid mistakes.

Well, there'll have to be places available later on in the year because some people get multiple offers and can only accept one! :)

If you send an application via email can you expect any form of acknowledgement?

If you send an application via email can you expect any form of acknowledgement?

I haven't for most of my email applications. A couple of them, yes, but most, no.

• Advertisement

Even a line saying thank you for your application or something like that would be nice. Lets you know it got to them.

Advertisement