Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milkround Offers 2013/2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭blackwhite

No, I'm not a qualified Accountant, and you're right, I havent worked in IA.
    Having recruited for a long time for Big 4's, I know how difficult it is to get people to do it! I dont put on the sell, ever, on people, in IA, they know the score.

The things is though, to get into a leading corporate, say a Smurfit, CRH, DCC, Fyffes, Kerry, IDB, Glanbia etc., everybody wants the sexy group/analyst roles which whilst attainable, are really reserved for the top 5% of candidates. If that's you, great. But for most people, this is not an option.

Having placed alot of Internal Auditors down the years, in companies mentioned above, we see what happens on the other side. Most do their stint and then move into a subsidiary eventually moving back to Group.

Of course, some people stay in internal audit and become highly successful at it, not unlike someone going to partner level in a firm. Its not for everyone, but it should be discussed as an option and not just blatantly dismissed.

That's pretty much true of internal audit. I think you're probably seeing such resistance to because anyone looking to leave the Big 4 is more than likely looking to get away from audit, whilst anyone (who is worth hiring) that wants to stay in audit will likely stay in their firm!

TBH I wouldn't fancy trying to recruit for an IA job, most people will be set against anything with audit in the name :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 xiongnu

Salmon2013 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea of the sort of pay increases one may expect during their training contract?
    Surely as you pass each set of exams you can expect annual increases as 21500 is fairly poor for 3.5 years....

Which company pays 21500? My starting is 22500, still pretty paltry. I applied for PwC London and passed the phone interview to go to an assessment centre, if I got that job they'd pay like EUR10,000 more. Gah. I think I'm sticking with Dublin though even if I am gonna end up living in a rented shoebox :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Salmon2013

xiongnu wrote: »
    Which company pays 21500? My starting is 22500, still pretty paltry. I applied for PwC London and passed the phone interview to go to an assessment centre, if I got that job they'd pay like EUR10,000 more. Gah. I think I'm sticking with Dublin though even if I am gonna end up living in a rented shoebox :(

Deloitte and KPMG both started on 21500 without a masters and 22500 with one last year... PwC would not disclose last years salary to me but I've heard it may be slightly higher....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

TBH, 10,000 extra isn't that great for London, it's ridiculously expensive to live in. The regional UK rates would be far lower, I'd imagine.

I don't find London that much more expensive than Dublin at all!

• Advertisement

I don't find London that much more expensive than Dublin at all!

Are you joking? There's a reason many London-based jobs include a 'London Allowance' - it is far more expensive to live in than Dublin. Rents in crappy London house-shares would make you weep, never mind if you just want a two-bed with a friend or something. It's cheaper if you live farther out, but the transport costs quickly make up the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

Are you joking? There's a reason many London-based jobs include a 'London Allowance' - it is far more expensive to live in than Dublin. Rents in crappy London house-shares would make you weep, never mind if you just want a two-bed with a friend or something. It's cheaper if you live farther out, but the transport costs quickly make up the difference.

Not to mention commuting. For someone who commutes an hour each way to work to equally enjoy their job as someone who lives on the door step of work they must receive an extra 40% in compensation. That's a massive difference. When you compare Dublin with London, you can live within walking distance of all the Big 4 Dublin offices or a 15 minute Luas ride for a relatively decent rent rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 CommerceKid

Acc7777 wrote: »
    List of who audits the 1000 biggest companies in Ireland

http://www.top1000.ie/auditors

Exactly what I wanted!!

Thank you!!

Kiltennel wrote: »
    Not to mention commuting. For someone who commutes an hour each way to work to equally enjoy their job as someone who lives on the door step of work they must receive an extra 40% in compensation. That's a massive difference. When you compare Dublin with London, you can live within walking distance of all the Big 4 Dublin offices or a 15 minute Luas ride for a relatively decent rent rate.

The poster might be thinking in terms of stuff like food and booze, which wouldn't be any more expensive in London and maybe cheaper in some cases, but transport and accommodation are through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

blackwhite wrote: »
    That's pretty much true of internal audit. I think you're probably seeing such resistance to because anyone looking to leave the Big 4 is more than likely looking to get away from audit, whilst anyone (who is worth hiring) that wants to stay in audit will likely stay in their firm!

TBH I wouldn't fancy trying to recruit for an IA job, most people will be set against anything with audit in the name :D

If you were starting out again as a young graduate what would you advise -

Masters or straight start?

Which area within audit do you believe offers the better opportunities if you wanted to remain in practice following qualification.

I know that I am asking a lot of questions however you are one of the only posters with he experience to offer an opinion and to date your answers have be very helpful.

• Advertisement

The poster might be thinking in terms of stuff like food and booze, which wouldn't be any more expensive in London and maybe cheaper in some cases, but transport and accommodation are through the roof.

Is this really relevant to the topic of this thread?

MLC61 wrote: »
    Is this really relevant to the topic of this thread?

You know where the report button is, right?

And the poster was discussing the much higher starting salary in London. I think it's definitely relevant to point the reasons why it's much higher.

You appear to jump on a lot of my posts for some reason. Get over it, nobody cares.

Has anyone heard from Smith and Williamson or RBK? Not too arsed at this stage, just curious really!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭blackwhite

If you were starting out again as a young graduate what would you advise -

Masters or straight start?

Which area within audit do you believe offers the better opportunities if you wanted to remain in practice following qualification.

I know that I am asking a lot of questions however you are one of the only posters with he experience to offer an opinion and to date your answers have be very helpful.

If the opportunity to be sponsored to do a Masters is there then I think you'd be mad not to - although I may be biased because I did a Masters myself :P

I did the old FAEs, but from what I understand the newer syllabus retains the tradition of CAP2 (old Prof 3) being the hardest set of exams. A Masters which gives you exemptions from this is a smart move. A Masters is tough, but you'll have a lot more lecture hours, a lot more study time and exposure to the people who set the exams. I'd look at it as giving yourself a more dedicated preparation time than trying to work, attend lectures and study up until the few weeks of study leave before the exams.

If you're not going to be sponsored then you need to weigh up the financial pros and cons as well as the above.

From a work point of view, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. You'll be paid €1k a year more than a non-masters person (which is shag all difference in monthly take home pay) but the type of work you get, how you are rated will come down to how well you do the job.

If you are looking to remain in practice within Big 4 then the department won't make a whole lot of difference. Each department will have promotional prospects all the way up to partner level - I don't know about other firms, but in PwC since the departments were re-alligned they are all big enough (in Dublin at least) that there aren't any major promotion bottlenecks.
    If you want to set up your own practice in future, or move to a smaller firm then you are better off having non-FS experience. The FS sector (in general - there are a few exceptions) rarely hires non Top-10 firms for services, so having an FS background just won't be as attractive to a smaller firm.

I lived in London for 3 years and when it comes to the prices of food/entertainment/durables etc, its not unreasonable and ok compared to London. However, it's true the commute would be longer and the shorter commute in Dublin is definitely a good factor!

I lived in London for 3 years and when it comes to the prices of food/entertainment/durables etc, its not unreasonable and ok compared to London. However, it's true the commute would be longer and the shorter commute in Dublin is definitely a good factor!

Like I said, food, booze etc. wouldn't be more expensive but that's not where the massive extra costs come from. I don't know if you've ever lived in Dublin, but if you have, I'm shocked if you think it's nearly as expensive to live in as London. It's really not.

You know where the report button is, right?

And the poster was discussing the much higher starting salary in London. I think it's definitely relevant to point the reasons why it's much higher.

You appear to jump on a lot of my posts for some reason. Get over it, nobody cares.

I wasn't aware that I had "jumped" on a lot of your posts, in fact I'm pretty sure that I haven't.
    However - I have no wish to offend you and if I have, I apologise.

I still dont see the relevance of the price of groceries in the UK v's Ire to Milkround Offers. But you're right - I can ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 moneyonmymind

Anyone going to the EY welcome night next week? It sounds like it will be a good night

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TG860

Anyone going to the EY welcome night next week? It sounds like it will be a good night

Yeah, I'll be heading there. (Dundrum)
    Can't say I'm a fan of fashion but I suppose it'll be nice to get a feel for the people so soon.
    Might even knock some christmas shopping out of the way seeing as I'm making the journey. :P
    Beflan wrote: »
    EY welcome night? I didn't think anyone was looking to go there unless you were desperate.

Cheers, that snide post was very useful.
    Just because you got a bad vibe from them doesn't mean everyone did. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 moneyonmymind

EY welcome night? I didn't think anyone was looking to go there unless you were desperate.

Great attitude. Least i don't have to look forward to working with you

• Advertisement

Great attitude. Least i don't have to look forward to working with you

Can you imagine?
    The idea that anyone with a big 4 position is desperate is laughable.

I know, right? You'd only get the chance to be involved in audits of tiny two-bit operations such as Google and Oracle! Craptastic or what? :rolleyes::pac:

http://www.top1000.ie/auditors/ernst-young

I wasn't aware that I had "jumped" on a lot of your posts, in fact I'm pretty sure that I haven't.
    However - I have no wish to offend you and if I have, I apologise.

I still dont see the relevance of the price of groceries in the UK v's Ire to Milkround Offers. But you're right - I can ignore it.

Talking about costs of living (which includes costs of everyday items that the poster probably didn't experience any great difference in)... comparing trainee salaries through traineeships got in the milkround... no, not getting it? OK then.

Found the ignore feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Yeah I will be, any idea what the dress code is?

Looking forward to the voucher anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Comments like that are not appropriate for here. I personally wouldn't want to work for them but thats my own preference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Found the ignore feature.

No need, s/he's been banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bunnythebunny

Anyone hear back from Deloitte?????? I havent got anything after my interview on 7th!!!! I am so greyyyyyyyy the longest month Nov!!! Anyone ??????

I know of someone who got a call today from them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bunnythebunny

I know of someone who got a call today from them.
    I still havent got call yet.. so just waiting for the reject email so that i can move on...
    when did ur friend get it?

which service line does he/she apply for???

Advertisement